What programming language should I learn as a beginner?

What programming language should I learn as a beginner?

Other urls found in this thread:

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9
nim-lang.org/
software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/39/c5/325462-sdm-vol-1-2abcd-3abcd.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do this MIT course:

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9

it's challenging as fuck, but you'll learn how to program enough to learn anything. Python have a little of both OOP and functional programming. So you get a well rounded intro.

C

Java/C#
Don't listen to the autistic memers, they're easy and teach you the fundamentals so you can learn other languages easier.

These are great OP... It is much better to spend a long time before you can do anything useful. It is too easy to learn Python, you don't get to appreciate how it feels to suffer for your art.

assembly

HTML/ CSS then JavaScript

then PHP

or

Ruby

I recommend Java. My first oop was c# and i didn't enjoyed it. It's easy to switch between them.

>6.001
>challenging as fuck
Rofl no. I hope you're not that smelly Pajeet that thinks he's the new John Carmack because he completed an dumbed-down intro course from MIT.

Java/C/Python

Nim.

nim-lang.org/

>le functional meme
Why would he want to learn that? Nobody uses it.

Learning functional programming is only useful if you're thinking of going into academia, where folks have a real boner for it, but besides that, it's a complete meme. Don't fall for it.

assembly

C -> C++ -> C#
It may take much time, but worth it.
Don't stay long on each language. Just learn how its works and go to next.
In this case you will learn how to programm at all and how shit werks, not only one language.
After that you can easy learn anything else.

But you can just learn Java (or anything else, doesn't metter) and do monkey code.

MIT is becoming a meme nowadays . Too much cancer and over the top acting by the students part . TempleOS creator talked about it during one of his livestreams ( though I guess the stream itself devalues its meaning since he calls them "MIT niggers").

Python or C

C if you want nitty gritty details but that'll make you a better programmer overall and which has embedded applications

Python for more of an intro to programming which you can quickly use to make some pretty nifty stuff

TLDR: Python for highlevel, C for lowlevel

...Also install Gentoo

Agreed.....buncha self entitled cunts imo

for first language can t reccomend JS becoz its crazy like 1+ '1'

kill anyone who unironicly tries to poison you with C/Java/PHP (all variants of the same thing)

True Basic if youre going to go on, Python if you just want to learn one language ever.

Not a real programming language but MATLAB is a good starting point if you want to do alot of computations. Allows you to focus on programing logic and has a friendly syntax. This is how I started before I started using real programming languages.

c++

It's based on sicp. It is challenging for most people who are completely new you arrogant bragging fuck.

I wouldn't call the most used programming languages in the world poison. Do you wanna work or not?

t. faggot who was too dumb to get into MIT

>an dumbed-down

I really like programming languages but the industry sucks. I have no desire to work on apps or advertisement services, and no amount of money motivates me to do it. Microbiology, Pharmacology, & Chemistry seem to be a lot more interesting with cool applications.

good for you.

Would definitely agree. Very good intro course and it's free. They even offer credits if you get like a 70

none.

Higher order functions, higher kinded polymorphism & types, and composition is not exclusive to academia.

Say what you may m8. Just understand there's a difference between being a genius and being intelligent. Most people on MIT are intelligent. They aren't geniuses as the public view seems to believe.Just a bunch of intelligent people who got too self entitled because they managed to enter a good institution, which is justtoo sad. My father said he still remembers the time when MIT was an agglomeration of geniuses and he heard daily through the media and papers of their exploits. Nowadays , it's just as I have stated. Also:

>TFW too smart to study in cucked states of kek

Left that hell hole as soon as I could. If you are truly smart enough , you would leave the USA and not study in a meme university.

new to programming as well. should i learn c++ or python? whats the difference? what can one do better that the other one cant

actually, i might learn both. but which first?

C++ (and C, Rust, etc.) code is turned into binary which is handed to the CPU to run directly.
Python (and Lua, Java, Ruby, JavaScript, etc.) code is run using another program that interprets the text you've written.

The difference is like digging in the woods or digging in a sandpit. Or maybe its like going raw or banging with a condom. I don't know.

C is faster than Python, but you need to know what you're doing.

ok thanks. but for a complete beginner who wants to someday incorporate programming/software engineering in his work, which would be more efficient in terms of learning quicker: to learn python first then c++, or the other way around?

python first

i looked at a lot of languages to see which i liked- then it boiled down to c++ and python
i hate whitespace management so i stuck with c++ and am currently learning that
imo (which isnt worth much) treat it like learning anything else. you'll be more motivated to do what you like

Is JS really a bad language to start? I'm interested in server-side webdev. So far I've learned the basics (HTML, CSS/Bootstrap) and now I'm doing JS, but I've heard it's not that good to start programming. Would it be better if I started with Python instead?

addendum;

do python first if you still cant decide

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT LEARN C

why

Do not listen to those who suggest starting with Java/C/C++/Python or some similar shit. The thing is that functions in these programming languages can have side-effects: whenever you call a function it may change program state in some other place. Newcomers usually cannot remember all the side-effects and get really confused and frustrated.

