What went wrong

What went wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2009/12/ftc-sues-intel-for-anti-competitive-practices/
techreport.com/news/8547/does-intel-compiler-cripple-amd-performance
agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49#49
pcworld.com/article/3086895/hardware/eu-court-has-intel-inside-appealing-14-billion-antitrust-fine.html
anandtech.com/show/2443
hothardware.com/news/new-nvidia-drivers-disable-physx-if-a-nonnvidia-gpu-is-detected
xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20100119134616_AMD_Accuses_Nvidia_of_Disabling_Multi_Core_CPU_Support_in_PhysX_API.html
hothardware.com/news/indepth-analysis-of-dx11-crysis-shows-highly-questionable-tessellation-usage
cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=80565
techpowerup.com/165707/tsmc-gives-nvidia-priority-for-28-nm-manufacturing
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-10/ex-amd-workers-at-nvidia-lose-bid-to-end-secrets-lawsuit
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/why-watch-dogs-is-bad-news-for-amd-users-and-potentially-the-entire-pc-gaming-ecosystem/
techreport.com/review/31224/the-curtain-comes-up-on-amd-vega-architecture/4
youtube.com/watch?v=eNTAMApSlz4
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=411923
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398858
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404125
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Over-hyping their products.

Letting pajeet in

buying ATI

Not doing a fucking live stream of their latest and greatest at one of the biggest shows of the year.

No one outside of CES what they're showing off.

JUST

Intel paying off OEMs not to use the suoerior product in laptops.

Nvidia stealing hoardes of data and IP from former AMD employees.

If it's not ready for a public showcase then I don't fucking care anymore. Ryzen is supposed to come out in Q1 and Vega shouldn't be too far off.

nvidia literally blew their brains out on stage a few hours ago and AMD proceeds to choke like every time in the last 10 years.

A retarded marketing department that doesn't realize that making a countdown that doesn't actually countdown to anything exciting makes you look like a jackass

Other than that not much, Zen and Vega seem like they're gonna be good.

what went right.

dubs doesnt lie

>nvidia stumbles and offers AMD an open goal at CES
>AMD just looks at the ball and decides to wait to see if conditions improve

this

sad thing is they gave the Sup Forums kids so much ammo

it's going to be at least two weeks of non-stop poo poo shitposting

intel and nvidia being anti-competitive swines
>wired.com/2009/12/ftc-sues-intel-for-anti-competitive-practices/
>techreport.com/news/8547/does-intel-compiler-cripple-amd-performance
>agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49#49
>pcworld.com/article/3086895/hardware/eu-court-has-intel-inside-appealing-14-billion-antitrust-fine.html
>anandtech.com/show/2443
>hothardware.com/news/new-nvidia-drivers-disable-physx-if-a-nonnvidia-gpu-is-detected
>xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20100119134616_AMD_Accuses_Nvidia_of_Disabling_Multi_Core_CPU_Support_in_PhysX_API.html
>hothardware.com/news/indepth-analysis-of-dx11-crysis-shows-highly-questionable-tessellation-usage
>cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=80565
>techpowerup.com/165707/tsmc-gives-nvidia-priority-for-28-nm-manufacturing
>bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-10/ex-amd-workers-at-nvidia-lose-bid-to-end-secrets-lawsuit
>forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/why-watch-dogs-is-bad-news-for-amd-users-and-potentially-the-entire-pc-gaming-ecosystem/

Neither Intel nor nVidia forced AMD to do a countdown to literally nothing.

How do you they didn't?

>BAWWWWW AYYYMD CAN'T DO WRONG
This is why everyone makes fun of amdrones.

So you're saying that intel bribing OEMs to not use AMD CPUs in their pre-builts, which hurt AMD the most, isn't actually intel's fault, but AMD's?

The rest is also AMD's fault? Could you please go more in-depth to explain how exactly?

nvidia would have done the exact same thing and nobody would have given a fuck

3/4ths of this board is Sup Forums fanboy trash, deal with it

See:

MOM NVIDIA WONT LET ME PLAY WITH THE PHYSX

Do you want me to feed (You)s to you, or what, tripfag?

Here;
Don't spend them all in one place!

(If you want an answer: That's not what this thread is about, and the countdown lead to youtube videos, which isn't "literally nothing", but what else to expect from a retard like you, throwing 'literally' everywhere.)

FYI , the professional market, where the real money lies, is dominated by Nvidia, and even more so in the future with all the cooperation of companies like Tesla.

POO

When nVidia's CEO held up a mock card with woodscrews, we laughed at nVidia for a YEAR!

The result is that game developers can't release games with any real use of physx so their games remain compatible with AMD's hardware.
Keeping physX to themselves (note they did not invent it, they bought out the company so they could use it as a marketing gimmick) means that physX will never be a thing.

