Is Linux good enough to play games?

Is Linux good enough to play games?

Other urls found in this thread:

fossbytes.com/intels-clear-linux-distribution-might-soon-become-a-great-choice-for-gaming/
agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sure, but games are not good enough to run on Linux.

The only games that matter are old console classics (emulators), indie shit (native ports), and VNs (wine).
So yes, yes it is.

What games? And do you mean native or under WINE? For the latter, I've never had something from GOG not work. Indie games and old games run pretty damn great in WINE and those are what I mostly play, assuming they don't have a native Linux release already. Indie games are more likely to support Linux. I can't speak for the newer meme EA games and the like.

Playonlinux is great and lets you easily have separate wine configurations for different games, even letting you install some games and their workaround dependencies automatically. For emulation, there's Retroarch which is terrific once you set it up.

So yeah, Linux is good enough for games unless you only play AAA titles that were made under NVIDIA hardware and rely on four Microsoft dependencies.

Vidya is going to shit anyway, soon there won't be any new vidya worth enough of your attention to just sit through a trailer.

It's good enough for emulating 3/4th of the vidya worth playing anyway. For the rest you may need to VM a Windows.

There you go user, Linux plays everything that matters!

gaming is probably the only advantage windows has over linux

Linux is better than NT at anything, and indeed probably the best kernel to run video games on theoretically

modern desktop GNU/Linux though, not so much right now.

Not really. Even native games have comparatively slower performance on Linux compared to Windows.

43 of Steams 100 bestselling games in 2016 had full Linux support

educate yourself, its because they are made for windows, and no optimizing done linux

Depends on your preferences.

Want the latest and greatest and have a decent GPU? Nah.

Want just -some- but mostly indie games or PC exclusives? Probably yes.

Want emulation or older non DX11 games? Of course my man.

>Hello, I am retarded and have not heard of dual booting computers therefore I will use Microsofts Botnet at all times not just when I'm forced to.

No it sucks for game unless your the kind of faggot who plays indie games.

Not with a Pentium retard

linux doesn't support my sound card. sound blaster zx. so linux is a piece of shit. i shouldn't have to replace my sound card, or use some sort of obnoxious usb dac that takes up precious desk space just for sound. fuck off you linux / dac shills.

yes
long answer:
yes indeed.

i switched completly for gaming back when wine first supported wow because i played nothing else at the time.
i switched before for work/deskop usage when xp got only activation, because botnet sucks.
today the only addition i got to my game repertoire are a cheap ps3 + ps4 and none of the exclusives are even on windows.

here a few notes to the gamestudios that create desktop pc games that got hughe player bases:
if you like valve titles like dota+cs:go you get full native support (obviosuly).
if you like blizzard titles they will be made to run in wine a few months after launch (even overwatch is close now)
path of exile works(has microlags from time to time but playable)
lol works(same thing)
warframe is broken in wine(for me) but used to work, might if you invest more time
hirez studios (smite, paladins) => you will run into troubble in wine, but you can get it to work
bethesda, ea, ubisoft => you are out of luck and a lot of their games are broken, but those companies are dicks anyway and their games suck for the most part. (bethesda is slowly getting better through wine)
epic/unreal titles => 50% get a native ports, but they need a year+ for that on avaerage
darksouls 2+ => you are out of luck (litterlay console ports anyway that play best with a controller)
square enix and a few others hire feral games to port their titles so you get quite a lot of good aaa native ports if they succeeded first on windows too

you get more games then you can play and the dicks stay out good result for a 2% userbase so far

>Valve
>Native support
Only Dota2 does it properly, CSGO struggles because it ahs to render the game in DX9 and translate to OpenGL. I have a r9 290 and I can get up to 400+ FPS playing it, while not reaching 60 on Linux

>asus fucks him over and he still blames the platform
good little cuck

>create a game in d3d9
>design everything in a way that won't translate to OpenGL at all
>shit ton of draw calls
>just naiively convert everything to OpenGL
I wonder why it runs so poorly?

>CSGO struggles because it ahs to render the game in DX9 and translate to OpenGL
My frame rates in CS:GO are comparable to that on Windows. There were performance problems in the past, but they're mostly worked out. It might be a driver issue for you; I'm on a GTX 760 on Antergos (Arch), so all of my drivers are Nvidia and up to date.

The mouse handling is garbage though. The mouse handling is so stuttery that it always feels like it's running at 30 FPS. There's also a bug where if your framerate drops to 1 FPS, you'll spin around. It make surf impossible.

This doesn't matter for the end user, as sad as it is. It's not like you can do anything (other than use Windows) even if you have that knowledge.

CS 1.6 is as good on Linux as Windows, so they did that well too.

This will change quite a bit with Vulkan and DX12. Possibly with DX11 too. I'm not sure how well DX11 maps to OpenGL4.

linux is just slow compared to modern NT kernel. FreeBSD is about on par.

[citation needed]

That would be very nice, but it's still going to take years for proper Vulkan/DX12 adoption, even on Windows.

cs 1.6 runs much simpler engine than csgo

league is the only reason i am still using windows more over linux

Why does every Arch user always have a random anime image open on their desktop? Can't you think of anything better to use your screen real estate for?

I use Antergos and I've never actually bothered to change the default desktop. I don't understand why people care. I almost always have the background covered.

Yes. Sources for native games:
>steam
>good old games
Additional options (with potentially lower performance):
>wine/PlayOnLinux
>console game emulators
>browser games

You have access to over 90% games already. The argument for "muh Windows has all games" is retarded. If you look at steam most games which only support Windows are pure garbage. If anything is good enough it will at least be ported to macOS. To be fair, majority of games are garbage and it is tough to be in the 5% of non-shit games. It's rare for Linux not to support those, at least through wine if not natively. Unless they're a newly released title, it will take some time for wine community to make it compatible and improve performance.

>linux
>good

>playing games
A white kid writes games, a nigger plays them.

fossbytes.com/intels-clear-linux-distribution-might-soon-become-a-great-choice-for-gaming/
Intredasting...

oh boy I sure want a linux distro made by a company that I can't trust

With that attitude why not play FOSS games exclusively. You can't really trust valve either.
This just means Linux is getting more and more attention, which is a good thing since tons of distros will also get more support.

There's a bit of a difference between having my whole system built by a company that I can't trust and letting steam install with root permissions. I'm not aware of any games that need to run with root permissions on Linux anyway.

It's easy for Intel to do something questionable, like: agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49

Sup Forums, pls go and stay go

> games
> intel pentium CPU 2117U @ 1.8GHz

is this some kind of meme?