If Linus can build his own hifi grade speakers, why can't you?

If Linus can build his own hifi grade speakers, why can't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2/srm2.html
bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-polk-audio-r50-150-watt-tower-speaker-black-single-r50/10085189.aspx?path=17cda6a7dce02505b5e7892dea3a089ben02
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

need better drivers

what the fuck is wrong with the black finish? faggot cant paint.

Garret Claridge would try to blow them.

he saved

>linus can build it

He didn't
PLUS:
-they look like ass
-they sound like shit
-too expensive for reasons stated above.

This. They look disgusting.

SPEEEKAA

>bought a kit with preselected components that are likely poorly matched
>didn't go through the trouble of comparing various drivers and calculating ideal crossover frequencies
>didn't then use a site like mouser or digikey to compare various passive components based on values listed in datasheets
>didn't account for things like dB sensitivity, resonance frequencies, internal volume, bracing, etc just mimicked someone else's design
>believes $100 savings is justification for the shitty end product

Speakers are surprisingly simple once you've gone through the trouble of doing some research.
But slapping together some cheap shit with complete disregard for something as well established as speaker design basics is off the rails retarded.
You're better off grabbing some shit from a thrift shop at that point, as it would likely sound equally shit and only set you back ~$20

What makes you think they sound any good?
He never measured them...

$300 vs almost $700
They probably weren't on axis with the tweeter
And they don't have trained ears

They said the kef sounded sharper, probably because British speakers are harsh as shit

>go on kijiji
>buy the first $200 pair of towers I see
>would look and sound better and give you less AIDS than the ones he built

They were not poorly matched, they were all Dayton drivers

Holy shit I'm not the only one who's stumbled across this sperg?
I can't believe that furry faggot has been making speaker destruction videos for so many years. It must be some bizzare fetish or something.

He's been known to Sup Forums for some time now

>Linus
>build

He didn't even build them. He bought the speaker drivers and electronics and then gave one of his lackeys $150 to go out and buy some MDF and nail it all together

when I first heard of his channel and how he "blows up speakers with high power", I was pretty hyped, but after a few videos I got bored. the wires usually fail first, and then it just stops working. once in awhile the magnet will disconnect from the cone, but usually it's boring af

I probably could.

But seeing as I already have a pair of speakers that I can't really use in my apartment due to thin walls and neighbors, I won't even consider it.

I think the guy who actually put the speakers together was his dad? I think he's been shown a few times and is actually a competent handy man (or maybe Luke's dad?)

I want to make love with Linus.

ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2/srm2.html

>Build when others make it cheaper and better

OP IS A FAGGOT

we didn't get much of a look at the guy putting them together but it didn't look like Luke or Linus' dad

He looked young

>massive amounts of filler because they couldn't cut straight
>holes for drivers off centre
>looks like they went for a second coat of paint over some bits and left the other bits

nah it wasn't their dads

>they're the same brand therfore well matched
>woofer freqency range is 55-4000hz
>tweeter range is 1600-20000 with fs of ~1000hz
>therefore the effective crossover range is 1600-4000hz, barely over an octave, and uncomfortably close to the fs of the tweeter
>only enough components for a first order crossover and maybe an L bridge

I can tell you from that information alone these would sound like absolute shit.

Just how long though? Genuinely curious.
Yeah he's a furfag, but he's not terribly obnoxious about it unlike a bunch of them.

sry, I only use gaming grade speakers

just went and looked back, I guess you're right. the guy looks older than the avg Linus Cuck Tips employee, but he's at most 40

>the ending where they compared his KEFs
>the KEF scores a 7.5, shitty diy ones score ~5.8
>Linus considers this a win
what would you have to do to score a 1 or 2? I'm willing to bet a $100 pair of bookshelves would score a 5.5 too. with speakers, price is very important. there is always a better speaker out there for a bit more money, and the subtleties are the thing you're paying for. fuck, two of these would sound and look better I'm betting

bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-polk-audio-r50-150-watt-tower-speaker-black-single-r50/10085189.aspx?path=17cda6a7dce02505b5e7892dea3a089ben02

>Hacking together some poorly matched parts and not even testing them to see if the end result is even objectively good

Shit just get some ELAC B6. BS22s or other meme speakers that have at least been designed by people who know what they're doing and reviewed objectively (no audiophile bullshit) as bretty gud.

I bought a pair at the Salvation Army for $30 and they sound pretty great. Had to win a coin toss for them because some other guy saw them at the same time I did.

They are well matched drivers, I like to see you give me measurements to prove otherwise
An idiot built them, given to a professional like zaph, he could build it better and cheaper that would be better than the kef

>Dayton drivers
There is your problem septic shit.

>kit bashing
>build

If you're concerned about price/performance you really shouldn't be looking into diy speakers. Decent drivers, components and materials don't come cheap, and prices rise exponentially the more drivers you add.
And shoddy enclosure design can make even the best drivers sound terrible.
Diy speakers aren't cost effective, they're fun projects for people who like to design and build things.

Also surround sound speakers are pretty low hanging fruit. Home theatre enthusiasts are probably the only people more gullible than audiophiles and speaker companies are well aware of that.

do people here actually watch linus tech tips and all that shit? i tried watching it the other day and god damn, it feels like i'm watching a show for retards.

in theory, I like his newer videos, with the korean monitor and the DIY speakers, but in practice the presentation is shit

It's even worse in the musical instrument world. You get people thinking they can throw speakers in a box and it'll sound good and then wonder why their expensive eminence loaded homemade cabs don't sound good.

Musicians are fucking retarded

I literally just did that you fucking idiot. First order crossovers are only viable if you've got a good 2-3 octaves above and below your designated crossover point, and handing the signal over to the tweeter that low is retarded.
Dayton drivers themselves aren't bad but these are not at all well matched.
You could certainly improve it with a 3rd order crossover, but you'd be so much better off picking drivers with more overlap in the first place.

says the guy who lives in a shithole.

Nice non-sequitur/ad hominem combo.

Why don't you provide some argument to counter and disprove the points user made? Better yet educate yourself on basic loudspeaker design.

>calling out someone's retardation is a sign of Sup Forums now

>hifi grade
That's like having a living room grade chair.

>TFW bought 7.1 surround sound for £50 from Argos
T-they sound fine to me.

>can't paint
>can't dress
>can't gromm like a regular human being
>can't talk like a man
>can't make videos without shilling shit left and right
>can't be better than hitler

Those speakers honestly look like absolute shit. How did they fuck up the finish that badly?