Hello. I need to completely wipe a hard drive and make the data unrecoverable. How would Sup Forums approach this issue...

Hello. I need to completely wipe a hard drive and make the data unrecoverable. How would Sup Forums approach this issue? Also, it must not take 20 hours to do it. It is 1TB 5400 rpm so I know it will take a while, but I just want to know the quickest way.

Install gentoo.

magnets

dban

Daily reminder cat is faster than dd.

boot into a linux live USB and run shred -fvuzn 3 /dev/sdx

Magnets.

do you have a hammer?

>NSA trying to find out the fastest way so they can be even faster

guess i need to mention I still want to be able to use it afterwards.

then why is time an issue?

time spent figuring it out now could be chipping at that week long 37-pass

Acid wash it like Hillary. :^)

Then use shred

Not going to make it unrecoverable unless it's destroyed
I'd recommend thermite

:|

thermite

or a volcano if you have one near by

Nice try stonetear

Killdisk, right? I don't know how long that would take but I think it will make all data unable to be recovered, and still allow you to use it afterwards.

Just format it user :^)

>Not going to make it unrecoverable
Wouldn't writing data over the entire drive make it unrecoverable?

take it apart with a screwdriver and shatter the platters with a hammer.

that's what the government would like you to believe

pour molten aluminum on it then post it on youtube then get 10000000 views then buy a 2 tb hard drive

Unless you are on top 10 wanted I'd say a 1 pass overwrite is enough. To be really sure a US DoD 5220.22-M (8-306./E) 3 passes. Paranoid? Do US DoD 5220.22-M (8-306./E, C & E) 7 passes and then do full disk encryption.

You shillary clinton needing to erase sensitive stuff? Gutmann 35 passes and then obliterate the hard drive in a shredder. Take the dust and throw it into the ocean.

>throw it into the ocean.
No, throw it into the sun it's safer.

Going off this if they really cared long term they should have had encryption from the start so they can 1-pass nuke it without concern.

I think courts now (or have?) seen encrypted drives as evidence and will pressure for it to be decrypted (or themselves die trying). It would explain OP's need of it being quick and still usable otherwise it'd seem like destroyed evidence.

Just a guess though.

What is your threat model ?

You're using loonix right? Boot up some live disc and and then reinstall. (Where /dev/sdX is your hard-drive, typically /dev/sda)

>How would Sup Forums approach this issue?
switch it with another hard drive and stick the original hard drive in a sealed container

Actually after looking at it the program shred that other people are suggesting may be a better idea.

'When in doubt, C4' - Jamie Hyneman

>How would Sup Forums approach this issue
With a bomb

1. Use the debian installer and encrypt the entire disk.
2. Boot a livecd and just run the command:
cat /dev/zero > /dev/sda1
which should be the unencrypted /boot partition. Let this run until it's finished, which shouldn't take too long as /boot should only be ~200-500MB.
3. Now run the same command to the /dev/sda2, which would be the encrypted part. Once you run the command, wait a few seconds and stop it. That would remove the header and the disk is basically random data at this point.

You could also just setup the entire disk as encrypted and format the header, but I only realized that after I typed the above up.

And that's it, you can now format the drive with ext4 and go on with your life.

[SOLVED]
thanks Sup Forums looks like i will be using shred command with only 1 or 2 passes :^)

Use:
# cryptsetup open --type plain /dev/sdXY container --key-file /dev/random

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/container bs=

Faster and just as random

EXPERIMENT Glowing 1000 degree KNIFE VS HARD DRIVE

Drill.

Industrial shredder

Zero out the drive. Shred to pieces not greater than half inch. Burn the pieces at 800 or more degrees for 5 minutes.

thread reported to the authorities. rot in hell you're piece of shit

This

You might still find trace differences which CAN theoretically be filtered out and used to see what you have.

One alternative is full disk encryption because it writes seemingly random 1s and 0s over the whole disk. Might be very difficult to see what was originally there.

Only correct answer

If you're using windows bitlocker the drive and then format it. This is what I do to SSDs I sell on eBay.

don't forget about bad sectors they can't be wiped
just smash the platters if its glass and throw it in the recycle bin if platters are aluminium drill holes then
bend them into as many pieces as possible

a program called blancco claims to able to wipe bad sectors but its paid

bend them with pliers

The only good use bitlocker has.

download ransomware which encrypts your entire computer.