Video Players for Animu

I tried going to the Wiki and all I've got is that there are like 5 options. I've downloaded and installed mpv but I want to know if there are better options and if not how should I go about configuring mpv for best animu viewing.

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/
mpv.srsfckn.biz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>there are like 5 options
mpv.io/manual/master/

the main thing you should have in your config is
profile=opengl-hq

I have a configuration of 78,314 lines that is optimized for viewing anime. I am willing to sell you it for only $5000.

don't know about best anime config, but this is mine
##################
# video settings #
##################
vo=opengl-hq:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft:dscale=mitchell:tscale=oversample:scale-antiring=0.8:cscale-antiring=0.9:dither-depth=auto:scaler-resizes-only:sigmoid-upscaling:target-prim=bt.709:gamma=0.9338:fancy-downscaling:temporal-dither:pbo:3dlut-size=256x256x256:icc-profile-auto:blend-subtitles:backend=x11:interpolation
video-sync=audio
hwdec=auto-copy
double=yes
priority=abovenormal
audio-channels=stereo
volume-max=150
geometry=50%:50%
autofit-larger=90%x90%
loop-file=inf

##################
# audio settings #
##################
softvol=yes
softvol-max=200
audio-channels=2

##################
# other settings #
##################
title="${path}"
keep-open

#############
# Subtitles #
#############

sub-text-font="Source Sans Pro Semibold"
sub-text-font-size=50
sub-text-margin-y=30
sub-text-color="#FFFFFFFF"
sub-text-border-color="#FF262626"
sub-text-border-size=3.2
sub-text-shadow-offset=1
sub-text-shadow-color="#33000000"
sub-text-spacing=0.5

#############
# OSD Rice #
#############
osd-duration=3500
osd-font="Source Sans Pro Semibold"
osd-font-size=15
osd-color="#ffffffff"
osd-border-color="#ff262626"
osd-border-size=1
osd-shadow-offset=1
osd-shadow-color="#33000000"
osd-scale-by-window=yes
osd-fractions

[extension.webm]
loop-file=inf
[extension.gif]
loop-file=inf
hr-seek=always

what version number are you using? that first line is old syntax.

MPV

what does that line do?

I have vo=opengl:deband
in mine

but I also have a craptop that can't handle some videos

mpv-x86_64-20160826

from mpv.srsfckn.biz/

guess i better update

What should I use to replace that first line then?

It uses higher quality output settings.

is it an equivalent to the one I have?
or do I have to choose between the two?

profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossoft
dscale=mitchell
tscale=oversample
etc...
everything goes on a seperate line so you don't have one long line of code.

no it uses higher quality settings but uses more resources so if you have shitty hardware it's best to leave default settings. And if default settings are still too rich you can use less intesive settings.

hmm..

also,
interpolation on or no?
vo=opengl-hq:interpolation
does it make any difference?

where are you getting these settings from? this old syntax.
and its up to you, some people like certain settings some dont. mess around with it, you can also change it.

I've had those in my config for a year or two now, got it from another user

# Video settings
vo=opengl-hq:interpolation
hwdec=auto

# window
title="${filename}"
geometry=50%:50%
autofit-larger=90%x90%

# Audio settings
softvol=yes
softvol-max=150
volume=90

# Lang Settings
slang=jpn,jp,eng,en
alang=jpn,jp,eng,en

# Subtitle settings
ass-style-override=force
ass-shaper=simple
sub-auto=fuzzy
sub-text-font-size=49
sub-text-color="#FFFFFF"
sub-text-font="Noto Sans"
sub-text-border-size=2.5
sub-text-border-color="#262626"
ass-force-style=Kerning=yes

# OSD settings

# Screenshot settings
screenshot-format=jpg
screenshot-template= C:\Users\Ryan\Pictures\Screenshots\%f_snapshot_%wH.%wM.%wS_[%tY.%tm.%td_%tH.%tM.%tS] #screenshot is set to desktop (change to whatever folder you want, ie C:\screenshot\mpvsnap_%n)
screenshot-jpeg-quality=85

# Miscellaneous settings
priority=abovenormal
keep-open=yes

# Etc
[extension.webm]
loop-file=inf

[extension.jpg]
pause

[extension.png]
pause

[extension.gif]
loop-file=inf

if you have an up-to-date version of mpv start a video from the terminal and it will through out error messages if you have any.
check out github.com/Argon-/mpv-config/blob/master/mpv.conf for examples for your config. You dont use semicolons anymore, everything is on a seperate line. and vo=opengl-hq changed to profile=opengl-hq
for interpolation you add
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation=yes

KCP and ditch this autism simulator

target-prim=bt.709
target-trc=srgb

Should I use these if my monitors are calibrated on monitor level aka without any icc profiles?

>2k+17
>still using spyware os

Also should you specify an icc profile to mpv if your desktop is already aware of it?

no border

that's it

do i really need opengl for 720p resolution?

Is there a reason my mpv doesn't display Edition titles or does mpv just not support it? I have a few 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 mkvs and I KNOW they have a title for each edition (Theatrical, Director's etc.) because they can be seen when using MPC. I can switch through them fine with shift+e but the name isn't displayed.

Depends on whether or not mpv is auto-detecting the profile correctly or not? (icc-profile-auto)

sure, but using an ICC profile would be much better. Also I doubt your monitor is really calibrated to sRGB, so expect black crush issues by doing that

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if X11 is somehow aware of an ICC profile and doing the necessary conversion, why does mpv need to do anything?

>but if X11 is somehow aware of an ICC profile and doing the necessary conversion
that's not how color management works

The fundamental problem is that it's content-dependent. Only mpv knows what the colors of the video are supposed to mean, so only mpv has all the information required to perform the conversion. Also, you want to color manage different parts of the window differently, for example in mpv the video, subtitles and OSD will all have different color spaces.

For a browser, the text and images will have different color spaces too, and so on. If you're mixing multiple content types together, the only reasonable thing is to do the adaptation even before composing a single image (which is what mpv, firefox, safari etc. do)

Also, X11 is so laughably out of date here, forget anything like color management in X11 ever existing. The only OS that even makes a half-hearted attempt at applying global color management (e.g. for un-color-managed applications that are just assumed to be entirely sRGB) is OS X. No idea what wayland does, though

OK thanks that clarify things somewhat. So if I want to get better color reproduction I should profile my monitor and make Firefox and mpv aware of this profile and that would be enough? Considering that I don't use any other visual media application.

>So if I want to get better color reproduction I should profile my monitor and make Firefox and mpv aware of this profile and that would be enough?
Yeah that sounds ideal

For firefox note that you change a few settings to actually get the ICC profile to work, notably

gfx.color_management.display_profile = ""
gfx.color_management.enablev4 = true
gfx.color_management.mode = 1