/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.
newegg.com/Mktplace/SellerProfile.aspx?SellerId=AC4Z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posted in last thread, but it's archived now.

>Budget
$100 - $200
>Location
US
>Source
Garbage (Phone jack, laptop jack, low quality music player)
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
High
>Sound signature
V-Shape
>Past headphones
m50: Good sound. Thought they were uncomfortable
VModa M100: Same as above
>Other
Prefer folding headphones if possible.

Looking at DT770, but they're not folding.

So is ebay the best way to sell headphones?

also post yours too

Got my HD 600's today, now I'm just waiting for the Fulla 2 to arrive.

If I'm looking at a DAC/Amp combo to purely power headphones not looking for any fancy features or switches for multiple outs or transformers for speakers or anything what's best at 100USD or lower?
Eventually going to be used for AKG 712s or possibly BD880s, current headphones don't need anything special to drive them but looking forward to the future
Portability isn't a concern, gonna be sitting on a desk.

The K712 is shit, get a 702 or 7XX instead

It's the other way around.

Got my fulla 2 yesterday and it sounds great so far. I wouldn't say it's on par with my magni but it's a great portable solution which is what I wanted. Build quality is also 10/10

Micca Origen. Great value and sounds great for a starter budget.

Sounds good. Well yeah I don't expect it to be on par with the Magni/Modi stack, but I didn't really feel like spending that much money so I'm excited. Portability also sounds nice, but it'll just sit on my desk.

You'll be happy with it for sure. Maybe get a dedicated power supply if you're using it as a permanent solution. Might as well take the strain of your USB port if you can.

Also the mini USB connector was tight on mine but I read you can loosen up the case then retighten once you plug it in. I just jammed it in and it's fine now.

By dedicated power supply, do you just mean using something like a phone charger connected to it? Also, if it works, I'm planning on plugging both my speakers and my headphones into it. Would I just connect the Fulla 2 my PC and,the 3.5mm from my speakers into the back of the Fulla?

Haven't gotten to modding them yet aside from a new cable and pads, they are more well rounded (work well for alot of different music) than the DT880

e0k

e10k*

The 7xx is nearly identical to the 712, it just has more bass

I... I'm not sure what I want.

I've always used earbuds. I'd prefer neutral/accurate sound and probably for the thing to be wireless and maybe also have a microphone. Not sure about that last part though since I have a mic already and rarely use it. Suppose it could come in handy for a call?

I dunno man.

and its cheaper

They both cost the same, 7xx is around 200 in US and the 712 is around 200 in EU

Actually I'd prefer it to have controls. That usually includes a mic, right?

Can only find the Origen+, did the original get phased out? Stretching a little beyond my budget

Will check this out too thanks, good power for its price?

Also as a completely separate question what spec determines how well a phone can drive some headphones? Loudspeaker power? Just curious.

>Budget
$60-$90
>Location
US
>Source
FiiO X1 Gen 2
>Type of headpone
IEM's
>Comfort level
Decent
>Sound signature
Don't know but I listen to a lot of EDM with bass
>Past headphones
NarMoo S1 High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones

I'm looking at the Shure SE215-K but I read reviews saying that they don't have a lot of bass

Don't pads kill the low end on them?

the amp

Got a question about headphone power:

I've got Sennheiser HD598s which I know aren't top shelf, but they are capable of good mid-range sound.

I also have a Schiit Magni/Modi combo but I haven't been using the amp at all. I have a really nice old NAD Power Envelope amp I use to power my speakers and honestly the headphone output from that sounds much nicer. It's got a solid, deeper sound and overall seems more "rich" as opposed to the cool neutrality of the Schiit, which is a little less involving and quite weak in the low end for these cans.

My question is, is there no getting around this with the Magni, or is it more an issue with the headphones? I'd much rather use the Magni when I'm not using my speakers due to the wonderfully low noise floor (my NAD has a pretty dirty, buzzy background with headphones) and also there's no need for me to have a big hefty power amp sucking juice and turning my money into heat when I'm not using my speakers.

Has anyone else compared the Magni to other similarly priced headphone amps or directly compared it with the headphone stages of good hifi amps? Is it just that I need better headphones?

help

e10

Is there any significant difference in quality between HD 668Bs and HD 681 EVOs? And does anyone know how they fit turned towards the back of the head/neck?

