/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Razer™ Peripherals Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Remember: Try not to be rude to people who just want some assistance, but don't tolerate people who won't accept any help.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/64C9nn
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PDDkqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/HfxPvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/YNWwD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/GxNZWX
pcpartpicker.com/product/k4dFf7/asus-motherboard-z170e,
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/DE164_100_Series_Windows_7_Setup_Guide_print.pdf
pcpartpicker.com/list/bdrw7h)
pcpartpicker.com/list/2bZvsJ
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/CXxfrH/corsair-case-cc9011034wled
pcpartpicker.com/list/LWFqNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/6pqQwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/qXky8K
arctic.ac/eu_en/alpine-64-plus.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/2rxtkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/gDhxTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/MDMKnn
youtu.be/aycJRXPRJQQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just got the majority of the parts for my build, but I think I forgot a third package containing the CPU cooler. Should I not bother trying to turn on the computer without it?

Also, where is everyone?

I'm building a pc mostly for gaming, my budget is ~600
What psu/mobo/case do you recommend? Should i change something?

no probably not, iirc the pc will actually throw errors up if you don't have a CPU cooler

forgot the link pcpartpicker.com/list/64C9nn

First PC I'll be building.
Mainly going to be used for emulation/game dev stuff.
Anything I could get cheaper/anything more I need?

Evga 430w or 500 Bronze psu
H110m (any company) or B150
Case entirely depends on how nice you want it to look. Lowest you should spend is 30 imo. Rosewill makes decent budget cases.
If you dont have a z170 you can only use 2133 mhz ram so save a few bucks there.
Matching an i5 6500 with a rx 470 is slightly memey but its not the worst. You wont need to upgrade that cpu for a bit while a i3 6100 wont last long. Honestly just get a 4gb 480 mate its worth the ~40 bucks. Also 155 for an i5 6500 so I assume you bought a tray one with no cpu fan? If so get a fan asap.

Should I install a PSU with the fan facing down or up?

Guys, I need a good case that can fit Corsair's H45 water cooler. You see, the one that I have (Cougar MX300) has too much limitations, and the h45's radiator is quite fat, so it won't fit anywhere.

A case with good top height or that somehow allow me to put the radiator in the back without getting into the PCI-E space.

Send help.

Does anyone have any tips for setting up a drain system for water cooling and overall maintenance on it? I'm trying to do research on it before I get the parts together since I know that I will have to do some kind of maintenance with it, but no one is making it clear enough how to properly flush out the system without doing something wrong.

Any tips for water cooling in general helps a lot too.

last post had ram left over from an old build, sorry.

Someone redpill a newbie on why I should overclock my cpu. What are the pros and cons?

i use some cpu-intensive programs like FL Studio and Dwarf Fortress

this decides if i get a 6600k or a 6500.
i'm leaning toward the 6600k right now for longevity's sake. here's my current build.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HfxPvV

also wondering if this will do well with Das3 at 2560x1080 on high/max settings.

last update before feedback

pcpartpicker.com/list/YNWwD8

pcpartpicker.com/list/GxNZWX

If you wanna overclock, new CPU/RAM/and in the case of a new GPU, PSU as well.

The downside to this is it's 5 bucks over budget.

The upside to it is that the win 7 OS is locked to the motherboard, which you WONT have to buy a new mobo if you were running something that wasnt the Z170 chipset.

So I have this motherboard: pcpartpicker.com/product/k4dFf7/asus-motherboard-z170e, and I want to install Windows 7 on it, but apparently I'm a moron and didn't do my research beforehand. It never occured to me that this mobo and others like it have issues installing Windows 7 from USB (since I didn't bother to get an optical drive with my build), so it seems like my options are the following:

>get an optical drive, install the drivers that are on the included CD and install Win7 with the USB after the face
>do one of the other methods that asus says to do (namely method 3): dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/DE164_100_Series_Windows_7_Setup_Guide_print.pdf
>just say "fuck it" and install Windows 10 or something

Does anyone else have any experience dealing with this?

(My build for reference, I guess: pcpartpicker.com/list/bdrw7h)

pcpartpicker.com/list/2bZvsJ
Rate my build pls.

generic/10
don't take that as it being bad tho

Have a reservoir at the lowest point and an outlet with a tap on it.

