I know that a lot of you guys have Thinkpads (or whatever laptop you use) alongside your regular desktop

I know that a lot of you guys have Thinkpads (or whatever laptop you use) alongside your regular desktop.

What is the purpose of having a secondary machine? Looking for an excuse or a good reason to get a Laptop.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00OJZHDV6/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don have a thinkpad, but I use my laptop when I travel, which I have to do a lot of

I use my Thinkpad as my desktop.

why does that krusty not like that steak

poor steak

Worms wouldn't be worms if they didn't have another machine to jump to

Fair enough. But I am trying to hear more from people that have a main desktop and a secondary laptop.

Lol

Yea that is one of the most solid reasons, I don't travel much though.

Who knows.

My laptop is a Kodi machine for my dad when I bring it home from university.

I take the laptop with me when I meet with clients, go to friends house (just in case,) when I travel or if I just don't feel like sitting at my desk (using it to shitpost from my bed right now.)

Pretty much I have a workstation I use to do actual work/anything CPU intensive and my laptop exists for convenience/comfy reasons.

Actually i use my Thinkpad as a min computer.

Docking station + desktop eGPU with its dedicated monitor really make it a desktop.

Best I have heard so far! I can really relate to this. I would love to shit post from bed. How do you get comfortable enough in bed to shit post? I would love to do that but I feel like it can get uncomfortable.

Also what laptop do you have?

Thinkpads aren't Laptops anymore - they are portable desktops.

Macbook air is laptop. I cycle around with mine because my CBD got really good 5megabyte/s wifi and dont even know its their. Cant say i miss my Dell Lattitude D830 with spare battery.

Also took the train to the Goldcoast. 1hr of comfy shitposting was mint. Im sure i triggered a twiglypuff by browsing Sup Forums in public ;)

>What is the purpose of having a secondary machine?
Mine was originally for college- I didn't feel like moving my main computer from my home to the apartment I rented to avoid a two hour drive home.

Now I use it to bring games(I have an usb hub and some controllers) and movies(HDMI out) and such to friends places when needed, and the gf uses it to play games after her computer died.

Honestly if you don't game and don't care about high specs I'd say just get a cheap laptop anyway. Or fuck it a tablet with a keyboard and mouse.

What does the docking station add?

>portable desktops
Yea I would say that you are right.
Macbook Air in pretty fucking shit though.

I have a pretty comfy battle station, good enough for anything. I was thinking about getting a Thinkpad and installing GNU/Linux on it but I wanted to hear what other anons use there laptops for to see if it would inspire me.

You want it?
Do you have the money to get it?

That's all you need.

>You want it?
Yea I think it would be nice.

>Do you have the money to get it?
Yes sir.

I actually sold my desktop after using a thinkpad and realizing what I had been missing out on this whole time

and when you miss the screen size? - keep your monitor and kb + mouse and use it all with the battery unplugged and the charger plugged into a surge protecter. i switch between my desk and random places as i please. its the best of both worlds.

at any given time i can pack everything up and move as i so please, although not perfectly mobile, certainly more so than a desktop is

then what other reason do you need?

Just wanna hear what other anons do, just to inspire me and give me some ideas on what I can do.

So you use your Thinkpad as a desktop replacement basically?

>What does the docking station add?
It's a dock with ports and connected to the wall outlet so you plug all your USB peripherals, headphones, ethernet and whatnot into the docking station.

You only need to take the laptop when going out and then place it back into the docking station to use it as a desktop when you come home.

Shit's also hot-pluggable so you could be working on something outside then put the laptop to sleep, dock the laptop and keep working like nothing happened.

That is pretty fucking sweet user, you never have to stop doing what your doing.

desktop parts in bottom right too, lol
still haven't put them on ebay yet

literally no reason to go back
just make sure you have an SSD and 8gb of ram so that you don't notice the performance difference.
you don't need video games anymore anyways, and besides, its not like they can't run ANY games, just have to go back to the older ones

>just have to go back to the older ones
or use an egpu

true, but I for the most part have been able to curtail gaming save the few that I truly enjoy enough to keep playing them, lol

also i don't play any online games anymore.
I don't mention this to be furthering that sentiment Sup Forums has of "only children play games", but there is something that is undeniable about gaming and it is that unlike other hobbies, this one gives you a form of measurable progress which gives you the impression you've accomplished something when you actually haven't

>lift weights, get strong
>run, get faster
>start cooking, get healthier
>read, learn more
>play games, get better at games

you get better at the games, but it doesn't actually translate to anything which physically impacts you in a positive way

I am not saying I am a no fun allowed guy, I am saying be aware of how you spend your time. I was genuinely addicted from childhood until age 17

I would totally like to have a Thinkpad as a secondary machine but I don't think that I am willing to replace my desktop for it, not yet at least.