MDR-1A only folds flat, and it's not a v-shape. Also you have to ship it from Amazon.co.uk to get it for under 200. Still a really solid option.

buy headphones that have your preferred sound profile

Not shure 1540 pads, bass is still good

>preferred sound profile

I clearly just explained that the "Sound Profile" of my headphones changes quite significantly over two different sources. You really genuinely provided nothing useful with that statement.

you have a good amp and a bad amp
you dislike the good amp because it doesn't change your headphones to your preferred sound profile

the solution to this is to either EQ, which is a bad thing or buy headphones that suit your preferred sound profile

AKA buy some bassier headphones you nigger

>either EQ, which is a bad thing
why is it a bad thing?

>as opposed to the cool neutrality of the Schiit,
How can neutral be cool? Those headphones simply don't have much bass. The schiit is showing you how the headphone sounds exactly

I can't speak on the fulla 2 but it looks a bit of a meme. I use my 600's with the e10k and it's all you need. Either way you bought the best headphones.

I suppose this makes sense. I really just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced the Schiit as sounding flat and uninspired, or if my hifi setup just has a sub-par headphone stage that's coloring the sound and making it seem thicker.

Given I enjoy the very natural sounding midrange of the Sennheisers and have a particular appreciation for headphones with a deep sound stage, what would you recommend? I like most aspects of the Sennies, including the structure/evenness of the bass, but I would prefer that the bass was more in line and didn't roll off. I guess they could be a little brighter too.

changing the sound profile of your headphones always comes with distortion, some handle it better than others and with some minor tweaks it won't be very noticable, but it's still there and it's still a bad thing

in a perfect scenario nobody has to alter the sound profile of their equipment, either voluntarily or involuntarily

dt880, dt990 if you're a REAL nigger

Artificially colors the sound. Adds noise to the signal chain. Degrades the overall signal. Also opens the system up to unnaturally large power spikes at high volumes.

Overall transparency of an EQ highly depends on the quality and engineering of the components used. Really, EQs are mostly good for pro-audio environments where you're trying to make up for issues with room-based reflections and resonances; not for trying to pick up the slack up poor quality speakers and components that will never sound good.

>if anyone else had experienced the Schiit as sounding flat and uninspired
Nah, the 598 is flat and uninspired.

>Overall transparency of an EQ highly depends on the quality and engineering of the components used.
I'm just talking about EQAPO sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

>changing the sound profile of your headphones always comes with distortion
Even if all you're doing is reducing certain frequencies?

>dt880, dt990 if you're a REAL nigger
I'd avoid this unless you really like ear piercing treble

It's not. Quite the opposite if you know what you are doing and are using a good parametric equalizer, preferably software one. Can't believe there are people still advocating against DSP correction.

he said he wanted more treble as well, so I gave him more treble
dt880 isn't that bright

I bought a pair of IEM a few weeks ago for €70. Shure SE215. They are good. But I am not satisfied and want to sell them to buy another IEM.

I've been using this site to help me decide what IEM to consider purchasing. Is it a site I can trust?
head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.

I want the best of the best, but I'm looking for IEM suited to these keywords especially:
clean accurate detail clarity analytical crisp definition precision resolution focused neutral realistic three-dimensional depth clear transparent raw crystal-clear texture impeccable fidelity tight.

What would you recommended? I want a noticeable step up from the Shure SE215.

Sounds like a case of high output impedance, low damping, which results into very warm sound on those Sennheisers and apparently you prefer it. You can just... "correct" the response with a magical software called equalizer.

Would you recommend the SE215 for someone on a budget? Also how is the bass?

half of those keywords are memes
that isn't a site, but a thread, it's a single person's opinion

1More Triple Driver

Is there a guide to HI-FI audio?

I lost my music library and want to rebuild in FLAC and have a nice comfy listening room.

I also want to buy CDs and more vinyl

any measurements or are we going by someone saying something about them somewhere therefore they are good?

>Would you recommend the SE215 for someone on a budget? Also how is the bass?
Yeah I'd recommended them if you are willing to pay around that price. The bass is real good. I'm no expert though so look for a second opinion. The Shure SE215 are in high regard. I feel a bit self-conscious wearing them in public because they look a bit odd.

668B's have more bass [midbass especially]

they'd probably work tilted back but im not sure why you'd want that

the clamp is fairly tight stock.

