/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128841
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231888
pcpartpicker.com/list/t3c9nn
pcpartpicker.com/list/c8vBFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/vhtMXH
amazon.com/SIENOC-USB3-0-Female-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B00O0HC3Y0/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B24V738CWHM96392WY5E
pcpartpicker.com/list/LDQbyf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for my 4.8GHz i3 6100 beating Kaby Lake i3 $7350Ks

Gonna be ordering newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128841

Hows newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231888 for RAM?

Also are there any good CPU+RAM deals combos I should know about?

If you get a non-K Skylake chip I believe that motherboard can overclock it with a BIOS flash

Gonna be putting a i3 6300 or 6100 in it.
Only thing that concerns me is if the mobo has enough clearance for my 212 evo.

I'm moving so I'm replacing my entire ring, pls r8

pcpartpicker.com/list/t3c9nn

See if you can get a Gigabyte Z170 HD3P. I personally have that, I've overclocked an i3 6100 to 4.8GHz on it so I can vouch for it, and I have a 212-style (Gammaax 400) cooler that doesn't interfere with my standard height RAM or graphics cards

212 evo is trash, either spend a bit more and get the cryorig h7 or spend less and get the deepcool gammaxxx 400

>212 Evo
>Trash

I'd personally go 2x8GB and have room to expand later, no criticism otherwise.

It performs like a Gammaax 400 for $10 more. It's a perfectly valid choice if it's on sale or you don't like the Gammaax's sketchy mounting system

I need a bit of help with SATA numbers and what I should plug in where.
My mobo has 6 SATA, 2 GSATA 2, 2 GSATA 3 - I think the G is just because it's a Gigabyte mobo.
I have 3 HDDs of capacity 1, 1 and 2 TB and a Samsung EVO SSD.
Which disks should be installed in which slots?

Corsair cx550m
Sharkoon T28(€61 here)
I5 6500
Trust gxt 148
MSI GTX 1070/1060 6G gaming
OCZ Trion 150 120GB/480GB
WD 1TB/2TB
Sharkoon skiller pro
MSI B150 gaming m3
8GIG RAM
SPEEDLINK headset

Now tell me guys should i get 480GB and 2TB with gtx 1060

Or

1TB and 120GB with gtx 1070

Im going to buy this after 6/8 months
Will anything change that much in meantime ?
>no expensive mouse/headset/keyboard
>no "REEEEE CORSAIR MEME" neckbeards

Also is 4gig VRAM enough for the next 3 years ?

it is, overrated cooler, a pain to install and huge as fuck.

SSD on SATA3, the other hard drives probably can't make out a SATA port so put them wherever.

1TB and a 240GB boot / programs disk is more than enough for me personally but storage space is definitely personal preference.

IMHO buy the better graphics card and if you need space buy more space later. Space is cheap and gets cheaper. If you get a 1060 now you've wasted that money if you get a 1070 later.

Any suggestions for this build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/c8vBFd

You can save $30-80 by getting a cheaper Mobo.

The 212 might not be sufficient for overclocking the 6600K very far. My i3 runs into heat issues at 4.8GHz 1.4v on the very similar Gammaax, and you've got twice the physical cores pumping heat.

If you want to get sketchy Newegg has refurbished Corsair AIO water loops for like $40.

>Now tell me guys should i get 480GB and 2TB with gtx 1060
This, but 240GB is probably enough

4GB VRAM is enough but in 6/8 months there will have been a bunch of new cards and CPUs released, so you're going to want retool your build

Cooler already comes with good paste
Get 3000MHz RAM

Any deals on it online anywhere?

I'm in Canada so your mileage may vary on the price

If you're using a different motherboard Google around to see if there's a non-K overclocking BIOS available

Thanks, I just wanted to have an almost 1200 build.
I don't think I will be overclocking soon but I do have in mind buying an AIO later. Thank you.

>Z170 board
>K series CPU
>not overclocking
You could save like $150 bucks with an H series board and a locked i5

480 is €20 more so fuck it i am going to wait 6/8 months for AMD to force nvidia and intel to lower in price. Also is 4gig enough for the next 3 years ?

Hello g/ents.

What is the best card for i5-4690 non-k?
1060 or 1070? Will 1070 get bottlenecked by CPU?

Looking at 1080p gaming at max settings 60+ fps, not touching 1440, for that im gonna build top pc in a year.

Can this boy run BF1 @120 fps? I'm new to this.

pcpartpicker.com/list/vhtMXH

As I said, not right now but I want to have that possibility.

sup g

what is good monitor for 1060gtx 6gb ddr 5 g6

Ok cheers.
Do I need to buy any special sata cabless or will the ones I have reach 6Gb/s? They came with the mobo.

