Mfw 8gb of ram isn't enough nowadays

>mfw 8gb of ram isn't enough nowadays

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157352
youtube.com/watch?v=7erl9k01C2M
youtube.com/watch?v=tRVUOGUmxJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

8 gigs is plenty

You just have to be using the right operating system.

I need 8GB just for my UTM. My desktop runs 48Gb.

But muh gaymes don't run on loonix

Using 2 on ubuntu right now : ^ )

>8gb of ram isn't enough
I can only imagine the people this applies to are the kinds who have hundreds of tabs open on multiple sessions of chrome or firefox and some stupid shit running in the background or open on another screen.

Then get new games

The one with the less features? The one that is unable to load at boot commonly accessed programs in RAM like Windows and OS X does? The one that takes several seconds to launch Chrome or LibreOffice?

Nah thanks, I'll use an OS that knows that unused RAM = wasted RAM. One made for desktops and not just servers.

Try opening a 1080p60 file on premiere pro on 8Gb. You'll pin the RAM instantly while processing.

It really ain't.

You should have stopped listening to the 16GB RAM meme two years ago like everyone else did.

>tfw fell for the 16 gigs of RAM meme

Not sure what you have going on there user.

>640K is enough for anyone
>8 gigs is plenty
kys

You can still get away with 4Gb, even on Windows 10. 8Gb if fine, 16Gb is very comfy.

>8GiB
Seriously 16GiB is the minimum.
Remember that OS+ OS updates + blotware take 4GiB alone.

Go back to XP.

step up senpai. i have never seen my swap in use. 4gb is enough for animes and shitposting.

64 GiB of RAM is pretty comfy

32 GiB was pretty borderline, glad I got the upgrade

What the fuck are running on that system?

>+ blotware take 4GiB alone.

tfw he doesn't format machines before use

>Everyone needs to only have one window with 1 tab for Internet browsing.
>Everyone needs to only run 1 program at 1 time
People like you need to die.

If you like to torture yourself and wast time its your problem, don't pretend everyone must act equally retarded like you.

He probably has a few thousand tabs open. I have no fucking idea how he managed to dip into swap space, though.

You are to retarded to know that I'm talking about essential programs you need to install and constantly run in the background.

If you are not installing your own OS with the programs you want you need you need to kill yourself.

ZFS

I bet he has a server or VM.
Not everyone is obsessing over limited GAYmen that only require 4GiB.

Never said anyone
I was making the point that it's based around what you use it for. And I never implied it would stay this way. Sure as time goes on everyone will need more RAM for more/new shit.

Wew lad, literally nothing you listed has ever effected me and I'm sure that goes for plenty of users
Your experience ≠ everyone's experience
It's a case by case situation with no one solution.

He opened 2 tabs in chrom.

> (You) (You)
wait, (You)s are back?

>The one with the less features? The one that is unable to load at boot commonly accessed programs in RAM like Windows and OS X does? The one that takes several seconds to launch Chrome or LibreOffice?
can microsoft just go and die already so the pajeets will stop getting paid to shill this crap on Sup Forums?

>pajeets
Will shill for ubuntu after OSX and Windows die.
Only the dead can know peace form the shilling.

what the fuck are you doing with your computer.simulating the matrix?my shitty laptop can run rise of the tomb raider and it only has 4gb ram and a shitty nvidia geforce 820m

>year is 2030
>apple and microsoft both bankrupt
>red hat now dominates the OS market
>pajeets employed to shill their shitty poetteringware on a technology forum for BSD enthusiasts

>reply with muh pajeets because no arguments
>every fucking time
Why are Linux users on this board so technologically impaired?

OH senpai where did you get your motherboard?
I'm a pajeet and all the pajeet shop sell motherboards with a max of 23 GiB of RAM.

>OH senpai where did you get your motherboard?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157352

Can I change RAM on my laptop?

But Newegg is a botnet.

4GB is enough, 8 is more than enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=7erl9k01C2M
I'm both hysterically amused and sad about the human condition.

well I didn't buy from newegg, I'm just linking the product page so you get a price reference

Thanks.
>Server
How is it for every day to day use?
I'm looking for a shitposting machine with video editing and viewing/music primarily.

What on earth did you fuck up to need more than 8 GB all of the sudden?

>Newegg is a botnet.

