/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

niceme.me
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>mfw there are freetards in this very thread using google botnet captcha to post on a closed source proprietary software imageboard

reposting in the new thread cause I'm still pretty fucking chuffed with myself

ok managed to find a solution or "hack" (if I'm using that term correctly) to get yanking to system clipboard working on fedora since fedora doesn't have vim-gnome and I didn't want to recompile what I did was added

set clipboard=unnamed
set clipboard+=unnamedplus

to vimrc

so yanking goes to system clipboard by default, but I still had -clipboard in vim so I installed gvim then made the alias vim = gvim -v in my bashrc

then I can just do
shift+v, highlight the lines I want then just hit y and I'm golden - not gunna lie feeling pretty cocky right now

omg im a meme

niceme.me

But Linux will always be Linux and not BULLSHIT/Linux.

How do I prevent the malware in a compromised USB plugnplay driver from infecting my gentoo machine

Is there a way to find things with grep and then print the information that comes after that regex term? Say I have a file that's something like
[STRING] [TEXT1]
[STRING] [TEXT2]
[STRING] [TEXT3]
and so on. I want to grab everything after "[STRING] " but not "[STRING] " itself.

>no one can believe
t. Saiya

>not using proprietary software
>using """""""libre""""""" crapware
>not knowing the feeling of actually getting shit done
How can anybody be this delusional?

Why do your morals and ethics mean so little?

Yes -A and -B. Check the manpage.

you are already running malware. i believe gentoo uses both gnu and linux

That just prints lines after the term. I want it to print the line it finds [STRING] in, but remove [STRING] from the printed line. Like this:
$ grep [some option] [STRING] file
[TEXT1]
[TEXT2]

perl -nle 'm/.*\[(.*)\].*/ and print $1'

oops read your request wrong
perl -nle 'm/.*\[.*\](.*)/ and print $1'

holy shit, how did you make that your tripcode is a word??? it looks fucking cool!

one more question: what is the meaning of that chinese (?) word?

I don't want to use perl.

I'm also interested. Looks pretty 1337.

grep -Po '(?

Additionally:
grep -Po '(?

If I want to add a keyboard shortcut to KDE to push a window to another workspace, where should I be looking within the Shortcuts Settings page?

For the life of me I can't find anything in it which is a good lead. I also checked Workspace Settings, Activity Settings, and Virtual Desktop Settings, in case it's in one of those. I know I can click the top-left icon to move it, but a keyboard shortcut will obviously be faster.

In case KDE can't make it up, try wmctrl + xdotool.

I'll check these out if KDE can't do it on its own, thanks.

I feel like there's gotta be something I'm missing. I know KDE likes to push activities over workspaces, but I'd be rather disappointed if they actually managed to forget something so simple because of it.

Is there any good argument for why I should or shouldn't use the LTS versions for Ubuntu?

Is it possible to enable custom stylesheets in Stylish for Firefox programmatically, say from a bash script?
I tried toggling the value in the "enabled" column in stylish.sqlite but that didn't seem to be enough.

Why is it that when I press the 'Caps Lock Key' on my laptop (new razar blade laptop) it freezes the screen and distorts it?

>OS ubuntu latest version

Trying out Xubuntu now. On regular Ubuntu, all I have to do is right click a folder and there is a "Share this Folder" option.

Is there an easy way to get that back for Xubuntu? I tried downloading Nautilus and launching that, but it's not there.

I found a command that works, but I liked the way it changed the appearance of the folder, etc

Try out dolphin, i think it has this

Scratch that. Found "nautilus-share", I didn't search well at all the first time. This is good enough.

I switched to Xubuntu to try out XFCE...but my CPU usage is even higher now for file transfers.

>ntfs
>smbd
Maybe try not using some shitty fuse ntfs or Windows sharing garbage.

Switch to something like ext4 and nfs and you won't have this problem.

I have fell for the OpenSUSE meme

:/

I
I need this shared drive to be accessible from Windows though also, so aren't I stuck with NTFS?

good, now fall for the reddit meme since that is where you truly belong if you think "meme" means what it "means"

I fall for that meme everyday

well done, now stop falling for the Sup Forums meme and you're all set

Anyone else have issues with NetworkManager dropping connections, not showing possible connections, and all around being slow?

I posted in the last thread, didn't notice everyone left for this one

I'm having trouble getting mpd to read my usb based external hdd

Yeah, use based proprietary software instead of "free" garbage next time.

Like what?

