/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last thread: Try to avoid making useless replies, people tend to ignore posts that look answered.

So what should a vertex shader and projection matrix in matrix-based 3D rendering look like if made by someone competent?
i.e. only one matrix is used inside the vertex shader, and the projection matrix actually works if the matrices multiply correctly.
Everyone seems to use a different projection matrix and vertex shader to me, and I think the problem with my rendering is with the vertex shader, since it's somewhat unusual:
in vec3 vertexPosition;
uniform mat4 matrix;

void main() {
vec4 position = matrix * vec4(vertexPosition, 1.0);
gl_Position = vec4(position.xy/position.w, position.z, 1.0);
}

It renders mostly correctly, but it acts weirdly as objects go off the edge of the screen, and also sometimes layers things wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mmowbray/vs-modern-opengl
github.com/sshambar/nmutils,
microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/irc-explorer/9wzdncrdkmgz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just upgraded from a GigaByte GeForce gtx 760, to a EVGA Geforce gtx 1070 and I unistalled and reinstalled all of the right drivers but the 1070 still performs very bad. I tried a bunch of troubleshoots to see if that would solve it but it didn't. Can anyone think of what's going wrong?

What's wrong with using VLC to watch anime? Why is mpv or mpc-hc better?

No. VLC is fine. mpc-hc is for autistic fucks who love to tweak stupid things.

VLC used to have problems. Maybe they still do. But this was years ago. I can't even remember what they were desu. I think it was tearing and the audio options were underdeveloped.

Bought a D-Link N600 wifi adaptor for my windows 10 desktop.
I used the install wizard and it gave me the option to connect to a network
I went to connect to a network and it dropped. My PC is behaving as though the device is not installed - i.e it doesn't give me the option to connect to a wireless network - it just tells me there is no ethernet cable connected.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting, trying different USB ports - doesn't change anything
Any advice?

My desktop doesn't have an available audio output anymore, is there a way to use my iPhone as a DAC?

Ok, I just went into devices and the adaptor has an error (code 31) - device is not working because windows cannot load drivers for this device - an object ID was not found in the file
Any ideas?

I want to create a secure container/archive/single file whatever that can be viewed as a normal directory on my PC after decryption and backed up as a single file on some NSA cloud.
Can VeraCrypt do this? Any other good alternatives?

Okay, thanks.

Whats the hype with DDR4?

When has standard RAM ever been a chokepoint? You can overclock DDR3 at 2400MH with the correct timings, and a quad-memory cell isn't going to set any kind of new benchmarks in gaming or performance.

Also, whats the hype with Intels 6k series? a 6 core processor that runs at 3 GH sounds slow as fuck.

In modern OpenGL where you handle all the transformations, you typically pass the C-T-M to the vertex shader as uniforms.

Then the final gl_Position = CTM * vec4(vertPos,1);

check out this simple example

github.com/mmowbray/vs-modern-opengl

hope that helps!

Ok, I've downloaded drivers using my laptop - now the error code is gone
I'm still not picking up any wireless connections however
I'm totally lost at this point.

idk, nobody cares much and DDR4 isnt that fast or needed for anything
i dont know where you've seen that "hype"

Mostly for Intel CPU's and the new Zen processors. I'm not sure what they are expecting.

I also don't get why having a 14nm scale FinFet is better than 28nm if its running at the same clockspeed...

Read what you're responding to carefully.
I know that's what's typically done, but I regard it as incompetent, inefficient code.

Ok Sup Forums I'm looking to setup a decent performance monitor on my second screen. What tools are the most visually appealing for monitoring hardware, network usage, stuff like that? Any recommendations would be great. I have a sinking feeling this is going to lead to me ricing my desktop but I hope it won't go that far. Running Window, I know, I know.

void delete_last(node_t *head) {

node_t *current;
current = head;

while(current->next->next != NULL){

current = current->next;

}

node_t *temp;
temp = current;

free(current->next);

temp->next = NULL;

}

is this acceptable code to delete the last item of a linked list or is it too clumsy?

