/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Custom Water Cooling Solution Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Remember: Try not to be rude to people who just want help, but don't tolerate people who don't accept help.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/
intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-sound-technology.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/4xqPvV
pcpartpicker.com/product/tHckcf/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4blw
pcpartpicker.com/product/9XL7YJ/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bkw
pcpartpicker.com/list/FWpzpb
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201032
pcpartpicker.com/list/CBC4Ps
i.imgur.com/zT3XB7H.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've only used ASRock, so I don't really know.

Second for LinusTechTips

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/
>Intel Smart Sound Technology
intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-sound-technology.html
>Activate your PC from Microsoft Modern Standby* with just your voice—leaving your hands and eyes free to do other tasks. With Intel® Wake on Voice your device waits and listens for your command without consuming excessive power and battery life. You can also personalize devices to respond to your voice only so that you won’t enable other Intel Wake on Voice-enabled devices at the same time.

So what does the NSA use to listen to me on B150 chipsets?

I am going to buy a Windows 10 OEM key by Microsoft at it's full value of ninety United States dollars and and seventy-two cents from Amazon.com.

one 16GB, two 8GB or four 4GB RAM sticks?

Disregarding flexibility for future updates, just in terms of performance.

Dude you just need to start all over from the ground up. Ain't nothing you're going to be doing with a Dell motherboard worth the potential hassles.

Based.

SmartCuck Technology

Assuming your board doesn't use quad channel, two 8gb.

>touched the heatsink on my RAM
>computer crashed in a horrific manner

Hmm

Putting the trip on and coming back to these threads because some of the advice I've read in the past 2 or 3 days has been straight up horrible. Hope nobody listened to all of the retards in the last thread. JFC.

Depends on the motherboard. X99 supports quad channel so if you have 4 sticks they'll be slightly faster than running 2 of the same total RAM amount in dual channel. It's not a make or break difference though. Realistically 2x8 GB is fine, especially on non-X99, where it's your best option.

If I was able to avoid dell and build my machine from bits I would. Trust me. That's how I built my last machine back in 2010. But the whole caveat now is that I basically have to find the least shit thing at dell at my pricepoint. Either that or find a comparable canadian service willing to build a not shit machine for me and ship that.

It sucks and I could get a better machine for way cheaper if I built it myself but that's not an option. Nor I do know anyone who could do it FOR me, hence buying a prebuilt from a service.

Xeon 3075 on the G965 chipset

Possible or nah?

Taking an HP Rp5700 and ricing it for fun. Including a full internal paintjob, red/black fans, LED's and other autism

Motherboard : EVGA X99 FTW K Intel Socket LGA-2011-3 with DDR4 3200MHz+ DIMM LGA 2011-3 Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-5820K 0 GT/s 6-Cores FCLGA2011-3 Desktop Processor

Am I still a retard

So get one with a not shit cpu and stick a gpu in it. That's what I did with my first pc

Reposting from >Adobe suite with large and many files, possibly inside a VM
i5 or i7?

>Everything is out of stock
>Price would increase by 25% because of it
I hope it's only because of the christmas sales and whatever.

Get a prebuilt before you hurt yourself or anyone else....

i7. Hyperthreading is your friend for things like that.

y

Why isn't it an option? Discount with Dell or something?

What socket is that motherboard? Is it LGA775? I think that CPU will fit in the socket but no idea if it will boot. Could be worth a try.

It's fine if you can afford it. Stop posting now. What the hell is your question? Yes, it will work. Yes, it will play games. What do you want from us?

must have missed this, but what are you using this build for?

I...I just want to be friends....I'm like 40 years old guys....

rate m y build please
cpu: intel
graphics: nvidia
memory: 1tb ssd
mouse: razer naga
keyboard: cherry mx

high end gaming I guess?

8/8

Don't forget the corsair and the coolermaster

Which nvidia cards don't require external power?

if you're not content creating, you don't need an i7, go with an i5 6600k, save yourself like 100 dollars.
you also probably don't need 32gb of ram, go with 16 at the most and upgrade later if you really want, again you save yourself around 100 dollars or more there.
otherwise you're on the right track, i don't think you necessarily need 850 watts of power but it probably can't hurt in the long run, just know you can probably downgrade comfortably with that.

It's an i7 with a GTX 1080 if that's not shit?

Gift Cards. It's too late to get em swapped for parts places so I figure make the best of it and get a machine. Just so long as the specs aren't garbage. Catch is a bunch of shit goes off sale in a day or two so I'm basically stuck trying to research a bunch of shit before I end up getting (what I assume will be) a much worse deal after this boxing week sale finishes.

But even after talking directly with their help service multiple times I got told they didn't know the mobo info and then later didn't divulge that info due to policies. Then found a service manual with a manufacturing number that has no real information about it online. So I'm not really going to know until it arrives but from what I can discern the specs aren't that bad.

I completed my build but there's no fucking display, pls help ;_;

Part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/4xqPvV

Here's my problem: Despite all my fans working, my mobo lighting up, and even my GPU and CPU fans working, there is no display on the computer.

I have tried using the motherboard port, trying different memory card orientations, choosing a different monitor, and double checking all the proper connections. None of these methods worked.

I can provide additional photos/details..

Is your ram in all the way?

Do you have a speaker on the board to hear if it posts?

Is there a single board computer can replace a 2006 PC?

Going to get a GTX1060, can anyone recommend which card to get? I'd like one under 10 inches.

what's the best non-meme sub-$100 case with a window panel a poorfag like me can buy?

check your input mode on you monitor

show us a photo of the back of the pc plz??

