/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/23505/adding-and-removing-autostart-programs-in-cinnamon/
abcde.einval.com/wiki/
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Bernie!

Mint x64 18.1 Cinnamon

1: How do I make this command autostart at boot?
> xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set underscan on

It's the only way to get rid of overscan on my tv.

2: What's a good gpuz or hwmonitor alternative? psensor doesn't display the right values.

I started using xubuntu last month and loving it so far. What music player do you suggest for newcomers such as myself?

(transmission-gtk:8077): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
why does the gtk file picker keep crashing itself and the program trying to use it?

GPL is for cucks, install BSD.

>install a license
wut

Is there any program to convert an audio file to a GRUB tune?

Weren't you fucking with the gtk ?
Seems like you messed up something there

stop shit shit
dear, your neighbor

It seems you need more practice of your English skills before you go apply for a job at the local call center, Pajeet.

>1: How do I make this command autostart at boot?
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/23505/adding-and-removing-autostart-programs-in-cinnamon/

>2: What's a good gpuz or hwmonitor alternative? psensor doesn't display the right values.
CPU-G

no, i made a mistake and fell for a week back
I kept gtk as it came

But BSD is for cucks, because companies could close your code and sell it even without telling you.

That's true freedom, only a communist cuck would think otherwise.

So PostgreSQL is for cucks. Node.js is for cucks. X.org is for cucks. Python is for cucks. At last I truly see.

yep

>So PostgreSQL is cucked. Node.js is cucked. X.org is cucked. Python is for cucked. At last I truly see.
fixed

>le gommunism is bad meme again
Stop posting.

>bread lines are actually good

@58339273
fuck off black to plebbit where your kind belongs

>I'd rather live in a system where the poor have no recourse and just die

>le plebbit meme
>implying all the trumptards didn't come from plebbit

@58339657
>le
>meme
>implying i'm american
you really should fuck off
i recommend you go join your comrades at

Hi there Sup Forumsuys! I have a question. I want to put Linux on my computer to dual boot with Windows 7. The problem is that the only network access I have at the moment is through my phone. I can download any of the isos and transfer to my computer to make the bootable usb no problem. But it seems like a lot of distros require Internet access just to install. And tethering isn't an option. Can you recommend a distro I can do a full install for from the iso only? Thanks!

>uhh b-but they came from plebbit too!!
Couldn't care less.
see

Is there a market for a
* USB WiFi adapter
* 802.11ac with 2x2 MIMO
* 2 external antennas
* fully Linux compatible with stock kernel drivers
* supports master mode

As far as I know there is no such thing on the market.

>market
take that racist shit out of here please. this is a friendly subreddit.

>it seems like a lot of distros require Internet access just to install.
Bullshit

>corporations take your code and work, for free
>close the source and sell it as your own
>not cucked

Top Kek.

You can download the complete Debian repository in the form of DVD and CD .isos

>Debian
Nah, I don't want to use a garbage SJW distro.

Unity is my favorite DE

(Reason: 7=CLASS3_FRAME_FROM_NONASSOC_STA)

pls, someone help me. this motherfucking thing.

fucking piece of shit. never ever buy broadcom shit.

Did you read Sup Forums's sticky?

It happens every other week I swear

That happens to GPL software too. The GPL is mostly unenforceable in most parts of the world.

Guys, how about posting some arguments in order to have a good discussion instead of posting reddit tier memes?

All the cool kid distros require Internet

It's just one sperg

How do i change default apache folder for website on arch?
I dont want it to be /srv/http/
i changed httpd.conf files from /srv/http/ to what i want but server crashes

>I dont want it to be /srv/http/
Why?

Make sure you have the correct permissions

Are there any CD ripping programs which are equivalent in quality to EAC for Linux?

this. I have stolen GPL code multiple times and I really don't give a fuck

So I'm fucking around with 3x3tb drives and mdadm.

Do I really have to let this shit re-sync every time I change some parameters? I just wan't to do slap it together, benchmark, change some parameters and benchmark again etc.

Thanks but I'm afraid the answer to q1 is too hard for me.

Sure you did

Daily reminder why the GPL is a gift from god.

Seems like you messed up.

Yeah, that's so hard to do when that "license" is literally worthless in most countries. You could post some of your GPL code here which I will make proprietary. And there is nothing you could do about it. Go ahead, you won't though because you know that it can't protect your code.

whoops
nice meme

You'd have to distribute that code first.

You can download a fedora live USB, which you can then use to install onto your computer

the point of licenses is that they don't give a fuck about the copyright laws in your country faggot

Go ahead, post some of your code here and it will become proprietary within a matter of minutes. I will literally steal it.
Oh yeah, I will.
How exactly will that stop me from stealing your code and making it proprietary?

