/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WNTohRqLNlg
youtu.be/isoFW9vobvI?t=3m
strawpoll.me/12038159
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That picture is a serious step down from the previous thread.

I wouldnt have bought the S5 (top one) if i knew it would be so puny on my big wrist. All the other watches i inherited.

aand last one

>I want a 48mm Panerai because I'm a big boy

>Panerai
hell no dont like their designs

> (You)
>>IWC's are very expensive pleb catchers, designed and marketed specifically to appeal to noveau riche men once they have money but before they know anything about watches.
>I think that's a little harsh. The quintessentially Portuguese line would be a decent wristwatch choice if it wasn't so ridiculously fucking expensive. But yeah I wouldn't buy one simply because their are much fucking higher grade chronographs (amongst other things) for that kind of money.

Look at this add and tell me with a straight face that IWC's target market isn't literally the exact same people who buy Panerais.

They rely on aesthetically appealing to newly well off guys who like shiny objects but have no concept of watch design traditions and norms, and who haven't yet grasped the concept of subtlety.

CHR. WARD is built on literally the same business model of targeting plebs who know nothing about watches and shares IWCs total lack of a brand identity.

Both brands are utterly cringe inducing and should be shunned by a watch enthusiast.

That's more like it!
More seriously, I had only seen Hajime Asaoka's watches in passing and never paid attention to it, but that big balance wheel is really impressive.
I'm having a hard time finding out more about his watches, since he doesn't seem to have a dedicated website for them, but the videos on youtube make for great viewing.
Apparently he's self-taught too, which sounds crazy when you see the quality of the watches he makes.
And now I want a Pura. That big bridge looks crazy. Too bad it hides most of the rest of the movement.

IWC has managed a couple innovative well.

Can't say the same for Christopher Ward, obviously.

All of this is true and much more, but I still think the Portugiser chronograph looks great.
And they have made some pretty neat watches over the years, in the ingenieur family among others.

If I wear an Orient Bambino dress watch to a formal dinner, will I be laughed at?

Why would you be?
Nobody will notice what brand you're wearing, and most people won't register that you're wearing a watch at all.

Pro-tip: only watch nerds give a fuck what's on your wrist. As long as it fits your outfit no one will care.

Depends who u be dining with tbqhwufamalamadingdong

Are there any good watches I'm the £300-£600 in other word mid ranged watches, other than Tossit and Hamilton I can't fathom any

>Hah, that pleb has a watch that isn't a rollie

What I'm tryin to say is what would be a step up from a seiko snk809

literally anything

precision german engineering

i don't see the attraction to most of their product, but i like that one

>i don't see the attraction to most of their product
Same.

I get the fact that they're rugged and scratch proof and all, but it's all so fucking matte.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one for for $500. Thoughts?

And by contrast I like a lot of their lineup but can't stand that model. I'd take an 856 over that any day of the week.

The date window is disgusting. Date window at 4 looks like something someone who just got into watches would think is "neat looking and interesting". Would look much better if they just left it off.

i'd probably think that one was ok too if it wasn't for the date @ 4:00
just not a fan of that placement

is this watch (AR1704) any good?

it was a Christmas gift, and didnt like, i always used a digital watch since a kid (using Casio F-91W for 5 years still running good).

The face they made when i said it was crap...even telling me it cost 200€.
Like i care about the price, i need a reliable watch i can use anywhere (bath(hot/cold), in the work handling chemicals,etc).
Too me its a waste of money, imo.

It looks p sweet but what are the letters on the dial in the chapter ring

It's bad, but they bought it for you because they thought it was good.

>>the only cheap gmts are gmt-master copies
>why must i suffer
False

It's a shit quartz fashion watch

A real formal dinner (black/white tie event), wearing any watch is frowned upon.

It's pretty good, just make sure you check out some real world wrist shots rather than the super touched up marketing photos; I've found the watch looks a lot different without the studio and photos hope.

Its part of the atomic clock function.

that one isn't lmao

Or they just don't want to interrupt the numerals. It's a pretty good look if you have to have a date, especially with a colour matching date ring.

What he said. The placement is perfectly logical from a form follows function perspective.

yeah and a $20 casio has world time
i obviously wasn't talking about quartz

Yes, he could buy complete dogshit instead, but he probably doesn't want to.

This poster lives in the 1950s

Oh yeah 'obviously'.

Lol, just be quiet you incredibly asspained dogshit owner. $230 for a fuckin rondha quartz assemblage of Chinese parts, holy shit LOL.

Laughing_Whores.jpg

Ignore this cunt. Although it may be a bad watch it's the thought that counts. Now go tell your mother it's a nice watch and you like it

>
How did you know??

I've always been so discreet...

youtube.com/watch?v=WNTohRqLNlg

Was in fact... a response to >

Nope. It can sync up via radio with an atomic clock. Pretty overkill.