The solution was Airfoil. Now I don't have to buy a DAC, my phone should suffice for now.

My computer keeps crashing and displaying pic related before shutting down. What does it mean?

In dire need of help.

Recently I was playing with my waifu and she destroyed my frenulum. I bled profusely until it stopped abruptly.

Upon examining my now mutant penis I realised there was a bit of red skin (part of the frenulum that attaches to the underside of your cock) hanging from my foreskin. It still hurts a little when we have sex. This happened 2 nights ago.

Would a doctor be able to reattach it in 2 weeks time? What are the cons of this?

still not having any luck with installing ubuntu
bios sees my SSD but the ubuntu usb installer doesnt
it did see it before but the install fucked up and i formatted the drive

Looks like I'm a faggot, but learnt my lessons to store backup configs in a clean folder, but here's what happened
>realise my nginx version was from like 2015
>apt-get install nginx to update
>all my configs, settings, etc are gone
All I want is my fucking server block from /etc/nginx/sites-available/default back desu senpai

Straight forward way to assign an IPv6 prefix to an interface in NetworkManager?

Found github.com/sshambar/nmutils, but seems kinda hacky.

Videocard hardware failure possibly

Will my 4690k bottleneck the Nvidia gtx 1000 series gpu?

Looks like a GPU error.
GPU errors can be caused by almost anything (My desktop's GPU will crash bad enough to fail POST if I go onto a certain popular Gmod server), but it's best to check the obvious first.

First (or last if a laptop), try checking your GPU is properly connected. Random crashes are often related to poor connections.

Then if possible, monitor your GPU temperature, and see if it does anything unusual before crashing.

If it's not a temperature issue, it might be software, so try boot Windows (assuming Windows) in safe mode to minimise what software is running.

Sup Forums is pointless
>Anonymous
>Anything I post could end up as a screencap on reddit

What's an anonymous image board that has:
>quality discussion
>a range of topics
>a sense of humor

struggling with something over in /fglt/
any input is welcome

So I just found an old Debian-based laptop with an encrypted drive but I don't remember the password. I can live boot kali with my usb---- how do I delete the data on that drive while preserving the disk space?

None.
Only smaller imageboards have quality of discussion, but they're almost consistently overmoderated which curbs both humour and range of topics.

imageboard culture is a struggle between on topic and popularity

You'll get segfaults.

Consider if the head of the list is NULL, consider if there's only 1 node in the list.

Why bother with the "temp" variable?

Thanks for the reply. GPU was my instinct. It most often crashes when playing games or opening images on Sup Forums. I've taken apart my computer a few times trying to solve it and I'm certain everything is connected properly.

While crashing, the screen freezes and goes black and then back to what was previously displayed and then black again and so on. Usually like 4 times before it goes to that jagged blue screen.

Is it possible I ham-fisted it when I first got it or accidently exposed it to static or something and that fucked it over?

void delete_last(node_t **headptr);

delete_last(&head);

void delete_last(node_t **headptr) {

if(*headptr == NULL) {

printf("\nLIST IS EMPTY\n");
return(0);
}

node_t *current;
current = *headptr;

if((*headptr)->next == NULL){

free(*headptr);
*headptr = NULL;
return(0);
}

while(current->next->next != NULL ){

current = current->next;

}

free(current->next);

current->next = NULL;

}

lol its a total mess

Does USB-C to USB-C charge phones faster than the default USB, to USB-C?

USB-C is just a connector. A physical end type. If your phone, charger and cord are all usb 3.1, it doesn't matter whether it's USB-C or not

is there such thing as a website based browser?
like a website that itself is the browser.

Did you try the other two things I suggested?

You can load up some pretty crazy shit in javascript, but what would be the point?

i don't really know.
i wonder if you would get cookies

Maintaining cookies is pretty much the easiest part. They're pretty much just short text documents

but would you host them locally or would this websites server host them . would it be better for privacy . idk

For Australians, what router should I get? Moving to somewhere with NBN. Thinking D Link D7 it's within my budget and it seems good. any other suggestions?

