How long do you guys leave your computers on? Do you shut them off after every use?

How long do you guys leave your computers on? Do you shut them off after every use?

Currently on for 3 months and 14 days.

I turn it off every night

you'll have to buy new SSD sooner, cuck!

Nah, but I always log off.

I should turn it off. I did for a while, but I got lazy and generally don't bother.

Not who you're replying to, but I'm really not sure on the consensus on this. I've heard shutting it down, or letting is sleep is worse than leaving it on, and vice versa. I've just been leaving it on.

Only time its off is when macOS throws a bitch fit and kernel panics. So once a week. I think i just need to replace my RAM though but I'm a lazy fuck.

Server is only shutdown when needed for a necessary update - so less than once per year.

Desktop whenever it crashes. Usually lasts about a week.

>Desktop crashes weekly
What are you running?

keep believing that brah....

archlinux

I turn my desktop off every few weeks. I turn my phone off maybe every few months. Unless using your desktop isn't a common thing, I don't see why people turn it off so often.

SSDs have a limited number of read writes.
more times you shut down and retart the more you kill it.

About 3 different conflicting versions of Java, a probable virus that disables the firewall service every startup, a .bat file that runs every startup to restart the service, a dozen modifications to the OS to make it look and work the way I like (more like XP), and a dozen background programs that occasionally conflict with each other or other programs all running on a 3-year old Windows 7 install that's seen two major hardware changes without a reinstall.
>mfw I know I'll need to reinstall sometime in the next month or two

Most of us have to pay a power bill; he'll be able to buy more than 10 new ssds with the money he saves from having it off for 6-8 hours every day.

Run TDSS Killer, Adwcleaner, and Combofix.
Also scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware.
Roguekiller is also good but I hate their new interface compared to their old one.

>read writes
Just writes. Enjoy your OS writing to the SSD and wearing it down.

well, three years running with shutting down every night ;)

we will see...

what is that software that allows you to see how many boots and data you have written onto your drive???

seen it a few times on here before...

Even killing the virus wouldn't fix the other problems I have with programs not working properly. This OS is just too far gone, completely FUBAR. A reinstall is the only solution, I just don't want to do it, and spend the following 4 days getting everything back.

That's why you should do it then make an image-based backup of the clean install!

That will save time on the inevitable reinstalls of the future.

If your shit's completely in the wind I'd download or transfer my stuff using a live Linux boot CD/DVD/USB.

There's an easy way to know when you are comfy with computers. It's when you look for excuses to do clean installs so your system runs better. Or to install Linux and not have to do nearly as many installs at all.

I leave my main rigs on 24/7 for years. Electricity is so cheap I don't notice any difference.

The longest lived PCs I've seen were USAF i386 WFW machines used for supply until around 2001. They were never shut off and connected to a very expensive four Compact Disc driver SCSI enclosure.

The entire drive will be my backup; I have extra hard drives sitting around so the new install will go on one of them.
>look for excuses to do clean installs
>wanting to do a clean install
Only the truly insane would WANT to do a reinstall.

Just reinstalled my 4.5 years old Win7. And because of a HDD fail, so technically it was not the OS. It was horrible user, I forgot which wifi card I have and installed 3 different drivers because I was too lazy to check. ;_;
Also, don't fucking rice, just makes it harder to reinstall when you finally have to.

>drivers
Oh fuck, that's right. I have several drivers that are literally impossible to find anymore. The company doesn't exist, the drivers on the disc are outdated and bugged. It took days of searching to find the drivers I have now. I keep them in a folder appropriately named "Driver Backups DO NOT DELETE. EVER!"

FUCK. DRIVERS.
I REALLY don't want to do this reinstall.

it's not that much.

Leave it on for days when seeding / torrenting but usually turn it off on a regular basis.

I turn it off every time I leave it unless I have torrents open/videos rendering.