What GTX 1070 should I be getting...

What GTX 1070 should I be getting? There are at least 12 or 13 different models on the market and I don't know where to begin. All I know is that I'm supposed to stay away from EVGA and PNY.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbis.us/~narf/gpu.ods
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/mrvZxr/his-radeon-rx-470-4gb-iceq-x2-turbo-video-card-hs-470r4ltnr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on what type of build you have.

If you have a SFF build or no ventilation in your case, it's always safe to go with the founders edition since it's a blower card.

I personally think MSI's GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G is the best card due to being a reasonable size, quiet and having great temps. It was praised early on to be the best 1070.

I have the asus rog strix 1070 and it works fine

only problem is when i overclock beyond the factory setting's sub par overclock games freeze for like 2 seconds every 15 minutes, so i just went back to the subpar overclock and it's still overkill for anything i throw at it in 1440p

What about the MSI Gaming Z instead of the X? Is there a big difference to explain the $40 premium?

>GTX 1070
>paying for one part what you could pay for an entire computer
kys

I've made a small document with all versions of 1070 that I could find. Maybe it'll be helpful to you.

bbis.us/~narf/gpu.ods

You should be waiting for Vega and 1080 Ti to come out so prices collapse.

Probably could get a 1080 for that price then, or Vega if AMD puts out something good.

>but how long do I have to wait
Less than a week, literally, they're both showing shit off at CES.

>believing prices will drop

But what if OP likes games and isn't afraid of using his money in era of capitalism?

you can get an entire computer with a 1070 for the cost of just a 1070?

Illuminated backplate. That's pretty much it.

I have a Gaming X and it boosts to almost 2Ghz on the core @ stock.

>Less than a week
Like fuck, going from a CES demo to actual availability of aftermarket models and (potential) price drops it's going to take 1-2 months at least.

Not everyone is as poor as you.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with PNY. They produce Quadros for Nvidia, which are held to a higher standard than any gaymurr card. Said Sup Forumstards don't know anything about them because they barely promote their GeForce cards.

wait a week to find out when 1080Ti/Vega launch.

the 1070/1080 are probably marked up 50% higher than what they'd have been if AMD actually had mid/high end competition this generation.

if Vega both launches soon AND is at least decent, recent buyers of 1070/1080 will be salty as fuck. there is currently a huge amount of uncertainty about when Vega will launch and how good it will be though.

I hope Vega is worth the wait.

DOOM Vulkan results and AotS leaks put it around GTX 1080 level, so don't expect much from it other than a price drop. We should get at least that much, I doubt AMD is going to come up 1 year late to the party and still ask $600+.

D44M results were like 10-20% higher than heavily overclocked 1080s, with solid 70+ fps at 4k/ultra in outdoor fighting.

granted this is AMD's favorite game at the moment, but the big Vega should sit solidly above the base 1080 and come not too far behind plausible 1080 Ti configurations.

It might be a 1080 gaming-wise, for possibly a lower price, plus with a higher compute performance. I'm sold.

It will have 15-20% higher fp32 capacity than TXP, plus double that in fp16.

If this thing doesn't trounce the GTX 1080, it's because AMD decided to inexplicably cheap out again on geometry and ROP units.

Is your display better than 1080p 60hz?

>D44M results were like 10-20% higher than heavily overclocked 1080s, with solid 70+ fps at 4k/ultra in outdoor fighting.
No, they were maybe 10% faster than a 1080 running 1900-2000MHz, which isn't heavily overclocked at all. In fact every single decent aftermarket 1080 will boost to that area on factory settings pretty much. I've got a 1080 myself and had a look at performance in the same scenes, the FPS difference was in the 5-10FPS range in the scenes I could kind of reproduce closely. This was also in DOOM Vulkan, which favors Radeon significantly, so by no means a neutral title. We don't actually know if the settings were absolutely maxed either IIRC, so if it was Ultra rather than absolutely maxed, then the performance isn't impressive at all once you consider the numbers don't come from a title which is vendor-neutral at all. The AOTS leak showed it straight in the middle of the 1080 pack and that's another AMD-favored title.

Isn't this a matter of choosing to spend more silicon area on ALUs instead of Geometry engines and ROPs? You gain something, you loose something.

it's a matter of AMD making bottlenecks in a market they don't dominate.
see: Maxwell + tessellation bonanza + cut-down ALUs vs. Kepler + GameWorks middleware + TWIMTPB, a.k.a., being able to sell less as more

Doom isn't AMD favoured. It has Vulkan support, which is an open API. Doom can be run under OpenGL as well. At this point, the best policy is to use whichever API gives best results regardless of hardware vendor.

Ashes, on the other hand, uses async like crazy, which does favour AMD cards.

this, PNY has been around for more than a decade making Geforce cards and they've always been fine.

What about budget build? Would a 1050 /Ti be decent for a casual?

RX 470 should be minimum

I'm talking poorfag budget, 130 to 190 europoorcoins.

RX 460 or get more money.

