Apple Corporate

Employee stories from Applel's retail places are a snorefest, but surely there's one of you Macfags out there that works in their headquarters or somewhere else that isn't just retail. What's it like throwing away any prospect of a social life by working here?

its fine. it isnt really that different than any bay area job. people are just older and more stuck-up about working at apple

everyone drinks the kool-aid. im bitter because i wont be moving to campus 2 when it opens

not really able to share any other info

>not really able to share any other info
Bullshit

YFW you step out of the building

>What's it like throwing away any prospect of a social life by working here?
Do they have to work over 40 hours a week while on salary? Why would anyone do this? It's not like you're paid hourly so you get paid for the extra hours you work. Literal slavery.

>why would anyone work more than 40 hours if you don't have to

Don't worry, you'll never have this problem because you're never going to make it, lazy cunt.

>everyone drinks the kool-aid

Dealbreaker right there m8, no point in getting worked hard if you can't at least bitch about it.

It's called being NDAed to death.

I work from home mostly but travel to the Elk Grove campus frequently.

We basically do nothing but shoot the shit on how to fix two factor for devices as most of our customers are stupid and use it with their phone being the only trusted device.

It's also troublesome because for some reason the higher ups are making it harder and harder to opt out of two factor.

Apple is filled with warring ideologies and it's just dumb to handle.

>Apple is filled with warring ideologies
Expand.

I don't work for apple, but I do work for another large high profile Bay Area company. Some people work 60 hour weeks, but I sure as hell don't. I put in 40-45 hours and that's it. Sometimes I don't even work 35 hours. Get your shit done, no one really cares.

Not him, but I live in the bay area, work in tech, know people at apple, google, ms (interned at MSR for a bit), etc...

Companies take disclosure really seriously, and something as stupid as posting on Sup Forums would be like a career suicide note. Sup Forums tracks your IP address and would almost certainly give it up to Apple's lawyers without a serious fight. As far as anyone can tell, Sup Forums has never engaged in a prolonged legal battle to defend the anonymity of its users.

There's a very strong culture in Silicon Valley that you should be happy, and that it's your fault if you're not. You have all the education you need. You have the skills. If you're employed, you're a "known quantity", making it much, much easier to find new work elsewhere if you don't like your job. So in theory you should be perfectly content where you are and have no reason whatsoever to want to leave.

I say all of this to illustrate why there's a strong cultural bias toward working 60+ hour weeks, burning the candle at both ends, going to company hackathons, etc...

The people willing to take real measures to sandbox their jobs from their home/personal lives tend to move somewhere else, like Seattle (specifically, MS). Microsoft has an amazing corporate culture (especially in Seattle) that actually looks down on people who continually pull late nights. I have no idea how it happened or how it persists. Somehow they just instilled this world view that you should be going home and playing with your kids or having hobbies or whatever. You should have a work–life balance. And I distinctly remember how nutty that felt when I started up in Seattle, because my whole professional life was down here in the bay area where everyone acts like meth addicts (although to be fair a lot of people are on amphetamines).

That's why you use proxies, idiot. Of course if you're being a fucking retard and you're posting from Apple you're kind of asking for it so you'd be beyond help anyway.

Salaried jobs can be glorious and a plague, it depends on the field you're in and the specific place you're at. I've got one friend who makes ~$6/h and another who basically gets paid to golf.

install gentoo on your work computer

Did you not see the first line where I said I wasn't him?

And you don't need to be posting from Apple HQ to incriminate yourself, you idiot. For one thing, it's 2:30 in the fucking morning in California. What kind of fucking nutcase would be at Apple HQ right now posting on Sup Forums? What kind of idiot would even assume that in the first place?

Let's ignore for the moment that if the OP used his personal IP address initially, then connected to a proxy, incriminating server logs would still point to him initially. It'll register as two IP addresses — one from his home and one from some unknown place — but if you think that'll flummox Apple then you're unbelievably naive. So let's pretend that he hasn't made that mistake and he's been browsing Sup Forums through a proxy in anticipation of someone asking him to spill his guts about secrets at Apple.

Let's also ignore that Apple's NDA probably gives them authority to investigate employees for stuff like this. Your company might not enforce its NDA aggressively, but Apple and most other large tech companies do. They consider it corporate espionage.

