Desktop OS discussion

why does the Macintosh operating system tend to produce the most aesthetic, sought after desktop environment that other OSes imitate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2-Gef99kK3A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>bar on top
Where do your tabs go?

hi

I don't know.

into the trash where they belong

It doesn't. I don't need all that bells and whistles shit, and the actual functionality is inferior to both Windows and Linux.

Tell me one thing OS X does from a functionality point of view that you believe is superior.

A N I M E

>all of the desktops with a hidden dock
get cDock and rice that shit too you fucking fruits.

woah t's been a while since i last saw someone use the muh functionality meme seriously

youtube.com/watch?v=2-Gef99kK3A

wallpaper pls

that clock

don't make me say it

Tell what's the superior OS first.

pls don't post my gf

You are the one with no argument at all.

OSX is inferior to both Windows and Linux in video playback so no A N I M E is not a valid reason.

>OSX is inferior to both Windows and Linux in video playback
No, it's not.
You just got refuted.

windows :/ cmon man

Wrong answer. Try again and I will share it with you. It's 10MB, senpai.

Pedo

>install win 10
>unstoppable screen tearing
>uninstall win 10

sounds like a severe case of PEBKAC to me

ok

where?

these are some of the things macOS does natively over windows 7 (haven't used windows since 7, maybe they added some more functionality in 10)

-ability to convert images between png, jpg,openEXR,tiff
-ability to reduce image size
-PDF reader
-sophisticated image editing
-global dictionary/wiki lookup via rightclick
-ability to create your own specialized apps via automator
-free word processor/presentation software that is decent
-free video and audio editors (imovie/garageband)
-unix security
-terminal and packages

theres more but thats some to get the ball rolling

No MadVR in OS X so your best choice will be second rate MPV. And I bet ya it's shittier than the Linux version since it's an afterthought.

shes not a pedo

Delete this, wincucks at least are going to have a new paint.exe now.

no bullying

Aren't you supposed to stay banned?
Here, let me remind the janny

what did you mean by that

Who gives a fuck about natively? Do you only use the programs that come with your computer? Come on, you're practically begging me to just call you a mactoddler and call it a day.

And half of that shit Windows can do out of the box anyway, the other half is accomplished in 5 minutes of installs you do once first thing after first boot and never think about again. It's part of the real Windows install. The part where you set your computer up the way you like it.

>-ability to reduce image size
You think this is a notable feature? good grief man

I'm going to do it, don't you push me.

I mean you make off topic posts and threads. Can't wait for your maki thread to get pruned and you getting banned again

thats not my thread and they dont ban pass users baka

mpv is the better choice even on windows

I-I just need to install other programs, guys.

>Who gives a fuck about natively?
so we agree then OSX has more functionality over Windows out of the box.

>half of that shit Windows can do out of the box anyway
specify which ones

meant for

Is that a hackintosh?

> If so, how'd you do it?
> links??

>so we agree then OSX has more functionality over Windows out of the box.
Maybe? Who cares? It's an idiotic thing to measure.

>specify which ones
literally all of them

Mactoddlers, everyone.

Not an argument, wincuck'd.

>Who cares? It's an idiotic thing to measure.
>the actual functionality is inferior to both Windows and Linux.
looks like I broke this wincuck.

come back when you grow up a little kiddie

who are you quoting

how did you remove the borders on all the windows?

>It's an idiotic thing to measure.

is an argument. It has no bearing on the usage of a computer for anyone other than a child who does not know how to install a program. The software shipped with the OS is nowhere near as important as the catalog of software available to it and the functionality of the operating system itself.

I mean, fuck...

>-PDF reader

This was put forth as being somehow a point towards OS X that it comes with a PDF reader. This is a trump card? This is the level of person I'm trying to speak with here?

If you can't understand why this is an irrelevant point then it's difficult to form any kind of argument beyond

>learn how to use a computer
because that's what you need to do before we can go much farther.

>implying functionality of an OS = shipped software

I agree. It would be similar to comparing consoles by what games come in the box.
Spoiler: SNES would be very close to the top.

MacBook

Is that I3? How'd you get it looking like that?

Nice. Cheers m8.

You can customize the installation for any major operating system whether it is OS X, Windows, or GNU/Linux to install whatever software you like as part of the installation process.

Software packages != Operating System or Desktop Environment.

Take a look at the minimal net install for Ubuntu or Fedora sometime. There are a myriad of options that will create whatever software stack you need.

Microsoft has something called the Windows Automated Installation Kit which can serve a similar purpose.

OS X seems to have less support for this sort of thing, but where there is a will there is a way. At the very least it looks like you can create application bundle disks that can be run after a fresh install that will install several things at once.

It isn't awful looking or anything, but I never understood the aesthetics-boners people get over Aqua.

>not a 2016 MacBook Pro

Early aqua had a really cool and consistent style to it, and it looked newer and sleeker than windows at release.
Now it's material, just like everything else.
Who even cares now.

>implying I give a shit

as a Mac enthusiast, the 2016 MacBooks are pieces of shit. I never buy 'first gen' Apple products. enjoy your year old CPU architecture, ill wait on ryzen MacBooks or cannonlake.

out of the box is neat but it lacks adaptability as different programs for these purposes are made over time.
further more, no one program is going to satisfy everyone's needs.
It's like moving into a house and the furniture and paint that came with it is all bolted down and permanent. maybe it's good quality but your needs will change as the world around you or your interests demands. at least with the other options I'm buying new furniture from competing sources instead of a new prefab mac-house every time.

>2016 MBP
Meh

My own preference is for nothing but the bare essentials of the core utilities and DE. I don't even want a web browser or text editor.