What linux distro should I use?

I've got a shitty netbook with like 2MB. I need to install a light os on it and use it for something other than a dust pan. I'm a windows fag, which one should I use?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?68895-NB500-107-no-option-in-booting-to-USB-Drive
forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-i3-16-06-16-06-1/3329
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>with like 2MB
Of what?

OP here, 2GB of ram not 2MB haha

>2MB
Of cache?

2GB of RAM.

which ram?

please dont

go with arch linux, if you want to keep it easy, go with ubuntu, but arch isn't too hard to install. :D

I installed Fedora with lxde. Runs smooth and isn't hipster garbage with no support

Puppy linux

I've heard good things about Solus, should I also give that a look?

This OP

Won't Solus run like shit on that hardware though?

>2GB of ram not
Anything, literally. Even distros with the resource hog that is KDE can work with that. Go to distrowach and choose a distro yourself.

I'm a complete newfag when it comes to linux, my bad

Go for Lubuntu. It looks too vanilla but is rock solid and you will raise your powerlevel after digging for some time.

I think I'll go for it, it seems like something that a shit tier laptop from walmart can handle

Yes it will, I have a 2 GB laptop myself and works pretty good.

Protip, you can use chromium instead of firefox to save resources, but I use firefox with addons,
Protip nº2, uninstall programs that you know you won't use.

I booted it up and found out its only got 1GB of ram. 1.66GHz processor aswell. My god this thing is shitty.

Don't worry, is the same, if you find you need to save resources just do , linux is well suited for these machines.

puppy linux or lubuntu for netbooks if you want to breathe new life into it

Hopefully it'll run better, its on its 15th minute of shutting down.

>nº

Get on my level, kiddo; it's "№".

Apart from the advices already given, you can research on "debloating" your distro. Like uninstalling the entire Libreoffice and replacing it with abiword+gnumeric, although that depends your personal preferences.

k

Ubuntu 16.4 LTS is comfy.

It's 98% on creating the boot disk, god I fucking hope I don't mess this up

No, especially not as an introduction to linux and/or using it on old hardware.
Go for something light like lubuntu or puppy linux.

I highly recommend solus op

How could you, is just an installation, the most that could go wrong is downloading a corrupt iso and having to download it again.

The rule here in linu is "if you can boot your machine you can fix anything".

Its at least got two cores, right?

Puppy

Boot disk is created, and I'm sure there's a way I can fuck it up

kevin pls

It only has 2 cores, yeah

Okay so I managed to confuse myself. In the boot menu it has floppy, LAN, and the HDD. No USB is on the list, please to help

>In the boot menu it has floppy, LAN, and the HDD. No USB is on the list

Maybe try the floppy, but is not possible you don' have USB installation. Look again.

This is what the drive looks like

Wait, did you formatted the USB to have a FAT32 filesystem? You have to do that before "burning" the iso into USB.

I formatted it to FAT32 then used the universal USB installer to burn it onto the USB

Change the boot order to floppy and other drives. If the problem persist try unetbootin.

HDD is at the bottom of the list, top is floppy and the LAN. I'll give unetbootin a go

Manjaro

It still doesn't detect the USB after I used Unetbootin. I told you I'd be able to fuck it up

Is your model of computer so old it doesn't have USB boot? check on the internet.

The only other ways of installing are from a floppy or PXE which are a little more complicated.

HOLY SHIT OP FUCK OFF AND STAY IN WINDOWS OR ACTUALLY FUCKING READ SOME DOCUMENTATION YOU FUCKING SPOONFED RETARD

Instead of giving us specs as they come just tell us the network model so we can see if it supports usb boot.

calm dowm, this one I actually think is legitimately not his fault if the computer has no BIOS option to boot from the USB.

It's a Toshiba NB500, I think I got it back in 2010 for ~$250

I would say Xubuntu or Manjaro. Xubuntu is based off of Ubuntu, so it just werks. Manjaro also just werks, but it has a few small but nice differences from Xubuntu. Xubuntu comes with XFCE, and you can get Manjaro with XFCE, with is great because Xubuntu is a nice lightweight DE.

According to forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?68895-NB500-107-no-option-in-booting-to-USB-Drive

Try disabling fast boot in the bios.

God bless. Immediately got into unetbootin menu, you're a god.

Have fun with Linux! It does say online that your processor and netbook can handle 2gb ram, but linux will still handle 1gb ram well. Just uninstall the bloat (either by synaptic package manager or by using the terminal, Google is your friend.)

Thank you so much my dude, I can't wait to get into this

2gb ram use whatever you want.

I had the same trouble as you yesterday and found that the best solution for me was to download Manjaro i3 forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-i3-16-06-16-06-1/3329

very fast and low memory usage

Just use a distro you like, but a minimal version of it.

Ubuntu is fine, use the netinst/minimal iso and only install the core OS. Then install the wm of your choice. My suggestions are OpenBox if you prefer floating wms (normal), or i3 if you like tiling (autist mode).

Ubuntu over Debian because when stripped they are basically the same but Ubuntu has ppas and fresher packages. Let Debian handle your servers and leave Ubuntu for the desktops/netbooks.

This is lame advice, OP. Don't use specialized autist distros, just install the core of a mainstream distro and build on that.

Also, rolling release on a shitty netbook is a bad idea unless you plan to tinker with it every day.

Nice to see a happy ending.

lubuntu runds great on my 1gb ram eeepc. try it out.