Only just discovered kodi, what a fucking amazing program

Only just discovered kodi, what a fucking amazing program.
Any tips or tricks for a noob?

Other urls found in this thread:

kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC
fusion.tvaddons.ag
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=api
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't get it. How is it amazing? And it can't play live TV from my TV tuner so I'll probably still not use it.

Why can't it play from your tv tuner? I've seen it in use doing that.

The depth of it is incredible, how it can be so many different things for whatever your use case may be.

It can't. It needs 3rd-party software to run as a backend and they're all hot garbage. There is not a single piece of software that just werks with a TV tuner EXCEPT.....
Windows Media Center unfortunately

Get a VPN, otherwise your ISP will get all up over your ass (assuming you live in burgerland)

thats only for torrents like when using quasar. for streaming your fine.

>otherwise your ISP will get all up over your ass
>ISP all over you
>for a media player
>a media player that requires no connection at all to use and can be run local or single machine only
You have no idea what KODI actually is, do you?

They wouldn't be up your ass if you didn't pirate shit.

Luckily I live in a country where they currently don't give a fuck.

>Windows Media Center
Son...

By all means, please find a way for me to finally stop using it. Nothing else works.

So your argument is that kodi cannot do this?

Which you can integrate with Kodi...

kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC

Kodi doesn't do anything like that by itself, no
I'll give this a try tomorrow, but it will still have me at the mercy of WMC. I'd like to abandon it altogether.

Haven't used Kodi, but my dad told me some things about it
Barely. It's a streaming program that is open source and can replace TV.
It's leeching without seeding, but you're still a cuck.
Good for you then.

Thanks for the (You)s anons.

>Barely.
It's literally just a media player with netflix style UI for local files. There's plugins you can add to do p2p streaming and shit but they're not built in.

>Kodi doesn't do anything like that by itself, no
Most things people use kodi for isn't performed by kodi itself.

I feel like you're missing the whole point it.
>I'll ignore all functionality that is added by plugins and repositories

Plug-ins are annoying. I appreciate the flexibility of the program but releasing a package that just werks for given purposes would be nice.

The whole point of it is that it is open and extensible in whatever way you like. The very heart of it is plugins and 3rd party repos.

I switched to MythTV since WMC has been EOL'd but yeah MythTV Is pretty shitty to setup but once it's running it's not too bad.

If you want to stream free shit install a build that's has the things you want it for. I'm currently using pulse build, but I only watch movies once in a while so I don't use any other feature. Get the remote app for your phone it's called Kore I think on playstore so you can use it away from computer. Like if you use it for music.

I haven't really explored the builds, are they worth it versus setting up a few things yourself?

I don't know shit all about Kodi, got any good stuff to get me started and into it Sup Forums?

Wow
Burger here and you are completely fucking wrong

You still have to get the add-ons with the new builds

Kek, it has plugins and shit that you can add to like a small ecosystem.

Builds are just presets of add-on. They install a bunch of add-ons and even give repositories to install more. You can still set up things yourself the way you want you'll just have a few extra things already installed for you some even have custom skins and menus that vanilla Kodi doesn't have. I suggest you try the fusion build, it just adds a bunch of add-ons and repositories, from there do some research on what you want Kodi to do and install bigger builds.

Check out aeres wizard it's a program you install in Kodi that gives you a list of builds it can install for you without you having to do much, it doesn't have all builds, but a few popular ones.

*Ares wizard

Just check some youtube videos for setups, you'll get the idea.

Oops, meant for the ones that scrape (leech without seeding) P2P traffic.

why should i switch from mpc-hc with MadVR to mpv, when madVR gives better image quality??

because you're wrong

Plex users can go and fuck themselves. Kodi is for power users. It's a damn powerhouse. oh, and it also has a Plex addon, for those salty ones.

Btw OP, don't fall for the builds meme. If you want games check Retroplayer.

All the repos are shit from what I remember. Terrible organization and horrible stream quality.

If you wants streams, though. You can always use torrents.

but im not, took two screenshots and madvr looks better.

Exactly. Which is why I don't understand Kodi. If you're not using it to stream then what the fuck are you using it for? Some frontend to watch local content? Why not just use your file explorer and media player?

some streams from one click hosters like exodus and pheonix are decent but yea some are shitty. you can get better quality with torrents with quasar addon but its no different then downloading it from a torrent client.

I've compared them also with high quality settings and they are indistinguishable. Stop lying.

"high quality settings"

Ok then, please give me your mpv settings and i will re-check.

Kek nice try faggot
ISPs literally only ever care if you seed and out of the 4 places I've lived in 10 years I've never had any issues in burger land

What would be the easiest way to set up watching stuff over a network? I currently access network folders and open the file but it struggles and stutters at 1080p stuff. Could Kodi transcode the file locally and stream the video to another computer?

>run kodi as OSMC install on a Raspberry Pi 3
>connect 6TB hard drive
>connect to TV
instant home TV station!

thats not how it works. if you connect to a swarm that someone who is hired to log IPs is connected to then you can get logged regardless if you seed or not.

Why not install a samba server and just copy it over?

>youre wrong stop lying

>asks for config to see if his shit is fucked up

As per usual mpvmeme'ers would rather spout memes

topkek

This is how I got my first DCMA notice from Verizon using Popcorn Time

>not using a VPN with Verizon even to check Facebook
enjoy your permanent cross-domain advertising cookie

Tell me about it, need to get one ASAP

Current addons in my Kodi setup

>music
Mp3streams
Django

>video
Exodus

>live TV
Ccloud TV
Nasa TV

>Skin
Mimic
Titan (liked this one but it's too heavy on the cpu)

Are there any plugins I might be missing for watching live Tv, movies, or shows?

add a network drive: fusion.tvaddons.ag

then install the addons installer from the drive using the .zip folder.

install exodus for all your video streaming needs.

