Military Tech Jobs?

Is anyone here military fags? I am 19 and working a shitty job making a livable wage but im planning on joining the military so that i can get a job i enjoy and not bust my ass everyday, or at least one of those things and I am wondering if anyone knows what good tech jobs the military has and what i would need to do to qualify as well as what they advertise you'll be doing vs what you really do. Mostly I've just seen cyber security jobs which seems decent but i really would like to do some sort of computer/software engineering since that is what i want to go to school for when i am out.
tldr: what tech jobs/experience does the military have to offer?

>tldr: what tech jobs/experience does the military have to offer?

You have been busy tonight, thanks for the bump

I'm not in the military, but I have family who served. The Navy sounds really comfy for doing technical work. You'll get to work with people in the Airforce too. A lot of less sensitive stuff gets contracted out so you don't necessarily need to join to do that. The military takes good care of their own though.

Yah i really want to join for the GI Bill when i get out. Technically working the job i have now in 4 years i could make more then enough to pay for college but it would never work out that way since admittedly i am not too great at saving. Plus i have always enjoyed challenging myself and i feel like i would have fun in the military as well, but planning for when i get out is first and foremost for me which is why i want to get as much experience/schooling as i can while in. The navy does sound nice but im not so sure about living on a boat if it came to that. I've been hearing the airforce has the most tech jobs.

No problem.

They'll be bigger help then Sup Forums

Ill probably try there, although ill be a newfag on /k/ and wont be able to keep up with any of thier obscure memes

Milfaag here. Im in security platoon, guard shitty military objects without breaking a sweat. Patrol a few times a day arouns the perimeter. The rest of the time you can finger your thinkpad all you want. The shifts are 24h with 3 days off in between.

What branch/job title is this friend. That is more time off then what i have now.

If you're in the Airforce, chances are you'll be on a boat at some point. It kinda depends on where you're stationed. You need to be short and not over weight if thats the direction you want to go.

Airforce reporting in. The hard part with the air force is you don't really get to pick your job where the navy I think they let you choose. I wanted a tech job but I'm colorblind so I put the ones I qualified for down but I didn't get them. Still joined though for the GI bill and experience. I would say try the air force first. Examples would be cyber surety, client systems, cyber systems operation, and programming ( ask the recruiter to take the EDPT test ). If your just looking for 4 years and get out job I think the air force is better because you get a decent amount of credits in tech school towards an associate's at CCAF and 4500 Tuition assistants per year plus your GI bill after. Plus it's prob the easier branch to join as long as you have discipline and professionalism. The physical part isn't too bad in the air force just don't be lazy.

I didn't think they even allowed colorblind people in the airforce.

Im about 5"9 and weigh 140lbs and am in decent shape due to always active and physically demanding job(powerwalking/lifting 12hrs a day 3-5times a week)
Yah i have been worried about that, do you have time outside your duties to pursue schooling? I live in Texas so i should be reeking the benefits when its all said and done really looks like my best option right now. My dad was a seabee in the navy and he defiantly taught me to get shit done and not be lazy, probably the only reason i have a good job right now compared to my friends who all live at home and do nothing.

Yea they do, I got a 90 on my ASVAB but only had like 20 jobs available. Just limits what I can do. They stuck me in an admin job.

I can speak personally for the Navy. The navy has all tech MAINTENANCE jobs. You could take care of servers someone else built or work on very complicated programs that sombody else wrote. Its a good start and you can't argue with TA/GI Bill

Also what should i do with my car/truck? Will i have a need/time for them? I am planning on living on base and saving money. I hear you have to pay for internet on base?

That's cool that they do that. I always wanted to be in the Airforce, but was told I wouldn't be a good fit because of a sun allergy. For whatever reason I sometimes go on sneezing sprees when it gets really bright out.

Doing server maintenance doesn't sound too bad, this would be on a ship?