Literally anything that is proprietary will be better.

Wicd it is

I believe that is open source trash as well

I can't read the source code so it might as well be proprietary heh heh

But it'll still be extremely low quality like all "free" trash is by definition

How do I use something like wget to download all of the images in a Sup Forums thread?

I found this command that might work, but there is no explanation to it

curl -s $1 | grep -o -i '

Instead of grepping+seding HTML like a moron you could also use the JSON API and something like ‘jq’

just use the option to download every link from a page then delete anything that's not jpg, png, gif and webm

but downloading the whole html page wastes slightly more bandwidth and makes the site slightly more expensive for that japanese turd who owns it

Going to install Linux today over my W10. Any last things I should know?

Right now I have 4x4tb in mdadm raid10 which is backed up onto 3x3tb lvm spanned volume.

I'm wanting to gain some extra storage and was thinking of converting the raid10 into a raid5 and buy an additional 3tb drive to expand the lvm volume. Does this make sense?

I'm essentially not bothered about redundancy but if I pooled the 4x4tb drives i wouldn't have enough storage to back it all up.

Is raid5 using mdadm still okay or is lvm better?

alias Sup Forums-dl='wget -e robots=off -rHDis.Sup Forums.org -nc -nd -nv -ERs.jpg,html'

GNU/Linux*

The name GNU is ugly and Stallman is an autist who hasn't coded in years.

wtf I hate gnu now

Linux will always be Linux and not BULLSHIT/Linux. That kike RMS is just trying to steal credit from some white man who labored for years over his project and made it.

wtf I hate rms now

What file needs to be edited to change username and hostname on Android? Using Termux

This is why no one takes Linux seriously.

Shitposting retard

The hostname file located in /etc

thanks

Yeah, expect all the companies which are actively contributing to it while h*rd still doesn't have basic sound support lmao

So, Linus named Linux. So why is this fat commie trying to steal Linus' success away from him by trying to rename something that Linus created?

is there a way to de-gnu my arch install?

anyone?

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root $GNU/

>arch
Linux is cuckold communist trash. BSD is not cucked and is pro white and not controlled by kikes.

wtf I hate linux now

Sometimes the truth is hard to understand. It's promoted by a literal autist communist sociopath faglord.

>empty variable
Oh you. Neat.

That's how steam for linux accidently wiped their users home directories a while back. github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671

tl;dr
rm -rf "$STEAMROOT/"*

>steam for linux accidently wiped
No "accident".

Yeah, it was made for Linux after all and it can't support proper software yet. Maybe in 10 years it'll be even slightly different...

>grep -P
again, i do not want to, and cannot use, perl. i need to do it with normal regex and possibly other commands.

are you stupid
you're stupid

>are you stupid
the version of grep i'm using doesn't support -P flags and i'm unwilling to change it.

And why is that?

It's perl syntax, not perl.
$ gawk '{ print $2 }'

lmao
this just shows how much of a joke linux is. nobody takes it seriously and can't be bothered to perform even basic tests

The problem isn't kernel related.

really? how do files get deleted without the kernel's involvement? you really should fuck off back to plebbit with such tech illiteracy.

The result isn't the problem.

Could shitposters please leave this thread alone? Go troll some speccy threads instead.

>implying gnu isn't even more of a joke
kek

VPS design question.
On my Debian VPS should I use lxc containers to separate Nginx lemp stack and other services, if so, is there a lxc wiki that I can follow? I've never used containers but it seems to be the future.

also for web facing servers is openssh with private key white listed, fail2ban and otp secure enough, or should I set up another layer of security? Eg. Jump server

>leave this thread alone?
i think you meant "sub" there buddy

>MoPed
do I need to know you? are you an oldfag?

or what?

really? so the kernel is not involved in producing that result?

>gawk '{ print $2 }'

You don't need to know me, but advice would be greatly appreciated. I am considering placing a pfsence in front of my lemp stack, but is this really necessary?

Not him, but I want to know you. I can help out if you tell me some of your favorite anime

what the fuck is efi and how to deal with it?

a linux installer crashes at the end because it can't write it

sorry, i meant print from the second field until the end of the line. so something like
grep [STRING] file | gawk '{ print $2-END }'
would work if such a thing exist.

linux doesn't work with efi motherboards most of the time, seems like you're out of luck. just install windows or something. It's better anyway

Well, I never watched any, but enjoyed spirited away. Am I to much of a Normy for Sup Forums?

I had linux running on it it's just this new installer that crashes.