How do I train my ear?

how do I train my ear?
I want to learn to transcribe music, but have no clue on how to train my ear.

is learning to sing in tune the optimal way to do this?

are there any android software to help me train my ear?

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.solfege.solfege&hl=es
meludia.com/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=vC9Qh709gas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

back to Sup Forums with you

mu doesn't know nothing about music theory.
just like asking v about game programming.

Spend 10k hours learning to play an instrument: piano has the best applicability to difficulty ratio.

Of course it's no easier than another instrument to become good enough to perform without ear raping others, even if you can't tell yourself, but it's easier to get past sounding like shit than say violin.

Being able to transcribe music should come very naturally.

have no musical instrument nearby, hoping to get one keyboard soon when I got money.

does learning to sing help with ear training?

>how do I train my ear?
have it do 40 minutes of cardio every day and lift some weights 3 days a week

>degree in conducting
>getting another one in church music
Haha,_i_saved_them_all_and_posted_none.jpg

kek

well done fit.

this is retardation.

do your fucking solfeggio.

but comments like this

indicate to me that you're either not smart enough to not good enough of a person to learn to do it.

What do you mean in particular? Learning to sing might help you recognize intervals, etc. Unlikely it would lead to develop in perfect pitch. If it's for transcribing, it seems to me like learning to play some instrument and learning how to read sheet music, where you go from sheet music to muscle memory to sounds, would help you go in the opposite direction from sounds to sheet music. IIRC singers use sheet music to a much lesser extent because melodies are much simpler--you can't sing chords, trills, etc.

bro, I'm a newfaggot in music and have no clue what I'm doing.

I'm looking to learn intervals and identify notes.
I got told all clasical musicians learn first by singing next to a piano.

I think if you have access to a keyboard, that should definitely be doable just by drilling, though it definitely won't be fun getting started. I don't know specific techniques for singers, sorry. But I think you could just try it and see at first.

Intervals at least have distinctive feelings, I think, that should be alright to pick up. An old violin teacher started by having students associate parts of melodies they knew with intervals and then going from there, so that might work for you.

Less relevant to your case, maybe, a more classical piano teacher didn't start with intervals at all (this is where it's different from singing, probably) but then later did drills and short pieces that were basically drills with a tiny melody on top.

Perfect pitch is not something that you can reasonably expect to develop, but it's not that useful anyways. Identifying notes relative to each other should come from learning intervals, but when I was learning there was less of a focus on that. When you transcribe music you normally kind of error-correct by checking intervals less than by checking notes. Hope this helps.

thanks, is solfege good enought to train my ear?

Not sure if you mean just doing scales or a particular drill. But like I said, just single notes by themselves might be tough, so I'd start with intervals, however you want to do them. I think there's a lot of room for flexibility.

Not OP, but I've been wanting to train my ear to hear different pitches. Would going to sleep at night with say for example an A playing through my headphones help me develop a sense of relative pitch?

Hi, im studying Music for teaching at schools. So I know something about it. Maybe you Start with an app like 'Complete ear trainer.' Also' functional ear trainer. ' so you'll get an idea what you have to do. Its also sucssessiv. You can also practise thinks like that later on a piano or with a friend who can play it. I used this Software as an Addition to my Studies. And till you get to the last Level it will take you years i guess. Anyway, you're neuer at the finishline. The way is your goal. P.S. Everyday just 10 or 15 minutes is enough. Sing the intervals you learn 4 yourself. Thats important. Bye

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.solfege.solfege&hl=es

I found this app on android.
So far seems great and perfect for it.

No, it wont. To get an relative pitch, you have to train your ear active, by sing different intervals. Guess intervals and so on. Hearing exact pitches of Single notes is called absolute ear( its called like rhat in germany). You cant really learn it. You develope it, if you hear a perfect piano Day by Day as a Child 4 example.

learn and instrument and study western music theory

as another user has said, piano is a good place to start, but ignore the 10k hours shit

are solfegio apps good enough?

You can Start with it. But it Covers just a part. But an Important one. Its 4 free so go 4 it. Dont know if it is sucsessive. Thats Important 4 your learning. Maybe youll Check out later the other apps i suggested.

Find an online piano and practice matching a note (say middle C) with your voice and then practice singing every interval 1-1.5 octaves above and below. Repeat for other notes and always check against the piano.

If you play an instrument, you can just play/figure out what you hear and write down the notes later.

Practice transcribing simple melodies and work your way up. Buying a tuning fork can be useful if you don't always carry around your phone.

This is me

Doesn't take years. At my college we were expected to be able to transcribe all parts of typical pop songs within a couple semesters.