Get more money, it's only 206 EU for a dual fan 470, it's about 20fps faster than a 1050ti , far more capable for AAA 1080p gaming

de.pcpartpicker.com/product/mrvZxr/his-radeon-rx-470-4gb-iceq-x2-turbo-video-card-hs-470r4ltnr

Alright, will look into RX' then.

No need to fall for Nvidia brand, I guess?

Depends if you're shitting with money go for your typical Asus/Msi picks (Not Evga though, their cards catch fire with 1000 series). If you want something like 98% performance of the most expensive 1070 at 5 degrees higher temps for $100 less get the two fans edition of Gigabyte/Zotac 1070. My gigabyte overclocks as good as any other 1070 while costing me $80 less and running at 68 degrees when OCed and in 99% use.

DOOM Vulkan favors AMD more heavily than Ashes DX12 and it uses async as well as well as shader intrinsics for AMD, you just need to look at some results. DOOM also runs like shit in OGL with AMD, the performance is much worse.

>DOOM Vulkan favors AMD more heavily than Ashes DX12
It doesn't. Pascal cards see about the same improvement to performance under Vulkan that AMD cards do. Maxwell doesn't see the same results, which means this has nothing to do with the hardware vendor and everything to do with the API and whether or not it's properly supported.

This is not the same as an Nvidia sponsored title where Nvidia adds random effects to the game that cripple performance across the board, but worse on AMD cards while offering no discernible improvement to graphics quality. You may not mean to imply that, but that's what you're inadvertently doing.

AMD's OGL drivers have never been very performant (not that the API model really lends itself to high performance very readily compared to even DX10/11), but the day is fast approaching where high level APIs are just portable layers written atop Vulkan/DX12 anyway.

It would be nice to see actual open competition in high level graphics API implementations.

you could not build a competent gaming PC for 400 dollars, you could build a facebook and word processing machine at most

>It doesn't
So you're telling me RX 480 is on average 30% faster than a GTX 1060 across all games and it's not just DOOM Vulkan heavily favoring AMD?

Again, Vulkan improves performance on Nvidia hardware as well. The 1060 is a poor example since it's essentially a shrunk 980. The 1080 and 1070 both see gains under Vulkan.

>across all games
I'm trying to tell you that Doom itself is not AMD favoured since it uses two different APIs. You could make the case that Vulkan is AMD favoured, but it's not relevant since there's another API the game can run on and Vulkan is open source to begin with.

Bottom line: the 1080 is the best performing card in Doom and sees a minimum of 20% better performance in Vulkan than it does in OGL.

Also, the 1060 is a garbage card and nobody should buy it.

I am sorry you're poor and/or do not have a profession or hobby which requires more than masterwork toaster grade tech.

Does it have drivers yet?

Pascal is just Maxwell shrunk and OC'd. Good play on their part.

>Pascal more than doubles Maxwell performance
>being this butthurt about it
Hello Pajeet.

I own an MSI Armor 8G OC. It's quiet and always runs at great temps. It also looks great.

And by that you mean....

> cut back on general shader ALUs to make a smaller chip
> accelerate rendering feature of dubious value
> make blackbox middleware that heavily uses that feature
> encourage game devs to overuse new accelerated feature
> every other architecture suddenly looks bad and less efficient
> new cheaper to produce and generally less useful hardware looks magically great
> ta-da

Maxwell isn't a technological leap, it's a giant middle finger to Kepler owners.

so there's nvidia features made explicitly for the purpose of crippling old hardware in every game, even the AMD sponsored ones?

jesus, the lengths people will go to defend shoddy AMD engineering, just like hillary supporters.

Tessellation isn't an "nvidia feature", but it smell rotten when Maxwell is mostly a cut-down Kepler for comparably labeled parts but with jacked up tessellation/ROP throughput, then magically HairWorks/GameWorks titles start bottlenecking every non-Maxwell card on tessellation.

Maxwell was a step backwards sold as a step forwards.

the only game that had excessive tessellation was witcher 3, how do you explain maxwell performing much better than kepler in every other game?

not to mention pascal, which performs much better than maxwell despite a much smaller die and less ALUs.

> batman capes
> crysis concrete barriers
> witcher hair
> ...

Honestly it's probably the other custom blackbox shaders like early TXAA implementations that are more egregious, but nearly all of GameWorks is basically bloatware that is designed to make non-Maxwell cards look slow.

The reason that Maxwell looked good at release was also partially that Nvidia had a lot of GameWorks-ready games in the pipelines as the cards first hit the shelves, and reviews almost never bother benchmarking games over a year old.

tessellation abuse is really very insidious

rasterizers take triangles as inputs and output 4x4 (AMD) or 4x2 (newer Nvidia) pixel output blocks, so tiny triangles do nothing but leave pixel throughput on the floor.

when tessellation is used where silhouettes aren't visible (middle of a big relatively flat area for example), it's pure waste, since parallax occlusion mapping looks identical at a tiny fraction of the cost.

what's the better gpu side to pick for madvr settings?

amd or nvidia?

What's wrong with Handbrake?

If you're doing gaming you'll want an RX 480 regaurdless

bump

Sapphire Nitro+