/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of fucking March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
[RUMOR] Source: Galaxy S8 will completely ditch hardware navigation keys, Samsung is switching to all soft keys with 3D touch-like functionality
twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/814230053349249024

Samsung Galaxy A 2017 series will be announced on January 5
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-A-2017-announcement-date_id89453

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X image leaks, confirms rumored specs
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_4x_image_leaks_confirms_rumored_specs-news-22401.php

Nokia to announce up to 5 new devices in 2017
gsmarena.com/nokia_to_announce_up_to_5_new_devices_in_2017-news-22385.php

[Deal Alert] The Nextbit Robin is $145 on Amazon ($105 off)
amazon.com/Nextbit-Robin-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B01D9LVCAI

LG G5 $349 AT&T, Sprint, Verizon @ BestBuy (no contract)
bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-postpaid-20161227

old

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.sonymobile.com/open-devices/aosp-build-instructions/how-to-build-aosp-nougat-for-unlocked-xperia-devices/#build-experimental-aosp-nougat-7-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Heres to hoping that the mi 6 won't be shit. Or that xiaomi actually presents a compact phone which would be GOAT.

First for poorfags aren't appreciated here. Head back to /r/eddit :)

So when CES happens?

www.google.com

Seems everyone left :^)

lmao

is there a vr viewer that has the necessary adjustments for the note edge? or should i make my own out of a squirrel some string and a vr viewer?

my problem is that the note edge is 82.8 millimeters wide and 151 millimeters tall, and the note 4 that everyone knows is 10 millimeters slimmer

I'm spending $600 on a phone in America to be used exclusively in Europe. I'm leaning towards the LG V20. Good idea?

Hell no, fuckhuge, random bootloops, frail, shit battery duration, LG is a disaster when it comes to smartphones.

Ok, I ditched the LG devices and came up with one more competitor: Sony Xperia X. Are there any known weaknesses or disadvantages with that?
t.

The v20 is indeed xbox hueg but I care most about longevity and removable battery is important. I don't think bootloops are a problem with the v20

Attention poorfags. As one of you, I would like to share some advice from my last year of phone purchases, returns, etc.

There are two phones I would like to suggest you take a look at.

First, almost all verizon prepaid phones are subsidized at the store(g4 play is $75 for example) but they are also GSM unlocked. I purchased a moto e for $12 NIB and a galaxy s4 for $99 NIB.

The s4 has a micro sd slot, FHD oled, user swapable battery, the cpu is roughly = to the one in the new moto g,. You can get them for like $80 on ebay.

Even though I own both of those phones, the moto e is my daily driver. The resolution is lower but the screen is smaller so it actually looks sharper. Easy as hell to use in one hand. micro sd slot. The CPU is a bit slower but it has never hindered me. The only downside is the camera. That said you will not find a better phone for $30(current ebay price).

>Snapdragon 650
>3GB RAM
Expensive RN3P but if you don't wanna mess with roms and shit it's ok.

moto g4 play 160€ here, still worth it?

wYes they are, i had bookmarked a video of a japanese dude whose V20 bootlooped in a week and surprise, it got taken down a short while later because of "copyright infringment" aka LG didnt want people to know how shitty their flagships are and how much of a cheap jew they are, so they begged daddy google to delete the evidence, and even before it got deleted there was a guy with a suspicious name in the comments shilling the fucking thing, outright calling you retarded for believing such "rumours" even though the video clearly showed the malfunctioning phone.

Shitty phone, shitty brand, removable batteries are worthless, just dont cuck yourself with a 2800-3000 mAh battery on a UHD phone with shitty software.

Where the fuck do you live? this is more than the Moto G4 32GB.

I just want a reliable phone with a devent camera and good audio quality out of the jack.

Yeah it's alright.

how is the v20 faring? im thinking of getting one soon, has the bootloop problem been fixed?

>reliable phone
check
>decent camera
check
>good audio quality
check

It even has FM radio if that's your thing. And it just got the update for Nougat

Sounds good. Now I really just have to choose between Windows and Android and read a little bit more about the differences between Samsung and Sony.

Finland, moto g4 16GB is around 230€

You could have gotten a Galaxy S5 for the price of both of those phones and that phone just can't be beat for a good android experience (provided you root and install a custom rom with optimized kernel), the moto E is also a poor choice when the g4 play is about the same price and is currently the definitive cheap throw-away/stopgap phone with decent specs and software, iirc the moto e1 had 512 of ram with a shitty SD and the moto e2 had 1 GB with a mediatek, the G4 has 2 GB with SD410, horrible but still better.

>fm radio

oooo, are there any other phones that have FM radio?

