This year will be the year of functional, lightweight and simple design

This year will be the year of functional, lightweight and simple design.

Bait, but no it won't. If the past 2 years are any indication, OSes will become more and more convoluted under the guise of being "simple" and "user-friendly." It will be bloated trash with a shitty "flat" interface that makes appear to be lightweight to your average everyday office drone.

And, as much as I would love for it to be that way, there is no way in hell development will wander off in that direction next year, or ten years after.

>but no it won't.
i want to believe miracles happen in New Year night :-(

That telemetry will telemetry even more telemetry.

I'm still waiting for Win2K Mk II

MS should just drop all the frills. The ideal OS is little more than a rock-solid foundation for apps to run on and has a near-negligible UI presence.

>lightweight

nah nah, you gotta have that 30 year old legacy code to ensure that all programs work on your unnecessarily massive OS

This is the perfect UI for a desktop operating system.

>the current state of windows in a nutshell

Lol Windows sucks for legacy support, Win7 64bit and anything later won't run pre-Win32 software. I had to install a Linux VM just so I could use Wine to run my old 16-bit legacy programs. Windows is a mess of legacy code, but that doesn't mean it actually supports old software.

>mess of code

holy shit, Ikr.

There's like millions of types of the same things in windows, for example, C++ redistribute.

Not to mention that if you compile a C++ program for linux it's like 4kb. If you complile the same program for windows, it's like 80kb. This is most likely windows compiling the librarys into the program itself to ensure it works on all editions of windows 32

>This is most likely windows compiling the librarys into the program itself to ensure it works on all editions of windows 32
Probably. When you compile C++ for Linux it's usually super incompatible and only works with the exact distro and kernel version that you compiled with.

beOS was so based. I wonder If there is a beOS theme for xfce or something

yep.

>functional, lightweight and simple design.
>2017
stop trippin homie. we live in world where applications are now "delivered" to a browser. you can consider yourself happy when you don't get spinning javascript circles for each click.

>apps
kill yourself

That already happened, in 2000

The only way to make Windows light weight again would be to rewrite the code from scratch. Windows is the ship of Theseus gone horribly wrong.

Hi.

Afaik, Microsoft plans to implement the "modern" context menus throughout all the Windows with the next update of Winblows 10. So much for functional and lightweight, lol.

XP is lightweight enough. It boots 4 times faster and needs two times less RAM than my HEADLESS CentOS server.

I am done with Windows and Microlard in general. If i am really desperate I will get a Chromebook in future. Google docs and other work applications are optimized for cloud and mobile, so they don't need so much computing power.

An ARM based laptop running Linux or ChromeOS is sufficient for the modern wage slave like me. Windows 10 has too many unnecessary features and is actually 3 different operating systems packed into one (windows phone, surface tablet, surface book) to support the failed ecosystem.

>Google docs and other work applications are optimized for cloud and mobile, so they don't need so much computing power.
And they also work like shit.

>Haiku release 2017
I'm fine with it

LibreOffice and Google docs can exchange documents without ruining the formatting. I don't need to pay subscription for Office 365, all my coworkers are also using Google docs now. Life is much easier now.

I'm fine with 7. I'm using it on my new XPS 15 and will probably get a new PC once Skylake-E comes out. These should probably last me 10+ years, enough for me to ditch Windows in favour of Linux. I don't plan in usng anything newer than 7, 8 and 10 are comlete garbage, made for idiots.
I'm not a fan of Chromebooks, the idea of "cloud computing" is bs in my opinion.

They're planning to release something later this month if I'm not mistaken.

If it's going to work on my machine, I'll be shilling it unironically

I fucking wish, user.

the telemetry will telemetry the telemetry

>try to run program
>missing runtime
>have to figure out which one of all the fucking redistributables is missing
>have to figure out if it's the 32bit or 64bit version

"apps" is short for "applications" which is another way to say "programs" and the term has been in usage since at least the 1980s.

get over yourself