It's better to start with Haskell. It is a language, where functions have absolutely no side-effects. Each function affects only the thing you see on the given line, no need to think about possible side-effects!

LISP

You'll thank me later.

Learn C, all other languages are inferior and are not worth your time.

python is better

HTML and CSS are not programming languages

if youre starting from scratch.. dont start with a language, start by looking into concepts first.. play with operators and conditionals and then loops. you could do this in bash.

What type of software do you guys like to build and why? Like why desktop applications or why mobile applications or why websites?

Like right now I chose mobile development because to me smartphones were a lot more beneficial for the everyday person. and then I chose android because I don't like apple products and think their market share is too small compared to android. then i picked up java in order to create for android. That's simply how i made my decision. Curious how you guys came to the decision of learning what you learned or w/e

not him, but where do you study outside the US?

Dont do this, op. Horrible advice

HTML 5 is Turing complete.

HTML, tags need no logic to grasp, you just have to fill the gaps.

Oh, that's right. HTML is not a programming language. It's a markup language. But it's the first step before going dynamic and messing with tags with PHP, JSP, ASP, JavaScript and the likes... These are programming languages, albeit confined in the web browser.

Do you have some grasp on computer architecture and how computers work behind the scene? Then many other answers in this thread may be what you're looking for.

So is CSS3. So they are programming languages.

Basic and Assembly.

Ada

Scheme

C

you learn Python
and when you are advanced in Python you also learn C to understand what you learned in python

>ywn be inside her
;_;

Why does she remind me of Ted Cruze?

t. pajeet

Rust.

x86-64 Assembly

software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/39/c5/325462-sdm-vol-1-2abcd-3abcd.pdf

You should be able to solve this.

Asm, C and lisp.
Forget the "begginer" crap, learn the real stuff and you can master the rest.

first you should think about why the fuck do you want to program, whats your profession, what you can do with that tool.
if you are a musician try pure Data and Super Collider.
Are you a graphic designer (or have interst in that)?
maybe you want to be a web developer an integrate that stuff then learn Javascript (don´t trust the fags who say is shitty)
you are a visual artist?
learn procesing or C++ using openframeworks
in the middle of that you can learn arduino and play with sensors.
if you need/want to do more generic stuff you have Python, Java and C and go from there to whichever catch your interest.
Maybe if you choose a language without having clear your goals you will be bored and fail, programming has todo with handling frustration, if you are not properly focused you will fail.
this is my own experience, i`m a musician and i avoided to spend hours in languages that doesnt give me all the things i need, in the end i choose 3 languages that helped me to build a framework to experiment and to build significant things to my professional development.

thats retarded dude, you have no fucking clue about what OP is gonna do with the language, maybe OP is a fucking english teacher who don´t need to learn the fucking guts of programming but learn how to sketch things to apply in class.
Maybe is a 18 dude who want to bueild an app and get profit,
Not all people interested in programming are high profiled.

C is used in physics simulation, you astronomical faggot.
it´s like say: don´t use hammers, pitchforks are best.
it depends, maybe you are so fucking specialized that only can view one or two languages for 3 or 4 tasks.

depends on what you want to program

This is the only right answer, and learn them in that order

Scratch

C++ is used extensively in PC software development, its high-performance but also includes useful abstractions to help you organize your code. Python is mainly for rapid prototyping, it's low performance (and depends on the Python interpreter runtime), but allows you to quickly write code and work out concepts before writing it in a high-performance compiled language. It's also used a lot in the physical sciences for quick calculations or simulations.

>BASIC
>2017

The main languages for physics are Fortran and Python. C is only really called for if you really every last bit of computing power you can get out of your hardware, otherwise the extra work of programming it doesn't really justify the performance benefits. And I hear modern Fortran is pretty high-performance too, the main benefit of C over Fortran is that it's more portable.

Learn C. It's the basis for most contemporary programming languages.

>4684 pages
bloody hell

JavaScript.

Go do the Khan Academy course.

Any good free C++ courses?

Do you mean books or courses?

Either.

My scrolling finger is out of breath just scrolling the contents overview pages.

allitebooks.com

Thanks

I did 6.001 back when they taught it in Scheme. The OO portion was an interesting kludge, to put it mildly.

Python, javascript

I think Javascript is a pretty cool guy eh doesn't afraid of variable types.

Huh, that looks interesting.