So what gigantic dumbass decided multiple competing standards for a single cable type was a good fucking idea?

So what gigantic dumbass decided multiple competing standards for a single cable type was a good fucking idea?

No wonder this shit didn't last long. Fuck DVI and I'd like to punch the asshole who did this.

DVI is much more comfy than HDMI and Display Port.

It was a group of many different corporations that decided on that shit.

And it's extra stupid because DVI-I (dual link) has pretty much the same features as DVI-I (single link) so there is no need to make two different standards other than aesthetics I guess...

And DVI-I could do both analog and digital so there is no need to make DVI-A (analog) and DVI-D (digital)... But I guess that is what happens when you mix some sort of democracy (or comitee) into the decision.

And yet the dvi adapter from a gtx 750ti doesn't work with the ports on a rx 470...someone should be beaten for this shit.

Severely beaten.

Digital is not analog
Analog is not digital
Single link isn't dual link
Dual link isn't single link

With DVI you're certain that you are using the right cable.
With HDMI you ain't.
UHD TV with HDMI 1.2 doesn't show 3840*2160@60Hz even though it connects.

You can't connect a cable that is the limiting factor on a DVI connection.

>And DVI-I could do both analog and digital so there is no need to make DVI-A (analog) and DVI-D (digital).

DVI-A is basically only for VGA to DVI cables and adapters
DVI-D is for DVI cables and ports that accept only digital signal but not analog signal
DVI-I is for DVI ports that accept both digital and analog. which is fine if the port actually supports both analog and digital signals

if it was only DVI-I, it would be possible to conect a cable carrying analog signal to a digital-only port. then people would wonder why doesn't it work, and blame the cable

>if it was only DVI-I, it would be possible to conect a cable carrying analog signal to a digital-only port.
nonsense, they would have only made ports compatible with both

Why would manufacturers put a RAMDAC on their cards when almost nobody is using monitors that only have VGA input anymore?
If you so desperately need VGA output you can use a cheap HDMI to VGA active converter, there are ones powered by the little bit of 5V current on pin 18 of the HDMI port out there.

>DVI-A is basically only for VGA to DVI cables and adapters
Exactly. I have only ever seen the DVI-A standard male connectors (plugs). Never seen an actual DVI-A only female connector (like a socket on the GPU).

This.
I also want to add that dvi was a transitional device/standard, which are usually a bit messy as it's hard to predict exactly how quickly new technologies will be adopted.
Didn't help lcd monitors at the time were fucking terrible in every way and cost a small fortune.
>why not just use dvi-i for everything?
Besides the stated reason that one device may only support analog and one device may only support digital, it also has to do with cost.
In more recent times we've enjoyed digital panels that offer support for analog signal, but this requires an analog to digital converter. No big deal today, but in 1999 it would have made things much more complicated on production and design side and overall more expensive to produce these already overpriced panels.

>didnt last long

what the fuck are you talking about

My monitor is connected to my laptop through HDMI-to-DVI adapter, because my monitor has no HDMI input.

I did similar.

Honestly this isn't so bad, probably not even as bad as HDMI (and displayport?) where you have all the different versions having the same connector but for different displays and resolutions and features you need to have the correct version support on both sides.

You mean just like USB-C variants and displayport/thunderbolt?

Those have the added perk of looking exactly the same with the same plugs so you never know if the cable will even do what you want it to do.
>Img apple donglegate

You're just retarded.

Who is the fucking retard who doesn't known the diff between analogue and digital signals?

> signals
> digital
topjej

What.

Dude it's not that bad. You are obviously too young to remember the levels of cancer we used to have to endure.

Pic related:
Apple 15pin analog to 13W3
Apple 15pin analog to VGA dongle
13W3 to VGA dongle

Not pictured:
9 pin CGA/EGA
Composite
4 pin SVGA (which is no better than composite)
Component / RGB
YPbPr
etc.

Agree DVI can eat a fucking dick. Nothing like spending an hour of my day trying to translate which adapter or cable I need.

Look at port on GPU, look on port on monitor
????
WOOOOOW

EE snobbery most likely

DVI is pretty ridiculous

I finally upgraded to DisplayPort monitors a few months ago and never looked back

And that doesn't compare to DMS-59, which looks like DVI but isn't.

>Didn't last long
You're a dumbass

That looks nothing like DVI lad.

>DVI is much more comfy
Kill yourself, comftard.

Boy am I glad I don't use that shit anymore.

DVI is being phased out. My monitor doesn't even have a DVI.

DVI is far better than the encumbered shitfest that is HDMI.

what

DVI dual link has double the bandwidth, allowing higher resolutions.

S-Video was my favorite

more than double, famalam.
DL DVI technically has unrestricted pixel clock rates, whereas SL has to obey the 165 MHz cap.

>currently using a DVI cable for my main and a Display Port to VGA adaptor for my other monitor

Then special order a cable because nobody has the one dvi you need.

Fuck dvi.

Do you live in Africa?
Or another 5th world shit hole?

>Then use a normal cable and adapter because you're not a fucking retard
FTFY

Bullshit. One fucking cable that works and can't be fucked up.

Nobody sells that shit.
Good luck finding that shit at your local store.

You literally cannot get more uncomfy than dvi

Every fucking tech store sells DVI-I, DVI-D both single and dual-link.

I actually got exactly what I needed at a local store, cost me $2.50. Also
>what is the Internet

They give the fucking things way with everything that uses them. I've got 10 of them.For whatever reason, manufacturers always jew out on HDMI cables, though. And then it's off to Best Buy...

>didn't last long

Pretty common for like the last 15 years? Unless you're as old as the moon you're talking shit friend

The same idiot that made a transparent background have black text

RF connectors

BNC's the best connector

you want to punch an asshole?

Not sure if bait or retarded

Kys

>mfw still using vga with fullhd
It just werks

That's DVI.

>no 144hz

limited dynamic range

>You can't connect a cable that is the limiting factor on a DVI connection.
But you can bend all the pins to fuck, which is fantastic.

How the fuck do you manage to bend the pins? Do you jab your cables with screwdrivers in your free time?

>try to cram connector into slot which looks like the right one
>it no work
>guess I have to push harder
>oh shit it's fucked now

Digital is technically a special case of analog.

But user, DVI is the only proper digital signal connector out there.

Everything else is not considered standard by me and/or ridden with sound and/or copyprotection.

Just buy full DVI cables. If you're too jewish and buy single link or DVI-D single link only, then it's entirely your own fault.

>things that never happened

I use DVI and VGA all the time and I've never bent a pin. Stop being a spaz.