Is it safe/normal to use a current ATX PSU in an older Pentium 3 motherboard?

normal? not really, safe, sure
that standard hasn't changed, it's completely compatable unless your psu uses a one-piece 24pin mobo connector (P3 boards are probably all 20pin)

Opinion on this?
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/CXxfrH/corsair-case-cc9011034wled

okay, forward thinkers on this one. current i7 or future i5? nvidia 1080 or future 10xx?

wait 6 months or buy now?

if you're willing to wait six months, wait six months
by then at the very least some stuff will be cheaper and you'll have the full info on everything

If a friend gave me one of those purple glowy Corsair LED fans, should I throw it on my rig even if blatantly unnecessary?

the LED's make it faster, right Sup Forums?

>purple

They won't affect your rig at all. They'll just spin, without creating air. I recommend either red for overclocking, blue for better cooling, or green for increased performance when using Razer products.

Thanks

The i5 6500 was 170 after tax, it does come with fan. So, is this good? pcpartpicker.com/list/LWFqNN
The mobo has 2 system fan connectors but the case comes with 3 fans, would i have to remove a fan?

I forgot to add taxes so thats out of my budget but thank you

I've had my computer for a long time now and paid some guy to build it for me back in the day. Now my power supply fan is making a really fucking annoying grinding noise and I need to fix it.

I've replaced a few parts and upgraded some things before but fucking with the power supply is new to me. The noise was driving me insane so I just said fuck it and popped open the power supply and started to fuck with the fan. I oiled it a bit but couldn't see anything else to do with it so I just put it all back together. The fan stopped grinding for a few days but recently started making the noise again.

Should I just replace the power supply all together or replace the fan? I had a fan lying around but the plug for its cord was 3 pronged at the end and the slot for the fan in my power supply only has 2 prongs. Not sure if I need to order a special fan or what.

Is there a relevant PC part supplier for Australians? I don't want to deal with the hassle of warranty from anything sourced overseas and half the part pickers posted involve parts not available here yet.

>tfw live in Oregon
>tfw no sales tax

You'll give up and install Win 10 in six months anyway.. so I'd say fuck it and do it now.

Down if you have a filter
The fan sucks in air and blows it out the back, if you mount it fan-up it'll inefficiently suck against the gpu's suction

1080ti will be worth waiting for over 1080, 490 might put up some mid-range competition too
Intels CPUs are not changing whatsoever this next generation

pcpartpicker.com/list/6pqQwV
Budget office-tier build.
I know the PSU is a bit over the top, but I don't have any experience with many other brands.
I also don't know a whole lot about picking drives, is R/W speed a possible bottleneck?

On a scale of 1 to OS X how dumb is getting a used processor?

I'm pretty sure it's dumb, but i've seen a couple of bargains that are tempting.

just be cautious of cpus that are overclockable or popular overclocking chips
if it's possible to see the cpu working before buying, do so

im getting redragon kumara and mx master

convince me a better one. wireless mouse is a must

pcpartpicker.com/list/qXky8K

Just built this a couple days ago with the intent to game at 144 FPS, add another card down the line, and to overclock both the card and CPU.

How did I do?

is it worth buying a cheap CPU cooler instead of the box cooler if the CPU isn't overclocked?

Get cheaper RAM/mobo and better CPU. For office you don't need an expensive PSU.

Some fag on craigslist in my area is selling an intel core i7 2600k for $100. I'm more broke than Greece was a while back but I could scavenge that together. Worth it to upgrade from a really shit A10-5800k for that price? What kind of mobo should I get to pair with it? Not gonna be doing any overclocking.

I felt this was more pcbg than sqt

You probably won't see this but DEAR GOD NO.