Yes i understand, don't play more than three games and nothing new interests me anymore, i guess this 1050ti will be my last non-integrated GPU.

Would a Thinkpad run WoW?

with eGPU? for sure

without, probably only t430 and up

>How do you get comfy in bed?
not him but if you're a side sleeper you curl into the fetal position and use your top hand to use the clitmouse and both hands if you need to type something. prop your head up with some pillows and pull a blanket over you for maximum comfy

Like this?

I've got a desktop, a docking station for my Latitudes, and a server in the closet. The desktop is most heavily used. Hilariously enough, the Chromebook is probably used the most out of all my laptops. But yes, I find at least one portable computer to be essential, even if you have a desktop. Not counting phones.

Man Chromebooks don't look that bad but I can never find any good ones.

I think a Thinkpad would be pretty sweet though.

2000 years in gimp but gets the point across

Oh I see, that would be pretty comfy. Where would you put the laptop? On your stomach or against your legs?

People tell me that Thinkpads suck for bed use, I hope that is a lie.
The screen might be the only issue, honestly it can't be that bad.

you misunderstand, the guy in the picture is laying on his side, with his hand tucked under his head and the laptop laying beside him on his bed

thinkpads are fine for bedtime use

>Just wanna hear what other anons do, just to inspire me and give me some ideas on what I can do.
I'm not any of the previous people but I like to have
>low powered home server
>laptop for browsing and communicating
>desktop for gaymen
>big screen phone to carry absolutely everywhere

I try to do most of the things with my laptop as it feels more personal than my desktop PC. I wouldn't care much if something happened to my desktop PC as long as I have money to get another one. The laptop and phone are way more personal to me. Desktop PC is practically just a gaming console.

I don't do work with any of those, my work provides desktop PCs which require me to be at my workplace.

YOU ALL DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT COMFY
1/2

>he didn't buy the knee rest thing from ikea
>he doesn't lay back in bed easily shitposting

Got one of the older ones way back when, came with a real hard drive and big back panel that I could fuck with. They just werk, they're cheap, and they're finally capable of doing some things. But I still keep more powerful/flexible machines on hand when I need to get work done.

Ideally, the desktop is for heavy lifting, an enterprise laptop for taking work with you, and a Chromebook for lightweight dicking around and traveling.

Thanks user!

I would be the other way around, I feel like my desktop would be my main machine that I do most things with and the laptop would be a good browsing machine that I could use from bed, or anywhere else that I go.

Yea I get it now user, sounds like something I would do.

What's the name of it? Would come it handy.

Honestly I am mostly going to be using the laptop at bed most of the time. Shit posting, watching videos, and other light tasks like that.

If the machine is quick, runs cool, is quiet, and has good battery life that would be perfect for me!

Thinkpads are what I am looking into right now, but I am definitely thinking about Chromebooks at least. I haven't seen any good ones for a good price. Looking for something kinda cheap.

I have mine because I am learning the inner workings of Linux and its helpful to have a computer I can wipe clean and start over on without worry. Being able to distro hop and subsequently break them is fun as hell and learning to change and edit and write new code is the best learning environment in existence. Inb4 work in a VM. No thanks. Happily using my main computer for shitposting and video in the background

Yea whenever I get a laptop I am going to be using Linux on it, and do something similar to what you described.

look, I know we're on Sup Forums so you know thinkpads are going to be shilled, but consider this

Chromebooks are nice, but wouldn't have both that and a thinkpad be redundant?
Also, for the same price, you could get a fully functioning laptop which you can, with ease, swap out hdds/ssds and replace the battery

you can service it yourself, and also as I showed you in the earlier pic, convert it into a portable battlestation

I'm not suggesting you sell your desktops of course, but think about that. For $200 you can get either a chromebook, or a fully functioning machine with i5/8gb ram, I suppose the only con then is that it is used if it bothers you

>Shit posting, watching videos, and other light tasks like that.
>If the machine is quick, runs cool, is quiet, and has good battery life

Chromebook is for you. Find something for around $200. I consider $250 and above a ripoff. My C710 was $200 a few years ago. Of course you can get a capable used Thinkpad in the same area, so it's your call. If you can, wait to find one of the rare deals where the Chromebook comes with free 3G, but I don't think they do those any more.

