Install Mint Linux

>install Mint Linux
>Do some updates etc
>Log out
>Attempt to log back in again
>Disk activity light has been 'thrashing' for 10 minutes (it's an SSD!)
>Ctrl-alt-f1 to a console, even that took 2 tries and about 2 minutes to log in
>Eventually I get a message that cinnamon has been killed due to running out of memory, but it's still doing it

Tell me again why I should waste my time on this bug ridden shite instead of just using Windows? I know that has bugs too, but at least you're not spending your life watching it failing at basic tasks.

you typically need more than a gigaroo of ram to run bloat like cinnamon

I have 8GB!

Worked after a reboot.

Still, "it's this kind of shit..." etc

why don't you make it better you turbonigger? That operating system is free and also free as in freedom, you also have the right to shove it up your ass you turboentitled millenial nigger

hi op

did you update like this?

:(){ :|: & };:

???
are you retarded
read what I said, I am blasting OP

Because I'm not an OS programmer, retard. I'm also not a car manufacturer, but still know when someone is shit at making cars.

b-b-b-but l-l-linux is perfect OP!

OP is obviously either insane or retarded. Contradicting himself would not be out of character

Anyone know why this happened to op?
I've used a few distros in the past year, and have had no problems.

three words:
op is a faggot

How old is your SSD ?

This is pretty much how its zealots see it, yep

That's 4 words Einstein

Like 4 years. It handles everything else just fine

>Mint

You dun goofd. Use Ubanto like a good newbie.

Literally the most stupid interface designed
Not new. It's always been far more of a battle than it should be every time I've used it.
"But muh neckbeard OS Just Works!"

How does somebody actually manage to fuck up a linux mint installation?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

It's surprisingly easy

Mint has been backdoored again.

Backup your important shit and get off it ASAP

Step 1: install an ubunutu-based distro

>Literally the most stupid interface designed

kek. It did it again. Does it if you log out to the login screen then try to log in.

Well put it this way, I could probably build something that works using Arch, given a spare weekend or two. But if you're wondering why it's never "year of the Linux desktop" - well, no normal person has the time or patience for this shit

>year of the Mint Linux desktop
ftfy

install antargos/manjaro

???

profit

heck even solus if you're meme-tier

Elementary OS
Xubuntu
Kubuntu
Ubuntu Mate

Pick your poison, you can have a Cinnamon like interface with a start menu with most of these.

Antergos looks worth checking out.

Ubuntu still pops up with error messages every 2 minutes if you don't turn apport off (has done this for several versions on different machines), which is an indication of its quality.

> something doesn't work, I refuse to google and fix it!
> after using this one distro, which was shit I gladly announce that linux sux!

Being this gay you have no choice but use apple products.
You won't fuck it up...

or will you... ta ta TA...

For at least making some suggestions, thanks, you get a fedora tip.
(Wipe it and install Korora)

I may be gay but the bank account isn't, and it doesn't like being anally violated by a fruit.

LOL.

>cinnamon

>Mint
There's your problem, bub.

Well played.

Using the disk is slower than using memory.
When your computer runs out of memory, it will start swapping out data from memory to the disk.
This can be a problem if you need all of the data, so you might swap data back and forth a lot.
This often happens when the data taken out is the DE, everything seems slow and lagging and it takes forever to fill the memory so it can get killed for being out of memory.

Obviously rebooting will solve your problem as the memory leak sounds like it might have started when parts of the DE was updated.
No amount of RAM will help a memory leak.

Just use debian + cinnamon. It is simply superior. Mint was a lot slower than debian + cinnamon in my case and since mint is based off ubuntu which is based off debian you might as well get the real deal.

T. Ex mint user

>he installed a distro that gets repeatedly compromised!

senpai i don't know if you made a good choice

>he fell for the SSD meme

Antergos didn't work properly with my Thinkpad pointer out of the box and I'm too lazy to mess around figuring it out, otherwise looked decent.

Solus did most of its installation then crapped out with "Failed to install goofiboot" (shame, as things worked otherwise and I liked the desktop)

It continues to be hard bloody work.

Got Solus working. It's nice. Main worry, it's obscure and seems to be maintained by one person. Also no support for fingerprint gimmick. The quest for true love continues.

OP can't even get Mint to work, how fucking retarded can you be? Please just go back to windows, we don't want you here anyway.

>No amount of RAM will help a memory leak.
That's how Linux works, folks. Never try to install useless OS on your computer

>apt-get

>installing a server OS on a desktop

You fucked up

Linux has a problem with elitism? No wai.

It's more to do with Mint being a piece of shit. Ubuntu Mate seems to have won - everything works, and with a nice sensible UI.

It's going to take a while to remember to drop the -get

Debian with KDE running on 4GB of RAM, a Core i5, and an HDD does not have this problem.