I can't get my sound working in kodi, picks up my sound card but doesn't output anything. Sometimes when I start kodi it plays some menu sounds but stops shortly afterwards. I've checked the FAQs, wiki etc tried all available output devices in the kodi setting but nothing. I don't suppose anyone has experienced this?

VPNsdon't protect against cookies.

>Ccloud TV

Thanks for that. I was using sanctuary till now. Ccloud seems more stable (doesn't crush when running out of buffer).

Can somebody explain to me the appeal of this program? Is it meant to be used on a tv as a media center? Because on my laptop I have no use for it. I've seen tutorials to stream sports with kodi but the process is somewhat cumbersome and I don't see any advantage versus clicking on an ace stream link.

NextPVR is better

You need something like Plex or Emby to handle the backend because Kodi is shit at metadata management. There were workarounds back before the name change and I have no clue if it's even doable now to set a network path for metadata like days of yore. Good luck getting all that shit to sync/fit on a RPi or some shitty android box if you have a decent library.

How does this compare to plex?

Their jew shit with multiple accounts and such is pissing me off.

Get an addon called exodus and enjoy the free 1080p streams of your favorite serie or movie.

>Any tips or tricks

install plex

Don't trust them. Good alternative?

Proprietary piece of shit. Avoid were possible.

*where

*when

I have been using it against my better judgement because it has a nice webui.

Felt like watching your shows tonight? Too bad lol.

I should make copies of files every time I want to watch something? I do this very often btw.

Nope. It's on the same level as MythTV. Barely works.

BubbleUPNP will recognize your existing network shares and act as a transcoding layer if you are using the app.

I used to use it to stream shit to my chromecast before I migrated to PLEX.

Best skin?

CCloudTV is shite, 90% of the US/UK streams doesn't work

The player on Kodi is shit though.

Because I use it on my TV, retard.

It's a fucking media player. Am I missing something?

I have my media computer on my TV too but I just use my file explorer to watch stuff.

Easy to access streaming films/tv shows or so I hear

>enjoy your permanent cross-domain advertising cookie

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=api

Use IPTVFreedom

That shit doesn't work on an ISP placed cookie on your toaster, try again

somebody ban this nigger

quality is shit and the stream sites are slow as fuck tho desu

Using Emby to play downloaded content with Arctic Zephyr as your skin is pretty cozy.

>was gonna samba share an HDD so i could access it on kodi from my tv
>can't configure samba on the fucking router cause it's some gimped chink piece of shit that my ISP gimped even further by removing samba
>can't bridge it and use a real router either without calling the ISP having them remote configure it for bridge and it takes like a week to havy my request filled
ISPs deserve to burn to the ground

Well you're doing it wrong. You need a new hdhomerun unit that does transcoding. Sort of /s because I have a original hdhomerun and it was a real bitch to get it to work with kodi and now it doesn't work at all with kodi on my firetv.

At a friend's house we create music/youtube play lists with the Yatse Android app, basically a Kodi remote control. Great app

Why are people so goddamn autistic about muh quality?

Even 720p shit from stream sites on kodi looks quite above acceptable, you are a faggot

The popular and newer stuff are fine. but I have ran into some piss poor quality streams.

I have never personally come across this problem. I have around fifteen users that utilize my Plex library. My mobile devices sync photos and videos. I also happen to use nextcloud to avoid botnet on phones as much as possible. It's been a great service for the most part. Emby is shaping up to be pretty similar as well. The plugin support isn't as robust but it has had similar plugins ala XBMC but they're usually shitty. Pretty happy with it overall. Everything works. Music streaming like spotify via my personal library works well too.

You need certain add ons to watch live movies and tv shows. Like IPTV. You just need a reliable and fast internet connection dn it should work. I recommend installing Ares Wizard and downloading Pusle CCM. it installs all the add-ons you would need plus has a really cool design

>Barely. It's a streaming program that is open source and can replace TV.

fuck me. it's time to leave Sup Forums, I have been here far too long.

name change should make really any difference. Im running gentoo and i see a fair bit of "XBMC" in the file paths and such as it compiles away

They altered XBMC to a degree once they started the shift towards the Kodi moniker. They were also pushing for Android support at around the same time. You used to be able to edit the XML config and point all metadata storage etc. and sync it across multiple devices via a network path. Last I checked this wasn't easily doable anymore or at all.

>implying you wouldn't eat a fucking burger right now if you had ready access to one with your choice of toppings

Also, never had an ISP issue.

I use Kodi on both a Samsung Tablet and Raspberry Pi. No issues on either with both local files and streaming on either device.

The plugin system is there so 3rd party devs can extend functionality easily and so that users can pick and choose what they want. The shit-quality pirate streaming is all 3rd party.

The issues in my case have to do with local libraries. I have around 13k movies and a few hundred TV shows. Music library is medicore and only eats up most of a 2TB drive. XBMC/Kodi handling metadata would take a whole day or two and won't work on SD. I also lose multi room sync. Meaning I can watch something on my phone stop and move to my TV or computer. Only way to do that is via emby or plex plugins.

Oh and the RPi despite it's popularity stutters on HD content. Shared bus problem perhaps? Anyways there is that. My old WDTV Live does a better job than the Pi there.

apache2 + mod_davfs over ssl with basic auth using a free noip domain. that's THE ultimate way to stream your content. I can even watch my HD movies on my phone through public wifi without any issues. can manage my downloads on the same server with transdroid from anywhere too. it's a pretty slick setup. shitty old pentium 4 server running debian.