/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=221369
youtu.be/AzebnJkfdvM
ghacks.net/2017/01/04/major-stylish-add-on-changes-in-regards-to-privacy/
p.teknik.io/mxx8w
gist.github.com/ahodesuka
example.com/*
cs.cmu.edu/~rjsimmon/15411-f15/schedule.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install gentoo

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=221369

On you finish your broccoli, then you can have all the gentoo you want.

?

Is GNU/Hurd ever going to be a thing

probably in a few years.
there are still people working on it though it's noones priority since GNU actually found a replacement kernel for it's system.

Too bad it's 2 decades late to make any impact whatsoever.
Hurd in itself was absolutely goat.

youtu.be/AzebnJkfdvM
>Secretaries using emacs
>anybody with a job using free shit

>Hurd in itself was absolutely goat.
then why isn't it being used over the linux kernel?
Why does only debian come with Hurd?

they don't teach reading comprehension in elementary school anymore?

who are you quoting?

sorry, i was busy listening to and left out one key aspect of the question
What makes it so GOAT compared to any other *nix kernel?

reminder to disable addon updates in your browser
ghacks.net/2017/01/04/major-stylish-add-on-changes-in-regards-to-privacy/

Hi,

I'm using elementary OS which have Nautilus as a file browser.

I can mount my samba share, and read files etc, but i cant access the files in other aplications, like qbitorrent and Firefox.

I have already set the permission in Elementary OS to 777 since file permissions on the share is handled on the server, still cant access the share in other applications.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

fix your font rendering, holy shit

>disable addon updates
Nope, you uninstall that shit if you still have it.

Updated OP pasta
p.teknik.io/mxx8w

Why no install Sup Forumsentoo option?

so what if another addon decides to add botnet?

it's architecture.

you have one microkernel which manages only the most basic kernel services.
everything else runs on top of the kernel as a server.

everything is kept separate, which implies greater security
reliability is great because one server crashing does not make the entire system shit the bed, you just restart the server (MINIX 3 had a feature like that).

same goes for drivers.

You could write kernel servers/modules/drivers without having to possess an in-depth knowledge on how the rest of it works.

Just "plug it in" to an existing "Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons"

wasn't there in the first place

i fail to see what's wrong with it.

Ah, so a more hackable kernel

Why won't the proprietary Nvidia drivers work in Debian Stretch?

>install Linux headers
>install nvidia-driver and nvidia-settings
>reboot
>still using nouveau driver
>run nvidia-settings, it tells you to run nvidia-xconfig
>install nvidia-xconfig and run it
>reboot
>X won't start at all

This used to work perfectly in Jessie. I'd use Jessie but the latest nvidia-driver for Jessie is so old that it doesn't support my card.

The Debian wiki doesn't say anything about what to do in Stretch to get the driver working.

Next time don't use a NVidia card.

did it finish or what

yes

if there's not a red

ERROR : Couldn't make ********* line xxx; ERROR [error name]

it finished

I got a really weird question

How do I make it so that when I open a new folder window I get a different background in the folder window. I want it to be like I'm moving around in the environment by "mapping" the "sectors" hahahahahah

haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha
hahhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

Yeah.
Two reasons why it didn't succeed
>mismanagement resulting it being greatly outpaced by linux in a short period of time
>at the time the performance impact of running a microkernel was just too big (microkernel switches between kernel mode and user mode all the time).

It's architecture would even stop FSF from complaining about MUH PROPRIETARY FIRMWARE because it would've been very easy to simply distribute driver modules in binary form.

Just imagine.
A world where youre using a fully free as in freedom kernel.
And you install new hardware drivers just by plopping a file in the right place on your HDD.
and start them without even having to reboot

just fucking grep the ls for -x11

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 445 Jan 4 20:44 gdk-x11-2.0.pc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 396 Jan 4 20:44 gtk+-x11-2.0.pc

Dude, you made me cum.

There it is!

sorry, i'm not really into free as in freedom, so this might be a noobish question, but aren't there already deblobbed linux kernels?

aaaaand what the fuck that has to do with anything?

learn to read

I forgot to apply the FUCKING PATCH

what distro u on?

ubuntu 16.04

>Just imagine.
>A world where youre using a fully free as in freedom kernel.
learn to read

I will think on this. I'm not super great with linux but I think I can figure this out.

