Will there ever be a more advanced operating system than UNIX?

will there ever be a more advanced operating system than UNIX?

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4507/how-many-cores-can-linux-kernel-handle
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

where are you that its -18 ?

current weather condition thread?

look @ what board ur on lol

Eat a dick

wow I thought this was /wg/ lmbo

gross

you wanna hax at me bro?

Yes

n-nice feet

what terminal is that?

iterm2

Linux! A modern linux distribution is more capable than any unix based system.

Unless you want to run more than 16 cores.

As shitposting as the macanon OP is he's technically right, there are no more advanced OS systems than... Solaris (actually Illumos it's open fork) as it can run massive amounts of cores

GNU

plan 9 duh
>linux
pig disgusting

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4507/how-many-cores-can-linux-kernel-handle

Linux = 4096 cores

...unless you want it to do any of the following:
>Run Adobe software natively
>Play ACTUAL VIDEO GAMES instead of Tux Racer
>Run packages from the internet and not have to recompile them in order for them to work
>Not lag the fuck out while multitasking on lightweight distrubutions
>Edit videos/audio files on it

>Who cares
>Steam says hi
>Doesn't happen on Arch :^)
>what the fuck are you on about
>Lightroom and Kdenlive say hi as well

D-E-S-K-T-O-P thread?

>wants to convince people of UNIX superiority
>posts screenshot of one of the worst UNIX based systems

that much fagotry. UNIX is #1 for high performance computing but OSX certainly isn't, considering that Apple only lets it run on outdated fagbooks

yes

>Who cares
I do.
>Steam says hi
I said actual video games, not $1 mobile game ports.
>Doesn't happen on Arch :^)
yet it happens on all other linux distros
>what the fuck are you on about
Try listening to a podcast on YouTube while trying to do something else on the computer. You'll see that YouTube stutters during playback in short periods.
>Lightroom and Kdenlive say hi as well
Looks like they brought some friends with them, let's see if they're actually useful and won't take up spa--
>components are all kde-related bloatware
Oh...

your dumb

nice desu ne

ty
ur wallpaper is cute

?

I don't own a mac. Not mine.

you dont have to own a mac to use macOS...

The largest Linux scale-up server is the new HP Kraken. It is a redesigned old Integrity Unix server with 64-sockets. The x86 version of the Integrity maxes out at 16-sockets only. Other than that, the largest x86 server is vanilla 8-socket servers by IBM, HP, Oracle, etc.

Unix/RISC and Mainframes have scaled to 64 sockets+ for decades. Nobody at kernel.org is working on more than 1-2 sockets either it's not like there are pro dev teams even trying to get linux to even 32.

>wow I thought this was /wg/
It kinda is.

You can run Adobe software with Wine pretty easily these days.

GNU/Linux has a lot of games. All Valve games run on GNU/Linux. But operating systems weren't created to run games.

Almost no mainstream packages require recompiling unless you're bleeding edge, which is your own choice.

The YouTube problem is probably something to do with your composite manager, not GNU/Linux.

Use Premier/Audition on Wine.

I can't leave Mac to use any linux distro at all, and I used to a few years ago. It's pretty damn comfy for me.

For instance, back in february I was running Xubuntu and managed to have at least something working for me. I was using Xtile to try to have some better window tiling working, but I gave up on that. Clementine was the best option for me as a music player, but I couldn't customize much of anything in it, other than the icons (which by default would display a gigantic internet icon). It's a good thing these things can be customized because defaults are really silly. Still I couldn't really make a good music library there and I resorted to the good old folder view which was only available there and in like 2 other music players. I give credit to fb2k for doing the folder view thing perfectly.

Clementine just wasn't what I wanted because I couldn't get a good setup going, yet I had tons of other features I would never need to use and couldn't really disable either. In that sense, MusicBee on windows being that bloated, still was more modular.

Anyways, then I tried to have notifications working for me on emails and calendar events. Whoops. Seems evolution ain't doing shit there. After looking for solutions, I was suggested using Gnome instead of XFCE. Went Gnome and I couldn't get notifications at all, even with the program open at all times in front of me. I gave up after a whole day of trying to get that shit to work and instead went back to XFCE and used the mailwatch plugin. It wasn't that good, I couldn't preview my emails, but I guess it worked. I would have to pass on the calendar notifications though, had to use my phone for that.

And I fiddled with Illustrator quite a bit, thought that it would run fine at this point on WINE. Nevermind that after one application crash, it wouldn't open anymore and the only solution was to reinstall. On a virtual machine it worked fine of course, but Illustrator wouldn't recognize Ctrl/Alt/Shift properly.

Anyways, the thing is, after a while I switched to OSX, it was weird to get used to at first. However I had most of that stuff fixed. In order:

-Tiling windows the way I wanted without shortcuts: Not built in at all, so this is not OSX being better. The thing is, I quickly learned that BetterTouchTool was a thing, and snap areas was exactly what I wanted. To drag a window to a specific spot on the screen and have it occupy the area that you set it to. Pretty convenient because the program has also window snapping so it ain't difficult to find the right dimensions without even using numbers.

-Music player: At first I thought I would have the same deal, workarounds everywhere and never get what I actually wanted. I recognized that the first flaw within iTunes was FLAC support, I don't use it but I can see how it is glaring. I don't support that. Still, figured out that I just had to copy folders somewhere and they'd get automagically added, tagging was pretty intuitive in case I needed it and smart playlists did the rest for me. I'm not saying this is what I wanted exactly, but a hell of a lot closer than clementine (despite like I said the lack of FLAC support). If I needed a folder view, I could use something else like Cog. Fuck, I could even use Clementine here if I so desired.

And notifications? Just added my google account (didn't even need to go to the settings for that, the moment I logged in through Safari it asked me if I wanted to) and then both Calendar and Mail apps worked just fine. Never missed a notification either despite having these programs closed.

What about Illustrator? Not only do I have a native version working, but Parallels fucking works well with the windows version and -does- allow me to use those keys if I need to.

So yeah, I guess I could eventually find a way to get all of this working on a linux distro, but it took me much less time to make it all work nicely in OSX than to make it work half assed on a linux distro.

No it isn't, but why did you post a pic of macOS instead of UNIX?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Hey OP, how do you even the fuckin rainbow gay OSX icon at the top? I thought there were no themes or anything for Sierra.

What's the benefit of UNIX?

Mac OS is UNIX.

I don't know if it's what's being used in the screenshot but I used to use Classic Menu for that. Can confirm it still works in El Capitan and I don't see why it wouldn't in Sierra.

Try KDE neon

I already did, but I couldn't get the thing to work without tearing unless I enjoyed really sluggish animations

Weird.
It works flawlessly on my laptop but every other animated DE (Gnome, Cinnamon, Mate, Budgie, Unity, etc) runs like shit.

OSX != Unix.

Unix like? Sure. But Unix itself is a brand and set of certifications.

>Unix itself is a brand and set of certifications.
And every Intel OS X version from 10.5 onward is certified to be compliant.