Wait what?
This is not even possible.
Its a website.
Elaborate on this or stop Spamming your
>Everything I don't like is a botnet
MEME

>How is it for every day to day use?
Buying a multi-CPU machine was a mistake. Never doing it again. NUMA sucks; nothing supports it correctly, auto placement heuristics are a joke; inter-core latencies make it useless for realtime power, so all you're gaining is the ability to do batch jobs well.

Virtually nothing scales to 32 threads anyway, except maybe compiling webkit.

But still, this much power for $70 per CPU, how can a man resist?

Not the person that you replied to, but what sort of complications have you run into with multiple CPUs?

Exactly what I expected from server hardware.
I would never get a multi CPU system.

Shut the fuck up faggot. Only gay Wincuck gaymers need a stupid amount of RAM for muhh gayming. Everything else is reasonable. Go back masturbating to your fake fucking 3D anime shit virgin weeb shit you fucking faggot. Come where I live motherfucker so I can beat your fucking ass you fuckhead spoiled manchild virgin dweeb shit. In the meantime how about you fuck off back to
you stupid fucking cuck.

walking the line here

I wouldn't be surprised if windows XP games run better via wine than on windows 7 and beyond.

Basically what I already explained. NUMA node latency spikes.

For example stuff like ‘mpv’ won't run smoothly because some of the decoder threads will end up being on the wrong node; so inter-node latency spikes when passing the image back and forth will end up causing noticeable stutters while playing the video.

The solution, of course, is to pin everything to a single node, but then you aren't gaining much from your NUMA system.

I originally hoped to be able to decode HEVC in realtime on the CPU, which I can do using all 32 threads (16 is not enough) - but the problem is that half those decoder threads are on the wrong CPU, so it still stutters while trying to get the images into the main rendering thread. Plus, that thread itself will also end up bouncing between cores because linux' numa balancing algorithm fucking sucks.

In theory, the solution would be to pin all memory allocations to a single node, as well as pinning the rendering thread directly to a single core on that node; and then let your 32 decoding threads each consume a single CPU thread - but you can't do that just by wrapping your stuff in numactl, you need to modify the software. (Which I still plan on doing, for mpv)

>Shut the fuck up faggot. Only gay Wincuck gaymers need a stupid amount of RAM for muhh gayming
youtube.com/watch?v=tRVUOGUmxJI
WRONG! Its GAYmers who 24/7 spout
>You don't need more then 4GiB look this game runs great with 4GiB
crap however continue.
>Fight me IRL.
LOL, this is a joke right?
Lets see how many VMs you can run on your 4GiB... you Sup Forumsirgin in denial.

The only bloatware I have is this shit.

>Age of Mythology
how?
maybe you downloaded the chinks

You are a botnet.

Isn't enough for what?

Meet me somewhere motherfucker. I'll fuck your ass up bitch. Pussy ass bitch.

>The only bloatware I have is this shit.
True.
I rest my case.

>You are a botnet.

I ask what he is talking about
He literally responds with
>You are a botnet.

>all you're gaining is the ability to do batch jobs well.
Games still can't into multicore. So what were you expecting? Other than things that take significantly longer than a few seconds aka batch jobs there is no benefit in having more cores. If it weren't for games a thinkpad would probably have enough CPU performance enough for you.

>Games still can't into multicore. So what were you expecting?
I don't play games

You can still shitpost on a computer from the year 2000.

Forgot picture.

Also why upgrade?
the 1GiB is a MEME that needs to die.

>he doesn't use some crappy anidb client that is
>written in delphi
>still in alpha but no longer in development
>excellent file renamer and todo list for animes
It's shit from a technical standpoint but it has taken me hostage and I haven't found an alternative.

I'm using Windows 10 and never run out of RAM.

I just don't have a habit of having 100 Chrome tabs open at one.

>written in delphi
What is wrong with this?
You start to cry if its written in Python.

Delphi is a botnet. That's what's wrong with it.

I like the jury to notice that this troll did not say how much RAM he has.
The only fact is that he never runs out of RAM.

Also
>I'm using Windows 10
Is a obvious sign of trolling.

Forgive me but Sup Forums is Sup Forums-lite and I assumed you were one of them.

I have never owned more that 4GB of RAM.

What the hell are some of you people doing with your computers?

The
>X is a botnet
Retards start to get boring.

