Microphone Advice Thread

sup Sup Forums

Planning on picking up a new microphone in the January sales - I've been using a $15 chink shit mic for the last 18 months or so but want to treat myself to a good quality (good enough for Discord and YouTube, at least) condenser mic.

One of my mates is shilling the Snowball hard, as he has one, but I'm positive I could do better for the money.

Any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1173724-REG/samson_c01uprob_c01u_with_headphone_output.html
amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-Broadcasting-Microphone-Adjustable/dp/B01I6LIZ8S/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1483227862&sr=1-2&keywords=nw 800
youtube.com/watch?v=t-pusgDxQKo
amazon.com/Behringer-U-PHORIA-UM2-BEHRINGER/dp/B00EK1OTZC/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you could get a samson c01u for like 10$ more on bhphotovideo.
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1173724-REG/samson_c01uprob_c01u_with_headphone_output.html

BM800+capacitor mod.

if its 15 chink shit hes likely already using a BM800.

OP, mod your BM800 first for the hell of it

also snowballs are meme shit

I'm actually using a cheap headset and not a proper mic. My GF bought me a 'decent' headset for xmas, sound is fantastic but the mic is pretty bad so I've unplugged the mic and am just using the headphones.

Would the BM800 be a decent starting point? I assumed the Snowball was meme shit - same lad has almost all of Razer's catalogue.

The Blue Mics are serviceable mics for the price, assuming you get them on sale and not at the full meme price.

The snowball is nice as a basic quality mic with a decent stand that requires no other supporting hardware like a stand or such, but it has no mute/unmute/hardware button. You can solve this with software, but that's up to you.

If you want to go full audiophile and spend a bit more, there are obvious better options than USB mics.

I use a CAD U37, I got it for $29 on sale.

MXL V67G

pls get a real mic and don't be a usb fag

>pls get a real mic and don't be a usb fag
unless you're doing actual voice work or podcasts or streaming or similar, I just don't see the value here. The average person just needs a mic for skype, in game voice chat, and similar. There is simply no need to go for $50+ mics paired with $50+ audio interfaces.

>unless you're doing actual voice work or podcasts or streaming or similar

you mean people are spending $50+ on mics just to talk to their friends?

I know people with $300+ mic setups who only use skype once or twice a month and rarely talk to people in game, they literally just have good mics because they MIGHT one day use them.

what a waste

For sure, which is why I dont really plan on replacing my $30 CAD U37 unless it breaks.

this is what I have. nothing I could find even came close in terms of quality and overall functionality

amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-Broadcasting-Microphone-Adjustable/dp/B01I6LIZ8S/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1483227862&sr=1-2&keywords=nw 800

>I received this product discounted in exchange for my honest review, but that in no way biases my opinion in one way or the other.

FUCK OFF

I was in the same position as you a month ago, ended getting a snowball in the end even though I put it off at the start because I thought it was a "meme" mic.

There's no really many good cheap USB mics. All the cheap mics you see are usually XLR and so need phantom power or an XLR interface which adds another $20 onto the price.

The only other decent mic I found was the samson gomic, which I believe sounds slightly better and is cheaper but it's meant to be a portable mic and so is really small and flimsy and doesn't mount on a mic stand properly.

In the end I just decided to get a snowball because it seemed well built and had good enough audio quality. Been using it for a month now and very happy.

just bought one two nights ago... iS GOOD?

you need a power supply + a sound card with XLR connector to use that. You'll go well into $150 when you buy all the extra shit.

You're better off buying a USB microphone.

>You'll go well into $150 when you buy all the extra shit.

You can buy a USB audio interface for $50-100.

No need to spend $150+

youtube.com/watch?v=t-pusgDxQKo
Apparently this mic is pretty good for $10 usd

>No need to spend $150+
but you will spend that much. do some fucking math.

$40+50= 150

who knew

amazon.com/Behringer-U-PHORIA-UM2-BEHRINGER/dp/B00EK1OTZC/

wow that's SOOO close to $150, I don't know if I can afford it.

Got mic/stand/popfilter and phantom power for $55 on amazon best quality for the price

I have an AT2020 USB that I like quite a bit.

ordered this yesterday on sale for $80, did i do gud? blue yeti

BM-800 you fucking dingus
slap some solder on it and it's a fucking 150$ mic for 15$

pic related

Good shit.