Mini PCs

Sup Forums I love mini PCs, lets talk about them.
Today I learned about the Dell Studio Hybrid (pic related) its super cute but it came out years ago so the specs are shitty

Other urls found in this thread:

mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f
youtube.com/watch?v=lvwj8Hej0to
zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1070#spec
zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1080-10-year-anniversary-edition
bonanza.com/listings/Intel-Dual-Core-Atom-MCP79-Fanless-Pc-1-6GHz-2-0GB-Ram-750-Gb-Hdd-Cpu-330/404392202?goog_pla=1&gpid=173784728461&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o8&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiAy53DBRCo4en29Zvcla0BEiQAVIDcc80209tj4kWVSE3TbgC1S0Xf7Nkxz3Fz7zbLUChbHRUaAvUq8P8HAQ
mpl.ch/t2600.html
xi3.com/
s.aliexpress.com/EbQnuuyM
dfitech.com/embedded-systems-2/fanless-systems/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f I was thinking about getting one of these for when I upgrade my PC, I could put my i3 in a teeny lil' minibox for my living room. It hooks up to a power brick I could hide behind the entertainment center.

Just grabbed a Chromebox. 150 off Amazon, handles a few windows on two monitors just fine, and puts off way less heat than my desktop.

That thing's beautiful, never knew Dell could into this kind of design.

It came out 8 years ago, it was a dfferent time

>getting a chrome box
>paying 150

you are buying real outdated shit. You are much better off buying one those nuc barebones,and sourcing the parts to be about the same or 30 bucks more for a updated macine

Not terribly worried about it. Won't be doing anything strenuous with it. Got an even more out of date workstation for that.

Look at this shit
youtube.com/watch?v=lvwj8Hej0to
this is the most 00's thing I've seen

come on

dat wood paneling tho. wonder if i could fit some newer tech in there or if its all custom

I tought about that, you may be able to fit a newer boards inside but surely you will have to fight for it

>nuc
Seriously? Go ASRock DeskMini, and don't pay extra for a notebook cpu.

zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1070#spec

This one has discrete GPU with 8gb or RAM. Too bad it doesn't have a desktop CPU, since it has room for fans.

zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1080-10-year-anniversary-edition

???

Yeah, interesting, but the size of the box is getting close to an ordinary tower's.

Actually it's not that big. Bulky compared to other miniPCs/htpcs, but still impressive, considering it has a desktop CPU and dGPU inside.

Mines currently set up home server. I fuckin love this thing.

It costs 1999 bucks on amazon.

do you even the fuck into embedded systems?

bonanza.com/listings/Intel-Dual-Core-Atom-MCP79-Fanless-Pc-1-6GHz-2-0GB-Ram-750-Gb-Hdd-Cpu-330/404392202?goog_pla=1&gpid=173784728461&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o8&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiAy53DBRCo4en29Zvcla0BEiQAVIDcc80209tj4kWVSE3TbgC1S0Xf7Nkxz3Fz7zbLUChbHRUaAvUq8P8HAQ

>Ugly atom box

Ok, it's cheap.

I wonder how many people thought it really projected a screen like that. The ad made no effort specifying it couldn't do that.

you'd be hard pressed finding something that'll fit

they're meant to be attached to the underside of desks or behind equipment.

Yea but srsly even intel sticks don't use atom cpus anymore and they're like 20 times smaller than that thing.

I just don't see the advantage.

advantage of what?

>le atom is garbage meme
You're an idiot.

How's that better than a basic PC on a stick today?

lmfao you're so basic

these are for military-industrial use, in maritime environments, wide-temperature environments, railyway applications, avionics/aerospace etc. there are millions of these kinds of computers in service in the fields of communications, security, automotive, testing, medical, automation. i've used them in extreme-environment logistic systems when i worked for a warehousing company.

muh games though

What's the most I could get out of a mini-pc performance wise? Would I have to just build one?

mpl.ch/t2600.html

They're good since Silvermont but the D525 in that box posted earlier is definitely garbage

it's more than sufficient for the thing's that it is used for with the kind of software that it's running. we're not talking about fucking games.

So then it's competition is chromecast?

you don't lose much in performance at matx, but you're going to have to spend more and put more thought into it than atx

MATX (cases and motherboards) is actually cheaper than ATX a month ago when I made my computer

xi3.com/
the old models run trinity mobile cpus, you could bump it up a little bit with a mall overclock and get some decent performance.

no, you dumbfuck.

you realize that a significant portion of industrial and logistics software still runs on fucking MS-DOS?

you don't seem to realize that they're not 'personal computers' for facebook, youtube, and games. they're used in business and industry.

And you could run anything you could run on a dual core atom on a fucking laptop
Then you wouldn't have to bolt it behind your tv

Comin atcha live from 2017 with sone fresh Mini PC memes senpai

SKYLAKE Core i7 6500U i3 6100U Mini PC Windows 10 Barebone DP Port 3Year Warranty Windows TV Box 4K HD i3 6100 mini pc i5 6200U
s.aliexpress.com/EbQnuuyM
(from AliExpress Android)

>laptop on a coast guard patrol cutter

>laptop on a process floor at a factory

>laptop in a freezer warehouse

>laptop in a steel mill

you should look into automation networking consultory position. you could revolutionize basically every business out there with a vision like yours!

just out of curiosity, what kind of work have you done?

