/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>mfw freetards spouting out all MUH FREEDUMB but using botnet google captcha to post on a closed source proprietary imageboard software

I'm happy that there is no stupid Sup Forums users.

True, true. And Stallman himself told that he is not using social network, so we shouldn't be here.

They are forcing their agenda on people in the thread, despite a large number not even using gnu for their userland

These people don't use cat, ls, and rm ect? Their NonGNU Linux distro wasn't built with gcc? Fascinating tell me more about this fictional universe.

I have a qBittorrent issue. When I download only specific files out of a large torrent, qB creates a shitton of files that I didn't create.

I remember that before qB created .unwanted-xxxxx folder but after recent updates, it stopped doing that. I don't even even if there's an option for it in Settings (I have looked).

Anyone know what's going on?

>2017
>unironically using linux

>I have a qBittorrent issue.
yeah, you're using linux.
>Anyone know what's going on?
yup, linux is known for breaking stuff.

>freebsd also has gnushite installed on it because it uses cat, ls, rm
typical gnutard. i didn't know such levels of tech illiteracy were even possible
lmao

where the fuck are the mods? why isn't this asshole being reported? he completely destroyed previous /fglt/.

Wow! Didn't know GNU made Unix as well. This is pretty interesting.

this isn't your little safespace. you can fuck off now.

You complete misunderstand the purpose of freedom and free software. Sup Forums is not a computer program running on my computer. Google Captcha is not a computer program running on my computer. My freedom is about computer programs that I run on my computer.

Yes, google captcha is proprietary software. You execute proprietary code on YOUR machine every single time you make a post. so much about "freedom"

how are you posting here without accessing Sup Forums?

You do realize busybox is still gnu coreutils right? Look in /bin tell me what you see there. Is it full of formerly proprietary AT&T unix programs that were rewritten like cp? That's called gnu coreutils.

Unless you're using a BSD, then you're using Berkeley Software Distribution coreutils but the entire userland is still compiled with gcc unless it's FreeBSD. Even Illumos(Solaris) variants are still using gcc.

>being this fucking tech illiterate
typical gnutard. back to your subreddit, "bruh"

I'm at my fucking wits end with mpd
I can't get it to work remotely with pulse audio
the error is
pulse_output: Failed to enable "Pulse Output" [pulse]: pa_context_connect() has failed: Connection refused

>You do realize busybox is still gnu coreutils right?
lmao. no you fucking retard. i use musl and busybox. there isn't a single gnushit program on my computer.
>but the entire userland is still compiled with gcc unless it's FreeBSD
really? how can you make such a claim without knowing what distro i use (if any)
now fuck off to your subreddit, tech illiterate gnutard.

Linux doesn't have good enough sound support yet. Might wanna try out Windows since it has basic features like being able to play sound remotely.

Will connecting a USB flash drive/HDD that's maybe infected with windows malware, to a machine that's running linux with WINE installed, could lead to WINE running the malware by itself?

You are confusing the difference between a network service and a computer program running on my machine.

Why would you even use WINE? Just install pure windows and maybe install Linux on another drive to play with it once in a while. It's a toy OS and isn't meant for primary use.

I want unix on my pic related, should I install lignux or fucking hackintosh

how are you accessing Sup Forums without somehow interacting with it on your computer?
i don't visit infected sites by the way, i can't trust it to not upload something malicious to my machine.

Lincux isn't even close to unix. Hackintosh is clearly the better option, it's even better than OS X I would say.

If Wine implements the subroutines used by the malware, then it is theoretically possible to infect your Linux machine. In practise, Wine doesn't automatically run anything. You have to instruct Wine into running it manually. Even if you do get infected, it's easy enough to delete your fake Windows directory and start with a fresh Wine environment.

Why do your morals and ethics mean so little?

busybox is GPL as it's derivative work of Gnu Coreutils.

You're still a Gnufag, fag.

LIBRED.COM

I couldn't care less about the GPL since it isn't software. It's a pretty good license. I just don't want any GNUshite running on my system and these days it's pretty easy to achieve.

Apple users like you can fuck right off. Just sayan.

I don't use Apple software or hardware though. I don't really like it but it's still better than Linux.

I am accessing Sup Forums as a network service. I retrieve Sup Forums web pages and I can run my own program to process how the web pages look. This is the theory of how Sup Forums mobile apps work. I use this same theory to write my own Javascript programs that run on top of Greasemonkey.

I see, so you indeed use proprietary software. Why do your morals and ethics mean so little?

>Why do your morals and ethics mean so little?
What did he mean by this?

Damn man, you might want to get off Sup Forums. It seems it is emitting some sort of negative proprietary energy and its making you mad

Once again, you are confused about the difference between network services and computer programs running on my machine.

You're damn right I'm mad. Mad about freedom!

this thread is garbage
you all suck and should kys

Sometimes the truth is hard to understand. The reality is, you are using proprietary software simply by virtue of being here.

busybox?

what sort of retarded question is this?

That is impossible because Sup Forums doesn't send me any computer programs.

busybox?

Fat kike stallman wants it to be a crime to sell proprietary software or DRM. BSD is true freedom.

But it breaks your morals,even if you arent using a computer you own. Or are you that weak willed?

I'm currently on OS X. Give me one reason to switch to Linkeks.

Install BSD or Plan9.

Windows - kinda shitty, but still fine.
BSD - good UNIX-like OS.
OS X - best OS, the true successor to UNIX.

Anybody who unironically uses Lincux should kill themselves though.