If I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't consult anonymous people on Sup Forums. You know what I want - I want to hear every aspect of the sound.

>Budget
100 Euros

>Location
EU

>Source
Phone, Sansa Fuze

>Type of headpone
IEM

>Comfort level
Good, with a firm seating

>Sound signature
Not anemic

>Past headphones
SoundMagic PL30, Sennheiser CX300

Been looking at Focal Sphear and 1MORE E1001.

honestly you'd probably get that with any good headphones regardless of the sound profile

se215

Home:
Phillips 9500S + Boom Pro

Work:
Sennheiser HD 598 CS

In shipping:
Phillips A5 Pro
Sony MDR-V6

Returned:
Phillips Fidelio X2
AKG K550

Future Purchase:
Sennheiser HD 6XX + ??? Amp

Rate me, /hpg/

Why did you return the X2?

>In shipping:
>Phillips A5 Pro

He's a nigger.

Not comfy enough, gave me headaches if I wore them for too long. I liked their sound and the look and feel, but for $200 I'm not keeping them around for short listening periods.

AKG K550 wasn't bad, I just wasn't impressed enough to keep them versus the others.

That bass heavy, huh? I just wanted to try a closed back Phillips.

Thoughts on the newer Xiaomi earbuds?

I think they're called the Xiao MIs.

Worth getting? My old earbuds just crapped out and I loved the Piston 2s.

>That bass heavy, huh? I just wanted to try a closed back Phillips.
They're bass-focused closed-backs with very good isolation so the nigger factor is very prominent. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing, especially the build quality and materials (beyers got nothing on those) but they aren't meant for home listening, it's DJ gear for very noise environments.

What are the pair of cans that you own, that you can wear 5+ hours and not feel a thing?
MDR-V6 w/ Velour pads here

Anyone own Philips SHP9500's?

Looking to get my first pair of decent headphones (everything I've owned have been cheap Walmart ones) and these seem to be good, and they're on for a real good price on Newegg right now.

ATH-AD700, can wear them 24/7 if you want, you don't even feel them.

They're a complete steal for americans due to the extremely low price, grab them without doubt.

Do these memes sound good?

That's more pathological aversion to equalization. It's like scrawling CDs with green markers, a practice born out of astounding ignorance.

You can screw up the signal by using an EQ badly, but you can avoid that by keeping simple considerations in mind.
-The biggest one by far is mismanaged gain. You want to avoid clipping the signal digitally. Counteract the EQ boosts by sliding back the preamp/gain to prevent digital overload.
-Some EQs really do just suck, and are practically defective by design (foobar2k, winamp...). Mercifully, most parametric EQs such as EQAPO, and plenty of VST/AU plugins aren't broken.
-A long way down the line is using the wrong type of phase shift. Most consumer EQ is of the minimum phase type (you can assume that by default), and you'll want to stick with that. Linear phase, even if it sounds fancy and is more computationally intensive, is really a niche EQ meant for adjustments in a very specific case.

>Even if all you're doing is reducing certain frequencies?
If you're worrying about quantization noise from the LSBs in float-point and not frequency domain errors - you've picked on something that could almost be relevant (quantization) and ignored the glaring, very easily detected (linear) problems you have.
If you're worrying about linear excursion limits, the previous statement is still mostly applicable here, even if the excursion issue can be audible.

9500's and hd 600's

>They're a complete steal for americans due to the extremely low price, grab them without doubt.
I'm in Canada, but yeah they're real cheap. They're like $150 on Amazon right now but $65 (+ $7 shipping) on Newegg. Gonna order them real soon unless someone replies with a reason not too soon.

Keep in mind they're for home use, not travel or office, but yeah, pick up a pair.

They use bog standard 3.5mm cables, so that's a big plus.

ATH-AD700X or AD900X as good, or just the 700 series?

>ATH-AD700X or AD900X as good, or just the 700 series?

They seem to have the same build, size and suspension system, might be heavier though? Dunno, look at specs.

598's
dont have em anymore but they were nice
DT 770's with velours get close.

M-Audio HDH50
BT DT-250

But they all depend on your head size/shape

Can anyone explain me how the fuck virtualization IPs work?

