/pcbg/ - PC Building General

The Way It's Meant To Be Flamed edition
Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Remember: Try not to be rude to people who just want some assistance, but don't tolerate people who won't accept any help.

Coundown to CES 2017 dissapointments:
nvidia.com/page/home.html
ve.ga/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/h2FVf8
youtu.be/u0vBoXA4Tls
pcpartpicker.com/list/PDJLpb
ark.intel.com/products/family/29862/Intel-Pentium-Processor#@Desktop
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100167523 600003300 50001984 4814&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
pcpartpicker.com/list/fwvMXH
tweaktown.com/reviews/7415/adata-sp550-sata-iii-120gb-240gb-480gb-ssd-review/index11.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4nEbpn6NKPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WAbl0fLY06U
pcpartpicker.com/list/hr2dM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/K6sTFd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>tfw only cases with the form factor you want are Cougar QBX, Ncase M1 and Lian Li Q10
>Cougar is covered in cheap plastic
>Ncase too expensive to import
>Lian Li has meme glass window

Just can't win.

so after some careful consideration I realized I made a mistake buying a non-water cooler. i have some expendable income right now so it isnt much of a big deal to buy a more appropriate cooler. this one doesnt seem incredible but it will do for now until I get a better (bigger) case.

pcpartpicker.com/list/h2FVf8

here is the final build. I definitely payed premium on some parts for the brands, aesthetics, insurance, and shipping.

this is my first build, btw.

Today a friend asked for help for building a new pc

Found out gtx down to 1050's exists

How much of a meme card are 1050 & 1060 compared to the good old gtx 970?

G3258 or G4400 for budget gaming.

youtu.be/u0vBoXA4Tls
970 is better by a fair margin but is more expensive

Extreme poorfag here. A used 750 ti for $50 a good deal?

whats your price range?

yes if you're okay with medium-low settings at sub-60fps 1080p.

Go for an RX470 at that price range

I have a 1070 and a 600 w power supply and a micro atx case. So around 150 - 200

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

Where did the $47 2TB HGST HDD come from? I can't find it anything less than three to four times that price anywhere.

I also have a hyper cooler 212 evo and HDD and SSD. I've been trying to squeeze the life out of my old PC and it finally died so I need a new processor, motherboard and RAM.

I wouldn't go lower than an i3 if you're planning to play any new games. Dualcore without SMT just doesn't cut it anymore.

What do you think about this.
pcpartpicker.com/list/PDJLpb

Looking for a GeForce 1060 without coil whine

>600w psu

dude you dont even need 500w. even 400 might be pushing it

Core components are good, maybe would've done a 6600k if you're only gaming but meh.
That power supply is ridiculous, the ram is ridiculous. You have a case with no window, so why did you spend extra money on aesthetics? If you put it in a black or white nzxt S340 youll at least have a window to view your shit.
I'd say a 120mm AIO probably won't cool as well as a good $60 tower cooler btw.

If you want to save some money, you might consider the 6100 because it's only clocked 100 MHz lower. Or alternatively you could wait for Kaby Lake pentiums, they're apparently going to have hyperthreading ark.intel.com/products/family/29862/Intel-Pentium-Processor#@Desktop

I already own the 600w from a previous build.

Just ordered asus gtx 1070 dual oc, did I fuck up?

For use with triple 1080p displays.

thanks for the advice user. i am upgrading the case later which is why i care. it also just triggers me having autistic "gaming" aesthetic gear with ridiculous led's and plates.

this is an overclocking build and I do much more than just gaming (programming, music/video production, VM's) so the cpu, ram and psu I think are appropriate.

1060 is slightly better than 970, but if you buy one used you'll get a great 1080p card. The RX470 is the best bang for buck card, especially since stock clocks are so low (good OC possible).

Yeah

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100167523 600003300 50001984 4814&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
Might be Russian roulette. Some people who received "new" drives actually received used drives. Check drive if you buy one for around ~50USD

A little weak for a 1070 build. Consider an i5 6500. No reason to get a 6300 over a 6100

No

Pretty soon I'm going to want to update my CPU + mobo but keep everything else in my system the same, including my HDD+SSD. How easy will it be to upgrade? Will it be as simple as installing new drivers? I'd prefer not to reinstall my OS.

