Why is Kodi so based? Is it, dare I say it, one of the coolest and best executed open source projects ever?

Why is Kodi so based? Is it, dare I say it, one of the coolest and best executed open source projects ever?

Because:
- one of its main goals is to be cool,
- it has a small set of functionality, so it's easier to make all of them great (compared to a full desktop environment).

It literally runs circles around any proprietary media center solution I have ever seen. My parents have a (((smart))) tv and it's so incredibly shit that I had to cry when they asked me to configure it.

>Kodi
>based
no. clusterfuck for old people

It's often sold with shady android devices and preloaded with pirate streams, so yeah, I guess it's nice.

Do you have an alternative to recommend ?

netflix

Its actually the complete opposite of a clusterfuck if you're not a moron. Old people are the only ones who have trouble with this shit. You literally just search whatever you want and watch it, even stuff in theatres

no sports, no new releases, lots of people live in countries with stripped down, shitty netflix. sorry but you're just completely wrong. If you weren't completely braindead you would have said XBMC and I would have just let it pass, but you went full retard

It is. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it's inner workings to feel completely secure about it's security practices. Aside from that,
Kodi on Android is possibly the best app ever made.

>no sports
>calling others retarded
Take a look in the mirror gramps.

Honest question. What exactly are you afraid of? Botnet computation in the background? Or tracking and selling info? I'm planning to install it on a RPi3, and use it as a media center with OSMC or OpenELEC (I haven't decided it yet).

you cant watch live sports on netflix

>piracy

>watchnig negros crashing into one another
?2017

i'm just now looking into kodi. where can i learn more about this shit.

seems harder than usual to find things related to the piracy side of kodi

> I don't know enough about it's inner workings to feel completely secure about it's security practices.
Internally it is a clusterfuck. They seem to aggregate tons of third party libraries and rarely if ever update them when security patches come out.

What is it?

An app with repos for content already online or something?

I don't watch TV or sports, so I have no idea about this shit.

Does it have books? If so, that would be of interest.

Start with installing Exodus. Google it. You'll learn how using repos work on Kodi.

Otherwise, search on /r/addons4kodi.

I have a Firestick without Kodi.

If there's anything I wanna watch I torrent it in high quality and add it to my Plex server.

Is there any reason to use Kodi?

Plex is soo much better
pair it with Sonarr (less convenient now that KAT is kill) and you cant go wrong

>Sonarr
>Not Sickrage
What the fuck are you doing?

>Is there any reason to use Kodi?

No. Not unless you wanna add badly organized repos with shit quality streaming. I honestly don't understand why Kodi exists.

Sickrage was garbage when i setup my server.
Looks a lot better now

>Sickrage
>not Sonarr

No matter how much you customise it and no matter how many themes you try out, it always looks so damn cheap and tacky.

i have a dedicated PC for this entirely (runnning from an Ubuntu LTS) its flawless,why people pay subscription for tv is beyond me!

why not LibreELEC?

I still dont know how to into livetv via kodi.

All the channel lists I try get taken down the next day

>What exactly are you afraid of? Botnet computation in the background?
Malware in general. I don't know how any of the addons work or what they are doing when they update.Considering the sources of some of the media these addons use, I don't think I'm being especially irrational.

Those were my observations as well (in terms of the addons or sources). Kodi is almost an operating system in itself, so I really didn't want to pretend to know how it handles this clusterfuck, while remaining entirely stable.

Emby is alright but no Kodi

>Run exodus addon
>Want to watch movie
>Fucking torba links always at the top
>Decide fuck it, tap one and instead of being asked to go to a malware site to pair my phone, it plays a video saying the movie will start in 15 seconds
>Kodi just shuts down without a message or error
>Wake up to $500 of purchases on my Amazon account shipped to russia.

I don't keep my apps signed in anymore

I wish one feature they would implement is a download file. So you click a movie to watch, it asks the server for the file, so server disk spins up, the film starts streaming, but also the full film copies to the player device. Once film is on device, the server can spin its disks down again, and the film can continue playing on the device

You can actually do that by changing some of the network settings

plex is a fair competitor but it weirds me out for some reason

I feel like I'm one of the few people who just uses Kodi as a standard media center

I love using kiss cartoon on kodi. I've even figured out playback/auto play so I could stream entire seasons of shows. Even exodus is great and anything I add on IMDb immediately goes to my collection.

It doesn't nessicarly replace Netflix but completely shits on Netflix as far as GUI and features. I honestly hate the every 3 episodes are you still watching that notification. Also it's impossible to find anything good on Netflix. I wish it had the same finding something to watch system kodi has. If Netflix let you watch programs based on box office,rotten potatoes,and IMDb ratings it would be so much better.

>coolest and best executed open source projects ever
That's Blender.

Netflix is really bad even in the states. I think when they started pushing there shitty original content I think it signaled the end. I still use it to find stuff to watch but no kodi is the future of tv entertainment.

>things that never happened

Kodi isn't signed into anything since it isn't connected to your account. You installed kodi via es file explorer.

Kiss cartoon/anime. It's also just good to find something to watch.

You're not special. Kodi (formerly XBMC) didn't have all these shitty piracy addons for most of its life.

Why would anyone want to watch YIFY-tier (and literally YIFY) rips streamed from trash HTTP sites?

The only people who use it for piracy addons are retards who buy preloaded android garbage and can't tell the difference between Kodi and the addons themselves.

The only decent ones are exodus,kiss cartoon,kissanime, and Funnier Moments. The rest are trash.

Mah nigga

Plex is ugly as fuck. Poor modding. Shit skins.
The only acceptable reason of using Plex is you use it only for transcoding.

How much did that box cost use? I only use kodi for streaming since I'm using a firestick. When I get a pi 3 I'm definitely gonna try using it as a local media center.

yeah lad, plex is trash

Sauce on the pic?

Anyone use Kodi for their Chinese cartoons? How about an anime add-on that isn't trash?

I got case for free since it was being thrown away. Gutted the old system and it's been rock solid for years.

I'm probably going to go for either sometthing from Fractal, Silverstone, or Lian-Li.

Are you streaming your chinese cartoons?
>streaming

Just download them, senpai