>copyright laws
You do realize copyrights were created PRECISELY to help corporations, right?

Judges WILL interpret the laws and licenses in the way that favours corporations the most.

Thanks for the help dudes!

Good thing I don't even have to be a corporation to simply steal GPL code. There's nothing you and your pathetic "license" can do about it.

Nobody cares.

I don't open-source anything. Open-sourcing is by nature getting cucked. Whether you wanna take the whole dick in (BSD) or just the tip (GPL), you're still getting cucked.

What's the OpenBSD of Linux distros?

copyright is cancer anyway and should be removed
it was invented to benefit the public, but nowadays it's only used to criminalize friendly memebers of the society

probably gentoo

GUN/Linux*

I already installed BSD. Your trolling won't make me hate it more.

abcde.einval.com/wiki/

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Alpine. But it lacks good documentation.

do you even know what openbsd is, pleb

>Open-sourcing is by nature getting cucked. Whether you wanna take the whole dick in (BSD) or just the tip (GPL), you're still getting cucked.
Pretty much.

>GUN
fucking hell this would make a much more attractive name

GUN/Linux

i have separate partitions for my files and system and i want to create website for movies.
I have about 1tb, i cant move 1tb movie in /srv/http
i hope you get what im trying to say
like, im building home cimena website which can be used from all devices connected to my network

I'm one of the devs.

what is the memest meme distro everone laughs about?

I too would recommend Fedora, it is quite fantastic

Via http?
Well, if you want.

Your Apache user still probably needs to own all that shit

Ubuntu on Windows 10

sjwbian, sjwarch

Linux Mint or Arch Linux. Dunno which is more cringe worthy.

literally gentoo

back in the days it was Sup Forums jargon meaning 'lurk moar', but then reddit came along and took the 'install gentoo' advice seriously, kek

arch

The one I'm not using.

I am building a media server and I require a suitable distribution, I am stuck between Debian and CentOS, I have experience with DNF if it even matters. I am more concerned with the quality and capabilities of the devs for Debian and CentOS, I know that Debian has a larger team but it seems that CentOS is run solely by professionals and experts in their field.

Kodi

lol, i wasn't thinking about that, ez solution
file:///home/user/Downloads/Nocturnal.Animals.2016.HC.HDRip.XViD.AC3-ETRG

For such irrelevant solution I'd go for debian simply because it has a helluvalot larger repository.
Debian has a newer kernel version than CentOS so expect better hardware support as well.

RHEL/Centos doesn't come with many media features because it's not it's purpose.
And since RHEL/CentOS is based on Fedora it won't have patented codecs such as mp3 codecs, so you may find yourself having to compile shit.

Let's be frank buddy, you hardly need a mission critical system for a media server, don't you?

Feel free to ask.

centos, fedora, rhel is for tippers and wannabes

my connection keeps disconnecting. pls.

Thank you for the response, I will go with Debian.

To answer your final question, no not at all, simply a media server. It is just things like that which grate at me occasionally, likely due to my lack of knowledge on the topic.

there is some option, something power management, i think that should be off
go iwconfig and check

Fun fact, the parent preventing Fedora from shopping with MP3 expired in 2016

Well that's good to know but the current verison of centos is still F19.

Fedora is better than Debian for desktops and workstations, Debian is better than CentOS for servers.

I manually updated the kernel on my lts distro from 4.4 to 4.9
Is it potentially bad? So far it works well.

What options do I have to get basic voice control in GNU/Linux?

Looking into Fedora now. Will this include grub so I can dual boot? I promise I'm not actually retarded

Not that guy but yes, the Fedora installer (Anaconda) comes with everything you will need for installation. I personally recommend the Net-Installation media, as I prefer XFCE as my DE over GNOME and the Net-Install allows me to select that

why are people hating red hat?

Pretty new to Linux, been trying to use mopidy on Xubuntu running as a service, problem is that it can't access my music.

The music exists in "/media/name/Media/Audio/Music", the directory is owned by my user (it does have rwx for everyone though), but I can't chown it to user mopidy. Is there any way to allow mopidy to read these files?

My uneducated guess is it has to do with the drive being mounted by my user, but how do I solve that then?

The only error I receive is "Local media dir /media/name/Media/Audio/Music does not exist." Presumably because it can't read it.

something something pulseaudio something systemd something something jews

Open Source faggotry.

you can select an alternative "spin" of fedora
so you can get boot media that runs fedora with xfce, mate, cinnamon, or a couple others, in addition to boot media that installs GNOME 3
so you can get an xfce spin that doesn't bloat you up with other DEs