Currently running H97 chipset, either going to switch to Z97 (may get access to a 4770K for cheap or free, they're still very good from what I understand) or AM4 with Zen if the price is what I expect for similar performance.

No more room for HDDs, what is a good enclosure to turn old ones into a USB device? Is it worth spending $20 on what is really a glorified adapter?

Bonus points if it accepts 2.5" drives too and runs on USB power, but I assume that's not practical.

The power supply is ridiculous because a much cheaper lower wattage unit will be more than enough. EVGA GQ 650 is $71 and even that's overkill.
Why upgrade the case later instead of just buying a good one to start with? Wasting $59 and going through the hassle of swapping everything

You'll have to reinstall OS

Any i7 3770K or greater is good

It's not worth the AC power hassle to run 3.5" HDDs in an enclosure.

at the time of purchase most reputable gold psu's from 650-750 were around the same price, so i decided to go higher for just a few bucks.

i bought the case thinking I was gonna get a 6600k, but I changed my mind a few days later (before i bough all the rest of my components). i also had to end up buying another cooler because the one i originally got just wasnt gonna be good enough.

my mistake for reconsidering my budget halfway into buying my parts.

to add to this, what is a case you would reccommend for the components I bought? something all-black with a window and nothing flashy

Reposting from old thread!

Anyone here have a Fractal Design Nano S, or maybe seen one up close? I'm planning to move my system to itx and want to use one.

Do I get a 850W PSU for my planned 6700K/1080Ti build or a 1000W in case I get a second later on and run them in SLI?

I plan to overclock and using the Titan X as a guide it looks like each card will suck 300W at max.

If there's a lack of power, what normally happens?
Would the hard disk begin clicking when the computer tries to use it, after post/bios screens?

you can edit out the price to 0.00

>6700k
>mistake by not buying a watercooler
6700k are extremely cool and a double fan aircooler would last longer and be just as good if not better

I'm sure you're aware the programming, music production and VMs take almost no CPU power

Nvidia themselves recommend a 600w PSU for the Titan XP
300w of graphics cards isn't unheard of nowadays

meme post

alright so my laptop just broke. Any of you fags have any experience building laptops.
Im looking at ordering parts for a known laptop set off of ebay. It looks promising as hell if I can get everything. I think if I can get the wifi card, ram from my current laptop to work the total for a razer blade 2015 could be like $400

But it's true, not a single one of those uses requires hyperthreading to run well
Programming and music production as "computer hardware demands" are embarrassing

to everyone grinding against a budget, you were just going to blow it on goofy nerd stuff anyway if you had more

silicon power ssds are cheaper for more. anything to be wary of here?

the cpu is primarily for gaming. programming, m/v and VM's were justification for the ram. learn2read

The only absolute requirement for that build is the aio cooler, that's what'll make it worth using

hello Sup Forums, what better buy, fx83** or i5-6500?
primary for game pc bild (use old 760gtx from old pc)
not steaming in twitch, just simple playing games
pc will be updated where the by ~ 4 years (only maeby video card update on halt this time)
sorry for my potato english

i5-6500.
You're gimping yourself with the 83xx series.

E5 1650 Sandy Bridge System for 200€
ye or meh?
With 8gb RAM, 425 Watt psu, shit GPU, generic case, three fans and stuff.

Just bought a Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1070. Did I do good? Upgrading from GTX 760

By far the i5 6500

Seems ok. If you're trying to add in a gfx card, make sure the PSU has an 8-pin

>Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
pcpartpicker.com/list/fwvMXH
Budget 1K to 1.5 max
Gonna be used mainly at my office for web browsing, .doc and .xls editing, some light 4k gaming mainly single player games

I'm actually thinking about a 1050ti since it's pcie only and it doesn't come with a cable but it's PSU has a 8pin connector...
Another thing is I'd like to try doom which favors AMD afaik...

>including those retarded builds
Maximum autism.

Doom runs great on fucking anything
It's not an AMD vs nvidia thing when the game just runs that well

Why H170? Seems like a Z170 would be better at that price. You can use fast RAM and get an unlocked chip later to go with your cooler.

I'm starting to wonder if you're losing referral revenue or something

1050Ti is really only good if you don't have PCIe power connectors. Otherwise other cards are more powerful and have a better price/perf ratio

>Why H170? Seems like a Z170 would be better at that price. You can use fast RAM and get an unlocked chip later to go with your cooler.

