Hi Sup Forums, /n/ here...

Hi Sup Forums, /n/ here. I am planning a bicycle tour through isolated country with no access to wall outlets & have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT8i to setup for navigation (along with paper maps). I will charge it from a Schmidt SONdelux Dynamo & Sinewave revolution with a std USB output. The phone hasn’t seen much use and seems in very good nic aside from the stock battery (BA750) which isn’t great anymore. It’s running android 2.3.4. I’ve never used a smartphone before. How should I set this phone up – android version, firmware, maps software? What battery should I put in it? Pic is my rig on a short 2 week tour to test stuff. Thanks for any advice.

help out a fellow autistic shut in

Honestly, since you have a dynamo, any settings to make the battery last longer wont matter too much.

The only thing you would really need a phone for is an emergency, so perhaps look around for a dedicated gps with an emergency button and see how much it costs.

Yeah the battery isn't a huge deal i'll probably just get a like replacement ($10).

I just did 2 weeks with an old brick i left off the whole time for emergencies. Paper maps, asking directions and just crashing in the bush whenever i get tired was fun but i want to prepare for international travelling and GPS maps would be nice for non English speaking countries where i have to plan campsites ahead of time. A dedicated Garmin or something would be cool but this was free.

I'm mostly asking about what updates to do to the phone and any good maps software, before i start setting it up and have to backtrack and reformat later.

I'd maybe do a sat phone one day. Met a dude in the backcountry with one and it seemed pretty cool. I bet they're fucking expensive though.

Is that a custom frame?

Nah, its a 2002 853 Gunnar Crosshairs 'cx' frame i got used for cheap. I just scraped most of the decals off with my library card and a hair drier.

If you're actually taking a "tour" you will pass by wall chargers constantly, you're not sleeping or what?
If you're on a road bike, you're on a road. 100% of the time that road will lead to electricity

>going outside and doing normal things
You disgust me

white people get to a point where they have everything and living in a first world is boring

they then spend all thier money trying to live homlessly and making it sound like a hobby

op i wouldnt give a homeless man a dollar, and i wont give you advice, you contribute nothing to the world

Considering white people built modern society it's ok if some of them want to get away from it all.

I like to ride at night when i have the road to myself, then just crash in the bush where ever when i get tired. In 2 weeks i only payed for 2 nights accommodation. One night on a strangers lawns. The rest was vagabonding, mostly in the bush, one night in this old abandoned hut i found. I'm heading to a remote mountain range for summer when my charger arrives from the US. I already have a dynamo hub running my headlight.

I had to waste money in a cafe and hangout for hours to charge my x1 every few days which sucked. I'm on a CX bike and often i'm not on a road.

This is not normal, everyone thinks it's crazy and impossible, and i spent the last 2 years as a shut in neet.

It's very normal and very common, which is why sleeping and charging your shot is the most widespread method of having power while riding
A dynamo will give you a shit load of drag, and likely get worse and worse each day it's used, which is why they're not popular for cross country tours
And don't bullshit me about mountain biking, having knobby tires doesn't mean you're going to be off road and off grid the entire time

I try to be a benevolent force everywhere i go, but you're basically right.

The main reason I am friendly or talk to anyone is out of self interest to get offered shit or have people to watch my stuff.

It sure beats the neet life though

Get a fatass battery pack, strap it to your bike rack, and charge everything when you sleep or rest

It's a top tier frictionless dynamo. Basically 2 races of electromagnets which spin each other. The drag is negligable and the internals of the hub are superior to any mid range non-dynamo offering. I don't notice it.

I didn't even mention mountain biking, but I ride a cyclocross frame, with very strong wheels, which is designed for racing on gravel, and i take it to very isolated places, often on tracks, not roads.

Dynamo hubs are extremely popular on cross country tours and i'm not inventing this shit, lots of people do it. In my country though, it's not normal at all.

I'm already self sufficient in terms of power, are you saying i should bin it all, stick to busy roads were i get passed by cars every 10 seconds and sleep in hotels every night?