Totally leaning towards the Thinkpad user, seems like a much better deal. What you said is true.

I have nothing wrong with used items, as long as they are in used condition.

Right now I am just looking for a good deal on one, they seem to be overpriced on Ebay.

Or you could spend $800-$1200 and get something that won't be trash and will last 5 years.

>I use my Thinkpad as a desktop
>you could spend $800-$1200
Fuck off piss phone.

>alongside your desktop
The Thinkpad is the desktop. It's locked into a dock with cables gangbanging every port and I don't want to deal with that every time I want to do some work at a coffee shop or school.

Also, the second laptop is a dedicated Linux machine because 1) workflow and 2) fewer distractions (and because it's a piece of shit that's almost 8 years old).

>excuse
Do you have $150 lying around?

(you)

>Do you have $150 lying around?
Well I have been saving a few hundred bucks, but it's not really just laying there ready to be wasted.

I haven't seen any Thinkpads for that price (Ones that are in somewhat good condition at least) People overprice the fuck out of them on Ebay.

What is this meme doing here

Whatever it wants.

>get a t420
>get dock
>plug desktop into tv as its my home theater media center now
>get dock and plug into monitor that the tv has replaced
>shit post in bed or at desk
feels good man
thinkpad was only like a 100 quid brand new

It's comfy to use around the house or when I'm out.

Fuck thinkpads though, buy something with an Intel atom. You'll get a comfy 10 hours battery life, small light and portable, and very cheap too. Just use your desktop for anything demanding, your laptop will just end up being a facebook/multimedia machine.

That sounds fucking great mate.

How did you get it so fucking cheap? I would get one any fucking day for that price.

What laptop would you recommend then?

I use an Asus transformer.

Shit touchpad 2bh, but super comfy when you combine touchpad with touch screen. Also has a really nice keyboard, and the screen can be detached if you ever want to use it as a tablet.

You should be able to get something like the t100ta on amazon for around a hundred bucks. Mine also charges with micro USB so it's compatible with my phone charger and power banks too.

You don't need higher specs if you don't want to do any rendering or video games or other demanding shit.

Best part is, because it's passively cooled I can use it in bed without needing a table or book underneath it.

If you already have a desktop, you don't need a ThinkPad with i5 and 8GB ram, but if you want to replace your desktop completely then the ThinkPad would definitely be the better choice. These netbooks work better as companions to your desktop. They compliment it instead of replacing it.

Yea exactly I am looking to compliment instead of completely replacing. I am still going to mostly use my desktop but it would be nice to shit post from bed.

Also there aren't any on Amazon. I would like a good track pad, I don't think I could use a laptop if it were really shitty.

To add to this.
I recommend this because it's been great for my use. I don't know what your use will be, but don't forget that business class laptops like thinkpads and elitebooks are thicker and heavier than regular laptops. If you want something you can hold with one hand and use with the other, you might want to avoid the thinkpads because they're not as convenient.

A passively cooled netbook or chromebooks sounds great for your uses then. Don't look at raw specs, on my t100ta 2GB ram is plenty for opening several in Opera or watching movies. I'm not a heavy user and I rarely go over 10 tabs though.

The transformer has a touch screen which works great with the touchpad. Once you start using them together, regular laptops just feel clunky and slow to navigate.

Search for t100ta in amazon. I found one for 89 dollars even.

>2GB
Man how usable is that? If it is running Windows I don't think it would be very great, 4GB is like the lowest.

I did search for it but couldn't find what you were talking about.

I spend a lot of time working in laboratories so it's useful to have a secondary computer that's portable I can use when working in them.

Windows 8 uses ~600MB on mine. Will take a pic for you when I get home if you want. Also windows is surprisingly decent at handling only 2GB ram.

>listen to music
>have several tabs open in browser
>have MS word, one note, and or excel open
>zero lag or slowdowns

That was during uni though. Currently it's just being used to binge watch South Park and shitpost on Sup Forums occasionally from my bed.

Man on Amazon I couldn't find many Netbook type laptops, and the only ones were from ASUS (They are a shit company)
Fuck...

What's wrong with Asus? I'm happy with my transformer.

I don't normally buy them for parts since I have a preference for gigabyte, and the transformer was a gift, but I've had nothing unpleasant happen while using it.

Well ASUS is known for not being the most reliable, and having very bad customer support. Like extremely bad.

Honestly I would get it but I don't see the same prices that you were seeing.

Did you do a search for t100ta?

amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00OJZHDV6/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Yup. Cheapest I see is $99 and that has no keyboard.

Ok.

Ok.....?