To non-gaymers

Do you use a desktop as your main home machine over a laptop and if so, why?

gamers need not apply for obvious reasons

What's the point of using a desktop if you don't play games? Why not use a thinkpad already.

I use it as a main PC over my laptop because I can play games on it.

No

Laptop I can carry around, desktop I'm limited to one position

If you want desktop power just control it via ssh or rdp or something

my main machine is a laptop, at work and at home. i have a mac mini as a media system/server.
if i move to a bigger aparatment or house i'll get a bigger desktop.

Desktop because I need processing power and > 4 threads

Yup.
My desktop has a bigger screen than my laptop (lenovo u330) and it doesn't lag when using most softwares. But then it might just be that my laptop is getting old

desktop because more space

my desktop is a joke, i use it as a big computer for midi keyboard or for playing movies on the TV monitor sometimes.

been using a laptop as my main since the early 2000's. Comfort first, and they aren't expensive if you buy refurbished

More processing power, memory, storage... Multiple monitors. Better audio setup. Printer capabilities.

Basically a better working environment than a laptop.

The only time I'm on my laptop is to lean back and watch some movies.

...you do know that you can connect your laptop to your monitor, right?

Yes my Main Home PC is my desktop.

>Why??

Desktop is much more powerful than my ThinkPad P50. Games Movies Video editing Tor Stuff plus I've always liked desktops more than laptops. I feel more productive on a desktop than a laptop. Pretty stupid reasons but, it feels good to come home and fire up that new Titan X

What's the point of using a laptop if you're going to hook up all the PC shit to it

A laptop for when you need a machine on the go, then dock it up to a monitor and peripherals when you're back home?

I do a lot of machine learning projects which use a big graphics card that I can't fit in a laptop, and I like watching annie mayz on a big monitor

-bigger display with better image quality
-comfier working position
-more hard drive space
-better audio setup
-more processing power

Why not laptop when you're on the go, desktop while you're at home?

>inb4 muh projects/files/movies/music
use cloud and/or home media servers

Used to use my desktop, but since I've gone to University I use my ThinkPad pretty much all the time because my desk at Uni is a bit shite and the portability of a laptop obviously lets me use it anywhere.

Pretty much use ThinkPad + dock to recreate a semi-decent desktop now

Do you sit at a desk 24/7?

Cheaper and more powerful. I don't need mobility.

Laptops are laziness enablers

I like it because my G5 iMac is the most beautiful machine on the planet

triple screen setup for leet hacking and shit. laptops are for on the road.