Dynamo hubs have a history, but they're irrelevant now if you have access to power at least once a week, the drag is not negligible, it's not something you can "perfect" out of existence, each joule you're charging your battery with is a joule (or usually much more) lost in pedaling efficiency
I'm telling you, big battery, high amperage wall charger, once a week

>cyclocross is for racing on gravel
>has a steel frame road bike with aero bars, exposed cables and cantilever brakes
Yeeeeah bruh, life in the bush amirite

This thread is extremely helpful for reminding me of the assholes and the bullshit i'm getting away from.

Y'all don't know shit.

This
OP don't forget spare cables and housings (or just fully house your cables right now), tools and brake pads in addition to the dozens of tubes I'm sure you already brought
In fact bring everything bike related you own, if you're away from civilization for that long you don't want anything forcing you to walk for 10 miles

dont. know. shit

>Fresh out of high school European backpacking trip
>but with a $60 yard sale bike it's totally different and unique

Yeah everything I learned on my tours is pointless to you because you're in bumfuck nowhere, europe and have knobby tires
You're totally special and no other touring person can give you advice

Personally I would get a portable battery cell instead of another battery for the phone. For firmware it depends if your device came preloaded with rubbish from your telecommunication provider, otherwise it should be as good as it can get battery wise unless you have useless hog apps running i.e kik, playstore, facebook and so on. I wouldn't upgrade android on it, older devices always suffer battery life issues with newer OS versions but for maps there's an offline version I forget the name of it but it also allows you to track where you've gone and download maps for regions/areas

GPS's made for this exact purpose usually last days if not weeks, and charge fairly fast

thanks

Yeah the guy telling you to not use your phone and to get a discrete battery doesn't know shit

yea

This, electricity is one issue but you can't just ignore mechanical problems
This is not a cyclocross bike, this is not for dirt, dust or snow, this is a steel frame road bike
Get disk brakes and fully housed wires

Why does split housing even exist?
Shirley it can't be because bike manufacturers wanted to save 2¢ on cable housing while spending 2¢ on extra mounts?

you better shut your mouth

I –

>order fully charged battery to be delivered to your next stop via smartphone
That easy

to save weight and reduce friction

>save weight
Like 10 grams? It's maybe 3 feet less of housing. You could save more weight by leaving the candy bar at home
>reduce friction
But as soon as that bike hits dirt it's gonna have drastically worse friction, hell with fully housed cables you can just drop a drop of oil in them if it feels rough. Try doing that with split cables and you end up with cables full of unrepairable sludge if they aren't grinding full of rocks and dust already

And don't forget the 3 foot section of rust that eventually becomes your entire cable

Instead of treating myself to an inane argument, why don't you look this shit up and educate yourself?

I too enjoy having a few arbitrary nonsense opinions about stuff but i'm just suggesting a possible alternative.

You're the cause for your problems

>using a hipster modded race bike on hard terrain
fucking hipster yuros and their tour bullshit, bet you're german

I did, everything says that fully housed and split housed cables start off comparable, and split housing quickly becomes garbage while fully housed cables see less friction, wear, rust, and contaminants overall
Not to mention that any brakes and derailleurs made in the last 2 decades have more than enough tension to be completely fine through fully housed cables

I've never seen split housing on a high end bike of any kind

Oh yeah and the advantages said about split housing is you only have to replace half the housing if (when) it becomes shit, therefore not solving the problem and saving you 50¢!

yes
you could not be more wrong

She forgot her helmet how can she gofast?

So you've never seen a pre 11 spd road bike?

>THAT RUSTY CABLE

if you notice the crashed fork u gay

Be he's not on a road bike, he's specifically said that he's riding constantly through dirt, sand and off road trails

That picture is 20 years old, they didn't have helmets then.

Last I checked things were still running on 9 speed, and again, never saw split cables on high end bikes
But then again high end bikes didn't mean standardized steel frames either

Those things will never get old

I didn't say that, but y'all seriously do not know shit with your full length cable disc brake nonsense bullshit holy fuck you're so fucking stupid.

To start with, good discs are hydros and they can't be easily repaired. They are for preformance bikes and in terms of durability and versatility they are inferior.

