Reason I'm not using linux

>just use sudo
>just use yum
>just add repo
>oh wait, you don't have internet access?
>just compile these drivers for a Broadcom network card, after determining the exact model and revision
>it may work
>7 hours later
>windows is preparing files for installation (37%)...
Do any wireless adapters work out of the box with CentOS?

Other urls found in this thread:

spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Usually everything except Broadcom.

>tfw i did a standard debian installation and everything just werks
>the installer only complained about missing non-free firmware for a device that worked either way

So I should just pull the thing out and throw it in the garbage then.

The fuck is with Broadcom drivers that make them so unique and special snowflake nothing supports it?

You're not supposed to install CentOS on a personal computer, it's literally just a server operating system.

getfedora.org

life is hard on mom's wifi

They don't allow non vendors to redistribute their firmware.

Basically Broadcom are fuckwits.

Thank you anime poster. I'm almost done, how many more are you going to post?

linux is as easy as windows, OP is just a nigger brain and probably should go to walmart and buy a tablet

I'm about to. Downloading the image now. I only re-installed windows so I could use a desktop environment for internet connectivity.

I mean, centOS has gnome and kde installation options though. What difference does it make? I just want to use SDL2 and git in development like the other coolkids. Also sick of win10.

Do people still use pci-e adapters or does everyone use a wifi dongle now? Just don't want to spend 50 bucks on some usb bullshit and have to return it the next day because of compatibility.

Atheros and Intel chips seem to be the most widely supported. A PCIe adapter will usually give you the best speeds and reliability.

>buy hardware with mainline linux support
>just werks

i understand it can be a pain when first trying linux, as your hardware was no chosen for its linux support, but it's not very reasonable to blame linux for that, they do the best they can with relatively little manufacturer support

and yea, for wifi hardware, most stuff except for broadcom works ootb, find something you want, google it to see if it's supported without non-free modules/firmware

Locate the .bin .fw or .img firmware file for the device
Format a USB drive to fat16 and copy the file to the root directory
If during installation you are not asked to provide drivers, then copy and paste the file to /lib/firmware directory
Reboot

Not blaming Linux. Just a frustration that this specific card apparently causes. Don't even know how I got it. Just always used it.

Although I think I had a similar problem with an Acer laptop.

This is probably useful advice. I always end up trying to figure out how to download the appropriate file on windows and then successfully deploying it while in Linux.

>Install windows
>no wifi
>graphics stuck at 800x600
>no sound
>no ethernet

how do i make fedora look better? just installed it and i liked xfce, this is more like ubuntu I'm not really feeling it. is there an easy way to change my de?

if you just stopped caring what people thought ubuntu would have solved all of these problems for you until you learned to Google them yourself

This is the right answer. CentOS is garbage unless you're actually practicing and plan to use redhat in the future. And if you ever think you should use redhat, you should probably be using debian instead

If you absolutely must use XCFE, install this

spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/

>I haven't used any windows past XP
drivers are a thing of the past in windows

you just hit update and it gets all your shit for you

it even detected my [spoiler]razer[/spoiler] mouse and downloaded and prompted me to install their thingy to play with the leds and shit

[spoiler]i didn't install it though

OP here. installed fedora.

Just twerks. Still probably going to get a new wireless card though. Fuck broadcom.

>use it for practice
>using debian instead
They use redhat at work so I was directed toward using centos.

>now to figure out this amd-vi page fault bug
And once I get that sorted out, I'll be removing windows from the boot loader completely.

literally everything works except some broadcom

>CentOS
>wireless
top kek

Fedora is literally shit

Why are you telling us? Sup Forums is not the CSR for Linux where you can give feedback.

KYS yourself mate. Windows is your friend.

Everything wireless from MediaTek (previously Ralink) and Intel tends to just work.

Broadcom is a special case where you need to use fw-cutter because they are not about to let you have their binary blob firmware that easily. Yes, I know it is frustrating, I've done it. I know how annoying it is to have to connect that laptop with a cable to get wireless working.

Have you tried not being a faggot, perhaps?
You think im crazy but it might work.

If you use b43, then yes, but I'm pretty sure for some chips wl is an open source alternative to b43

why are you trying to run CentOS as you desktop OS?

install fucking fedora or ubuntu and run centos in a VM or some shit

CentOS is a server distro.

Try out Xubuntu on your machine.

Checked

as you are using CentOS on a desktop system I can assume you are a retard, and linux is not retard friendly, sorry.

yes, fucking everything except realtek shit and broadcom.

get PANDA they are the best freedom supporting and way fucking stronger signal too

i got a linksys dongle, never had to install shit to get it to run on linux (any distro I've tried it on)

windows on the other hand actually requires me to have an ethernet connection or another device to download and transfer the drivers to get the dongle to work

>They use redhat at work so I was directed toward using centos.

If need to learn for work, CentOS is fine. It's not a server-only distro any more than Red Hat. Note the packages available. I ran a CentOS desktop comfily for a couple of years, but switched to Xubuntu for Debian-based convenience and less dependency hassle.

This is Sup Forums, not a Linux forum. Sup Forums is for shitposting and killing time.