No matter what branch, you're going to get good training, but you are going to have to put up with a LOT of stuff that isn't directly what you want to do. Everybody cleans, everybody runs drills, and shaving every morning is easy in theory, but 5 years is a lot of mornings.

>
>Yah i have been worried about that, do you have time outside your duties to pursue schooling?

I'm a newbie, I'm currently in tech school learning my job so I have not gotten out in the field yet. It will depend on your job and base but it's almost like working any other job and going to school. Some jobs will work you 12 hour days but maybe only 4 days a week, some will just be a normal 9-5. You have to finish your on the job training and take a test before you can start school really so you maybe starting like a year after you join depending on your job. I feel like you could make time no matter what but if you get lucky and get a slow job you could prob do some of it on your down time too. Sorry for the lack of experience.

It can be on a ship or a shore based hub. Anywhere really. We have servers of some kind everywhere. But it gets really boring.

Did you do backups on x system yet. Shit. Still working on system y. Backups all the time. Everywhere. Oh god, flash back...

You would leave your car at your house until at least tech school. Where I'm at they don't let us drive but most bases do. Most likely you would get it on the way to your first permanent base or if you go overseas they will ship it. For example my first base is close to my home so I'll be moving myself and getting my car on the way to my first base.

Damn can't they automate backups?

The great benefits comes with a price but ill be fine im sure, i am determined to work my ass off so i don't have to anymore, i am ready to slow down and enjoy life when this is over although i am sure i will be enjoying life while in as well.
My job is like that as well, everybody expecting everything to be done when they don't know what is even going on, i just do what i can and hope someone recognizes my hard work.
Ok thank you, i plan on selling my truck and using this years income tax to pay off my little miata

Thanks for all the input guys

Truck is at 200k miles btw or else it would probably be the other way around

I will have to research that test but is there anything i should be weary of when dealing and signing with a recruiter?

anyone know if it's possible to join the military while you're overseas in an allied country? i know it's a stupid question.

Nice miata fag

whats it like joining the air force with a BSc in CS?

do you start as an officer? i was going to join at 18, but i got a good job as a programmer, and backed out because i was stupid enough to be tricked into signing up for combat weather (wtf was i thinking?).

now i wanna go back, but the recruiter was so pissed he said he would blackball me. i don't think he can really do that though.

The worst part about that test is it's hard to study for it's mostly logic oriented. Not too much info on it out there. Just make sure to sleep and eat well and go in with a clear mind. I didn't have any problems with my recruiter lying to me and it was an easy process for me overall. Just make sure you know what your signing and don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand. Make sure to tell the truth if you plan to go in programming because that requires top secret clearance and lying could get you kicked out of that job. I guess the key thing is knowing when you are at the point you can no longer back out and make sure you know everything before taking the final step.

As in expat? Maybe, best asking the recruitment threads on /k/

Thanks fag
Ok thanks for the info ill do what research i can. I wouldn't mind getting vested into it as i feel like it would be rewarding work.

This isn't my area of expertise but no one else is replying so I'll give my brief knowledge on it. Your not guaranteed to be accepted to be an officer it's actually somewhat hard to join since it's rather competitive from what I hear. Though It also depends on the field and I'm sure their are openings in the compsci line of work. I know a recruiter can refuse to work with you but Im pretty sure worst case scenario you just go to another recruiter and start over, at least for something like denying a contract. Like everyone said it may be better to ask on /k/ or even the air force reddit has a good weekly newbie thread to ask questions in. Good luck.

Well most of my questions have been answered thanks guys, ill be talking to a recruiter soon. Best of luck.

I did communications security working mostly with IT. The only thing I needed was a high score on the aptitude tests and some basic fitness. I started in the Army but got moved after a couple of years to a different branch which was chill as fuck. I'd recommend the airforce for a better experience.

is a military office job pretty much like a regular job?

Yah i think ill talk to the airforce recruiter first.

Sorry guys been busy picking this mess up, phone posts sideways but too busy to fix