I dont plan on OC ever, dunno about faster ram, would I see a noticeable performance gain?
As for the cooler I just want something more silent than stock

You'd see a bigger performance gain by overclocking

I am seriously considering using this TV as my monitor for my build. It's like 27" and I feel its too fucking big for my desktop. Will everything fit here? I'll be using a mid-tower. I guess I could put the tower below but still, is this 2 big? Will being so close to it affect my vision?

pic related

I think there's enough space for the keyboard/mouse, but I am really afraid my eyes will fry or something

H170 is for multiGPU. You might want a B150 or H110, but at your budget it doesn't matter.

Yeah I'm torn between the 1050ti and Rx 470. It's a price difference of 40shekels but I'm not sure if a 425watt PSU would handle a 470. Xeons eat up power under load.. The 1650 demands up to 180 watt.

Get a deeper desk nigga

yeah, that's my plan. But I'm still worried about the tv being to big and making me blind or something

I'm in a bit of a bind folks. Would a 4k@60 monitor be better than a 1080p@144 one? Both options are 24 inch monitors. I could also consider a 27-inch 1440@60 setup. Currently I have a GTX 980 Ti that runs 1500 mhz stable and an i5 4460

>TWENTY FOUR INCH FOUR KAY MONITOR
>NINE EIGHTY TEE EYE

Get 1440p 144Hz Gsync. Why the fuck would you not list the best option?

>6700k
>double fan

You're getting meme'd on. My OC'ed 6700k barely gets above 60c at load with a 212 evo

Builds are shit m8.

Nice criticism, m80

Ram, SSD, hard drive overpriced, get something cheaper.
2tb refurbished drives go for a bit over $30

For the power supply, get a cheap seasonic OEM one, you can get 550w/650w for between $20-$40

Also motherboard is meh and overpriced, look at elsewhere/Slickdeals

da fuck why would you ever want a 4k 24" monitor?

>Zalman T5
>shit as ugly case with only one fan
Deepcool TESSERACT for $34 comes with 2x120mm fans and has MUCH better layout.

>2x4GB Gayl EVO for $49
Retarded. Team Elite Plus 2x4GB costs $36.

>ADATA SP550
tweaktown.com/reviews/7415/adata-sp550-sata-iii-120gb-240gb-480gb-ssd-review/index11.html
Shitstack of a SSD. PNY CS1311 destroys your ADATA.

>Corsair R200
>recommending overpriced cases when cheaper equally good cases exist

>PowerColor anything
Shit PCBs across the board: youtube.com/watch?v=4nEbpn6NKPQ
XFX and Sapphire are both much better and offer great prices.

>EVGA 1070/1080
Enjoy your housefire: youtube.com/watch?v=WAbl0fLY06U

>recommending EVGA 500B for a 6600K + 1070 OC build
>not recommending the EVGA G2 or at least SeaSonic G 550.

>not including H110 mobos for budget builds
>not including great OC mobos like the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 for high end builds

Bottom line: your builds are disgusting shit and a waste of money.

Is there a 144hz monitor that also comes in an identical 60hz version? I want two screens that look identical but dont want to pay for two 144hz when I only want one.

this is a pretty good list but they are also not valid because several parts are no longer avalible and dont have pictures, also the Mobo and GPU and Ram and Storage is constantly changing

sometimes others are much cheaper, the easier method would just be to post the actual parts, let the people click on the sorting and choose the cheapest

especially with how mechanical the GTX's are now a days

also you have a RX470 listed, you can get a 1060 6GB for the same price and its light years ahead

there is zero reason to use any AMD products anymore, outside of the 1 month the RX 480 came out this summer, before Nvidia released their 1000 series

But a good single fan radiator is comparable to a 240mm watercooler, I was just suggesting a better alternative if he actually thinks an aircooler was the biggest mistake of his build

480 is as good and arguably better than a 1060 now
The point is they are matched and there no reason to prefer a 1060 or prefer a 480 outside of specific circumstances

When is 1080ti dropping. I wanna see the 60 & 70 possibly drop in price

They won't.
Unless you think the 1080 will be pushed down 30% of its price, the 1070 and 1070 prices aren't changing at all
1080 and Titan XP are the only prices that will go down, and even the 1080 going down is assumption

thanks

Titan won't go down.
1080ti won't be faster than the new Titan.

