How does Sup Forums take notes...

How does Sup Forums take notes? There are so many solutions but it's difficult to tell which ones are worth putting the effort into learning. What have you tried?

Other urls found in this thread:

calnewport.com/blog/category/tips-notetaking/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pen and paper

>notes on baby data structures

I've found that for programming courses in college so far that writing down everything is beneficial in terms of remembering everything.

vim

This. Unless you're very /mkg/ you can probably write faster than you can type. Also it's easier to draw diagrams, mathematical symbols, etc on paper than it is with any type of computer, tablet, etc.

Zim

/mkg/ doesn't actually type a lot
They're too busy ordering rainbow colored key cap sets for their absurd 60% special snowflake keyboards and configuring "layers" to make up for the lack of keys, like a Rube Goldberg machine

True, but you'll probably find more 90+ wpm typists there than on most of the rest of Sup Forums.

what plugin is that op

With my eyes and brain

Pen and paper. Writing is fun, it's easier to draw graphics to illustrate certain stuff and I memorize it better than by typing.

>taking notes
here's my strategy:
1) don't go to lecture
2) the night before, read the textbook and summarize everything on another sheet of paper
3) ????
4) PROFIT!
that's the story of how i coasted through all of my programming classes

Not true, I don't even consider myself a particularly good typist but I can definitely tap out notes far more quickly than I can write them.

I use either Apple Notes or just a text file. I usually hand write todo lists, though, because if it's just lying around in one of many places on a computer, I'll forget to check and update it.

I'm not a student, though. Maybe it's different for class notes.

Well i can certainly type much faster than I can write. The mathematics thing is a good point because they are very time consuming to type. I am hard-pressed, however, to believe that you are able to reference your notes very easily while writing technical documentation or finding information for whatever engineering thing that you theoretically would do.

This brings question 2: Is it just best to scan math papers and save them as pdfs or something to archive and tag?

this is insulting...

Papers get lost and also lack the ability to search and tag. Give me quick reference or give me death!

>programming
What kind of babby tier throwaway degree do you think I'm studying for?

>I am hard-pressed, however, to believe that you are able to reference your notes very easily while writing technical documentation or finding information for whatever engineering thing that you theoretically would do.

It hasn't proven much of a difficulty to deal with paper notes, unscanned and with no tagging system, in my experience. Just having a general idea when in the course of the class certain topics got covered is usually enough, especially since you usually have a decent idea what's going to be on an upcoming exam (for instance).

maybe i should have said computer science classes; all of those were super easy (not just the programming ones)
i was math btw

combination of markdown in vim and pen + paper get the job done for me

I don't take notes to reference them later, that's what my book and professor are for. I take notes to help pay attention and actively learn. So pen and a solid journal for me.

Real Cal Newtons guide to taking notes in all these blog posts calnewport.com/blog/category/tips-notetaking/

You should use pen + paper to capture the big ideas during a lecture. Then later you go on the official course page and download all the lecture notes they always have. Then you annotate the notes with your own notes you took or completely rewrite them (better) to focus on the big ideas they are trying to convey to you.

I use org-mode, in the old day I used a special tool for it.
The shiat thing was made in nodejs and it saved the notes in a non standart binari data structure,
THe pogram failed and the data got deleted from by that pogram, after that i onli take my notes in plain text

i'm getting a PhD in CS and i still use paper notes. nothing cements in my brain as hard as when i'm physically writing it (and i study Human-Computer Interaction and let me tell you that the digital stylus writing thing just isn't completely caught up to real writing, yet; it has other advantages, but it comes up short of the instinctual feeling of writing). i get shit from friends not in university anymore because it seems a bit luddite-ish of someone actively studying technology and whatnot to be scribbling in a physical notebook.

i think the note-taking method is dependent on what you're optimizing for. i think if you need a lot of particular details, you just need to type it out, make it indexible, searchable, etc... but if you're writing conceptual stuff down, then you want to lean on cementing it into your brain. at least for me that's best achieved by writing.

there's some evidence out there that when students type notes they get more perfect transcriptions but don't personally recall as much on their own, and i think the hypothesized mechanism was that physically writing notes requires students to keep an active channel open to listen to the lecture and parse what's important enough to write down. when you're typing you can (usually) type about as fast or faster than a person can speak.

I just press ctrl+K on sublime text and it opens up my references. Also used when taking notes/ snippets/ writing coding stuff

org mode

This is the only acceptable way. Pen and paper increases both understanding and retention. Also reduces torsion to screw of in class/meetings

Use tex/latex instead.

See below. Doesn't matter how fast you for quality is much more important than quantity.
Writing aids in retention and understanding. Searchable mediums are fine for references, but for learning new concepts and long term retention pen(cil) and paper are king

This.

