/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

MSI GAMING 5 or ASUS Z97-A?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157685
pcpartpicker.com/list/vJPQwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>user just reinstall windows, you fucked up somewhere.

Should I just go all out and DBAN it?

No need to DBAN, you are reinstalling windows not hiding yourself from FBI/CIA/Government institution/Removing Ransom-Cryptoware/Etc.

Windows installer format option will be enough.

Alright, note taken. Good thing because that would do a number on my SSD.

Anybody know why the fuck this is happening?
Just started now when I installed some new software thing for my audio interface. Window is just blank.

I bought one of these. I didn't think of it before buying, but this thing gets really fucking hot. Is it suppose to get this hot? It is almost hot enough to burn, like your seatbelt if you left your car in the sun.

Probably adware that came with the installer.
Run Adwcleaner.

Yes, the smaller it is the less space it has to dissipate heat.
Ofcourse it will get hot and die fast.

Having just built my first pc with an Nvidia gpu, and only after then learning about freesync and gsync, will my card take advantage of my monitor's vertical sync capabilities? Is vertical sync related to free sync/gsync?

MSI tru be honest. I've never had a problem with any of their products.

no, thats the actual program that I want to run. It's a control panel program to set the audio latency and sample rate and all that. I tried installing another program as well and it just opens up white.

i second this.

How should I go about encrypting my Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

I hate to take this another step forward but I just ran search everything on my laptop (not the same PC I have been referring to) and ataport comes up as well.

Im just confused at this point....

Apologies for railing on this single issue.

I guess i will have for it to be on stock again, right now is being sold by 3rd party stores in amazon.

I could buy ASUS Z97 right away but i have no hurry.

If I were to upgrade my cpu and motherboard then reinstall windows, which would be better to do first?

ataport.sys is a standard driver, it might be your hardware (e.g. HDD/SSD) being faulty and causing the issue.

ataport.sys is present in all computers that use windows, i have it too.

Its giving you problems for something you changed or something that might be running.
Usually when something is giving you problems and you have no need to create backups the logical thing to do is reinstall windows.
If the problems persist then its time to check for hardware problems.

Remove and put again your SSD SATA cable both in the motherboard and in the drive.

Can anyone explain me how the fuck virtualization IPs work?

Like, for example, I have the IP 177.77.77.69 on my Windows 10 (external and static) and I make a virtual machine with Centos and the external ip is 177.77.77.69 because they literally share the network. Now let's say I install ssh on Centos and try to connect from outside. I ssh the ip mentioned before and I connect there, right? How does it make a difference between the host and the VM if they both have the same ip? how does it even work

i'm a little bit drunk so sorry if this doesn't make sense

Lmao i posted this by mistake in headphone general, what a cuck general, who cares about headphones that much, literally my $5 headphones sound the same as super geek $500 ones retards

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157685

I recently purchased this for my parents, and while installing the whole computer, i just realized that there's no direct VGA
should I get them a VGA-DVI adapter or a VGA-HDMI adapter?

Alright. My pc so far has only experienced two blue screens. And they both happened as I was resetting it.

I will try this.

So....no malware? Maybe? here is the original screen capture from my new PC

>Graphics Output Options: DVI-D, HDMI
>DVI-D
Ya blew it m8
Better just buy an el cheapo GPU with either a DVI-I or VGA port.
Or get them a modern screen.

Its not malware for sure.
Its either a software(Windows) or Hardware issue.

That is somewhat expensive for a H110 motherboard.

My dad's got a problem with LEDs so a modern screen wouldn't work
Fug, guess ill have to pop over to best buy or something and pick up a GPU
keep in mind it's canuck bucks, our dollar is trash right now

>My dad's got a problem with LEDs so a modern screen wouldn't work
What.

Try a GT videocard.

They seem to give him headaches and nausea
I think its a small percentage of the population that just can't handle them

Might be because of PVM backlighting.
Look it up, there are screens without it.

LED lights have problems(High speed flashing) that are harmful for some people but LED screens dont are affected by it (Unless we add PVM backlight in consideration).

>Its not malware for sure.
>Its either a software(Windows) or Hardware issue.

Alright interesting. Well I will try to fix it later tonight or tomorrow. I may just update my SATA drivers and see what happens, if it is related to SATA shit like describes.

mustve been the high speed flashing then

pls respond

user just reinstall windows.
I know it will take longer but you can confirm if its windows or your SSD Drive/cable/Other.

how do you delete music downloaded via upnp on android foobar2000? it downloads it to a root folder and my phone is not rooted. i can't seem to find an option to delete tracks in the app itself.

Ha, alright.