I don't get it
You're showing me a garbage PC just as big as laptop with less power and then justifying it by saying that you need a garbage PC just as big as a laptop with less power so you can put it places. Places that ALL already have laptops in use

Those are all completely normal places to find a laptop
Are you talking about embedded systems? Because that's a long stretch from "mini PC"

> Places that ALL already have laptops in use

oh yeah. tons.

>completely normal places to find a laptop

maybe for like a week, before it breaks.

>garbage

thi

Yeah, I'm right. Posting an unrelated picture of an embedded system where I guarantee there's a laptop out of frame really showed me

That's a nice mini PC
Where can I buy this mini pc?
Can I run mine craft on this mini PC?

I don't think that aircraft runs on a dual core atom mini PC bolted onto the underside

>garbage

pic related: 6,750 dollarsish

*does not run crysis

*mission critical applications ready

Is it a PC

forgot pic drinking

either runs windows 10 or 2000 embedded distro's or a custom red hat linux probably. the dolphins i've used had a stripped down windows 2000 running DOS vm's.

what kind of processor do you think they use? you know your phone has enough compute power to fly dozens of apollo 7 rockets simultaniously? (just not using javascript)

pic related:

System motherboard: WADE-8017 Mini-ITX embedded system board
6th generation Intel® Core™ processor with selection of quad-core or dual-core processor
Dual 260-pin DDR4 UB-DIMM 2133/1866 non-ECC memory up to 32GB
2x 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD, 1x mSATA
1x M.2 socket, 1x full-size Mini PCIe socket
Flexible add-on card expansion options
Innovative PCI/PCIe expansion module easy for installing and replacing add-on cards
Rich I/O good for versatile applications
Rugged design good for applications in harsh environment
Vibration: Operating, 5Grms, 5~500Hz, IEC 60068-2-06
Shock: Operating, 50G, 11msec, IEC 60068-2-27

dfitech.com/embedded-systems-2/fanless-systems/

But does any of this change the fact that pu posted an ugly atom box as a recommendation for a "mini PC" and then defended it on the merits that it's an embedded computer and that nobody needs power on a small device (making a laptop a viable replacement for your "mini PC" you posted)
Or are you implying that the dell op posted (and complained about having low power) was an embedded system?

>ugly

there's that word again...

this frozen dairy product extrusion machine contains an embedded windows 10 computer much like the ones i've been showing you.

it also breaks laptops just by looking at them sideways. laptops should not be in the same room as them.

But op asked for a mini PC with better specs
That's all he fucking asked for
You posted the largest TV-mountable, lowest speed embedded computer you could find, and now you're off saying that embedded systems are great (right? Or what the fuck are you even posting now?)
Op doesn't want an embedded system and he clearly doesn't want your ugly atom box

I miss the old dell aesthetic. This and the inspirons of the late 2000s with the red/purple/blue/black colors were much better than the grey/material shit we have now

We're all aware computers are used in industrial work, but op asked for mini PC's
That's not mini

i don't want to frighten you but this thing regulates 135,000+ gallons of liquid ammonia, mexicans operate it, and it runs on a windows 10 embedded system.

the computer part is mini, it's the size of a textbook behind that touchscreen, in a waterproof, vibration proof, wide temperature tolerance, fanless chassis. mexicans clean it by hosing it down with near-boiling XY12 and water solutions during the sterilization shift.

That's cool and all but nobody asked for a durable PC they asked for a mini PC
To buy
If you wanna post big tech make your own thread, because everybody loves big tech, it's just the opposite of this thread

We know what embedded systems are dude
Nobody asked for them
No need to try and impress us with your knowledge that computers are used in machines

Don't worry user, I get you.

I want a dell studio hybrid with better specs, not a dell studio hybrid that's 400x as big with the same specs

HOW CAN MINI PC'S EVEN COMPETE

EMBEDDED'D.COM

The hardware is usually built to a different standard. Ie, it's going through tons of industrial tests for dust, vibration , etc.

The lack of a fan isn't for noise it's because it's one more thing to break. Same deal with how for a long time CF cards were hot shit in these devices (and many still are)

Lot of this isn't about speed it's straight up they would be happy to use a p2, but no one manufacturers Pentium 2s (or they cost so much that you might as well use a duo core or whatever)

Industrial applications are just pretty ridged and have weird demands that only make sense when you realize that for every hour a system is down thousands and thousands of dollars are lost.

Just shit like DIN mounts are a big deal because it's a no thought process to mount the thing.

It's a hard industry to understand until you get some experience and see the shit show that happens.

They compete by being 1/100 the cost

:}

NUCs made them better but added a asinine price premium.

>mission critical applications ready
>can't run crysis
Choose one.

>chinkshit

No thx.