/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/64222/how-can-i-create-launchers-on-my-desktop
exherbo.org/
specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#recognized-keys
git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu
store.diamondwaterllc.com/
store.infowars.com/Alexapure-Pro-Water-Filtration-System_p_1713.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BSD is superior.

I'm actually going to rewrite the file picker.
askubuntu.com/questions/64222/how-can-i-create-launchers-on-my-desktop

picture related

...for everything except desktop usage.

For nothing*

bsd did nothing wrong, there may be no protections against making shit proprietary, but not-preventing != bad for peoples freedoms

that said

nice driver support

I don't care about BSD fags. What annoys me the most is BSD NEETs' baseless pseudo sense of ""((superiority))"" and attention whoring.

How do I delete this icon? Program is already deleted.

Nvm, found it. Some files got stucked in .local folder.

Ah yes, the so-called GNU/Linux ""employees"". Haha!

You are welcome to moan all you want in a dedicated thread

Any opinions on which would be more suitable for desktop use;

Fedora KDE
Debian Testing/Sid KDE

My brother built me a PC for Christmas and I've heard that both Fedora and Debian have fantastic KDE implementation

Neither Fedora nor Debian implement KDE at all, they just package it.

OpenSUSE for KDE
Fedora for GNOME

I would use openSUSE but I've had bad experiences with multimedia codecs and dependencies recently

Same here, user. To be honest if you want full fledged desktop experience you should either go with *buntu or Manjaro. Don't listen to meme spewing faggots.

Multimedia codecs require non free packages. This is why freetard distros like fedora or debian won't help you as such.

My mistake, I am new to GNU/Linux, but thank you for the reply

I'm not fond of using third party repositories, I've been advised Arch numerous times so I will take your advice and give Manjaro a try, thanks

Misconception.

Everything is third party, distros keep different version of the packages in the repo because their base system isn't updated accordingly.

Transmission is a third party app, it's not debian. You really don't think all those thousands of packages get tested, do you?

That being said if your distro likes to keep everything frozen and you like it - that's fine. If you want to smuggle the latest packages in it becomes "third pirty(!)".

Using a frozen repo like Ubuntu LTS or Debian stable is pretty okay as well if you don't want to adopt all the time.

However Manjaro/Arch is like windows' insider program. Latest features with latest bugs. Many people like that including me.

Ahh I understand, I apologise for my ignorance. So I would be correct in that the RPM Fusion devs/contributors are also Fedora devs/contributors?

Is it even possible to compile the Linux kernel without using GCC with glibc?

I don't think so. Why are you so concerned about this?

I'm curious about how lighter and faster Linux would be if it were possible. I've heard of people who considered using musl but nobody who actually did it.

i installed i3 on my ubuntu 16.04 install. i've been using unity all day, and whenever there's a notification in the top right corner it will be in i3 colors and fonts instead of that usual rounded edge unity popup that goes transparent when you hover over it. any way to stop this behavior?

is kde base just the bare minimum to get kde working? I'm using the kde that comes with ubuntu and it has 3 calculators, so no doubt it's full of other shit too.

For a trimmed down system like ubuntu would it be best to go with a minimal debian testing install, change to proprietary software (gomenasai tubby computer man), and install kde base, then go from there?

to strip them natty gpl header files

You probably installed KDE on top of other DEs

That being said if you are looking for a trimmed down KDE just use KDE Neon

Take your cuck fetish to the BSD thread

Oh whats that? you want gpl headers gone?
No worries. git clone Linux, remove all the .h files and compile it.

No natty gpl header files, guaranteed

Hey senpaitachi, I'm trying to set up MyCroft on my odroid c2, but I'm having a hard time compiling it.
Pic related, I've replaced every config.guess mlocate could find with one with a recent timestamp, program still uses old one somehow. However, I'm not sure that's the problem, uname -p outputs unknown, as the screenshot shows.

Any ideas?

it's kubuntu. I did look at neon but I figure that's a showcase distro for KDE, so I assumed it would be packed full of shit I don't want.

To the contrary, Kubuntu is what you thought of KDE Neon.

yeah, go back to i3

Yes

How do I create a desktop shortcut on Fedora 25?
I cant find my app in /usr/share/applications because the program is a .exe file on a virtual drive.'

Pls dont link me an Ubuntu guide

I want to use Arch but AMDGPU-PRO is not supported by AMD.

Will I still be able to play muh linux gaymes on Steam on Arch with just the open source drivers?

Should I turn my laptop into a thin client for my desktop or should I just SSH in when needed. I like the idea of keeping my operating systems synced in some way.

I went balls deep with linux about a year ago and now I'm wishing I dual booted with win 10. If I wanted to dual boot now, would I have to uninstall linux first (Debian), install windows then Debian?

It's perfectly possible to install windows after debian, but you will have to mess with the boot manager to get it working properly, that's why they recommend doing windows before linux.

no, install windows then reinstall grub

What is the best way to replace autohotkey functionality in linux?

I believe the open-source AMD drivers are actually pretty good nowadays, with some people reporting better performance in some games than with the AMDGPU-PRO.