Thanks for the help.

What is in Sup Forums experience the coldest running gtx 1080 card?

Hi, im trying to bridge two routers using a lubuntu laptop, i did it yesterday, but someone unplugged the laptop and i can't get it to work again

I did it by going to Network Connections -> Ethernet -> Edit -> IPv4 Settings -> Shared to other computers; it took a while i think i had to reboot the router n° "2" at some time, i just don't remember in what order i had to connect the cable, reboot the shit, and change the settings, or if i touched anything else, or if there's a better way to do it.

Anybody knows?

I can't launch Mankind Divided, gives me this error, crashes on intro all the time

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DXMD.exe
Application Version: 1.11.616.0
Application Timestamp: 5821c5a6
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23539
Fault Module Timestamp: 57c99bd4
Exception Code: e06d7363
Exception Offset: 000000000001a06d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5c63
Additional Information 2: 5c63c7659125a882dd2099aa47aaeda4
Additional Information 3: ef4d
Additional Information 4: ef4d0374abd0d485fddfc9a99e82eb89

I heard I could bypass the issue if I changed my location in the control panel, but doesn't work for me at all.

I can play if I switch to a Guest profile, but then I don't have my saves.

Also I got a BSOD while playing the game, might be relevant info I guess

my screenfetch ascii image is broken by my graphics info after an update. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling screenfetch, no dice. what do i do?

Is this just an inaccurate temp reading or what?

What videocard do you have?

Gigabyte 970

Yes otherwise it would have hit the safety shutdown.

Your motherboard thermometer is kill.
Try checking trough HWmonitor or OpenHardwareMonitor.

I am a mouthbreathing layperson. How do I know which GPU is better? Like is an Intel 620 or whatever better than a slightly slower dedicated NVIDIA one?

Is this even something I should bother considering if I only do very light PC gaming? The extent of my laptop gaming is simple steam fare like ShovelKnight and sometimes Dungeon Fighter

i mean, here's some food for thought; cs:source runs on an acer chromebook 11 with ubuntu unity at ~40fps and those things have celerons with integrated graphics. You probably don't need to worry much about low-spec games.

I have the Z97-A. Flawless board. I'd definitely recommend.

Is it the USB 3.0 or the USB 3.1 version?

oh fuck

I just tried out putting the save files elsewhere and the game starts just fine.

Is there a way I can revert my save files to their last version? Fuck

I won an ipad pro from work, should I keep it or sell it? I want a laptop/tablet to watch anime when traveling, but never used Apple and it seems like a piece of shit.

My tablet just got banned from Sup Forums
I was posting with it this morning, but now it's banned apparently since april 2015. Is this a case of mobile ip shenanigans?

Very stupid question inbound, but is it intensive to run dual monitors? I've never done it.

Can someone recommend a GPU for video encoding? It will be the only thing it will be doing. I won't be gaymen with it.

No unless you are doing intensive stuff in both of them.

Are there any good USB-C passthrough charging/sync docks?

Just got a Pixel and can't find one that seems trustworthy. Most of them are just Micro-USB to USB-C converters and people claim they charge incredibly slowly.

is there a chance Zen will be a good processor?

ok see, now i "got it working" by disabling dhcp in Router 2 and giving it a fixed private ip, but now this is going on:

Computer 1 connects to Router 2 and gets internet and adminpage of Router 1, cant access adminpage of Router 2, nor see it

Computer 2 and Mobile 1 connect to Router 2 but get NO internet and NO access to Router 1 but YES access to adminpage of Router 2

And if nmap my shit from Computer 1 i can see that Computer 2 and Mobile 1 are NOT connected to the same network Computer 1 is.

Also Computer 1 got assigned 10.42.0.133 instead of 192.*.*.* as it normally goes

now that motorola is owned by lenovo are they a better company to buy from compared to when they were owned by microsoft?

My ancient second monitor finally passed away
Looking for a pretty cheap monitor to use in portrait mode to save some space on my desk
and spread my tabs out, music player, etc.
Not going to be main monitor so LCD/LED is fine
The free ports on my graphics card are DVI-I DVI-D and displayport

if quality isn't a concern, why not just pick up a suitable second hand monitor?

Anyone know if any retailers like Digikey, Mouser, etc. offer student discounts?

So just search Amazon/Newegg for refurbished monitors and make sure it isn't affixed to a stand so that I can turn it for portrait use?

pretty much
while i haven't done any portrait setups myself, i'd be surprised if there wasn't generic VESA-connected stands that could rotate, most monitors have VESA connectors on them

same guy here with the same motherboard, it being DDR4 is only for ram right? Could I put in any GPU, such as a DDR3 one?

ever wondered what those four holes on the back of most monitors are? those are the VESA mounting holes, it's standard

Ah, learned something new!
So anything with VESA should be able to be snapped out, rotated, and snapped back in?