Fractal has some nice looking windowed cases around the 70-100 dollar range. never used them but they have good ratings.

meant to link this second:
pcpartpicker.com/product/9XL7YJ/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bkw

Alright well just buy it brah then we can be 5820k brahs in a speccy thread together.

Certain versions of the 750ti, 950, 1050, 1050 ti.

Monitor input mode like the other user said. Sounds stupid but just need to make sure. This is why it's always good to hook up a cheap speaker to a new build to diagnose POST issues.

Define R5. Don't get a window case though.

Yes.
Ach, I don't know if this MoBo has a speaker. There are no beeps however.

I've tried different monitors, no use. The monitor worked fine with my old build too...
Back as in where I am connecting the monitor?
I don't think that's the case but I will check it out. What do I look out for?

Your monitor might have inputs for HDMI/Displayport/DVI. Make sure you're having it search for the right input.

yes, where all the cords plug in

It is checking for DVI, which is the cord I'm using.

Pic related

Also something of note, I plugged in my keyboard and nothing lit up. Does this mean anything?

What is the difference/advantages/disadvantages to a "mini" graphics card and its standard version?

try plugging into the motherboard

Anyone ever shipped to a fedex location with newegg?

How long do they hold the packages until it get sent back to the sender?

Still nothing

it's smaller, so it's good for small cases.
But those are for wimps.
get an internal exhaust GPU and a couple extra fans on top of the case.

you got a hdmi cable to try?

anyone? can odroid c2 play doom 3?

Already did my friend.

pcpartpicker.com/list/FWpzpb
How does my build look?

Getting an SSD for my OS. Samsung 850 has been recommended to me, looking at 250GB.
Do I really need a pro or will an evo do?

well.....good luck

Evo will do.

Looks good, nearly identical to mine.

So we've ruled out the monitor being fucked right? It works with other PCs?

If so, and if your integrated graphics don't work, either
1) the motherboard is fucked, or
2) your RAM is fucked

Without a speaker to diagnose whether or not you're POSTing it's hard to be more specific than that. Either fire up the RMAs or buy a cheap speaker.

Looks like it will work, no idea how well though. Found a forum post about it from a few years ago.

Ok. Do you know if Kinguin is a good site to get Windows keys from?

I have headphones, can I hear a POST from that?

nice, i'm so ever hyped for sbc pc progress

No, it's a little speaker that goes directly into the board

Like he said. Something like this. Typically one quick beep indicates a normal boot but depends on the mobo.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201032

Neverminding the case, my friend will use whatever he can find that's compatible with all the shit here:

pcpartpicker.com/list/CBC4Ps

Is this good enough to run modern shit?, any modifications you'd make?

The Asus Z170 Pro is discounted to the same price as the pro gaming. Is there a good reason to get it instead of the pro gaming?

I would try for 16gb of ram, and possibly a 1060 if possible.

it should run it all at 1080p at high settings, or 1440p on medium.

Noted, and everything else would be good?

show the side.
take the gpu off
use only 1 ram stick at a time , try them both.
feel like something is not well plugged.

More sata, usb 3.0, and I think it has better audio.
I'd say so.

All right guys
Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

It's a cheap motherboard but it has a shit ton of good reviews.

Is there anything I should know about this? It's going with my i3-6100 and rx470.

I'm trying to build a decent budget build.

>More sata, usb 3.0, and I think it has better audio.
Same audio controller, just different software. Both have 4 sata + 1 sata express, and the Pro has less sata 3 ports than the pro gaming.

Buying a new HDD to store all my steam games on.
Any recommendations? Currently looking at a 3TB Toshiba, 7200rpm.

the 11T helium sealed one.

It's a little outside my budget.

Red LEDs or Blue LEDs? first time builder and i have no clue what it's going to look like

What color is everything else? I prefer blue.

Rate my build, got it for $540. Runs most games in 1080p, max settings, at 60fps.
Chassis: Thermaltake Versa H22
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1
RAM: 2x4GB G. Skill 1866 MHz DDR3
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: AMD Sapphire Radeon R9 380X
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
SDD: 120GB Samsung 750 Evo

oh... yea go for a 3T

KMSpico + legitimate install

amd/10

Eh, providing only 2 fan headers isn't the greatest for builds with an AMD GPU. Having a third fan would be better. I'd look around a bit more.

Christ looking for a motherboard was at least 3x more time consuming than looking for both a GPU and a CPU.

This could mean anything from 1/10 to 11/10. Although I'm going to assume you mean the lower end of that spectrum -.-

Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC Video Card or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card?

Using a Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor.

Thanks.

Black with some orange, blue was sold out and their only alternative is $70, while Red is $30 and in stock

i.imgur.com/zT3XB7H.jpg

Your choice seems pretty obvious then.

I run prime 95 once a day for about 6 hours on an i5-2500k overclocked above 4ghz, it never goes above 70C. When will I be fucked?

>that image

Is it this the % by which the GTX performs compared to the RX or the other way?

The side with deus ex and doom with vulkan is AMDs advantage, this might be an old image though, new drivers have made 480s bettar

Anybody know what this cable is?

Why do you do that?

It's a differential. If it's to the left, that's the % the 480 did better, to the right is the 1060.

>tl;dr
Buy the 1060

Shit I forgot about those. That is an old image, pre-updates.

One side fits into the fan slot, the other is the only shit connector molex
Google it

Free space heater, in the form of a cpu.

FDD power connector or really old gpu power connector.

Anyone do the work to update? I've heard the 480 is more tactile and will age better.