How useful is it to hold onto old technology...

How useful is it to hold onto old technology? Is it even worth while holding onto relics or to even try selling them to collectors? Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UIVqJqfQe2s
ebay.com/itm/150856267064
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you're not using it or planning on using it, sell it.

Hit that with some googone

This, but at a reasonable price to someone who will actually use it. Old computers don't appreciate. They aren't even worth anything 90% of the time. All those expensive "vintage" computers you see online have been listed for years. People just buy shit at the charity shops, clean them up and list them at retarded prices. They only need one rich nostalgic old fuck or dumb hipster to pull the plug on a $500 "Vintage DOS Gaming Machine ***L@@K RaRe!!***" a week or so.

There you can't see it anymore
I'm not sure the Lisa had games for it but hopefully a mac guy may like it.

Those are quite rare and definitely worth preserving or selling to someone who will appreciate them if it isn't your thing. Lisas were expensive as shit and an utter market failure, lots of them were destroyed or rebadged.

There might be a way to stick MacWorks XL on it and just run Macintosh software with it, which is what most of those boxes ended up doing, but there's probably some Lisa software archived somewhere that you could use to make it do something cool.

Either way, that's a fucking immaculate piece and real historical milestone, and it's great that you haven't tossed it. It would be a bitch to ship in one piece though if you decided to part with it, whether it's worth the few hundred or so it would probably command is up to you. It might be fun to try messing with it yourself, it was a pretty high-end piece of kit when it was new.

>aplel

straight in to the trash, it's worthless

A Lisa in box has to be worth like 1-2K easily.

bad post

Daily reminder that your mom donated all of your SNES games to Goodwill.

Yes but wait few more decades then you will make bank

Joke's on you, I never had a SNES.

My mom owns an snes she bought when it was new
Makes me feel young

I figure I'll see if I can get it fully operational first. I'm not sure if it needs the external hard drive or not. But I'm sure it will be a fun hobby for a couple months. Worse comes to worse I just store it until it sells or I blow it for fun.

Shouldn't need one, the 3.5" floppy disk models all shipped with internal 10 MB hard drives. Should be able to hear it spin up pretty much right off the bat, looks like it was taken good care of so I'd assume the drive's probably still good.

What software did it come with? There seems to be a lot of shit in that binder.

If you're not dealing with such things regularly, don't start messing with it, you're going to fuck it up and lose out on a couple of grand.

Old tech was build to last, new tech is built to fail.
Planned obsolescence is real.
LCD monitors? Manufacturers use the cheapest chink knockoff capacitors that eventually blow up, preventing the monitor from working.
CRT monitors? The ones that weren't literally thrown out and haven't suffered a power surge are still working almost as good as new.
Audio equipment like amplifiers and speakers has barely had any improvement since like 80s.

It's a Lisa, not a III, a little bit of casual use isn't going to do shit and he's got all of the software needed to re-install the OS if needed anyway.

A modded old xbox can be a great server or media center.
youtube.com/watch?v=UIVqJqfQe2s

If it has been in storage, turning it on without a recap or turning it on at least by feeding it power slowly, you're just going to blow it. Smartass.

Learn how they where constructed or sell them.

when another retro thread pops up, make a youtube livestream and first start showing it off, then slowly doing shit to it and in the end just wreck it

it will be worth the butthurt that will emerge from that, the luddites will be blown out from here for good

>luddites
Refusing to replace good and working old technology with new technology that is intentionally flawed, designed to fail on its own the moment warranty period ends that at the same doesn't not bring anything new that would justify the cost it would take to "upgrade" is being a luddite?

>being this new
you really don't know what luddite means here? thank god you can consider yourself lucky never having to deal with retrofags before

Kek, I bet he would make lots more with google ad revenue than the thing is actually worth

There are copies of "office system 3.1" and other things like calculator.
It turns on fine, there is a slight issue with getting floppies to read but I asked the original owner and it's always been a little hit and miss.
Honestly I'm considering it.

Personally I would say stop fucking around with it, box it up in current condition, and list that fucker on eBay (after taking a lot of photos, that is, like the ones you already took but showing it working).

The longer you fuck with the better the chance it'll die and stop working which will seriously hamper the potential price you can get for that thing.

No idea where you might have found it but miracles happen sometimes, now take advantage of it and sell it, fast.

kek

It's hes property, why are you so fucking butthurt? If he want's to destroy it, sure, he can, why do you care? It's not yours.

It depends if you still are going to use it. It is nice to have some older Computers for retrogaming. Also some of the older Macintosh Software is still very usable.

>retrogaming
Wut, Lisa sure was a great gayming machine

>Also some of the older Macintosh Software is still very usable.
Kek, what, would you do any work on it? It's hard to get shit on or off it and there are way better alternatives, why would you... just...

>destroying hardware for fun
k

As a hobby, it is fine. Do whatever you want.

As an investment, it is a waste of time. What would make an obsolete piece of technology valuable today outside of nostalgia factor?

>private collectors and museums would easily pay a few grand of it
>meh, it has no value
kek

>private collectors
If you can find them that is. Even then, they won't want to deal with someone that knows the actual value. They will look for the grandma, druggie, or retarded boomer who wants fast cash and make a garage sale offer of fitty bux.
>and museums would easily pay a few grand of it
????
Museums serious about collecting this stuff already bought it retail and have it in a cold storage facility somewhere.

This doesn't account for what a person has to pay in storage for the item(s).

>Even then, they won't want to deal with someone that knows the actual value. They will look for the grandma, druggie, or retarded boomer who wants fast cash and make a garage sale offer of fitty bux.
It's a Lisa you dipshit, your "muh retro" faggot won't even buy it or be able to afford it and he knows it, only the "collecting shit behind glass" kind will

>Museums serious about collecting this stuff already bought it retail and have it in a cold storage facility somewhere.
Again, it's a Lisa you dipshit, there aren't even that many for all the museums to own

>If you can find them that is
easy, just put it on ebay

ebay.com/itm/150856267064

iDiots will buy anything with an Apple logo for large sums of money.

Most mactoddlers don't even know what it is

KEK, like they will care about old shit, they buy a new product every time Apple tells them to

Yup, retarded "private collectors" will pay out the ass for it even if it doesn't work.

Go full boomer and inherit some /o/ craigslist shit.

>I KNOW WHAT I HAVE!!!!!!!!
>NO LOWBALLERS
>JUST TESTING THE WATERS, DON'T WANT TO SELL
>NO TIRE KICKERS... I MEAN PLASTIC KICKERS
>MAKE SURE WHEN YOU POST IT ONLINE... YOU END EVERY PAUSE... WITH ELLIPSES... LIKE THIS...

Make sure you keep repeating "muh 10k" or whatever sum, because you heard about a guy hearing about a story this one time where someone got 10k for the same thing. make sure you get other losers in on it nodding their head insisting it has value. Remember, insurance companies and estimators don't know what the fuck they're talking about, you're going to retire off this baby, or at least you think you will after repeating it for a few decades.

Just Ebay the motherfucker. Not hard, get money.

Atleast I have more perspective and knowledge with what I have on my hands. I have a lot more to deal with than just the Lisa, so I will probably find a nice dry spot for it to sit in storage until I decide to have fun with it or find someone willing to part with a chunk of cash.

Pretty much now is as good of a time as ever, they won't go much more expensive because the ones that exist are already in good hands.

Please mash it! I soooo want to see it, I can imagine the luddite butthurt just thinking about it.

>written on the box
>whats in it?!