E-reader thread

So I'm thinking about buying an email e-reader for reading novels, comics, and work PDFs. Already have a tablet but it's an old Samsung piece of shit. Are the ePaper readers worth it Sup Forums especially as it's almost 2016? Is something like the bottom tier Kindle worth the $100?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=smI84aSBLTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck mobile posting. I meant is it worth buying an e-reader, as it's almost 2017.

depends, how much pirated material do you have to put onto it? and is that higher than the cost of the device?

>comics, and work PDFs
Not for that. They're best for plain text. That's it

manga is fucking GOAT on an aura one though.

I once tried reading an ebook in one of these ereaders and it was awful. Books 4 lyf for me because I really can't stand eReaders.

E-readers are best for plain text, but they'll work with pdfs if the pdf page size is similar to the size of your device.
Forget comics or anything with colour.
Manga works pretty good on the larger devices- but two page spreads will be hacky.

Get a kobo if you even want to think about anything other than .mobi
Mainly because the kindle doesn't support anything but .mobi and has no expandable storage.
Plus amazon botnet.

i just got a kindle and i am reading a pdf on it right now..

Ereaders are amazing for reading novels and manga. Once you go ereader you'll never go back. Though reading PDFs - Not so much.

PDFs are sort of hard because of the ereader's nature. Zooming and panning is not that easy. It is possible and many do it. However a tablet might be easier to read PDFs on.

I highly recommend Kobo ereaders. They are good quality, have amazing compatibility, are sturdy and support all kinds of formats unlike the Kindle which have their own proprietary format requiring you to convert all epub files you have into their mobi format. Quite trivial with Calibre, but should be uncessary regardless. Kobo also has the possibility to use custom fonts and use other readers than their stock one like CoolReader by installing it. The kindle can do this too, but requires jailbreak which isn't always possible on all Kindles. Some Swindles also come with ads if you buy the cheap version. Which means you'll need to see ads with the device you paid money for. Kobo does not have this.

So pick what you want. Kindle has a nice ecosystem for buying books off Amazon. Kobo has a nice store and all the stuff I mentioned above. The Kobo Aura One is freaking sweet due to the extra inch in size compared to Swindles which helps immensely with manga. Though you probably won't get a Aura One for $100.

>work PDFs

you need a tablet

>..
Are you a grill?

You're reading a pdf converted into a mobi

I bought a Chinese Windows 10 tablet gor 90 bucks with shipping to be used as an e-book reader. For that it's pretty okay, and if I really need to, I can browse the web or run any Windows program on it.

i like the look of this one. its out shipping yet and they want a lot of money for it.
youtube.com/watch?v=smI84aSBLTQ

>he reads prologues

Bought a Kobo Aura H2O. 6.8" and water proof for tub reading. Really nice.

she looks like she's in pain

ereader is horrible for comics and PDF

how old is she?

she looks like she would make good spaghetti sauces

Lots. I imagine it's just as simple as sideloading some files, right?

Also to clarify I'm reading manga and black/white/grayscale comics in general; also my work PDFs are just text.

If this is the case I might just stick with my tablet for now. I don't want to have a locked device.

Where can I get a dirt cheap ereader with a backlight?

I almost pulled the trigger on a 20 dollar one on ebay but there's no fucking backlight. How am I supposed to read outside at night?

If there are none though, where can I get the cheapest non backlit one?

Auro One or H2O for pirated books?

or cheap tablet?

Amazon Kindle Voyage is the best e-reader on the market

you can also get the paperwhite now that they share the same ppi

Which tablet? Does it work for VNs?

I have enough money for Kindle Paperwhite 3, is there anything better (Kobo maybe?) in this price range?

Im going to read mostly regular books, sometimes .pdf with uni shit, maybe manga (never read them before but i considered starting).

no that's the best for sure

I got a kindle and I love it. I really recommend the paper white. If you actually read books it's a great investment. Kindle plus internet equals you have all books.

used kindle dx
calibre
epub torrents

that orginal paperweight kindle is beast.
I had over 3 weeks battery on it.
I could even browse Sup Forums and read shitty fanfictions without anyone thinking I'm autistic. It was great.
Images take forever to load though. It's just a nice ebook and text only word browser.

I have a Kobo Aura H20. The thing is amazing, especially with Koreader.

Does KOreader kill battery? I'm trying to put it on an old model kindle.

Kobo Aura One. You can thank me later, OP.

it hasn't hurt my battery life as far as I can tell. Honestly though I don't even think about battery life on the thing. It will easily go about a month of daily reading for an hour or more per day without a hassle.

>novels, comics, and work PDFs
for this type of content get ipad mini or maybe galaxy s 8 inch (it has oled screen) or even full sized tablet

Ereaders with eink display are only good for text eg regular books