I firmly disagree about the play. The thing here is that verizon prepaid phones are discounted yet still GSM unlocked. At $12 the moto e cannot be beat and the s4 was an impulse buy. I was just suprised to see how cheap they are on ebay. Even though I got one brand new for $100 at $75 used i cant think of a phone that beats it.
I don't think so. Check out a US reshipper and order one of the phones or the guy i replied to up there was talking about. Once again, prepaid verizon phones are subsidised yet they are GSM unlocked.

No LG phones at all man, skip on that shit. I had one and it bootlooped, funny because I got a G4 because it was supposed to be good. FUCK ME.

Have a relative that got the G4, never thought it was going to bootloop. It did. He got a loaner phone that ended up being the nexus 5x. That bootlooped too.

At this point I just can't recommend any LG phones, regardless of how phenomenal they are on paper. Hopefully rumors of them getting rid of the headphone jack aren't true though.

I need a new phone guys currently in the US. I am on Verizon. As for features I need a headphone jack(can't believe thats a feature now), Removable Storage, Big screen. I don't need these but they are a plus: good battery life, good speakers, decent camera. Budget isn't really a problem. What do y'all recommend?

When will Xiaomi actually come to North America? RN3P is literally the only phone they sell that has band 4 LTE (pretty much all of Canada), and that was almost a mistake. RN4X probably won't have band 4.

Carrier is Verizon, location is US
What are the go to Android phones under 200?
Don't care about having a huge screen, but good battery life and performance are pluses.

Zuk Z2 or Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

Zuk: better specs, slightly better camera.

Xiaomi: better battery life, bigger screen, slightly better software, cheaper.

They're both good phones. I have a Zuk.

Oh shit, Verizon. Nevermind. Those won't work for y

Are all LG products poorly made pieces of shit or just phones?

also what do you people do with your old phones once you've upgraded? I have an old galaxy S4 and it seems like a waste to just use it as a tv remote

Moto Z Play

Moto G4

Does having no sd card slot effect your usage much? I'm looking at the zuk but I don't know if I can get along with limited memory.

Why not just sell it? Or gift it to someone

I'm a pleb whom streams most of my music and video, so I don't really notice it at all.

How do I import zuk z2 without paying a lot of customs?

moto z droid or htc 10?

UK
Looking for Sim-free
Decent camera and good battery life, needs to run smoothly. SD card slot. Near stock if possible.

I prefer a smaller phone due to pocket size and ease of use.

I've got like £150 - £300 give or take.

Currently have a Moto g (3rd gen) which I liked but is beginning to show signs of battery deterioration.

I ordered mine from Amazon (had a gift card) and did not have to pay customs.

Moto g4

Yeah I thought about that, its slightly bigger than the moto g and I don't really want to go any bigger if I can help it, unless the specs are WAY better. If I was gonna go in that direction wouldn't you just get the g4 plus?

I own a iPod classic

here

>$600 budget
>must have European bands
>good camera
>no touchjizz
what are my options?

A little over your budget but maybe Sony Xperia X (Compact)?

Is there any phone modification (or phone, I may have overlooked one or two) with a horizontal slide-out QWERTY keyboard, like the N900 with a quad or octa core?

No Blackberry Priv, please. That one is vertical.

>tfw your Droid 4 is the equivalent of an evolutionary dead end

I know the Photon Q is a thing, but it needs to be modded to accept a SIM card and it's not that great of an upgrade.

Just hope they release a keyboard motomod

uno pluso 3 tea

>motomods
Everyone was shilling modular phones.
One actually comes out.
It's shit.
Fuck my life.

modular phones will always be shit
the entire concept is fucking shit
the only modular concept that will take off are human augmentations

Just bought this piece of shit. How do I get the weather on the lock screen?

>CyanogenMod is dead
>Lineage OS can't into HTTPS

u need to turn on gps always or go to weather/clock settings so it gets ur locatoin from the internet instead

what phone btw

opinions in the blackberry priv

overpriced shit for fedoras, same with the passport, just get a normal android phone and stop being so autistic about muh physical keyboard, if you truly cared about typing better and more comfortably you would be doing it from your desktop or a laptop instead, fucking retard

Is there a custom ROM project that tries to provide AOSP as unmodified as possible, without Google spyware?

Unfortunately cyanogenmod without gapps was exactly what you want, but its kill, even resurrection remix comes with unnecesary bloat, lets not even talk about dirty unicorn and other roms.

For example, the RN3P on stock miui used 1.3 GB of ram when idle and everything forcefully closed, with CM13 and gapps it used 850-ish, without gapps it lingered between 560-720.

HTC desire Verizon prepaid. Not gonna activate it. I bought it for music and to have a camera.

You can still download Cyanogenmod. It just won't be updated.