Again, text documents. It really doesn't matter. The important bit is whether anything gets left on your computer to link your ongoing identity. Rendering it all in some disposable browser environment doesn't really change much

I bought a mac after years of using linux but I can't get into being gay. I still want to fuck little anime girls.

How do I fix this? I just want to live.

ah okay . thanks for answering my stupid questions

If I have a drive formatted for NTFS, how do I get files over to a Mac?

Do I have to put both that drive, and a reformatted drive/USB into a Windows PC and copy everything over, then copy what's compatible to the Mac? Or can I just copy shit over?

Mac OS can read NTFS it just can't write to it

So I can just copy shit from the drive to the Mac?

Yes

Should I avoid buying from NCIXUS? Was thinking about getting a case that's ~$50 cheaper but they seem pretty sketchy.

How can I use ffmpeg to encode H264/5 without turning my laptop into a radiator? Is there a way to cap CPU usage?

I use PrtSc and Alt+PrtSc a lot, but the files that are generated only have the date in the filename. Anyway to get Windows 10 to make it date and time like how Linux screenshot filenames look?

They're legit but customer support is not great from my one experience buying from them, took them a while and like 3 extra phone calls for them to fully refund shipping on an item that arrived broken.

you can tell it to use fewer cores

isn't entirely correct - USB-C does offer the standard 5V0.5A power mode, 5V5A charging mode, and a new 20V5A power mode - but your phone can't make use of the 20V5A power mode, so it doesn't matter. The downside to fast charging (at 5V5A instead of 5V0.5A) is that it can decrease the life of a Li-poly battery.

How?

-threads #

Are all usb-to-micro-usb cables the same ?

I've lost the cable that I used to charge my samsung phone, can I just use the usb-to-micro-usb cable that was sold with my kindle tablet for example?

You can use it. The main difference will be in how fast your device charges. If the kindle cable happens to be high quality, then it should charge about the same speed. Some cables don't work well with quickcharge

windows 10 doesn't save screenshots, it only copies them to your clipboard.
you're using a 3rd party tool, so go look at its settings.

thank you

Sup Sup Forums

Simple question: Is there any stylus, no matter the price, that works on most screens (and windows tablets for that matter), isn't like pic related with that stupid shitty disc thing that keeps popping off and has a fine tip?

I paid 30 bucks for this piece of garbage, I'm willing to pay fucking triple for something that actually works

Ah, it's Onedrive I'm using. Doesn't appear to have a setting to change output filenames.

The default windows 10 shortcut is Win+PrtSc, but this even worse and produces "Screenshot 1.jpg". The default one is stupid in the first place since it requires both hands.

I really like the onedrive shortcut since I can quickly just use a single key or combine it with right alt.

Wacom has a gazillion non-pro Intuos tablets. I just want to draw shit. Which one do I need? I have a 24 inch monitor and people tell me that I need a medium-sized one at least, so I'm looking at the Art Medium. Any suggestions? It seems heavily overpriced, so if the Small works then I'll get that one.

Will a 1050 Ti be bottlenecked by a Phenom II X4 @ 3.1GHz?

whats the best first mac OS computer to get? intended use is literally just for programming iOS apps. wouldnt touch shitty macs if there were decent solutions to program on PC

I bought this stupid IdeaPad and I can't get it to turn on in temperatures below 30°F or so--even if I set up somewhere warm, it takes a while to warm up enough to turn on. Why? I thought cold was good for computers. Are there laptops better suited for the cold (preferably 0°F or colder, but at least better than this mess)?

The temp never strays into the danger zone. I'll try safe mode tomorrow, I've been out all day.
Might be worth saying that I've had a dual boot for a few months and the Linux side hasn't crashed yet. Although I don't do quite as much gpu intensive stuff on it.

the thinkpad knows you didnt buy the AK47 that goes with that bayonet so its throwing a tantrum until you get one

Could you explain why you think so?

