Getting a Samsung Galaxy S7 in the morning as my "upgrade" from the HTC One M8

Getting a Samsung Galaxy S7 in the morning as my "upgrade" from the HTC One M8.
Vodafone didn't have the HTC 10, so I went for this, what are your general experiences with the Galaxy S7 and is it a "worthy" upgrade from my M8?

It'll be my first Samsung phone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CEI75gZWUtc
forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s7/how-to/how-to-notes-root-install-xposed-unroot-t3411039
androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device
play.google.com/store/search?q=Root&c=apps
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, sorry if this type of post isn't allowed here; just looking for some opinions.

Should have gotten something else
Like a pixel or a iPhone

Pixel is too expensive and same for iPhone.
I always prefer Android.

I've had mine for 5 months now, best phone that I've ever used.

Should have bought an 8 in a couple months.

I've got the S7, it's the goat.
Congratulations on your purchase.

Well that just would of been crazy expensive, there would of been a £5 difference if I decided to go for the S7 Edge in my contract.
Though small, it woulda added up.

I'm glad to hear that the S7 is a good phone though, looking forward to it.
I will miss using my HTC One M8 though.

S7 is great, great battery life, camera, screen - Samsung fixed nearly all that was wrong from the S6

It would be my Android of choice but I'm a faggot, thus I own an iPhone 7 Plus.

It's an OK phone. Certainly not as good as the One gr8 m8 is.

You should have waited for CES because HTC is going to announce 3 new phones.

Should have got a Galaxy Note 4, unless you for some reason DON'T want to carry around a miniature desktop computer.

Awesome, looking forward to it.

I will tuck away my HTC One M8 and kiss it good bye.

>touchwizz

What's that?

I've been using a Nexus 6p for the last year, just got a promotion that ended up with me also getting a work phone, Galaxy S6, this thing is disgusting and the screens are retarded. Don't do it OP.

Samsung's Android overlay/skinning
it has come a long way from S2/S days where it was a bloated mess. it's much lighter and less gaudy now

So is it any good?

I kinda like it. Since they added theming you can have stock Android look with added features.
Seems more full featured than iOS right now

It's an again device, good choice!

>2017
>still buying samsung
>"but they fixed the lag this time around! touchwiz is better than ever before!"
You fuckin suckers lmao

Still filled with lots of useless shit that drain memory and battery.

>touchjizz

I'm upgrading my M8 to a Pixel, few friends and gf have the S7 and are satisfied. I'm personally just not a Samsung fan, nothing they've ever made has impressed me to the point of buying it.

Should still be a great phone though.

Like, just in your OP picture, that home screen looks horrid. It looks like something from 7 years ago. So generic and unfulfilling.

You're a sheep. You've probably never used a Samsung. You can't even explain what it means. You're a retard.

It is the best smartphone available. I have an s6 that's perfect apart from the shitty battery and no SD card. Therefore it must be GOAT to have an s7

It's when you have a phone with such a shitty framework over android, that moronic sizes of memory is used in the background even in idle, and that the system UI lags, stutters and is slow, so bad it's like touching semen, hence "TouchJizz".

I'm no sheep, got the godtier OnePlus 3T which is based AF.

I thought I will never buy an overpriced Samsung smart phone, buy I have my S7 7 months now and I really like it.

I just can't used to typing with the onscreen keyboard because of the curved display.

my M8 was god tier. ive kept mine as a backup phone but i really miss it desu. i upgraded to huawei p9 and i really like it so far.

I have a Galaxy S5 now and I plan to upgrade to an S7 sometime this year, which I will probably keep for at least three years. Samsung phones just werk and I'm not really into custom ROMs and shit anymore

Custom roms?

So you got the S7 Edge then, yah?

Use nova launcher instead of touchwiz

Confirmed for not having used a new Samsung phone

At least you can root it. That saves it.

It's a love hate relationship. Manufacturer and carrier bloatware is crazy. They even change your browser's homepage.

If I could not root this device... I would have returned it. I'm never buying from Samsung again. Not worth it. However, I believe hardware wise, it's the best you can get.