I've found that learning solfege is very helpful in having melodies fall into place quicker. Most things you'll be learning by ear are going to be in pretty nice scales or modes so you can think of them logically.

Bro used keyboards from casio costs 15 bucks, I found one in dumpster without power supply and I live in second world country. Just go outside and find one.

yes it does, but don't focus on it, unless you want to sing, then definitely focus on it
can you play an instrument?

firstly, there's lots of apps. as an example, perfect ear. there's a number of websites, and software as well. a significant part of 'hearing' most music is the chord recognition, just a protip. if you get a bit of a feel for music theory, quite often the melodic transitions will become clear. overall, it'll come from lots of experience with your instrument, and a lot of trial (and error). Just practice, and have fun while doing it etc etc etc

I can't transcribe music either but I'm still right

Perfect pitch isn't a thing

To the degree that it is, it's not worth focussing on (and not really all that needed desu)

I spoke about the last Level of the app i suggested first. Anyway, a few Semesters are years. At least one or two ;)

How To Train Your Ear:

Step 1: Take private lessons for at least 10 years on the instrument of your choosing.

Step 2: Don't listen to shitty music.

Step 3: Play your instrument and pay attention to it.

Its that easy!

This faggot right here.

Don't forget your fucking solfege either.

>couldn't tune my guitar by ear a year ago
>can hear very small pitch differences now
just practice

You either have it or you don't

a fair amount of this is genetic.

Some people have perfect pitch others are tone deaf, the rest are in between.

You can learn and train to a certain extent, but you'll always be limited by your natural ability.

External forces may also be working against you, I lost what little musical ability I had when I got glandular fever and got my tonsils removed.

meludia.com/en/

get a midi keyboard slow down the tempo of the music and play the same tone over and over, find the same one on the instrument, then move on to the next tone. Music is much more about notes in relation to one another rather than any one note being in a certain spot at a certain time.

You're probably too old, but anyways. Get private lessons.

There are only 12 semitones if you don't count micro tones so there are that many combinations of things to remember you can do a combination with 3 items of 12 then move on to 4 of 12 and so on. If the music is in a particular scale most of the time that will have even fewer notes to remember playing 3 or more semitones right next to each other is more common to blues. If you're completely new there are times notes can be bent without a clear distinct step to another semitone, that would be hard to transcribe.

Fuck yeah but only after the recollection becomes a well developed habit. And then it may depend on how well you keep to your routines. For the sake of cycle differentiation.

I think it helps to find purposes for each note. So, like, instead of playing the e4 note. Consider singing an e note at a high octave, probably the adam's apple, and hold it there. If after that it seems too much to hold and don't want to drop, consider a pentatonic release by way of a hum or something.

Anyway. Yes, you can learn exact notes singing. It's called Voicing and one of the biggest deals in creative composition.

lunges

>you can't sing chords
Well, maybe (you) can't.

Arpeggios aren't chords, dumb fuck.

>What is overtone singing?

youtube.com/watch?v=vC9Qh709gas

You have to be born with the talent unfortunately. You could learn to, but you will never hear like someone who was just born with it.

Now find what you were gifted and exploit it to the fullest to help others around you

Step 1. Have perfect pitch.

That's it.

Apple MacBook doesn't have this problem

It's too late for you to train your ear. Should have happened at a much younger age.

Remember, 12 inch dick in the ass equals 880 Hz

EarMaster is a great program for that.
But it's a proprietary botnet. There are cracks available.

Don't know any free alternative that is as good.

learn to hum notes
learn to tell notes about
listen song
hum
write down
that's how I learned wanna be a baller for both left and right hand on piano

train yourself with solfege if you don't have perfect pitch

Gonna take at least three years of continuous practice, 6 years of not serious.

Also this

>lost what little musical ability I had when I got glandular fever and got my tonsils removed.
How did this affect you?

I have family with perfect pitch and it really is a thing, it's amazing to me.

When there's music or someone singing she can tell you the pitch names as she hears it, and she's slightly annoyed if it's off-key by even a quarter of a tone.
Unless it's basically just noise she can tell you the pitch of practically any sound.

I wanted to learn it by Wikipedia says it can't really be developed past a certain age, or at least no adult managed to learn it in recorded history.

Go to music school

Yeah the part where no one has ever learned it as far as we know is what I thought.

That is pretty neat though. Its a skill (talent? I guess so) wish I'd have. It's cool that there are people who 'just' have it

>It's cool that there are people who 'just' have it
Well it's not like you're just born with it either. The person I know went through music school (Conservatoire) at a young age and did a lot of solfege.