I think I'll just get a Sony Xperia X Compact and build AOSP myself.

It's commendable how Sony provides not only the complete source code but detailed build instructions:

developer.sonymobile.com/open-devices/aosp-build-instructions/how-to-build-aosp-nougat-for-unlocked-xperia-devices/#build-experimental-aosp-nougat-7-1

+1 for Sony

Yeah but they didnt get to a stable build of CM14.1, marshmallow feels like a beta build, even lollipop felt more solid and was an actual change from KK.

well I did ask for opinions
thanks user

>not using KK+security patches
It's like you love bloat

Stock KK is slow as shit mane what the fuck, and it doesnt even come with the little button to open the app drawer unless you use another launcher, pure shit.

Moto Z Play seems a good phone

nigga there are like 10 desires, which one do you have

>slow as shit
Do you literally have any fact to back that up?

>and it doesnt even come with the little button to open the app drawer unless you use another launcher, pure shit.
You can configure your buttons to do whatever the fuck you want, you know.

The modular part is 100% meme tho.

it has a lot of cuckware on it.
i enable gps but still nothing. also there is no mention of weather anywhere in the setting/clock. android 6.0.1.

ehh, I could see myself using the speaker and battery pack mods, and a gamepad mod would be nice to see (Xperia play style)

There are a lot of mods that 'would be nice to see'. Shame we're not getting any of them.

>desire 530

How much did you pay for it? the g4 play is more or less the same price and its better, plus stock android and bigger battery.

Never buy budget HTC or samsung phones, let this be a lesson for next time, if you want a throwaway phone buy a chinkphone with a lot of third party support.

$34 plus tax

and by the way the weather doesnt work because it needs to pick up your location from gps, which needs the sim card unless you configure it so it gets the location from a fixed place from the internet, but since you mentioned it doesnt have that option youre fucked

download nova prime and klwp and get to ricing asap, make a better weather/date/clock widget and pair it with a cute anime girl wallpaper on your homescreen, stock widgets are usually shit

Oh it was a good deal then, here the G4 play is around 120 dollars and on black friday it was 100 but it came with a screen protector and some earbuds, i got mine about 2 months ago and it's great.

Complete idiot here. I only really care about camera quality and hard drive space. And obviously it's got to be able to browse online. Already have a prepaid SIM.

What should I get for max $150USD?

Bearing in mind I live in Australia.

>stock widgets
not using a widget. i just wanted it to show on the lock screen. but now that you said that i used it just got it to work. Thanks user!!!!

i know. thats why i bought it. like i said, its for music and a just in case camera.

Want a compact phone. Currently using iphone 4s.x compact not available in Aus and z5 is a year and bit old and I want something brand new. Should I just get a pixel?

>wants big rom and good camera for 150 burger coins
lel

serious answer, probably a refurbished/used LG G2, i heard those don't bootloop, it started with the G3 and got worse since the N5 but reached its apex with the G4.

turn off the gps, its a huge battery drain

i know that. i've been using android since the G1. ironic that 1.xworked better than the shit that is 5 and up.

ATT Lf $200~ phone my s4 active just broke and I need a new phone. BLU Vivo 5 and J3 seem to fit my needs are these any good?

I just placed my order for a Google Pixel since it was on sale.

$600 Cancuck bucks ($450 USD) for the normal 32GB version.

I'm upgrading from an HTC M7 that I already have a buyer for that's going to pay $160 ($120 USD).

Help me justify my purchase. I hate spending money even on good deals.

iPhone SE

G4 Play, P9 Lite

tyvm

Get the ZUK Z2 or Oukitel K6000 pro

>$240/1000 pln budget
>must have European bands (poland)
>5.2-5.5"
>has an cyanogenmod port
what should i take?

Going to second this If you can't get the compact in Australia then your Android mini-phone options are going to be pretty slim. Most chink companies don't focus on mini phones or don't make them at all so they're usually shit with no modding community.
At least with the iPhone SE you'll have a few years of updates inline for you and it has better battery life than the actual iPhone flagships while keeping the same performance and great camera.

Damn. The Redmi Note 3 Pro probably won't work on my backward-ass country's Optus network (Australia). Is there a similar Chink alternative which would work here?

Was looking to buy the Moto G4 off amazon.
Is there a reason the version WITHOUT ads is cheaper than the version with currently?
Want to make sure I'm not accidentally getting the one with lockscreen cancer

Redmi Note 3 Pro special edition

Honor 7 lite

What bands are missing? willmyphonework.com is saying it'd work just fine (the special edition that is)

im getting a mate 9 for 510 euros. What does Sup Forums think?

is nexus 5/5x still relevant?

does lg g3 suffers bootlops issue?