You're just embarrassing yourself at this point and your new is showing. Just gtfo

I feel like you're not happy, user. Someone hurt you? Don't worry, it'll be alright.

YOU CAN TORTURE ME BUT YOU'LL NEVER MAKE ME USE THE LOO

>What went wrong
AMD got x86 license and now this shit everywhere

amd created the 64bit extension to x86 lol

Hmm I wonder why the architecture is called AMD64.
Not like AMD themselves created it or anything...

sure, but at the time, AMD was just better.

immediately after Fermi, Nvidia got the tech lead and hasn't given it up since. so needless to say public perception is strongly in their favor now.

and fanboys will treat any minor hurdle like a fucking disaster if it means their favorite console, I mean GPU manufacturer wins

If Physx will never be a thing why do you care so much about it?

sour grapes

I understand that you're 16 and don't remember K8. but the only reason Intel is good now is because AMD was better.

you only need to look at Babby Lake to see how desperately the industry needs Zen to be good.

>Vega releases
>15% faster than a 1080 for 12 months more waiting
>Raja swamped by sex offers from all the rejoicing AMDfriends
>after a month Nvidia introduces Volta
>back to square one

Because I like using it on my nvidia card, and wished games could make better use of it without reducing their sales by AMD marketshare%

t. 17 year old who can google

It's barely faster than 1070.

Yes, the golden age of 2002 - 2006.
I liked my Athlon XP and Athlon 64 a lot, but let's not pretend AMD was really anything more than a second rate CPU vendor.

Good thing, you can just do that if you have an Nvidia GPU.

[citation needed]

All the videos. It's hilarious. And i though Nvidia was hilarious.

Not really, judging by the couple demos it's roughly on the 1080 level, a bit ahead even. And the final silicon will be faster yet.
Still, if the big chip can't at the very least match a TXP it's a disappointment in my book, since it took them so long.

more like
>Vega releases
>great 1070/1080 counterparts
>bad DX11 good DX12/Vulkan as fucking always
>no answer to 1080 Ti and Titan X
>it's OK I guess
>Volta comes out, Vega prices plummet, same fucking status quo again

Where the fuck are benchmarks or ryzen prices or anthing. It's fucking CES, they should have done at least anything.

If they can only offer 1080 level of performance it will be a disaster launch.

>roughly on the 1080 level
1080 doesn't dip to 36fps in 4k doom which is already amd favoured game

>GPU throttles itself when action is not going on to reduce energy consumption
>a feature available on all GCN GPUs since driver 16.12.1
>HAHAHAAAHAH XD LOOK IT DROPS FPS! LITERALY FINISHED AND BANKRUPT LOOOL KEK

wew my lad up senpai

>expecting competent marketing from AMD instead of the usual shitflinging cringefest
You set yourself for disappointment.

Why? If it is priced competitively, it will sell well.

But it is AMD, and their marketing department's collective IQ is comparable to a peanut.

I don't get why people are so pissed

lmfao

No, everything is a fucking cringefest with qualcomm topping everyone. The point is they showed nothing.

y'all keep saying this shit with zero explanation as to why. very few people buy HEDT shit.

sure it's a marketing advantage if you can claim you have the best flagship shit but in the end people are going to compare the products they can afford. Polaris is doing much better than previous GCN gens and that's because it shits on lower end Pascal.

To clarify - it will be really disappointing in my eyes, because of the 10 - 12 month delay over Pascal.
Merely offering an alternative with roughly the same level of performance and a bit lower price is not enough after so much time. The 300 series did that and while it sold decently it wasn't exactly a stellar succes.
I just don't think they can afford to perpetually be number two.

>it shits on lower end Pascal
[citation needed]

techreport.com/review/31224/the-curtain-comes-up-on-amd-vega-architecture/4
>By my rough estimate, that puts the early Vega card inside somewhere between the performance of a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080 in Doom
You can laugh now

nah it dips to 40, that's pretty swell ain't it

nevermind the fact that it gets 20 less average FPS

It means nothing and we can throw shit at each other until the actual benchmarks arrive.

You're talking about a millisecond frame-dip on an engineering sample with likely very rough drivers. Besides, the demo of Battlefront shows it's at least on par with a 1080 too.

if it costs 400jewbucks it's bretty gud

>What went wrong
they pooed in it

Sorry user, I was just excited today about finally hearing some news about Vega and once again nothing.
Excuse me if I'm a bit more shitposty today.

Everyone waited something that''s actually BETTER than nvidia. Market desperately needs competition, never were gaymen cards so overcosted. And, well, nothing happened.

>Besides, the demo of Battlefront shows it's at least on par with a 1080 too.

yeah, the """demo""" of someone running around an empty server shows it's on par with a 1080.

every review released after november

kek

I will wait for proper benches.