Did your parents gift you with an additional chromosome?

I have already spent some time reading through the readLine() documentation and got to imagining it all that way. I don't really know how to approach the kernel yet but the idea of it just gets me so hott.

you need to have gvfs installed.

qbittorrent and firefox are not network aware applications.

ok so, patch applied
gist.github.com/ahodesuka
compiled
installed
~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep gtk+
ii gtk+2.0 2.24.30-2 amd64 CUSTOMBUILD GTK

but no thumbnails

pls dont tell me I have to recompile everything else too

did you patch and recompile glib too?

Your schreenshot is full of thumbnails

Thanks gonna try that, was tugging my hair with permissions and similar..

no
I want bigger thumbnails, like in the file explorer icon view, for the file picker

>bigger thumbnails
hahaha use KDE if you don't want to be stuck with the retarded GTK file picker

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

unironiacally gentoo

nonfree pig disgusting

If that's too much and you aren't going to be hardcore abot it give Pixel OS a try. It's cute as fuck.

But really it's not shabby at all.

is it really the best distro? if so why?

Yes.

Try it and see for yourself. Or, try Antergos, then Arch when you are ready.

gentoo/HURD then :^)

It's a meme. It sells itself as simple and lightweight while in reality it's the opposite. The userbase is a bunch of freedom hating teenagers who feel somehow 1337 for copypasting some wiki commands.

bloated, insecure trash

>he couldn't install arch

Thanks for confiming the cringe.

>The userbase is a bunch of freedom hating teenagers who feel somehow 1337 for copypasting some wiki commands.
guess that's just some winkeks running arch in a vm in order to be cool, not everyone is like that, I actually try to keep nonfree shit to the minimum

the bloat is what makes arch simple, it's called convenience

arch is nice, just ignore the bad part of the userbase

patched, compiled, installed glib
no change

$# dpkg -l | grep CUST
ii glib2.0 2.48.1-2 amd64 CUSTOMBUILD GLIB
ii gtk+2.0 2.24.30-2 amd64 CUSTOMBUILD GTK

but now I know how to compile things

looks like I was just looking in the wrong place, Firefox 50 already uses GTK 3

well "icon view" works in Gimp and inkscape, but thumbnails don't but some people commented about that in the github gist

Use Greasemonkey.
// ==UserScript==
// @name example
// @include example.com/*
// @version 1.0
// @grant GM_addStyle
// @grant GM_getResourceText
// @resource exampleFile path/to/example.css
// ==/UserScript==
GM_addStyle(GM_getResourceText("exampleFile"));

That's it.

Hurd is part of the GNU project. You can say just GNU for the entire operating system or Hurd if referring to the kernel.

>when you theme so hard xorg crashes and xfce shits the bed

no, i mean GNU/Hurd specifically
GNU can also be assumed to be running the Linux kernel
Hence my being so specific

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

dude omg ur so funny i've never seen this pasta before teach me pls

For some reason, the Ubuntu Software program ain't opening for the last few days, and I've no idea why. Either way, what's the most recommended office software for Ubuntu? Libre Office is lacking too much of the stuff that I got used to use in Botnet 10.

Libre Office or use something decent (as in no office software)

Post useful shell scripts

> (as in no office software)

It was more of a catch-all term, I need my not-excel spreadsheets and docs with plenty of format features, and Libre Office is just too basic.

software center? it's shit, open a terminal and do sudo apt-get install synaptic
as for office just use google docs

This classic pasta. Also people misunderstand Stallman. He thinks in terms of decades/centuries. When he sat around staring at proprietary AT&T Unix realizing that if he didn't do anything there would never be a way to run your own free OS and forever we would be in walled prisons he remedied this by creating GCC which is more than a monumental effort, without it there wouldn't be Linux, wouldn't be BerkeleySD distros, no Illumos because Open Solaris had a proprietary compiler, ect.

