When are quantum processors coming out? are they going to support x86 architecture? will we need new OS's on these?

when are quantum processors coming out? are they going to support x86 architecture? will we need new OS's on these?

TFW no spare $10,000,000 laying around for my very own D-Wave, unable to quantum shitpost.

I'm pretty sure we're a long way off viable quantum computing to even consider running an OS on one.

>when are quantum processors coming out?
Already out if you believe d-wave is one.
>are they going to support x86 architecture?
Unlikely.
>will we need new OS's on these?
No. These devices will probably be an addon card similar to a graphics card or co-processor.

Maybe as an accelerator card. Something so big that it'll fill a few slots and so hot it'll make AMD stuff seem cold. Plus, terrible power consumption to boot.

They're out. MSRP $10,000,000,000. You interested?

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

no.

user, I...

They're out now. If you want one, you'd better be ready to sell your body and soul.
No comment.
Yes. Your nearest Linux center will help you.

Well OP, Quantum Processors are something you won't need because nothing you do on the computer benefits from them.

>compiling Gentoo on a quantum computer
>it installs successfully and fails to install at the same time

He could take a stab at decrypting the wikileaks insurance files.

>$10,000,000
>$10,000,000,000
so is it 10 million or 10 milliard?

> quantum computing
> x86

You will devote a whole room just to constantly create liquid nitrogen for the computer. Or else you have to keep buying wats of liquid nitrogen to keep the parts that need to be at -180 degrees celcius.

Otherwise you might buy one from a university that have them.

No

They will likely run some mainframe OS like some form of z/OS-like system. I don't think anyone ever want to have such a machine to go to facebook. It will likely be a data center machine always due to the liquid nitrogen cooling alone. (to keep the atoms stable enouh)

I've been reading recently about the idea that there is a limit to complexity that can be entangled to a quantum system and that may be the reason why we can't get quantum processors off the ground.

We are not sure if its true but like all things in the quantum mechanics world it's weird and interesting.

Assuming we get it off the ground my understanding is the types of calculations performed are not really useful for general desktop computing (I could be wrong on this one as ... well they don't really exist yet) .

>They will likely run some mainframe OS like some form of z/OS-like system. I don't think anyone ever want to have such a machine to go to facebook. It will likely be a data center machine always due to the liquid nitrogen cooling alone. (to keep the atoms stable enouh)

Then 50 years later normies will be playing shovelware games on their phones that have quantum processors.

underrated post

>mfw we are living a simulated universe on someone's neo-iphone in the year 2500

>Then 50 years later normies will be playing shovelware games on their phones that have quantum processors.

There already exist Amazon Web Services where you can use cloud processing power to run stuff like games.

>milliard
You mean billion. A one with 10 zeroes after it is ten billion.

A milliard is the correct (iso standard) way of saying billion

you can build the same fucking thing with radio-tubes and a photoceptor

the d-wave isn't even a quantum cpu, just 3d tracing cell. basically a vast meme.

>are they going to support x86 architecture
You want a Honda motor in your Lambo too?

>They will likely run some mainframe OS like some form of z/OS-like system.
IBM's quantum computer runs Linux

>short scale

Quantum computers won't run any OS.

The OS will run on a traditional CPU.
The quantum part will be separate and only used for specific calculations.