I don't care what other people do with their computers. Their computer is not my responsibility. I only care about the programs running on my computer.

If I go to my bank's ATM and find that it's running on Windows and Adobe Flash, that has no effect on me because I don't own the bank's ATM nor do I rely on this ATM to do my computing. If I go to my job and they need me to use Microsoft Office, that has no effect on me because I don't own those computers. I do not conduct my personal business on those computers, I am conducting my employer's business so therefore it is my employer who is responsible for those computers. If they ask me to install Microsoft Office on my personal computer, then I will refuse for they have no right to ask me to do that.

But you hate proprietary software so much, you spot FREEDUMBZ yet you're using prop rotary software.

hi there i like linux and not so much windows or bsd or osx :)

Didn't this used to be one of the first things you learn on a unix system? I could've sworn I read that on like the philosophy page or something.

Anyway, I had my parabola all set up and ready, just needed to partition the drive and sync it all up when I decided to test the drive by writing a random dump file to it but wrote to a log file using /dev/loop so X crashed on me and I didn't know about CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE until a few minutes ago.

If I hadn't just said it to myself, I would've said to you guys that this is actually kind of fun.

Linux is straight up trash though. Stop using it.

I hate being restricted to control my own computer and sharing the software that I rely on. I do not rely on other people's computers to do my own computing. My operating other people's computers to do their computing has no effect on my freedom.

one word

/dev/

Why are you here?
>If Wine implements the subroutines used by the malware, then it is theoretically possible to infect your Linux machine
I know that.
>Wine doesn't automatically run anything.
That's good to hear.
So whatever methods of auto running malware uses under windows, it doesn't work with WINE/Linux, is that right?
Unless I run the malware myself?

could an anime poster tell me off for using linux please

>2017
>he still isn't using BSD

>So whatever methods of auto running malware uses under windows, it doesn't work with WINE/Linux, is that right?
Unless I run the malware myself?
Modern versions of Windows will not automatically run things by default. You have to reconfigure your Windows system to allow this feature to happen.

Wine doesn't autorun anything at all. There is no Wine mechanism to run autorun.inf when you connect a removable storage device.

>Why are you here?
To tell you not to use Lintrash.
Hypocrite
:^)

>If I go to my job and they need me to use Microsoft Office, that has no effect on me
You still need to use that shitty piece of software then.

>If I go to my bank's ATM and find that it's running on Windows and Adobe Flash, that has no effect on me
Really? I'd be scared.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

>Wine doesn't autorun anything at all
So it's safe to plugin and mount USB flash drives/HDD on a linux machine to retrive some files like pictures and movies.
As long as I don't run masterplan.vbs

No, it's reality. Its a legit argument.

You're conflating the issue of whose computing are you running. I'm only responsible for my own personal computing running on the computers that I own. Operating other person's computer does not imply that I am doing my computing on that computer.

For example I won't be going to my public library to calculate my taxes that I have to pay to the taxman. My computing in this scenario is the calculation of my taxes. If I go to my public library and operate those computers to search the library index for a book, I'm not doing my computing on them. I would be doing the library's computing while I am the operator. Whether I am personally the operator or the librarian is the operator will not change the fact that it is the library's computing that happens when I need to find a book.

Why do your morals and ethics mean so little?

Exactly.

>Why do your morals and ethics mean so little?
What did he mean by this?

Tell me, why are you so obstinant about degrading bsd?

As long as you provide input or read the output it is your computing. You're not responsible for the computing itself, but the results may affect you so yes the computing should be relvant to you.

I like the free Berkley System Distributions. They're (mostly) free software so I'm pretty happy with them.

That's it, I'm done with everything FSF, GNU, etc...

Promoted by a literal autist communist sociopath faglord.

>As long as you provide input or read the output it is your computing
This is where I disagree. This is related to the issue of network services. Programs and services are different kinds of entities and deserve different kinds of consideration.

Freebsd is literally the best. BSD is true freedom.

(((FSF))) is trash
Not open source and free software, just FSF

Thank senpai

The problem is that you seem to think that "computing" would in any form mean "running software on a system"

Thanks user.
I've obtained old HDDs for cheap and want to set it as a RAID for a mini-server in my dorm.

No, Richard, it's 'Legs', not 'Chair/Legs'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Legs were the creation of the GPL and the GCC cushion. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Sitting Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

That's exactly what computing means. Software = computing. The issue of freedom in software is all about the software running on my personal computer(s). Other people's computers are not my responsibility.

I see, so why are you preaching your crap everywhere? Are you this autistic in real life as well?

I can do my computing in my head.
I can do my computing using pen & paper
I can do my computing using network services
I can do my computing using software running on my machine.

Sure, running software on a machine is related to computing, since that how running software works, but they are not synonyms.

Stop abusing the term computing.

Exactly. "Computing" was a thing long before computers were.

What do you use to edit metadata for audio/video files on linux?

I don't. It's complete shite. Try out windows instead or even better OS X

reporting doesn't work, mods don't care

Could I ask what are you referring two?

Why are you lurking this thread?
Nobody invited to the new year party, and you're venting hear?

Welp, R.I.P. /fglt/.

I want to bring more users to better operating systems
>Nobody invited to the new year party, and you're venting hear?
Why?!

just dont reply

who are you refering too?

Doesn't matter, he'll just start samefagging.

>go to bed
>2 hours later
>cant sleep
>wakeup computer and check /fAglEt/
>all these cool animes
fucking guys are having too much fun without me!

i don't understand who your talking about! please explain!!!

now post anime too, fag :(

just wait, everyone needs some sleep :^)