>better memorization
>better notes
>portable

inb4 some autist who spends 30 minutes to write a math equation during their linear algebra 101 class in vim and latex

there are advantages to writing it in latex or similar, like you can copy/paste/tweak these things a million times more easily than if you transcribed the same complex formula a second (or third or fourth etc...) time, but in 4 years of undergrad and now almost 3 years of grad school i can't think of a single time that i've needed that particular feature. digital notes are a compelling idea in a kneejerk sort of theoretical sense, but their advantages just don't seem especially geared towards either A) the problems of note-taking we need solved, or B) the benefits of notes that we could enhance.

Pen and paper. That said, I study Appalachian literature and culture, so I'm certainly not the standard Sup Forumsentleman.

It just feels right, man. If you want your notes to be searchable or to have a digital copy, then just re-write them into OneNote or something; then you get the advantage of the searchability and sorting while also studying the material from repetition of entry.

Text-files in text editor is pretty great.
Tomboy is a decent application.
There's also org-mode but I've never quite needed that amount of sheer NOTE POWER.

If you take notes digitally, you write it in natural language first, and rewrite it to LaTeX afterwards. Duh.

i briefly tried hand notes followed by later transcription (actually into OneNote) and it's an insanely laborious process. to the point that i just wouldn't tell anyone to plan on following through. it would be like if a fat person told me they were going to lose weight by training for a marathon. i'm sure some people do it, but most burn out and give up.

i've considered using something like OCR followed by amazon mechanical turk to transcribe notes to something digital. my only concern is that
1) i honestly don't think i'd benefit that much more from digitizing it; as long as my notebook doesn't burn up in a fire i can flip through my notes quickly (and my spatial memory (or something) is pretty good, so if i wrote a note in the top left corner of the left side page *somewhere* in my notebook, i'll remember that and that actually narrows down a full search enormously; all the more if i roughly know the date of the note)

2) i don't think turkers would know how to write equations and stuff in latex, and errors would be pretty annoying bordering on destructive. i'd rather have no digital notes than have faulty digital notes.

That laborious process is what makes you good at what you do.

>If you take notes digitally, you write it in natural language first, and rewrite it to LaTeX afterwards
what's the "natural langauge" of a complex formula with subscript, logic symbols, etc...?

you might develop a shorthand, but writing ∈ with a pen on a paper is a lot easier (and faster, and cognitively less work) than generating and typing a shorthand for "[is an] element of"

unless you have severe memory problems, you'll hit a point where your marginal benefit is basically nil; that's the benefit of physically writing it — that you get like 80-90% of memorability right there on the first pass of writing. rote learning isn't that preferred outside of foundational stuff like learning multiplication tables or the periodic elements (or in a more advanced example, memorizing all of the bones in the body), but most university level study is relatively conceptual.

and if you're trying to grasp something conceptual, you'd be *much* better off discussing the topic with people for an hour, i.e. using critical thinking, than spending that hour transcribing it to OneNote. it wouldn't even be close.

Like most people I do my class and reading notes on paper. If I'm trying to compile a big organized review for a class, I outline it on paper and make it using latex.
I do have a place for a digital to-do list and collection of documents, and onenote seems to be the best solution. I don't particularly strongly prefer it to anything else, but evernote and zim have a notably poor cross-platform experience, while onenote has an actually usable web version.

Combination of printed notes written in Markdown (with in-line LaTeX) and handwritten notes

What about Wacom tablet + monitor? Is the psychology of this dependent on me seeing my hand as i do it? looking down? staring at an unlit surface?

Nice setup though.

mostly paper for classes.

have a markdown file for some commands i use now and then, and a few others for random stuff, and a caldav server setup for easy task syncing with my phone and desktop/laptop.

works pretty well, except it stopped working nice with gnome, so still have to figure that out.

Vim /home/MyUser/MyNote.txt

Google Keep for day to day notes (don't care about botnet, nothing private in there), self hosted Dokuwiki installation for all my "this is the list of tweaks and command line incantations I last used to install Linux on this machine, in case I need to reinstall later" kind of notes.

Pencil + Paper

Unless it's a programming thing with lots of code snippets because I don't like to write down code.
vim $date
alias daynote=vim ~/notes/`date +%Y%m%d`notes.md

theoretical physics student here:
pen and paper during class
type up in latex at the end of the day/topic/semester

depends on the type of notes

In University I stuck with pen and paper because I'm a graphical type and actually put notes I'll understand later instead of quickly copied gibberish. That said, I like to draw some arrows for connections, do some markings on the borders, do a quick graph where needed etc.

Just text I type faster, but the amount of info I put is much greater on pen/paper I think.

it's the extra step your brain does in silently spelling out the words when you write them by hand, the surface doesn't matter much here.
Tablets can be used but pen and paper is much more familiar muscle memory for those who learned pen and paper in school (they still do that, right? Right?)

I don't and nobody can make plugins.
What a double edged sword.

When I do take notes, it's just comments saying "important shit dont modify"