I run indexed Dura Ace downtube shifters which can operate friction mode with any mech and any cassette and are easily the most durable shifter available, but youre fucking bullshit nonsense lets run indexed STIS or whatever that only work with series parts and REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE fucking Sup Forums telling me anything suck my dick

But you don't have hydraulic disk brakes you have a $60 yard sale steel bike with exposed cable and cantilevers
I mean use them if you want but if you claim that it's an off-road bike you're gonna get ridiculed

get a vr headset and a kids bicycle racing game

>can operate friction mode with any derailleur
With that amount of grinding and contamination, I believe it
>hating on indexed derailleurs
It's almost like you bought this bike just to be different, nobody would buy a steel frame fixie bike and take it on dirt just to be hip would they?

from the 9 speed era literally every high quality road, touring, cx and most mtbs have split cables and you would very very hard pressed to find a 9 speed era frame of any material superior to a handmade US 853 item.

>hydraulic lines less durable than cables
No. Fucking no. Stop posting until you look this up.
>more versatile
Yeah because you can buy cables anywhere when your lines can and will break, on the other hand I've been running my hydraulic brakes for 11 years with only one bleed of maintenance, they still work like the day I got them. My cable disk brakes on the other hand constantly get loaded with crap and I've had to change the cables several times
And my one bike that still has cantilevers? Well I gave up on that bike as a whole long ago

Show me a single high end mountain bike with split cables from the last 10 years.
>inb4 Google "mountain bike with split cable housing"

these frames are over a thousand US new

I run indexed, they just have a friction mode

i built it up with shit i like cos i like it and i still like it so i don't give a shit about what you like man, you do you

Hipster confirmed
Enjoy your moneyless european backpacking trip on your steel frame shit bike
And don't forget to charge your battery

10 speed came in 2003, 14 years ago.

cos you don't ride and you don't bash your shit

I'm not from Europe you retard

I will enjoy it, thanks

>$1000 new
>steel frame, no dampening, no disk brake OR inline rim brake mount, no full cable housing mounts
Holy shit what Jew is trying to pull this?
This frame is absolutely not worth even a fraction of that
For the whole bike maybe but that's a fucking overpriced frame

And fully housed cables came along as soon as friction became a non-issue, which was long before that
And you've never used hydraulic lines, I guarantee that. You also are riding a fucking steel frame bike gloried as some kind of cx wannabe, clearly you have no idea what durability is or why it's inportant

They lasted for all the mountain biking I've done, all the freeride, all the resort fuckery, all the crashes, all the regional races I've done, AND the two road tours I've taken
Don't throw around lies like that, hydraulic lines are without question more durable than cables (and longer lasting too, because of no cables)

One of the best builders in the world. This is their budget line with tig welds instead of lugs (functionally equivalent). You'd pay 2300 for the top Waterford frameset. It's worth it. I got my gunnar frame used for $150. As i said, you don't know shit.

It's a steel frame bike, I could literally MIG weld one myself out of tubes and threaded bolts. The steel frame market has been abandoned a decade ago and the only companies left are preying on the hipster market. And don't worry, Ive also bought a "$800 brand new" steel frame from a yard sale, they're more of the same than any other bike material out there, weigh more, and the stiffness is completely wasted on your dirt trail adventure
You're that guy who buys brooks seats aren't you?

>brooks seat

Looks like great fun. Congratulation on not being a shut in anymore.

Just remember you can't be a bicycle hobo forever. Eventually you'll need a real job.

Your knowledge is very very limited and specific to the kind of riding you've done. I don't know how you got the impression you're some hot shit cycle master but the gaps in what you understand are gaping caverns and you are embarrassing yourself trying to teach me anything.

I already got a helpful answer to what i asked about and thanks to that guy, so you can just shut up now.

This
OP you clearly know what you're doing, why even make this thread asking for better battery life on your smartphone?

Well unfortunately my riding experience is 11 years of casual and professional racing, and the 2 tours I did that involved off road riding have nothing to do with your tour that involves off road riding
Shirley you're taking all this abrasive information to heart and not just dismissing it because it's mean and anything that doesn't praise you and your massive intelect should be cast away as "haters"
Right?
Isn't that the backpacker on a steel bike way of thinking?

eh a guy told me not to update android which i was gonna do so the thread was worth it, also shoot the shit a bit is fun lol

you do you my man

Get f-droid and install their build of OsmAnd for offline maps if you expect to be out of cell range, or just don't want to use data.

cheers buddy i'll check it out

>tfw I got that same brooks b17.

Don't forget to bring some proofide!

Btw maybe look at cycledroid,it just werkz for me.