Like, for example, I have the IP 177.77.77.69 on my Windows 10 (external and static) and I make a virtual machine with Centos and the external ip is 177.77.77.69 because they literally share the network. Now let's say I install ssh on Centos and try to connect from outside. I ssh the ip mentioned before and I connect there, right? How does it make a difference between the host and the VM if they both have the same ip? how does it even work

i'm a little bit drunk so sorry if this doesn't make sense

>i'm a little bit drunk
It shows

>Budget
Probably 300 USD max

>Location
New Zealand but have access to a pretty reliable freight forwarding service if need be

>Source
Possibly a Modi 2/Magni 2 but still haven't decided what AMP/DAC I will go with

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
No major preference

>Comfort level
Comfort is nice but not at the expense of sound quality

>Sound signature
No idea

>Past headphones
m50s which I was happy with

ty

Is the fiio x3?

are 9500s a good choice for someone who mostly listens to rock/metal?

Found a good deal on headphones, but it's from a seller called Beach Camera, and most of their headphones dont have reviews.
It seems sketchy, but it's a real website, just selling through Amazon?

Is it worth trying it?

You really can't go wrong with that price.
Some consider them the lesser soundstaged babybrother to HD600s.
I bought them at 80 and incredibly satisfied with what I got for that.

I'd like to know too

Anyone tried ATH-R70x? They seem to have good reviews and a sweet price point but I have never seen them mentioned here.

no they are shit

Just picked up Sennheiser 471 for about $90
How did I do?

>literally a model from 70s revived because of autism
>good

They're going to snap or one channel will die within a couple of months top.

Been looking online about them and most sources are saying build quality is decent

What headphones? They've got MDR-V6's on sale for $65 through Newegg and I've been thinking of getting them.

>Budget
$250
>Location
Australia
>Source
FiiO E10K Olympus 2/smartphone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
Open?
>Comfort level
Comfy pls
>Sound signature
neutral.
>Past headphones
Pic related

Most expensive IEM was a $150 a-Jays Fives but I lost them somehow. Something that securely fits too.

The T50rp, they come with a small Amp+ Case.
They have drones that have plenty of reviews. Google and business reviews say it's an OK site, but Yelp says it's a fucking trap. People on Yelp have all just had bad returns.

You really can't find better headphones at that $50 price range than the SHP9500's. Fairly detailed across the frequency response but there is room for improvement. You'll have to spend at least $200 and above for anything significantly better though.

>Budget
less than 150$ preferably but negotiable
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Over the ear
>Open or closed
Either
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Don't really care

My main criteria is I want something bulletproof. I'm fed up with cheap shit that breaks in half after a couple months of light use. I don't care about sound quality, I already have a quality amp and speakers for serious listening. This is just for occasional multiplayer gaming so I need a mike.

When I was in the military I saw a lot of people at work with aviation-style headsets that were PC-compatible and built like tanks. That's the kind of shit I want. Don't care if it sounds like ass, it just needs to have a mike and last forever.

newegg.com/Mktplace/SellerProfile.aspx?SellerId=AC4Z
wew laddie
Not sure if I wanna go through with this right now. You'd think Newegg would get on this company's ass after all these complaints but the headphones just went on sale today.

Head-Fi usually works better at that.

I have not and will not bother updating this.

Yeah after reading what you just posted, I'll just pay $160 for the headphones and get it from Fostex, I'm not taking a chance dealing with that shit when I'm dropping a good amount of money

Fiio E17 amp, Fidelio x2 or akg k712s bros

Canadian here, I got them a few weeks ago for $65.

The only thing you need to consider is how far you sit from your sound source, the cable it comes with is 5ft. If you sit about 4ft from your sound source then you'll need to buy a longer 3.5mm cable, because if the cable is pulling at all it decreases the clamp force and they'll slip around on your head.

With an 8ft cable they are a pretty great deal.

alright so my philips shp9500(s) arrived today and they're pretty alright
just switched from my steelseries v1 i've been using for around 7 years, nearly exactly the same except a little clearer

still would like to try out some m-100s though. wish they were in retail stores so i could just nab a pair and try em out

Is the Superflux 683b still relevant? Looking for some cheap cans for music listening and gaymen.

Well, I wouldn't buy a TV/monitor from them, but I'm OK with headphones

>fell for the beyer comfy meme

Got 880 pros and their clamp is insane. I know it'll wear but jesus.