Sure we have LLVM now, but what will you do when Intel/AMD/hardware mfg make an agreement with LLVM that only a proprietary module can be leased in order to compile code against their CPU? We can still run all the lisp we want on those systems but the underlying actual OS will be proprietary and spying on everything you do.

>do sudo apt-get install synaptic
Thanks.

> just use google docs
But what if I don't want the botnet to read my gay fanfiction and backlog progress?

>For some reason, the Ubuntu Software program ain't opening for the last few days, and I've no idea why.
start it from the terminal, if you see something concerning, file a bug report.

>Either way, what's the most recommended office software for Ubuntu? L
Libre Office

>Libre Office is lacking too much of the stuff that I got used to use in Botnet 10.
Like what?

>wouldn't be Linux,
There were various other userlands in existance at the time. If not gcc something else would have been used

but if the botnet doesn't read them, then who will? you want followers don't you? but seriously if you're too paranoid for google docs then I guess give wps office a shot

gcc is the compiler which enabled Linus to even distribute his kernel, at the time no free compilers existed and patents threatened to sue you out of existence if you used their software to build your free software.

Stallman got together people like Knuth, Sussman/Abelson (who are all old FSF members) and the MIT hacker lab to build his new compiler. He also worked on it something like 12hrs a day for a year straight. Nobody else was going to do this, ever.

LLVM/CLANG is a great improvement on this early work but there will always be a threat of mfg selling proprietary build modules meaning you can't make anything to run on their system without getting auth and paying fees.

So, you want some most basic shit but Libre Office is too basic?
I call bullshit on this.

>this task was monumental and if my hero didn't do it then it would never have gotten done
you got some stars in your eyes bruh

Nvm, I'm a retard who didn't try Libre Office enough to see all it's features. Thanks for the help either way.

Have you taken one compiler class?
cs.cmu.edu/~rjsimmon/15411-f15/schedule.html

Finish that attempt to make your own gcc for just one arch (or a Haskell compiler, or even the Golang compiler). Now spend a year debugging what you've written and read the entire Art of Computer Programming series by Knuth in order to optimize it. That should take you about 6 years. Come back and post your new compiler

>you personally can't do it so no one else could have performed said task, not even the other people at the time who were headed in that direction
he only got there first bruh. there was never a need for more than one open source compiler to exist, so of course the first working compiler would become the only one, but it's not the monumental task you think

Don't reply to him, he's a rectally annihilated BSD faggot that comes here everyday and once he get shat on by everyone asks "why do they persecute me so I just wanted a discussion on reeeeel unix"

I'll save you the trouble of reading through his post and give you a tl;dr of what you'll learn today
>rms is a toejam eating communist kike
>gpl is more restrictive than proprietary licenses (communism too)
>bsd license is true freedom
>openBSD is the apogeo of operating systems and it works on 99% of the hardware he tried it on so you should try it out too
>it's so robust, safe and beautiful he doesn't understand why it's not the leading operating system on this planet because theo personally reviews and tests every character of the code
>btw sony used it for playstation but closed the code so eh still massive success
>theo dindu nuffinz
>not having software actually doesn't matter

Here I just saved you a solid hour of your life.

i have xubuntu 14, can i upgrade to 16 without losing all my installed programs, home folder and so on? and how?

holy shit dem tiddies!

>he's a rectally annihilated BSD faggot that comes here everyday
That is of course every BSD thread on Sup Forums ends up in them bickering with every neet and Sup Forumsedditor who pops by to have a laugh.

>GNU can also be assumed to be running the Linux kernel
It cannot.

You do it by normally installing but during the partitioning part of the installation process you select your /home partition to NOT be ereased and instead be kept as-is

like in mah animes

It's just systemd, which can run any kernel and any userland.

There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of it's kernels.

>shitposting

It was about timing. Right when gcc was released SunOS was selling proprietary compilers, and the exact timing of gcc being available started the free software movement because you could download SunOS parts and compile them with gcc to hack and change the system. It was Linus who was doing this, hacking together his own system on SunOS with gcc which led to him deciding to write his own kernel.

bsd
malloc
busybox
qlibc

nice "replacements" to copy the gnu system

gnu was a replacement for existing userlands at the time :^)