Anything he says is going to be relevant to him personally, as in if he knows about iMacs he's going to tell you about iMacs, and Apple's lawyers will be able to figure out that they should start collecting depositions from everyone who works in the iMac group. He'll crack, or slip up, and when he gets fired nobody will ever hire him again. Because at best he's a loser who divulges company secrets on Sup Forums, and at worst he's a reckless loose cannon who divulges company secrets on Sup Forums.

>Did you not see the first line where I said I wasn't him?
Do I give a shit?
>Let's ignore for the moment that if the OP used his personal IP address initially
Oh no, an IP address, what are they gonna do? Throw an autistic fit at the ISP to try and get them to give up something? They're not the fucking Mossad.
>and Apple's lawyers will be able to figure out that they should start collecting depositions from everyone who works in the iMac group.
Get real. They're not going to be interviewing hundreds of people, it's a waste. If it were some guy from Jony's design club or that car project where there would be at most maybe two dozen people, then you would have a valid point. Otherwise, all they can do is put down bait.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you're one of those retards that are part of their "corporate police" or whatever the hell you call it who lead miserable lives trudging boards like Sup Forums while also making everyone else's social lives a fucking hellhole, in which case fucking hang yourself.

Gay sex. ALL. DAY. LONG.

>You have all the education you need. You have the skills. If you're employed, you're a "known quantity", making it much, much easier to find new work elsewhere if you don't like your job.

Why don't more people make their own start ups?

>im bitter because i wont be moving to campus 2 when it opens
you can still roam the sacred halls the ghost of steve is haunting.

>Do I give a shit?
I mean if you don't then you're posting a lot.

As for what they can do, they can fire you for cause. This isn't a court. They don't need to subpoena anyone or determine you're guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. They might have to fight you in court, but you'll lose to their legal team.

The last bit of your post just sounds like conspiratorial nonsense. The whole point of my original post was that it's incredibly risky and equally unrewarding to talk about anything under the NDA. There are so many things Apple can do to string you up, and there's nothing interesting enough to say that's worth saying here rather than to someone at a real journalism outfit.

Lots of reasons:
- small startups are incredibly stressful. you don't just spend 70 hours a week working one week because you're into it. you're doing it every week because the whole fucking place is metaphorically on fire.
- investors don't like a) shitty ideas, or b) good ideas for cottage industries. as a result, getting investors is hard and you have to raise often (usually more often than you like, if you just want to work on shit).
- startups tend to fail, and it's hard to quantify what you did in a company that doesn't exist anymore, especially at that stage (it's easy to say what your job is if you serve on a massive ship; when you're in a dinghy your job is just this nebulous "be in charge")

>and there's nothing interesting enough to say that's worth saying here rather than to someone at a real journalism outfit.
Bullshit, and you know it.

>The last bit of your post just sounds like conspiratorial nonsense.
>conspiratorial nonsense
Wow, what a way to out yourself.
>oh fuck I've been discovered
>what do
>inner (You): go full libtard and write him off as a conspiracy theorist spouting nonsense
>amazing idea
>I'm not a robot
>Post
No wonder you reached right for the "CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!!" button, California's libtards must be getting to you.

Go fuck yourself. Also:
>fucking hang yourself.

>Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>Comment too long
Take the hint, kiddo

Come on, you know you wanna unleash that autistic fit that your superiors have told you to do whenever you're spotted. There's no point pissing away everyone's time here, some of us have actually valuable things to do.

Oh, bother, it looks like you were captured by your superiors because you outed yourself in that stupidly obvious fashion since you haven't performed your fit. Oh well, you won't be missed by anyone because that's exactly the life you led.

I interviewed at apple. Seemed okay. The interview process sucks ass though. It was like 20 hours in person over 3 days. Some of it took place in the rooms in the left wing in OPs pic, which are external facing interview rooms, because of course you can't actually go inside the secret sauce. Except for the lunch area through the main doors.

Felt pretty meh. Got an offer but turned it down because it wasn't worth quite as much as another one I had, and also because the teams I was chosen for were not super hype for me (iPhone related sw eng stuff), and the location is ehh

subscribe to my blog at twitch(doot)tv/user

Can you smell "the smell" from Tim's office a few floors away?