Reminder to try out some of these distros:
> Void
> Gentoo
> Funtoo
> Exherbo
> Slackware
> CRUX
> NixOS
> GuixSD
> Devuan
> stali
or
> LFS

>Exherbo
is it panda theme'd?

I don't think so...
But you should check it out either way!
exherbo.org/

I can't decide if the guy in the op pic is a cunt or not. What are anons opinions?

Great guy, over a million subs.

How do I make MATE look A E S T H E T I C and not like shit

how do I delet a structure and its values in a text
I want to get rid of this kind of appendage in an url
'?fref=ts&__nodl'
'?fref=hovercard'
and so on

what do I put after the = sign so I delet it all

(the other thread was on the top so I dun' goof'd.)

Repeatedly say 'm8' until someone corrects you.

maybe not aesthetic but C O M F Y
I set my theme with shades of dark grey (darker on the outside/menus) and with pinkish red, flat highlights

looked nice, didn't offend my eyes and I'm yet to get tired of it.

Is there any beginner's guide to installing and configuring Arch?

yes, the arch wiki.

or you can look at some installation video on youtube and follow along

But how do I make my Arch setup look like those in Desktop Threads?

Change the configure files of your desktop environment (wm, gtk/qt theme, icons etc)

there are threads and youtube videos for this

perhaps listening to mouth breathers share their wizardry put you off early enough

ye, it's called installing ubuntu

He is the best

If not his cunt-ness he'd probably slave for applel right now

If you want the best driver support, Fedora with RPM fusion is best right now

to be perfectly honest if a distro doesn't have a cool name I won't try it. Not memeing the distros name is like 60% of the reason i use it.

>ubuntu
>fedora
>debian
>open suse
>mint
>manjaro

yuck

>cool name
do you even use a computer then?

That might've looked like an invitation for discussion but it wasn't. You are to withdraw your comment immediately.

oh god! you're a phone poster! bleh!

STUPID
DUMB
MOBILEPOSTING
SCUM

I want to do GPU passthrough with my 750ti, however I'm using a 4K monitor so I need the GPU to be able to power it as intergrated graphics can only do 2K. So is it possible to have the GPU run the linux machine while I'm using it and then switch souly to the VM and let the iGPU take over the actual PC?

So you want to do GPU passthrough to the Virtual Machine but have the GPU supply image from the host OS?

No buddy, that doesn't work.

Create your own .desktop file.
specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#recognized-keys

What's the ThinkPad of linux?

gentoo

That's the battlestation
What is a capable, good looking, yet professional distro

gentoo

How long does x take to compile? On a laptop processor

>Is it possible to have the GPU run the linux machine while I'm using it and then switch souly to the VM and let the iGPU take over the actual PC?
It is possible, but requires you to restart X server. Take a look here: git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu This guy has scripts that kill X, switch the GPUs (in his case it's a Radeon and a NVIDIA card) whenever he wants. But again, this requires you to kill and restart X.

I'd recommend buying a cheapo budget card that can drive 4K or find a used one for cheap or something if you need 4K resolution. The internal GPU is clearly not powerful enough for that.

>he thinks I am not memeing -_-
in my case, 4 hours
you can also keep the compiled binary for later usage in /usr/portage/packages

>tfw it takes long for me to download things than it does to compile them

>not memeing IRL
I just want a distro that I have absolute control over
Otherwise I would just use FreeBSD. But I like having up to date software

What cpu?

>> LFS
That's a book.

you can use -f options to make the package manager just download the package without compiling/installing
and when all of it has been downloaded, you can then compile/install it

~ # time emerge xorg-server -1 --quiet-build=y

* IMPORTANT: 20 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news read to view new items.

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Running pre-merge checks for x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4::gentoo
>>> Installing (1 of 1) x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 1 of 1 complete Load avg: 3.20, 2.03, 0.93
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

* IMPORTANT: 20 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news read to view new items.

real 3m56.407s
user 7m22.722s
sys 0m36.375s

i7 620M

gentoo is also BSD-based

pentium 3 on virtualbox

>gentoo is also BSD based
Nk, I would be using FreeBSD if it wasn't the lack of software for BSD systems compared to Linux
>pentium 3
Yikes!
NixOS has a really nice website

you should upgrade to pentium 3 too, it's so fuckin' cool, man

>upgrade
I got my grandma's old company with a pentium D, and a thinkpad with a Core i5 processor

Why is windows the best distro?

because you pay for it.
>expensive stuff is always better than free stuff

:^(

That's why I only buy Diamond Waterâ„¢
store.diamondwaterllc.com/

Already bought one of these.
store.infowars.com/Alexapure-Pro-Water-Filtration-System_p_1713.html

Finally broke Debian after using nothing else for 6 yeara. Is it still the best all purpose distro? How's fedora?

Not a debian user but it sounds kinda cool

Fedora is pretty good. Debian's pretty good too. I think Arch's pretty good. You can also try Ubuntu (it's pretty good) or if you're feeling adventurous I've heard pretty good things about openSUSE.

>35 usd for 12 liters of tap water
i always get jelly of people who successfully managed to con dumbasses with massive profit margins

Use Arch

good

>>/r/eddit

Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.

see