Shit idk how my post got deleted but that's madness.
But what do they meanà

youtu.be/isoFW9vobvI?t=3m

Go to 3:00

these are my 3 favorites. i usually wear the gshock at work because i use the functions.

Holy fuck dude that's amazing I can see why it costs as much as it does niw

Fair play to casio

>Pink hands
>Pink dial
>Black dial with pink decoration
Are you some sort of homosexual?

that's orange on all three of those

You're either colorblind or a troll. Go away.

Thinking of buying a Seagull, talk me out of it.

do it
28mm, acrylic

Buy it. Only reason you wanna be talked out of it is because of the money. You've already been mentally budgeting as if you've already spent for that watch.

you'll look like a commie faggot

I'm thinking about buying a Citizen. Will that make me a fag? If so, what's a good alternative?

Seiko prolly

This thing has no Sinn technology in it. There's no point in buying it other than brandwhoring.

Fine what watch would be the next step up from a seiko snk809

it is functional. Personally I would generally prefer no date at all rather than a date that isn't on a horizontal or vertical axis of the dial.

I'd still wear one if I liked the overall watch because I already wear a seiko 5 and I'm not fond of simple day-date wheels either

basically all date complications are form after function to me except where it is clear the designers took care to consider how to incorporate the date rather than just add it as an afterthought.

for instance, a JLC master calender or Rolez Datejust have nice date/calender functions, but the JLC master control or rolex submariner date seem like someone said "it needs a date, add one"

this

Have a watchmaker replace the red star with a swastika.

>pink
Tell me without googling what number is in this image.

the number is pink

Alright slapped in the new dial and Neptune hands. The hands were painted by Favinov with superluminova, the dial was painted by me with Nemoto Luminova.

Looks like shit, especially magnified, I think I didn't add enough thinner, but it can't be removed now, and behind the thick acrylic at irl magnification it's acceptable, so I'll try not to be bothered by it. At least it's bright as fuck.

Old dial next to it for comparison, if I hate it I can always go back, but the Neptune hands will probably stay.

That's a 2 on a 45 degree slant

you could have chosen a decent looking dial at least, post a lume shot pls.

>Didn't thin his paints
Literally /tg/ meme material right here. Post that in the work in progress thread.

Whelp, I finally cracked and knowingly overpaid for a blue sunburst LM Special.

At least I know for sure the dial is in immaculate condition. Here's a little teaser pic.

Is that NOS or something? Pretty nice either way.

Like stars in the night. And it was actually made to a higher standard than my speedmaster. Good bang for buck.

This had the largest indices and numerals, i.e. the most are for lume. Also it has a sunburst effect which I thought was extinct in current production Vostok dials.

Shut up tripfag idiot, it's not like YOU ever post anything.

What's the best place for watch sales? Massdrop?

>Fee fee status: hurt

The place with the best prices. Just gotta scour. Find a watch you like and sit on it. Set up notices for price drops on Amazon. Wait for big holidays, there's usually good deals then.

I bought one and couldn't be more happier. People love it and nobody thinks I'm a commie faggot.

Ps: buy the 38mm acrylic version if u don't have gigantic wrists. The watch wears much bigger than the 37mm SNK809, for reference.

That's just wrong.

No, no and no. He won't look like a commie faggots, u idiots. Stop watching Archie.

>made to a higher standard than my speedmaster
It's really not. It's a decent watch but you have no idea what you're talking about if you've actually seen them side by side and think the buluva is a higher standard

SRPB09.
This looks dope.

Not quite but close. I don't like the case style as it has hooded, non standard sized lugs, but that isn't an issue for me as I already have a 5206-6060 which has a dial variant that was also offered in the case the blue dial is in.

Once it gets here I can just swap the blue dial and movement into the 6060 case, since I know 100% they use the same dials.

>nobody thinks I'm a commie faggot
I do

It's nearly 44m though.

I wonder if they will re-release more samurais

Everyone ITT hates you.

strawpoll.me/12038159
And I'm gonna prove it.

Nah. 9balls is a faggot. But I don't hate him.

I fucking owned one, printing is better, fit and finish is better (omega had slight endlink rattle, this has none), lume is better. Its just better. Get over it.

No

I could see a long haired english teacher over in china wearing that watch, which he winds up before he reads a page our of karl marx's manifesto then later goes to the store and gets beat up by some 4th graders

Are any accutrons good?

Yes.

What if I told you I'm a conservative libertarian?

Sorry I phrased that wrong. I mean are any of watches in the accutron line solid?

The ones that don't have a super busy dial are okay. IIRC they have mineral crystals which is a turn off.

Hey /wt/ all I have is one of the new Fossil Hybrids, where should I go from here if I'm looking at something usable daily but still stylish?

Looks like shit. Angles are gross. The crown is disgusting.

Stuhrling any good?

I'm so scared right now guys.