I had 1GB till 2014. Now I have 8 and it's much better but you can still shitpost just fine with the 1.

Some people use chrome.
Some people use virtual machines.
Some desktop apps are just browsers that wrap a website and a local server that can take advantage of native APIs.

I still don't know why they can't just simply offer the local server for download.
>no need to redundantly download 50 to 100MB of the same browser data over and over
>no need to launch multiple browser instances (less RAM needed)
It would eliminate all major problems.

>What the hell are some of you people doing with your computers?
Are you using the internet?
I'm talking really using not using like its 1999.

Imagine one monitor with stream/movie monitor 2 with Sup Forums browsing monitor 3 with full monitor browser for image searching.

Have 4 tabs on M2 in everyone another thread of Sup Forums that I'm watching.
On M3 multiple browser windows separated by topic (about 3~4 tabs on one window)
I looks like something like this
Topick:
"Anime face girl" in google

See something that interests you click middle muse to get it in new tab continue scrolling and while you take the best pictures they are getting opened so you don't need to wait a eternity for them to load and look one by one.

After a while control tab to cycle the tabs take images and take the best.

Also if you want to search something while you wait for another shitpost on Sup Forums you can open a new window and search it.

how do you brows the INTERNET?

>If I don't need more than X, then there's no way literally any other person on Earth could possibly need more than that
You should people should go drown yourselves and save us the hassle.

gentoo :^)

What the hell do you have running?

What are you guys running I mean really?

You're only using 6GB there. The rest is cached. That exact workload would work fine with "only" 8GB of RAM.

then get linux instead of loonix
>the one with less features
Explain
>The one that is unable to load at boot commonly accessed programs in RAM like Windows and OS X does?
puppy and lubuntu do this just fine
>The one that takes several seconds to launch Chrome or LibreOffice?
sorry that you have a shitty HDD

>gb
gram bit?
gram barn?

You spend too much time on your computer.
Did you think of going out and caring less about your gaymur permavirgin machine? :^)

>then get linux instead of loonix
loonix is the operating system that uses GNU + linux and other components to deliver the full operating system experience.

linux is only a kernel and useless in itself since loonix already has it.

Maybe you should stop simulating your mom's ass?
It clearly uses 100% of your CPU time.

>mfw 16gb ram on my laptop

I fell for the gaming laptop meme

It cost me 1600 buckerinos

Still better/more powerful then a mac laptop.
And for less money.

I mean, it's pretty powerful, I bought it back in 2014 and it can still run most of the games pretty smoothly

It's still a bad decision at my end though, since it's going to get outdated in like a year or two I think

>more powerful computer
>Gets outdated faster
Explain this.

At worst you have overplayed and will have a great computer for the next 10 years.

You guys are all retarded. As long as you're not a gaymer fag or video editing cuck, 8gb is more than enough.

I frequently have 20+ tabs open in Firefox, a terminal session with 8 or so tabs, sublime text, and two PDFs open in okular. 8gb of ram and this still runs super well.

Stop being faggots and keep your computer organized. There is no need to have more than 50 tabs open for any reason.

Wrong. Windows separates used memory and cache, unlike Linux. Those 10G are running programs.

True.
Dude I have a old XP machine and you can web brows like on the day you got it.

50 tabs and XP jazz on 4 GiB.
So if you are not into hardcore shit stay on a 4GiB machine.
However other people are into hardcore shit and like to brows even when shit JS craps itself with memory leaks in every tab.

Also chrom takes 4GiB for one tab now.
Also consider people are running multiple VMs
So you have 1 4GiB RAM OS in a VM and another OS like this running at the same time.
This is 8GiB for the VMS alone.
Lets say you want to have 3x 4GiB RAM VMS his is 12 GiB for the VMS
And what is left for the main OS?
You do the calculation.
Cheers mate.

Taiga my nigga, not for the mass rename, but definitely for the todo list with anidb or mal.

>DDR

Yea, 8gigs is plenty if you aren't doing shit

I just upgraded to 6GiB last year because 4GiB wasn't quite enough, pretty content now.

I know people that frequently hit more than 8gb but I'm just sat here at 3gb out of 32gb usage

>1GB RAM isn't enough
Well no shit

Windows 10 uses abour 4GiB idle.

It is for me

>tfw fell for the 32gb ram meme