I got a 4k tv for Christmas, what video card should I be looking to get?

Can I get away with just getting a 1070 or should i save a bit more and get a 1080?

None, 4K is still a meme at this point.
Wait till Vega or whatever comes after that for each Brand.

Volta I guess is what it's called for Nvidia.

without AA, the 1080 barely gets to 60 in some games. the 1080Ti or Vega might be worth looking into, currently there's no way to play at 4k buttery smooth with one card

Not OP. If I just want 1080p max, should I get a 1070 or would 1060 be enough?

The 1060 and 480 were both marketed as 1080p killers

But that was just marketing
What you should do is look up some benchmarks and after that, read the sticky or take this to /sqt/

honestly i'm mostly want play skyrim/fallout with mods in 4k and racing games, maybe some other older rpgs.

i don't play many aaa games anyways, the closest is assassin's creed

Just fucking google some benchmarks and make inferences from there.

Wait for Vega/1080 Ti. Soon

>titan x barely able to give you 60fps @4k on CURRENT games

>wait for 1080ti

are you fucking serious

just don't expect a good gaming experience with 4k currently, especially compared to 144hz monitors

when am I going to be able to buy this fucking thing?
They announce it tomorrow right? When does it start selling though? Do they usually unlock sales the second its announced or am I going to wait even longer?

Wait and see if it is worth buying first. It is being revealed tomorrow.

They might release it at CES itself. In which case expect a week or so before it you can buy it.

Don't get fucked by price gougers if it turns out to be very popular at launch.

Ive never bought a video card before, what do I need to look for?

1080ti is minimum.

If you can't wait, the pascal TITAN X is your only option.

4k is a meme for gaming. You can have 4k or you can have 60FPS but right now you can't have both even with 2xTitan X unless you only play older games.

>I got a 4k tv for Christmas
Stick to movies, current 4k TVs have trash input lag.

I can't believe how people keep falling for the 4k meme.

Neither of those cards can run anything in 4k at smooth framerates, you should wait for nVidia 1380ti at this rate.

Never, ever, use a TV for gaming.

Generally weigh up benchmarks and see if the price is right for you.

It's a safe bet that performance will be somewhere between the 1080 and Titan X Pascal, and so will price. Whether it's a good deal or a cockslap depends on where in that gap it falls. I'm hoping for 90-95% relative performance for no more than $800.

The 980 Ti was great because it offered performance very near to Titan levels at 2/3 the price.

Another factor, if you want a factory overclocked card or a card with a better cooler then you'll have to wait a little longer for board partners like ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte etc to produce them. You can always buy a reference card and OC it yourself but you'll probably want to change the default noisy blower cooler if you want to push it hard or run quiet.

Im way to tired to get into oc video cards..
I just want to do vr and Im a turbo jew so I dont want to upgrade for many years but still want god tier performance later on.

at this point in time, does the 1080 ti sound like the right thing for me

>at this point in time, does the 1080 ti sound like the right thing for me

Probably but we won't know until tomorrow. A lot depends on the price. A 1080 will do VR no problem but it would be stupid to buy a 1080 now if the 1080 Ti turns out to be a better deal. Conversely if the 1080 Ti is $900 then fuck that noise, just get a 1080.

1070 is on the safe side. 1060 is fine if you upograde regulary.

>Conversely if the 1080 Ti is $900 then fuck that noise, just get a 1080.
If they fail with the 1080 tis price:performance ratio Im probably going to cheap out with the most capable $200 card and probably go with amd just out of spite.
been waiting way to long for this shit.

Thanks for the info

Even the 1080 won't do. Your TV will be useless for its economical life time.

this