>this is a pretty good list but they are also not valid because several parts are no longer avalible and dont have pictures,
Yes, but it's clearly stated that the reader should click the Build to read its description. The real point is the skeleton, and the parts are just examples.

>on also the Mobo and GPU and Ram and Storage is constantly changing
Yes, and how is this a bad thing? I'm trying to keep the parts somewhat up to date.

>sometimes others are much cheaper, the easier method would just be to post the actual parts, let the people click on the sorting and choose the cheapest
Not sure what you mean by this, but you can click on the build to see its skelly.

>especially with how mechanical the GTX's are now a days
U wot

>also you have a RX470 listed, you can get a 1060 6GB for the same price and its light years ahead
Doubt it.. aftermarket4GB RX470 is 185USD or less, while the 3GB 1060 is 200USD last time I checked.

>there is zero reason to use any AMD products anymore, outside of the 1 month the RX 480 came out this summer, before Nvidia released their 1000 series
Agreed regarding AMD's current CPUs/APUs, but the RX470 is the best price/perf card for 1080p, which is why it's listed in a lot of those builds. The notes section suggests that 470/480/1060 can be swapped out at will.

But 1080ti is the Titan GPU, with the Titan RAM, for almost half the price. The Titan XP of course being an overpriced card specifically made for the non-professional market that wants "the best" and is willing to drop $1400 for "the best"
"Better" or not you can bet your ass the Titan XP will go down

Eh I'm referring to the Pascal Titan x when I say Titan

Obviously

1080ti won't be as fast as the Pascal Titan x mark my words

Oh, the OLD Titan X, sure that won't go down, it's already down and it's already worse than last-gen midrange gaymen cards. So I don't see why you would want that when a 1080 (which probably will drop) is literally better than the old Titan X, and in much better stock

But it will be the exact same hardware for $600 cheaper
People birch about the 1080 only having 20% better performance than a card $200 less, you think a $1400 card that performs similar to a $800 card will still hold value?

Looking to build a 1080p gaming pc for ~€ 1000

pcpartpicker.com/list/hr2dM8

This is what I got so far. Unfortunately the i5 6500 is around € 225 here and the 1060 € 300.

Thoughts?

When did WD get so bad and when did Toshiba suddenly not be as bad as Seagate?

>the i5 6500 is around € 225 here and the 1060 € 300
Smells like Jewmany...
If your build is not meant to OC it's wasting money.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier. I'm not opposed to changing any of the parts if you link me to better ones.

>case
No blue, no LEDs, no window. T5 has SSD mounts and a low number of external bays

>RAM
Could be that prices have changed. The Geil is usually the cheapest and has compatability with the mobo I selected. I updated RAM not too long ago. Also you have to compare 3000MHz to 3000MHz, not sure that you are.

>case
It's a safe choice.

>Powercolor
The warranty is fine and stays cheap. If you have a particular model that you think is better, list it.

>EVGA
It's a tiny, tiny number of cards

>PSU
I'll think about it for the 1070 build, since the 50W might come in handy considering the user could easily upgrade to a 300W card

>H110
Basically same price as B150 with fewer RAM slots. I've considered changing to H110 with a single stick 8GB RAM config. I figure it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.
>Higher quality Z170
The builds are the basics. If you're someone who's trying for insane voltage, you know what you need.

>Bottom line: your builds are disgusting shit and a waste of money
Bottom line: your criticism is minor and your opinions childish

It's all of the FTW evga 1070s and 1080 that lack the proper thermal connections
And a "safe" case choice can be made for $20

Forgot

>SSD
ADATA and PNY SSDs are right next to each other in screenshot, 81 vs 83, but I'll change those over if there's only a $4 difference

It's kinda a pain in the ass to keep everything updated, especially for something relatively minor like the difference between the SSDs. The important thing is to get a good price/GB with SSDs, so that means no 120GB drives.

pcpartpicker.com/list/K6sTFd

What do you guys think? First PC... Been using a shitty macbook pro for the last five years and I can't handle another day.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a recall of EVGA cards.

Link case with a good price history

I wanted to build this in a 5-gallon aquarium with mineral oil just for aesthetics. Is this worth it? Or is mineral oil a meme?

Come on you should know that a 480 is the better choice if you don't play GTA V 24/7

>1000W PSU

>mineral oil
>guts swim around using CPU cooler for propulsion

AMD is finewine technology it ages a lot better