Granted, if I had to start over, I'd get a Pixel. Or a OnePlus. OnePlus might be my next phone due to how root friendly, almost encouraging, it is. Too bad about cyanogenmod. We'll see how this goes.

By the way, the heart rate sensor thing is a meme. Haven't used in months. I forget I have it. If Google Fit took advantage of it then sure, but only S Health uses it.

Benefits of rooting a phone?
Not sure I'll ever need to.

Adblock

Will anyone here go back to ips after experiencing amoled?

AdBlock is great and all but I don't feel like that alone would be worth voiding my warranty with Vodafone and rooting my phone.

More than you can fathom. It's night and day difference. Opens your eyes. I was like you once... Until I was shown the light.

Without it, you're doing a disservice to Android and might as well just get an iPhone. With it... You can LITERALLY, yes the real definition of the word, do anything. Anything.

If you're honestly thinking of not doing it, don't get this phone. Get a Pixel.

Are you a cuck?
Serious question

It's not going to void anything. Warranties are scams.

But I assumed it was unlocked and had no issues in that regard. Then yeah, just get a Pixel.

I had mine for 2 months and fucking hated it. I really liked my note 7 when I had it, wish I kept it but I didn't want to lose a hand being stubborn. I ended up going from the S7 to the LG V20 and love it, it's so much snappier and the second screen is actually semi useful. The only thing I really miss about it is the oled screen. Id also recommend some sort of case for the S7, as without one the thing felt like holding a bar of soap, I've never dropped any phone as much as that one

But other than AdBlock, what would I actually want to do with a rooted phone?
Yeah obviously, cool meme.

>just looking for some opinions.
Seriously, dont.
Samsung has fallen off the boat

In what way? Its too late since the phone will arrive in a few hours.

>what would I actually want to do with a rooted phone?

To try and get a usable battery life by disabling the bloat and horse shit

Well first off you bought a phone that is literally 10 months old. One that has documented camera shutter issues and battery life issues.

This is coming from Samsung who has been having all sorts of hardware issues from their note batteries failing to their screens de laminating

They got market share and have started shitting the bed in terms of build quality. Their software has been garbage since the S4.
Its like you didnt even research the phone you bought

Well I read countless reviews, watched comparison videos and even asked a few friends who had the phone too.
They all had positive experiences.

My contract is £30 a month with unlimited calls, text and 8GB of data.

So its not like I am getting ripped off and I don't care if its 10 months old because I got the HTC One M8 when that was a year old and it served me well.

You underestimate the power of AdBlock.

Anything. That's what. Anything.

Overclock for power, underclock for battery life.

Modify .apk files. You can change your settings menu to whatever you want.

Completely remove applications. Unlike disabling which uses storage and power. You can completely remove TouchWiz and set Nova Launcher as a system app to be the only launcher.

You can modify the notification bar, bootscreen, etc. Anything you see you can modify, with various difficultly.

Enables special functionality of applications. Greenify, Xposed, etc.

Lucky Patcher. No more paying for apps. Could do this without root, but this adds much more to it.

Emulators.

Unlimited hotspot.

Taking control of the device you paid for in your hands. Not being a cuck. Maybe having your wife's son respect you?

I don't know. Why wouldn't you? It's your device. You have a right to do anything you want with it.

Etc.

You do realize what AdAway is, right? It's system wide. This means no apps show ads.

Well I can certainly look into it I guess. Any solid and/or recommended tutorials I can follow?
Also, I am not sure the bloatware issue is as bad as it is in America (live in the UK). With Vodafone, its usually one app and that's just for checking bills, usage and so on.

I fucked up, that was meant for you.

>can't change battery on the go.
>almost solid glass
>samsung
I hope you get insurance on that piece of shit.

I did and I couldn't change my battery on the HTC One M8, still survived.

So, I just watched this video here on how to root the S7:
youtu.be/CEI75gZWUtc

Seems pretty simple, is the way everyone does it?
He also mentions that banking apps may stop, why is this and is it true?
Also, after the phone is rooted in the way he did it; what does one do or download afterwards?

Phones without removable batteries and SD card slots are a no go. Must have features in a phone.

They are a no go but also must have features, what?