You could probably do that with a computer half that cost

>1060
>6GB VRAM
What is this meme?

You probably want a generic, good quality, G-Sync 1080p monitor.

Wait I missed a zero

You could probably do that with a computer that costs 20x less

>replying to the bait

Nevermind I will, the cables it comes with are only 3Gb/s.

Is i5 2320 with h61 motherboard and 8GB DDR3 1600mhz ram worth getting if the price is the same as new i3 6100(130$ here in Poland)?

try to look for a used i5 ivy bridge or haswell.

quick question, can the can you run it site be trusted as far as a guide for upgrading pc parts.
I personally don't trust it as I can run FO4 fine unmodded and kinda shit and somewhat playable modded.

>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
>Memory 4294967295 MB

>4 PB (Petabytes) of video RAM

What is wrong with my speccy or did I just get lucky with my card?

>guide
logical increments bruh

Get the 1060. 1070 won't bottleneck, but if you're only keeping it for a year just get the 1060.

Any $50 used 1080p 60Hz monitor

Eh, IMO you should build fresh with DDR4

Eh, you don't need an i7, but a better CPU and gfx card are in order

LI doesn't really have the greatest guides. They more or less show you increments that can be fairly worthless depending on which tier you pick.

>going to build new PC
>Have a Cooler Master HAF 912
>Love it because it's big and spacey so I hope I can use it for my new build
>The Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 390mm long, but video cards over 270mm may block drive bays. Since the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card is 279mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.
>Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has onboard USB 3.0 headers, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

JUST

When will Z270 mobos be up for sale?

amazon.com/SIENOC-USB3-0-Female-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B00O0HC3Y0/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B24V738CWHM96392WY5E

It it worth it upgrading my current i5 2500k and r9 290?
It's fast, but it could be faster.

Huge = Good
But it's really not huge at all
Also it's $20

I don't see the problem.

Probably in a few weeks, (((techtubers))) already have their hands on them.

But the chips are out, how can the mobos be so far behind? I already have my 7700k out for delivery

Get a z170
Samsung 960 pros are already just as fast as Intel promised their optane shit would be long ago

>Also it's $20
What? No, 212 EVO usually goes for $29.99.

But it would be just about the same price to go with Z170 over the Z270. Might as well build on z270.

I'm coming from a X58 build

But why?
I just said 960 pros are already as fast as optane was promised to be
And I'm sure you've done your share of research into Z270, you already know that it's 100% Z170 + Optane support right?

Check out what I picked up today for $140!

In the 2 months that I was constantly browsing computer parts recently, I've only seen them for $25, or $15 after rebate
But then again ram was priced for 16GB 3000mhz at $67

>But it would be just about the same price to go with Z170 over the Z270. Might as well build on z270.

I already said why

Came in the box and everything, although I suspect he kept some of the accessories (really no idea what it comes with)

>he didn't offer $120 like Sup Forums told him to
If that guy is selling a GPU because he desperately needs $160, odds are he also desperately needs $120

As you can see from the sticker there is no bullshit here, it's not a different card in that box or anything

Do people actually buy the $200 mobos?

What benefits do they have over cheaper ones?

It's *about* the same price? But there's none on sale and none in stock
There's two reasons right now to get Z170, you're able to

I've had this flashed HD 6950 (that I also bought used) for five years

Look at how clean it is! I almost feel bad at how little use the guy obviously got out of it

More unecessary ports
A USB 3.1 port in the form of USB C maybe
Metal reinforced garbage
red paint
LEDs
Motherboard armor

New guts shot

Nobody told me to offer $120. I said I was going to offer $120 and someone told me it was a good price even at $160. I offered $120 and he countered $140 so I took it

Unless anything avx related is involved of course.

Only problem is I didn't realize this card only has one DVI port, so I need a DisplayPort cable to use the second

A can of air will do that

you are already dropping 3k, why not i7

also you have oem os selected

I didn't see -any- dust or smell any dust. No can of air is that perfect

If planning to overclock non-k chips, get MSI motherboards. They are the only manufacturer who still allow it on the latest BIOS updates. You do the want to be stuck using a buggy beta BIOS from 2015.

MSI also makes the worst motherboards
Just don't update your fucking bios

They will be sale in like a few days though

All motherboard manufacturers are the worst according to Sup Forums. I've seen no actual evidence to back any of it up.

It's true and I've seen plenty of evidence
Motherboards are the number one most failed component, and it doesn't change much by spending hundreds of dollars on it
All motherboards are chinkshit and all motherboards are bad, you just need to find the least bad one

Obviously having such a large number of potential points of failure motherboards are especially vulnerable. Still, the only data I can see shows Asrock have the highest RMA rate, but all manufacturers are below 3%.