More $$$ is made in the $200-$300 region than in the higher brackets, as less people can afford the high end stuff. If AMD wins the middle tiers, it does not matter if they do not have the "top tier" crown.

...but again, it is AMD. Chimpanzees laugh at the stupidity of AMD's marketing department.

Intel scumbag tactics. Really. The amount of shit Intel has done and keeps doing makes me puke.

And people buying Intel even when AMD was the superior product back then.

Marketing, as always for the past 15 years.
Seriously, someone needs to fire the whole marketing department or whoever is interfering with their decision making.
There is no fucking way any competent marketing person voluntarily allows this kind of campaign.

hi, pukefriend

Yeah, we need competition.
This one site with PC builds in increments is starting to look like an Intel/Nvidia advertisement.

Ah wait, so you guys are talking about the event?, i thought this thread was about the company.

hihi

>immediately after Fermi
Kepler and GCN came out in the same generation, and they were both relatively close in performance and power consumption.
What really set Nvidia ahead was Maxwell.

>Yeah, we need competition.
We do. Look at Kaby Lake.

yeah but at the time Nvidia's drivers were just much better, which tipped the scales in their favor.

You mean Skylake: 2017 edition?

Please do not call it Skylake. Cannot you see that it has 1% extra performance!?!?!? And in some cases, up to 2%!

I'm sorry Mr. Krzanich, please don't optimize my family.

even if amd are better then nvidia, even when they were, no one fucking bought them, so why the fuck would you put out a niche?

Honestly, I would be shocked if this wasn't the last big gpu they make, and instead go full speed ahead to mcm gpus.

Keep moving those goalposts my man: youtube.com/watch?v=eNTAMApSlz4

Endor, the same map used in the Vega test. In that video the game frequently dipping below 60 fps even when there's not much happening around him. He also isn't using FXAA, which the Vega setup was.

FPBP , this is the fan's fault though. AMD promises X and people go around claiming it's going to be XYZ, then at release they cry that AMD didn't deliver whilst they get memed to death by nvidia fans. I'm pretty glad I got a 1050 instead of a 460 since AMD on linux a shit.

AMD promised something and showed nothing? It's literally worse than nvidia meme conference.

no, honestly the whole driver thing has been kind of bullshit for the longest time.
no games ever failed to work, and the only real sticking point was dual gpu solutions that had to wait for profiles.
If a game was fundamentally broken, it was fixed in short order

Had a 4850 computer, a 5770 and a 280x and have yet to really experiance a game that is truely fuced by drivers.

I know, but IMO AMD just needs to stay alive and something will actually go their some day.
I think nvidia is tackling a very niche market for a huge payoff as well, but I'm not a businessman.

>I think nvidia is tackling a very niche market for a huge payoff as well
Cars? Google will murder them the very second they try to pull proprietary bullshit or patent scamming.

I mean, you know google isn't developing their own hardware right? (don't quote me on this) They can benefit from the memes nvidia is selling if they are better than what Chrysler is providing for them. I agree that Google will break nvidia in half if they try scamming them

because games don't use it due to intel and amd not being supported

would be amazing if games actually used it.

-------

you want to know the funny thing, at this point nvidia could release an open source amd compatibility for it, nvidia is so far ahead in market share, amd is not growing in the gamer demo, and they could use physx as a 'look at our cards doing it so much better' approach, because if everyone could use it, it would be a feal feature to sell their cards... why don't they?

Im betting money they have test beds with amd cards to see if it would work, and nvidia comes up on the shit end of the stick.

I cant really think of any other reason as its only relegated to tech demos anymore.

My point is, that nvidia has to come with open standard for ONCE if they want to get into cars.

Agreed, if nvidia started opensourcing their drivers and software suites the world would be a better place.

And they need to spot gimping their older fucking cards. Poor 780/780ti users.

honestly them showing nothing would be better then showing facebook integration with new hardware with the ability to triangulate where you are in your home along with renting gaming hardware for obscene prices.

amd showing nothing honestly isn't that bad in comparison.

>something will actually go their some day.

this aint no anime neet

>renting gaming hardware for obscene prices.
That was new levels of hilarious. Truly The Way It's Meant To Be Jewed.

>september 12th

what does a 4 month old benchmark have to do with it? the game has been updated and optimized multiple times since then.

christ, at least try kid.

No? It's EAfront, not Battlefield 1.

I know right? Isn't the 290x destroying the 780ti in every way possible?
I mean, they just have to be half successful at signing deals with console makers until they can appeal the PC market. Apple uses AMD as well if I'm not wrong.

forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=411923

forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398858

forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404125

absolute garbage drivers

>I expected that they'd host a live stream from Vegas at 6 AM but they didn't deliver
>BAAAAAAW