Gsync and freesync are variants of adaptive sync. Unless you have a monitor that explicitly features these and has a displayport input, you cannot use adaptive sync. If you're talking about vertical syn as in "vsync" on your control panel or in a games video settings, then that will lock the frame rate to the refresh rate of the monitor as well as introducing a reduction in screen-tearing at the cost of some latency and cpu overhead.

can i update my website's "copyright all rights reserved" to 2017 even though it's still 2016 now?

I want to practice coding between semesters.
What's some good practice?

Buy a used low-spec card for less than $30, the gt 210, 610, 740, and the r5 240 are all cards that are sold in stores with that type of spec but at more than you should pay for them

You can change it to 2043 if you want.

Got a $10 iTunes gift card. What should I get?

Got no answer from /hpg/

I'm thinking about migrating my Linux build to a smaller case, which would also mean that I need to get a new motherboard. Would there be any complications with doing this? I'm switching from the MSI Z170-A Pro to the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming (yeah I know it's gaymer shit, but it has all the features I want).

Sample build: pcpartpicker.com/list/vJPQwV

I kinda fucked up and fucked a new CPU and possibly a motherboard with retard strength because I pulled out the old CPU when it was locked in. My new CPU is missing a pin but heats up when the computer turns on. However I get no monitor/USB response. Is it the motherboard that's fucked or the cpu or both?

>Pins
Another bad thing from AMD CPUs.
If it were bent you could just put it back in place but its gone.

>New build
>AMD Based
You just keep making mistakes.

Salvage what you can and restart.

There are literally zero problems with amd

the VESA mount only refers to the four holes on the back, it doesn't mean the stand with be rotatable, so be sure the one you pick can do so if you need it

that said, i'm pretty sure the pattern is square, so even if it's not rotatable, you could just affix it permanently in the portrait orientation, if you don't need to be able to easily rotate it

>DDR3
>Inferior CPUs for single core stuff which is pretty much everything
>Dead socket
>No M2
And so on.

Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere

How can I edit an existing theme in Firefox?
In this case, just change the colors. I can't find the CSS anywhere.

Windows sometimes assigns a code to your motherboard, so when you upgrade, it may ask you to reinstall anyway.

How worth it even is overclocking?

I'm planning on dropping a pretty penny for my first build, pcpartpicker.com/list/ but I'm not sure if it's really worth it to spend the extra on the processor and mobo for overlocking. I plan to do some video editing and streaming here and there but can I get by with something less?

Also just how important is it for me to wait until ryzen prices are announced to buy my CPU?

I currently have a vpn server running on a raspberry pi with some shared drives on it.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the following, if I am connecting remotely from a laptop to access the files, stream stuff, etc:

Just connect to the vpn and point to the shared drive

or

Use a vpn server and an ftp server.

Looks like a 10/10.
Just look at all that nothing with nothing.

As a general rule, never wait. You didn't link anything. Don't spend a shitton extra for overclocking if you don't have an obvious need.

No, not related.

What is the best program to test whether an HDD is failing?

Shit album desu. I bought FFVI.

What is the best chrome-based alternative for windows? I'm getting mixed messages on whether Iridium is reliable/safe

Chrome.

Ok, what is the best non-botnet/Floss chrome-based alternative for windows?

I'm on neetbux and I forgot to report ~$500 of income from half a year ago when a sysadmin hurt their back by being fat and needed me to do stuff. Is this going to be a problem?

you're fucked user

>WIN10 drag and drop over drives
I want to change it to move files instead of copying them from one drive to another.

A few weeks ago I started getting these single green or red dot on my minotor

they keep multiplying every day, seems to differ locations depending on the program too

my gpu is dying, isn't it?

Try known good.

What are some good books for subs to read?

Am I at any kind of risk of corrupting anything because of the installer incorrectly downloading an old version of the drivers, and then allowing me to successfully re-install what I had by the same methods?

Everything within Windows, dxdiag and Radeon settings say I'm using the correct drivers. Tested a few games for about 10 minutes each and absolutely nothing crashed. Haven't seen if anything fucks up during longer use, but somehow it turned out fine.

Is there a way to check if 2 drivers for the same GPU are conflicting? I don't even know if that's possible.

Report that shit however they let you. Saves you from being sued or having to deal with 1099s. The IRS is a load of shit, but it's worth being honest if you took it in as taxable income and not under the table.