I've noticed all the smaller capacity SSD's i've looked at slow down immensely as they fill up, which seems to be further exacerbated by the fact that they are easy to fill up. Seems to be because they use fewer rather than smaller chips under the hood and try to compensate for this swindling with dynamic write/caching memes that help them along in benchmarks so they can jew? It's like extra problematic because they are easy to fill up.

Anyway, on the same site i'm using to see this information, I see larger capacity (512gb-1tb+) SSD's don't really bench all that different whether they are 10% full or 90% full, probably because they don't use these gimmicks.. My question is, are there ANY smaller capacity SSD's that don't have these annoying 'features' that just make them slow down as they fill up? Is not one manufacturer using smaller chips instead of fewer chips? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. Looking for an SSD is painful.

How important/difficult is cable management?

They mitigate the slowdown by overprovisioning, usually by 10% of the drive capacity. Obviously on a 120gb drive, 10% isn't a lot and has little effect.

All SSDs use those "gimmicks" look up how nand rewriting works you dummy
Cramming a thousand 1MB modules into an SSD won't solve anything, and less, tiny chips is the way to go if you want durability

It gives you +100 in autism power and is required for posting in guts threads.
It also slightly improves airflow and makes things in the case easier to clean and maintain.

Not important
Not difficult

So it's a literal impossibility to get a smaller capacity driver that won't dramatically slow down as it fills up? Fug, I guess I have to save some more shekels then..

rate my new build pls, i already have a gtx 1080 i hope to put it together in may
pcpartpicker.com/list/LDQbyf

Just buy a new drive when you're at 95%, Shirley you can expect consistent high speed, high capacity and a low price

I'm looking to get a blu-ray player and an ssd, what brands should I get?

>More unecessary ports
>unnecessary
Questionable, I actually use most of the ports and headers on my board (including the TPM header)
>A USB 3.1 port in the form of USB C maybe
Not useful enough right now
>Metal reinforced garbage
Not useful at all, it will cause the fiberglass on the board to separate over time.
>red paint
Not useful and ugly
>LEDs
Ditto
>Motherboard armor
Unless you're referring to the meme-tier Tuff boards from ASUS, those are "armor" are actually heatsinks for heat-sensitive parts like the VRMs, chipset, and auxiliary controller.

But you forgot to include
>better NIC
Intel or bust for lower CPU overhead and latency
>better audio controller
Meaningless in this day and age.
>PCIe slots
They used to put a PLX switch on higher-end motherboards, you could tell because LGA 115X CPUs only has 16 lanes of PCIe, but PLX-equipped motherboards are 3- or 4-way SLI compatible.
>more voltage regulators, power phases, etc
Better stability when overclocking, but not strictly necessary.

It comes with an install CD and that's it. I just installed one.

So far got everything bar the GPU which I'm waiting for a few days to buy to see if prices are influenced at all. Currently sitting at:

NZXT 340 Elite
EVGA 850W GS Gold PSU
NZXT Kraken 62X
I7 6700k
16GB Corsair 3000mhz DDR4
Asus Z170 Pro
525GB Crucial SSD
3TB Toshiba HDD

Is there anything I should change in this while I can still return things?

Any thoughts on what 1080 to go for after CES?

It's reporting the memory as -6GB
2^32 B - 6GB = 4PB

kek, he has negative memory
He literally has to pay Nvidia for memory every time he turns on his computer.

Okay, I guess it did have everything

i was just looking for consistent speeds at low capacities.

Where the fuck do you life with such prices?

Come back in May. Probably you'll want to change things up by then

Depends on the case, usually pretty easy if the case is built for it. If you're going windowed its mandatory

Sometimes better voltage management

Not yet. In a few months upgrade to an i7 3770K, then save up $1K for a 1440p Adaptive sync monitor + gfx card

What do you guys do to get around this?

Is the USB method the easiest way?

Asus Z170 pro gaming Mobo
6700k CPU
H100i AIO CPU cooler
1080 GPU
16 GB 3000 MHz DDR4 ram
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
AX 760 Corsair PSU
Fractal R4 case

How did I do?

You overspent on memes and ended up with 2009 tier storage.

I didn't say headers I said ports
And the second half of what you said is uncited, maybe if you believe in "newer is better, Love, MSI" then sure, but we're not talking about last year mobos vs this year mobos, we're talking about Z170 vs Z270. Z270 is Z170+Optane support, nothing else.
looking at the $400 MAXIMO GAYMEN 8G AMROR CLOCKMASTER Z270 motherboards that linustechtips posted is not the same as looking at Z170 vs Z270
They're the same chipset

I live in Trump's America™