Approximately how much time does it take to learn a programming language?

Approximately how much time does it take to learn a programming language?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Cyclic_Tag_System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

easier ones like python: few months for someone completely new. for someone experienced it'll take no time

SQL: 2 weeks
other languages: 1-3 years
C++: you won't live long enough

A day, for a programmer.

Thats a stupid question, depends on your previous programming experience, the programming language, intelligence and much more

It depends of the language, your motivation, and if you have (or not) the logic of the language.

Also, depends of when you considers a language learnt. You can do funny programs after few month of learning, but a 2-years programmer will do the same as you in a tenth of the time.

SQL isn't a programming language

>SQL isn't a programming language

I recently learned that it is Turing complete

proof: wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Cyclic_Tag_System

i recently learned that it's an acronym of 'structured query language'

i'll be damned, not a programming language after all

It is a programming language if it's Turing complete.

C is just a letter, but it's still a programming language.

not all things turing complete are programming languages, sql is one of them

SQL is a programming language. When you can program with it then it is by definition a programming language

Some experts restrict the term "programming language" to ONLY those languages that can express ALL algorithms, which SQL can. Any algorithm that can be expressed in C can be expressed in SQL. Functionally they are the same except SQL would likely be more verbose.

but you can't program in pure sql, you can only form queries

I think he means PL/SQL

>When you can program with it then it is by definition a programming language
I can eat pasta with a soldering iron, but I'm not about to call it an eating utensil for that reason. SQL is a declarative programming language, and is a programming language for that reason. Because you can treat it as an imperative programming language is moot - that isn't it's purpose.

From zero knowledge, to learn to make something quick and dirty that works in, say, Python, a couple of weeks. All the hard work's been done before and you can just 'import _doShit', and from there you just need basic structure and syntax

To actually understand most of what's going on will take years and you'll want to use C

>but you can't program in pure sql

Yes you can. You CAN program in SQL:2003-conformant SQL. I provided proof earlier.

i'm just gonna risk calling it a query language, not a programming language and hope people wont laugh publicly over my ignorance.

Would be fun to program a game in PostgreSQL though. Or... Well... It would be tedious, but fun when it's finished.

Depends on previous experience. If you're already a good programmer it'll only take you about a week or so to get used to the syntax. Took me a week to go from java to c.

What if you have little to no experience? I used to program a few things in VB.NET but really, very basic and the code was so simple. If I want to learn something actually useful (maybe Java) for a future job, how much time and dedication would it require? I tend to forget things and syntaxes if I don't use them often

>SQL: 2 weeks

Le "SQL is so easy" meme..

I'm sure you can explain the Boyce-Codd normal form? Or the differnce between "NOT IN ()" and "NOT EXISTS ()"? Not talking about stuff like stored procedures, triggers..

People look down on databases, not getting that the role of a db guy is to know how and when to do backups, migrations, choosing the right data types and db design and so on.

I'm really fed up with that shit.

Here is a recursive fibonacci sequence in SQL server:

;with fibo as (
select 0 as fibA, 0 as fibB, 1 as seed, 1 as num
union all
select seed+fibA, fibA+fibB, fibA, num+1
from fibo
where num

maybe for a liar but certainly not for a (good) programmer

> also, nice bait
> pic not related