Its worth not getting a cooler if your not overclocking. You can stick with the stock cooler that comes with a locked CPU if you have no intent of overclocking

wouldn't a better cooler generate a lot less noise?
or would the difference be too small to be worth the money

I more went with this cooler because the way it's shaped doesnt obstruct the memory DIMMS while being pointlessly expensive. Since this was my first ever build I didn't want to deal with researching lengths and worrying about it. And I read it was pretty decent and, using it now, can vouch for it.

nice video game consoles

>amd (old)
>hdd
>no dedicated graphics whatsoever

what could possibly cause an SSD to have a lower read/write speed than expected?
the manafacturer claims the read/write speed is 560 and 530 MB/s
most people report performance not much lower than that, meanwhile mine is about 430 / 380
it's still ridiculously fast for me personally but I'm worried it means the SSD is faulty or something

>no dedicated graphics whatsoever
Maybe he's not a structural engineer or physicist who does fluid simulations

Guys need a cooler thats silent for my phenom II x4 965 for under 15 bucks is that possible?

I saw it. I decided to just wait and not bother installing the MOBO without it.

What do you mean? Just set pcpartpicker to Australia.

Does it matter which brand 480 I get or are they all comparable? 8gb

Also I have ordered this one should I cancel?
arctic.ac/eu_en/alpine-64-plus.html

MSI or Gigabyte are the standards. Any other literal who company and you'll get trouble.

CPUs are the part least likely to have problems, so it should be fairly safe, at least compared to buying other parts used.

>Worth it to upgrade from a really shit A10-5800k for that price?
Depends on if you can get a compatible MOBO for a reasonable price.

Probably a bit of an autistic question, but where do I start if I want to resell parts? Is it easier to sell individual parts, or are there places that take the whole thing? If I can let it go all in one piece, should I leave the Windows installation on it (without personal data of course) or can I take the drives out and just sell the rest?

Getting bitched at to get rid of an entire custom built box I used that isn't too old, but was cheap for a gaming PC at the time.

Get out retard. Gigabyte RX480 have been proven to have an utter garbage PCB. MSI is only viable because it's Twin Frozr HSF design.

1080 Ti when

Is this a solid build for my first PC? I've been autistically researching the internet and youtube for spec advice and building tips and all that. I'm guessing this is a fairly run-of-the-mill build but any advice would be appreciated.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2rxtkT

>that budget
>120 GB SSD
120 GB is barely enough for Windows and 2 or 3 games these days. Go for at least 240GB.

ty

Sapphire Radeon RX 480 NITRO+ 8G OC
vs.
XFX Radeon RX 480 RS 8GB

The XFX is 10 euro cheaper, but I think it's just a modified reference, while the sapphire is a custom PCB.

I'm rolling Sapphire and it's been amazing so far

Can I reasonably expect a good result with hard tubing for water cooling if I have no experience but I take it very carefully and watch and read every tutorial I can find?

>not ryzen
>not vega
please delete yourself from this website

Hey guys how's this gaming build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/gDhxTH

Not sure if I wanna get GTX 1050 or 1060?
Recommendations?

>falling for the AMD meme
Never again.

Enjoy your nvidiot shillworks botnet

pcpartpicker.com/list/MDMKnn

Updated with monitor

>2017
>recommending Advanced Meme Devices

Spend less on mobo
Get a WD blue HDD
Where's the SSD?
Spend less on the case
Do you really need an AIO? Get a decent air cooler instead.
Buy a windows key from key sites that sell them for less than $20

Also why the fuck is your motherboard ITX but the case is a full tower? Get your shit checked.

i7 6700k

No overclocking planned. Stock cooler should be enough, right?
Alternatively, I have an old "Scythe Mine revB" for LGA 775. Apparently there are conversion parts (not sold anymore, but I found some on amazon) to 1366.

So, is a 1366 cooler compatible with 1151?
Found some conflicting information. Some say it should work, others say that the height isn't correct and I'd need washers.

Nevermind, the Scythe page lists it as compatible to 1151.

Still, any intel stock cooler should be enough if I don't plan on OCing, right?

Why's that?

The i7 6700K doesn't come with a stock HSF. The i7 6700 (no K) does include a HSF but is locked and can't be overclocked. If you're never going to overclock and you find it cheaper might as well get the non-K.

Stock coolers work fine at stock clocks but are loud compared to good aftermarket ones.

>might as well get the non-K.
I thought about that, but the K has a bit higher clock speed for only 20€ more. Same for the Motherboard. Originally, I was fine with a B150 chipset, but the Z170 allows for higher RAM speed, which does make a difference for me.
In the end, I would only pay 50€ less if I get a halfway decent B150+6700+ddr4-2133 vs z170+6700K+ddr4-3200.
In the price range of 550-600€, I think that's still acceptable for what I get more.

