Superior Laptop Thread

Proud owner of a ThinkPad T400 here.
2.4GHz Core2Duo
8GB RAM
Switchable Graphics (Intel Graphics and AMD 3470)
250GB SSD
I haven't even once considered getting a newer laptop in the 5 years that I've had this machine. It runs Debian with MATE like a charm (Windows 7 too if you're into malware)
Anyone else so into ThinkPads? What's your favorite ThinkPad and why do you consider them superior over any other machine out there?

PS: Pic not mine because I don't own a camera because these are actually just tracking devices and I don't want the government to know where I live or what my penis looks like or something.
PPS: No, I'm not gonna install Gentoo.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B004XCWOQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hCPzybQZ6C7Y8
hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

T420 for life. Comfiest computer I've ever owned.

Acer Aspire E5-575G here,
Not a Dell Inspiron or XPS but still a nice PC

I have a T520, also super comfy... Basically a larger T420.

X201 here, I've had it for 3 years now and I don't think I'll upgrade for at least another 3. Only thing I dislike with the X201 is the low resolution TN screen, If it had a 1920x1200 IPS screen I'd be happy to keep using it another 7 years or so.

Anything before T430, T530 and X230 is just perfect. I don't like the way they're going with the chiclet style keyboard. It's not that I'm against chiclet keys, I actually think they're still super comfortable to type on. It's just the layout. So terrible. There was literally no reason to go from a 7 row to a 6 row.
They're wasting so much space on those machines just for the sake of moving the power button to the right. They just dropped the dedicated volume keys for no damn reason and they even removed the browser navigation keys. For no reason. Literally.

What is the point of a high resolution screen on a 12" laptop? Scaling is bad on most operating systems, and if you use it as it is, you'll go blind. What's the point?

"DESIGNATED LENOVO FART SMELLING THREAD"

>and they even removed the browser navigation keys. For no reason. Literally.
I always turn those off anyway because I always press them when I want to press the arrow keys.

True that. The 1280x800 on my T400 bothers me a bit. On 14" 1440x900 would be ideal. Or maybe 1600x900 as the newer T series models use. Anything higher would require GUI scaling and I'm not really into that. Just doesn't work the way it's supposed to with 90% of software.

Really? To me those are among the most important keys. I just hate it when I have to move my mouse to the navigation buttons in the browser.

>Really? To me those are among the most important keys. I just hate it when I have to move my mouse to the navigation buttons in the browser.

At first I thought "neat", but I always pushed those buttons. I only used them for their intended purpose maybe 3 out of 1000 times that I pushed them, so it made no sense to keep them.

WHY PEOPLE KEEP MAKING SHITPAD THREADS OUTSIDE /tpg/

My friends XPS 13 at 200% scaling works pretty well on Windows 10 / Fedora.

Most modern operating systems do a good job with scaling but every user (I mean 100% of users) will come across software that doesn't support scaling and that's gonna look fucked up or don't work at all.

facebook machine of neckbeard variety

Sup Forums BTFO
T
F
O
Sent from my iPod

My dream thinkpad would be the w701 ds

Dude that's like made by aliens or something

Used to have a T400, had it for two years before the motherboard died. Upgraded to a T420, since the repair wasn't worth it. Switched the DVD drive for a second SSD, really does feel comfy.
The only thing I don't like about it is that the i key is starting to ply tricks with me, won't trigger unless I press kinda hard on it, much harder than other keys. Keyboards aren't too expensive if I ever have to swap it, so there's that.

Currently looking for a cheap x220.

>Core2Duo
>Superior
kys

I have a T400 too, greatest laptop that exists.

dank

Is this a good laptop?

ThinkPad T61, T61p

IBM Thinkpad T61 14.1" Laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, 120GB Hard Drive, 1024Mb RAM, DVD/CDRW Drive, XP Profesional) amazon.com/dp/B004XCWOQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hCPzybQZ6C7Y8

I need a laptop for under a $100 that has wifi.

Just bought the W530, switching from a shitty Toshiba Satellite I bought at Staples while drunk. It's a ridiculous improvement. The chiclet keyboard is honestly not all that awful. Sure, you lose a few (mostly legacy) buttons, but I think the travel is better.

>using newer than core2
enjoy your botnet idiot

Holy fuck am I dreaming.

bruh you have 5" phones now with 1440p screens, understandable you use them at a bit less of a distance than you would a laptop but it still matters quite a bit. 1366x768 TN is death and inexcusable. the TN panels they use on business laptops (elitebooks/latitudes/thinkpads) are a bit better than the shitty budget brand ones, also they're matte which is good, but still pretty bad.

hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html

>I don't own a camera because these are actually just tracking devices
you must be are a real expert

>I don't want the government to know where I live
don't you think the government already knows where you live

>or what my penis looks like
I am sure there will be reasons for not showing it

I seriously dont understand the love for think pads on this board. hasn't Lenovo been known to continuously put backdoors via their bloated software on their machines or was it acer?

>Anything higher would require GUI scaling
FullHD on the W520 is perfect

I didn't want to make a new thread, but recently I took my 10.2" screen outside in around freezing temperatures. After a while vertical lines of dead pixels started to appear at the top that flowed downward. I shut down the laptop and brought it back inside and booted it after it was warm and everything is fine. Wondering if anyone else has seen something like that?

LCDs might malfunction at very low temperatures.
The laptop I bought was shipped to me when in was very cold outside(about November), and when I received it and turned it on, there were plenty of weird pixels.
Everything was normal after a few minutes.

AFAIK you can use the *20 keyboard on the T430 and the X230. Not sure about the T530.

Lenovo does that, but most of the people who buy thinkpads use Linux so it doesn't really matter.

DUDE MEMES LMAO

you have a shitty resolution fag

Thinkpads were unaffected by that shit. Only consumer garbage had backdoors.

And Sup Forums buys mostly old thinkpads that due to their old age did not have the backdoors installed

I have a T500 with a 3600 and 4GB RAM and I get GNOME just fine. I'm still going to replace it, preferably with something lower profile.

works good enuf for me.
also higher res will get me lower fps in games

okay so I took a look at thinkpads out of curiosity and came across Thinkpad x1 which is like the highest end I'm guessing most sought after from the *current* offerings. the base MacBook which is similarly priced has

-better CPU
-better GPU
-double the storage
-NVME storage compared to lulz SATA
-higher res display
-P3 wider colour range

what in the ACTUAL FUCK would entire ANYONE to buy the Thinkpad and put linux on it, when they could get the MacBook for the same price and put linux on it?

Of course you can use it on the T530 too, they all use the same keyboard.

There are some keymapping quirks when you do it though, but it can be fixed through software iirc.

>Thinkpad x1 which is like the highest end I'm guessing
You're guessing wrong, X1 is by no means the most high-end Thinkpad. It's a low-powered ultrabook.

so whats the most sought after current model? T460? after you put the 256GB SSD upgrade it becomes the same price as the base macbook and the MacBook still has

-better CPU/GPU
-better display resolution/color range

someone stole my ebay package from my porch with an x200 this week im in mourning

Literally Ak-47 of laptop

I got one for free from my work.

Thing is a tank

U jelly

t420 is built like shit

No one buys new Thinkpads.

The T420/X220 can get you dual core Sandy Bridge i5, 8GB RAM and a 120 to 240GB SSD for under $200 - an amount that won't even get you a decade old Core Duo Macbook

take it back, I'm a navy seal

My T400 has 1440x900. It's perfect for work but the quality is a bit poor. Love the machine in every other way though.