DAW General

How does ardour hold against other DAWs like Ableton and Bitwig?
How's it hardware and plugin support?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OkNpCjs97tI
youtube.com/watch?v=zgJU96KxuaY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump for interest

It's a pain to setup, good luck getting your VSTs to work, some people still manage to do good stuff with it.

which one should I use?
bitwig, fl studio or ableton.
I wanna make shitposts, dubstep, future house, brostep, vaporwave and some beats

fl studio is official shitpost daw

>linux
>audio
>support
kek

If you want to make music in Linux, consider Renoise. Since it's a tracker it's not exactly what you'd want for multi-track recording, but for sample editing and getting ideas down fast it's second to none.

I've used Ardour 2x for multi track recording.

Jack sucked to set up, but worked fine. Ardour had some crashing issues, but nothing major. I used the godly Hydrogen to sequence some beats. Even found some custom drum kits that sounded pretty metal with a few tweaks. It was cool how the transport from Ardour would interface with Hydrogen.

Didn't use Ardour 3, which supposedly has support for VST. I was using outboard hardware. Now that I mostly use VST anything that is unstable or weird with VST I wouldn't want to use.

All in all it was cool that I could get some shit done in Linux, but windows with reaper jest werks.

This was a while ago however. Things may have changed.

FL studio or Ableton
You might get some cranky old men making fun of you on Sup Forums but the truth is FL is just as capable as Ableton which are both just as capable as any daw in the world with VST support

>2k17
>not jamming with only analogs

Just get whatever you can pirate with all of the plugins. It's not like you're going to produce anything worthwhile anyways.

Where my renoise users?

My korg ms20 comes tomorrow, excited to figure out how to get it to work.

Renoise is an autistic spreadsheet daw
That being said I use its sample editing abilities

Nah, tracker interfaces are easier to work with in my opinion. In FL Studio you have to go into pattern editor, piano roll, then place it into the arrangement.

Whereas in renoise you just jot down your ideas directly into the arrangement.

Because of this ease of use I think renoise is the best way to get ideas out. Also its sample editor is fucking perfect.

Fuck the lot of you ive been using FL since I was 10 and I really cant use anything else anymore. 19 now btw.

Like I said, it's a fucking autistic spreadsheet daw, I didn't say it was inefficient. Of course anything that can be wholly operated through the key board is gonna be fast after the initial learning curve, doesn't mean it isn't an autistic spreadsheet daw.
I use Ableton for everything except sample editing, renoise is just so autistic and micromanages so well it's perfect for sample work
I have used trackers for entire productions, it's dumb. I don't want to have to enter in 6 data values for a note when I could double click and stretch a note, then enter only 2 ADSR data values. The spreadsheet layout and hexadecimal isn't even bad, it's the fucking 30 extra steps you have to take to accomplish the same thing that makes it autistic
But luckily that autism works well on samples

Reaper

Got any links to your musics? I'm interested in hearing people's musics. I've been listening to lots of 'new media' types of music rather than popular musics lately.

Just say you like browsing shitty amateur music on soundcloud, no need to be embarasses we all do it

>he uses the daw that comes free with $30 mixers

A lot of it is not shitty at all. Especially the vaporwave and all the spinoffs, like vaportrap.

youtube.com/watch?v=OkNpCjs97tI
>vaporwave album

youtube.com/watch?v=zgJU96KxuaY
>vaportrap album

Still waiting for someone to develop some real vapordubstep, vapordub music.

yep this guy gets it.

My favourite artists use Renoise and there is a native linux version.

Squarepusher uses it and that was enough of a reason for me.

No clue about those but Reaper user here. If you're looking for a good DAW check it out. It's essentially free and you can get licence for 60 bucks. It's got all the features and capabilities you'd expect from a professional DAW. Been using it professionally for years in the studio I work at.