>The i7 6700K doesn't come with a stock HSF
Yeah, but I can get the stock HSF for less than 10€ (or alternatively the mounting brackets for my old HSF for 6€).

>loud compared to good aftermarket ones
what about the cheaper ones? are they quieter as well or would there be no difference?

Best mouse in 50€ range? I can stretch it a little

I'll be getting a cooler from a local store and the only proper cooler they got is the Corsair where I wanted to get the Cryorig but they don't have it. what can I get instead of Corsair?

The case was a mistake I'm getting the 200R

Moinix Castor, Logitech G whatever costs 50€, Corsair whatever it's called the mouse looks weird anyways, Razer Deathadder, Zowie if they offer something in that range and others...
There is no "best" mouse, the choice is always yours and depend on what you need it for and how you grab your mouse.

>stock Intel cooler
>on i7-6700K
There's a reason unlocked CPUs don't come with a stock cooler, you know?

Because almost everyone only buys K to overclock, which doesn't apply to me?

Anyway, by now I decided to just use my old Scythe Mine revB, which should be sufficient.

Is this a good build?
I need something small that I can put away whenever i want to.

That, and because Intel stock coolers suck and 6700k is a 91w CPU compared to 65W for the non-k SKUs.

Looks good user. Just save your money.

>almost everyone only buys K to overclock, which doesn't apply to me?
Then don't buy an unlocked CPU, maybe? It's stupid to waste money like that, why would you?

Whoops forgot link derp
youtu.be/aycJRXPRJQQ

>buys K to overclock, which doesn't apply to me

>why would you?
see
>the K has a bit higher clock speed for only 20€ more.

Never build a "budget build" for gaming. Sacrificing because you're impatient is a waste of money in the long run. Sure you can play games, but your benchmarks are shit and your pc is going to age like milk.

To be fair, 6700k comes with higher clocks and isn't that much more expensive, so it actually works out to be pretty good price/perf vs. the 6700.

Ok, let me tell you this. First, Z170 does NOT allow you higher RAM clocks natively, you will have to use XMP profiles to OC or even do it manually since there are several issues with RAM OC and Z170.
Second, the 20€ are not worth the money if you don't OC, you are willingly wasting money. Third, the cheapest Z170 mobo will still be at least 20 bucks more expensive than an expensive B150 mobo.
If your build if for gaming only, then this build becomes even more stupid, 6500 should be your choice. If you desperately need HT/Cores, maybe waiting for Zen is the right choice for you.
TL;DR what you do is wasting money and should not be done.

>pretty good price/perf
Not in my book.

Well I need a small pc so that I can put it away in my wall locker at ait

>Not in my book.
10% higher price for 17% higher base clocks isn't worth it?

Thinking about upgrading from my old 680 since I'm starting to lose frames in a lot of things.

With what you see here, what do you think I should replace it with?

Not really wanting to spend more than $200 on the GPU.

First PC I'll be building.
Will mostly be used for emulation and game dev stuff.
Anything I could go for cheaper/more I need?

How'd I do?

RAM for virtualization fyi

Thanks for the long reply.
>Third, the cheapest Z170 mobo will still be at least 20 bucks more expensive than an expensive B150 mobo.
>Second, the 20€ are not worth the money if you don't OC, you are willingly wasting money.
I'm willing to pay 40€ extra for faster ram and higher CPU clock speed. I'm aware that this is the only reason to use 6700K/Z170 over 6700/B150 respectively.
>First, Z170 does NOT allow you higher RAM clocks natively, you will have to use XMP profiles to OC or even do it manually since there are several issues with RAM OC and Z170.
Just so I'm not misunderstanding you here, a Z170 that supports DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2800 / 3200 does not allow me to use DDR4-3200 ram at 3200 unless I overclock?

>If your build if for gaming only
I don't intend to play video games on this at all. PS and Lightroom plus virtualization and some bioinformatics stuff are probably the most resource intensive programs.

>maybe waiting for Zen is the right choice for you.
Worth thinking about. When will that be?