Android Pay won't work because it triggers Knox showing that software has been altered

Well I don't use that, I use my RBS banking app and that's it.

forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s7/how-to/how-to-notes-root-install-xposed-unroot-t3411039

This is what I used. Don't know how it works in your country, but you can and should use Smart Switch from Samsung to unroot it. They'll reset it back to normal so you can't break anything.

I bricked my phone three times at the start because I was new, but Smart Switch fixed it. The unroot methods don't work in that guide.

This is talking about the Snapdragon model, if you've got Exynos then it's much easier, I believe.

But thanks to how retard proof it is... I've actually been doing this like the fifth time. Just to test things out. Turns out you can actually use newer xposed framework, but a newer SuperSU binary doesn't work, but I'll keep testing.

For you, you should probably follow as it's international. That XDA guide works, but it's outdated.

It's actually stronger than people believe. Dropped mine onto concrete from an SUV and nothing happened to it. Aside from a noticeable ding on one of the corners. The other corners had scuff marks that were wiped off. The problem is how slippery it is. It feels so dangerous to hold and it slides on leather way too much.

Fast charging fixes that, but it would be nice. If you're worried about it freezing, it's designed to fix itself. If not you can force it to restart. Or worse case scenario, just wait... Had it happen a few times, but it fixed itself. Not really an issue.

Can't speak on this as I purposefully disable NFC and Android Pay. Apple does it much better. Android is lagging behind, but it's just not standard yet for it to matter. At least in my area.

So after I root my phone, what should I do after?
Any apps I should deffo look into?

SuperSU obviously or else it won't work.

FlashFire to install Xposed.

SELinuxModeChanger because you can't remove system applications and all that without it. Although you could set it manually through terminal, but this is more convenient.

BusyBox.

And then to finish it off, Lucky Patcher as it needs all the above to work properly. And then with Lucky Patcher, once it's granted root access through SuperSU, you can patch SuperSU to get SuperSU Pro. How ironic. Talk about betrayal.

Then you can install F-Droid so Sup Forums will accept you. Then you get your FOSS on. Install AdAway first. Then Clover. And maybe look around for things you might like.

Then go into Xposed and download some stuff once you get more into rooting as it allows for a lot of unique functionality like modifying your LED notification color and all that.

You COULD try Greenify, but I'd stop there. The problem with these apps is they can break the functionality of your phone just to save battery life. Greenify is more than enough and it won't break things.

You might have poor battery life initially, which I always do, but re-calibrating fixes it. And after that it works just fine. In fact, better because I remove everything I don't need. Here's the way I calibrate it, as it's the only "real" way to do it fully. androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device Use Method 1 only. The rest are memes.

Then search around the play store for root apps. play.google.com/store/search?q=Root&c=apps

So after I follow this tutorial and get my phone "rooted", I can then look into what you mentioned?
youtu.be/CEI75gZWUtc

By the way, battery is something I forgot to mention fully. Without root it's tolerable at least due to fast charging even though it needs to be plugged into an outlet, but with root it becomes great again.

The thing is that... It drops drastically during intense tasks like Clover. In fact, Clover is what takes up a majority of my battery life. Everything else works fine. I don't play video games or anything like that and I believe before root I got like 7 hours or so... I remember having to charge mid day or risk the phone dying. I'm still working out how the life is on root, but it's much better.

I could make it even better by underclocking. I might do that in the future to see how it works out for me. Shitposting on Sup Forums doesn't require much processing power.

Yes. All you need is root and SuperSU to manage application permissions and convenience. After that it's up to you. But I'd suggest installing Xposed, BusyBox, and SELinuxModeChanger. The others are optional based on what applications you plan to use, but SELinuxModeChanger is a must or else, on the S7, you won't be able to delete system applications and all that. You can get it on F-Droid, I believe.

Awesome and are all the applications I need on the Playstore?

Also once rooted, can I update all my apps and the phone as usual?

S7 was the worst phone I ever owned.

Bloated and laggy, and just shitty to the core.

Ended up with an iPhone

>Ended up with an iPhone
Ew.

I'm still rocking my M8 and i love it like the first day i got it. Is there really any reason to upgrade?
It feels fast and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever

>gf

Why not OP3T!??!