Squarepusher uses any hardware he has laying around, just like Aphex Twin, just like Venetian Snares
Venetian snares has literally recorded a toaster popping into a C64, filtered it though Sony Acid, and arranged it in LMMS
These types of producers don't give a shit what daws are, the way it should be

Those three guys are fucking based. It's incredible how most people don't realize how much they shaped electronic music as it is today.

He also said he has 6 penises

Pushers and venetian drum programing is insane. They are geniuses.

For me its Mitch Murder and ASC :)

It's on windows too

Absolutely. I especially love Vsnares' more classic-ish compositions, like the albums "My Downfall" and the one that has "Hajnal" in it which I can never remember the name of. Fucking amazing work.

>I especially love 3% of Venetian snares music
Yeah that's how it went for me
Gonna actually load up my so called life and the foreign language album right now

Meathole and songs about my cat are my favorites. I love how retarded loud and unexpected songs about my cat can be.

I like most of it, I have his whole discography in digital format and I regularly go through it while playing/browsing the web/programming. They're just my favourites.

It'll never be a picture of Aphex's cat converted into audio though reverse frequency graphing

why not just say 'electronic music' rather than list a load of cringy genre names

Also, I listen to a ton of stuff that could be considered more abrasive/weird than Vsnares so it's not like it's 2heavy4me or anything.

Yeah I have also been inching my way through the pile of shit and gems that is his discography

Cubase master race

Looking it up, it was Venetian snares and it was actually on songs about my cat
I just imagined the grinning face at the end and thought of Aphex, sorry

When you say electronic music people think of Stockhausen etc, not dance music.

>against other DAWs
Not real well, but it's still legit. What do you expect for free?

Not unless you're in a music history class, "electronic music" refers to the most popular and ubiquitous version at the moment, just like "metal" now doesn't actually refer to the Norwegian rock bands of the 50's
I've been tagging my music as "electronic" since I started for no other reason than genres are fucking retarded and "electronic" doesn't imply a genre

If you say electronic here people get triggered and go on a rampage why you're wrong.

I argue that people understand what you mean when you say electronic. But they argue that anything that has an electronic element is electronic music.

It's retarded, they're smartasses.

What do you ReWire with

Different subgenres of dance music are known for certain sounds associated with specific hardware and production techniques. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be specific when talking about what you're looking to make.

But what he is talking about relates to hardware and production techniques, not anything dependent on the stylistic genre, "electronic" implying "simplistic, in-the-box" production is specific enough in this case
Unless he's asking what VSTs and samples to get, which in that case he can fuck off and dig himself

I think you have asparagus syndrome.

Yeah because I don't think "Future house" and "vaporwave" should be deciding factors on what DAW you should use
Either way, future house and vaporwave belong on soundcloud, posted by 15 year olds, the way it has been

Not a Linux fag, but a aspiring producer (lol).

Ableton and Fruityloops are the only way to make music without a real studio so far. You can use Maschine and Reaper for side projects or developing a sample/meoldy. Use Kontact for promising instrument samples.

Anything else is for meme music

Asparagus confirmed.

Meme music? Run all your live instruments through hardware effects and a hardware mixer board and record it all down into one channel with Windows Sound Recorder. DAW is optional.

>using steinberg VSTs

wtf I love jews now

>Ardour

Why do people even bother with this literal trash unless they somehow enjoy making 4/4 shitpost beats for their soundcloud that no one gives a literal fuck about for the rest of their lives?

It's a pure autism daw; literally what happens when you try to get developers to develop something for free based on "libre" stallman autism. And the worst part is that people will ACTUALLY defend this.

It get argued over and over again with, "you can make music with literally anything user.", "It doesn't matter what you use user." or "It's possible to make great music in Garage Band user"

Yeah sure it's """""possible"""" but why the fuck would you want to? Pirating a decent daw and some plugins costs nothing. And if you care about morals then save up $200 for FL or Logic by working a couple of hours at Starbucks, it's not hard.

Whoa, pump the brakes there pal