Because per-frame calculations are preferrable to per-object, and per-object is preferrable to per-vertex.
Moving all the matrices to the vertex shader makes calculations per vertex, and it makes your vertex shaders a lot more complex.

PLease educate yourself on the topic of CPU architecture and what the actual difference between 14nm and 28nm is
also stop looking at clockspeed when they are about the same, there is way way way more than clockspeed to a CPU that is important

starting internship soon. please suggest a laptop bag (15.6 ) which can also accommodate a lunch box - or should lunch box be carried in a separtely .
t. noob uni kid

Right now I have 4x4tb in mdadm raid10 which is backed up onto 3x3tb lvm spanned volume.

I'm wanting to gain some extra storage and was thinking of converting the raid10 into a raid5 and buy an additional 3tb drive to expand the lvm volume. Does this make sense?

I'm essentially not bothered about redundancy but if I pooled the 4x4tb drives i wouldn't have enough storage to back it all up.

Is raid5 using mdadm still okay or is lvm better?

Using downthemall in firefox, is there any way to make the inum mask start with a certain offset?

suppose i download a batch of 50 photos, named photo-001 to photo-050
and then i download a second batch of 50 to the same directory
is there any way for it to auto-number them photo-051 to photo-100?

photo-[051:100]

that doesn't work though, that would attempt to name every file as photo-[051_100]

Oh I see what you mean.
There's currently no way to have an offset for the renaming mask number.

So this steps thing on the bottom of by screen popped up like 4 hours ago and I dont know why. How do I get rid of them?

What phone do you have?

Zte Axon 7

my Logitech G400 mouse is beginning to break and I'd like to replace it

I've read the wiki guide and outside of it the G303 looks like the prime replacement; independent research is telling me the sensor isn't garbo like the ones in the G302/G402 and the design looks comfortable enough (I use a loose claw grip). It's also cheaper than all the wiki listed mice.

any major flaws I should know about?

Look through your settings for a pedometer option, should be under display or lockscreen(something along those lines, I am not personally familiar with their flavor of android.)

How hard would it be to have a large battery implanted in your gut, and when you hold your portable electronics or put them in your pocket it can recharge them? And your own battery can be recharged by your bed when you sleep?

I truly believe this is the future.

And then it leaks and you die.

Is there something like a modern messaging style irc client? Something like Telegram or oter modern messaging apps.

I've gotten too used to Telegram and other stuff and now my brain has trouble parsing cluttered irc conversations. Or if this doesn't exist, is there any plugin or script for hexchat that can assign distinct colours to each user in a channel and/or delineate messages and make them easier to parse?

microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/irc-explorer/9wzdncrdkmgz

Having a non-zero vapor pressure, does a drop of peanut oil left out at sea level eventually evaporate? How long does it take?

Looks interesting, but it looks like the dev isn't very active. I'll try it out, thanks.

Weechat is worth learning just because it looks so 1337. Normies are always impressed when they see it. What else are you going to have on your second monitor when a cute guy cums over?

Does Kaori have a route in the PC version? Saw something about in the 360 version but not sure about PC

How can you tell if a program you downloading has virus?

Pretty sure it will evaporate eventually. Even a container of oil you left on your counter would eventually evaporate if you left it out for years.

Can't say how long though.

you can't.
don't run shit from untrusted sources.

90% of it has to do with common sense. Where did you get it? Who did you get it from? Can you trust this person? How many other people have downloaded this file, and have many of them posted things about it somewhere?

Otherwise, for smaller files Virustotal is a nice tool. A decent free antivirus can also work as a safety net, I use Avast myself. Though keep in mind that just because something is flagged by AV doesn't 100% confirm it has a virus either. False positives are a common thing.

If it's cryptographically signed by someone you trust, it's probably clean. That's how package managers on GNU/Linux do it, unless they're toy shit like Arch.