Acer releases ARM-based Windows 10 ultrabook

>Mediatek M8173C quad core processor with 2x ARM Cortex A72 cores @ up to 2.1 GHz, 2x ARM Cortex A53 cores, and a PowerVR GX6250 GPU
>4GB LPDDR3 RAM
>64GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot
>13.3″ touchscreen IPS LED display; 1920×1080 resolution
>1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 3.1 type C port for data, video, and power
>Windows 10

Chromebook with the same spec is also being released.

cnx-software.com/2016/12/29/arm-based-acer-chromebook-r13-is-now-up-for-sale-for-349-and-up-with-chrome-os-or-windows-10/

Other urls found in this thread:

liliputing.com/2016/11/asus-adds-3-new-apollo-lake-laptops.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Awesome. I really want a Fedora laptop with 12+ hour battery life

Microsoft forces ARM Windows hardware to have some crazy locked bootloader for "security."

Chromebook version probably will allow you to install other distro.

The question is how much???

>Microsoft forces ARM Windows hardware to have some crazy locked bootloader for "security."

No they don't. You don't know what you're talking about.

$400 (MSRP) for the Windows 10 version.

Chrome OS version is slightly more expensive.

I checked. $349...

DOA

Aluminum, 4Gb RAM, 1920*1080

Price wise, it's very competitive with high end Chromebooks (none of which are ARM)

This processor won't have the Intel/AMD/NSA backdoor. Definitely buying one for that reason alone

Is Microsoft bringing back windows RT?

They are gonna get soooo many returns on this shit if they sell it in a store.

they've got an emulator for x86 software running on Windows ARM

It can probably install an ARM fedora fine. It just most likely won't have hardware acceleration with Opengl applications. With ARM Chromebooks even though you can install other Linux distros, hardware acceleration usually doesn't work because the GPU part of the CPU's drivers are not open source.

Price wise you can buy a Chromebook for $159. Normies don't give a shit about resolution. This is low tier laptop and in the low tier laptop this is priced very high.

You're crazy if you think arm processors don't have backdoors. And besides youre probably locked to windows 10. And on another note. If they sell 32gb devices they will get returns like crazy. The OS alone with updates will need more than 32gb.

I understand posting these in shitposting/pointless threads, but isn't this an actual "tech discussion" thread?

How terrible is it?

>LPDDR3 RAM
>eMMC
>Windows 10
Forget the trashcan, i would bring this to the dumpster myself.

One thing fucks up and your conputer will turn into shit.
What next, battery is not user replaceable too?

The emulator has not been released. Probably won't be ready till Q3 2017.

>PowerVR
What a waste

eMMC is totally fine for laptop workload

But once it dies you cant replace it.

Just like MacBook Pro.

Why can't they have a ARM CPU with a low-power AMD GPU? It would have almost fully open source drivers.

Any discrete GPU will require larger battery, defeating the whole "lowering the cost by not using Intel" thing.

Integrate the GPU on the soc. Hell I'm 100% certain AMD is capable of doing so.

I think the AM1 platform does that, SOC with R2 radeon or something

macbook pros are known to last longer

I'd buy it and slap a lightweight distro on, easy machine for shitposting

>mediatek

>a ARM CPU with a low-power AMD GPU

That's called Qualcomm Snapdragon (Adreno is anagram of Radeon).

You see, AMD had this retard CEO called Dirk Meyer who sold AMD's emerging smartphone GPU division and related IPs to Qualcomm for less than $200M.

He also had AMD sign agreement with Qualcomm that AMD will not enter smartphone SoC market and compete with Qualcomm in the future.

>Dirk Meyer
Where does this guy live. I'd like to send him some "love" letters.

Seriously what the fuck is this shit.

This was in 2009.

AMD (and Intel) was in internal "smartphone is the future" "no, laptop is still the king" culture war where the latter camp won out at both companies.

Intel fucked itself by not going all in with Atom SoC in 2008~2009, giving burgeoning ARM-based competitors like Qualcomm and Samsung a massive lead time, leading to Atom SoC's downfall this year.

how is that even allowed? doesn't AMD shareholders have a say on those matters?

>Aluminum, 4Gb RAM, 1920*1080
Asus is coming out with better spec'd machines soon that will likely be around the same price point.
liliputing.com/2016/11/asus-adds-3-new-apollo-lake-laptops.html

Unless it comes with an x86 emulator to seamlessly run win32 applications it is DOA.

Normies who buy this will expect it to run programs like any other windows laptop.